Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Snowball bush cuttings

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 3, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2005
12:36 PM

Post #1588121

I'm new here and an amateur gardener. I was hoping to find out how difficult it would be to start some snowball bushes from cuttings ??? Should I wait and do this at a certain time of year... like early spring or late fall?? I guess I could start them inside in a pot of soil and put them in the ground in the spring ...assuming they root for me. I have hormone powder and am hoping that will help.

Any advice would be appreciated on this subject

I have to get me nerve up to get the cuttings as it is...lol. I found a very nice bush at an old cemetary in the next town. Every time I drive by I can feel my fingers itch...lol, but I keep thinking my God I'll be arrested for defacing public property or something. I may chicken out...lol, but if not want to be prepared so my cuttings will live.

Thanks for the info... Julie =0)
8ftbed
Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2005
4:10 PM

Post #1591370

Go for it Julie! If it's a "bush" there's plenty to go around and nothing ventured, nothing gained. You should be able to take a couple of branches from inconspicuous areas and have enough cuttings to experiment, inside/outside/inground and in water. :)

Also you could search / ask over in the propagation forum but I'd imagine this bush is fairly easy.
blaine
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1592025

I have taken cuttings from bushes in a few cemetarys... shhhhh There are a few things to keep in notice, just go in like you own the place, take a very small piece with hard and soft wood... second know the name of someone in there! If I am asked I say I am here to visit a grave of so-and-so they assume you are taking a small piece for a memory. I have only taken two plants and they both made it.
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2005
6:04 PM

Post #1593945

Thankyou both for your replies. I don't feel quite as guilty for the thought of taking a sample cutting or two from the cemetary. I'll let you know how it goes... if they arrest me it will be in the local paper everything is in a small town...lol.

Good advice on the "visiting/momento" idea. I will have to scope it out more. The bush is along a pathway in the middle of the cemetary. I'll have to see "who" is nearby.

Happy 4th of July

~Julie =0)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America