Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Snowball bush cuttings

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 3, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2005
12:36 PM

Post #1588121

I'm new here and an amateur gardener. I was hoping to find out how difficult it would be to start some snowball bushes from cuttings ??? Should I wait and do this at a certain time of year... like early spring or late fall?? I guess I could start them inside in a pot of soil and put them in the ground in the spring ...assuming they root for me. I have hormone powder and am hoping that will help.

Any advice would be appreciated on this subject

I have to get me nerve up to get the cuttings as it is...lol. I found a very nice bush at an old cemetary in the next town. Every time I drive by I can feel my fingers itch...lol, but I keep thinking my God I'll be arrested for defacing public property or something. I may chicken out...lol, but if not want to be prepared so my cuttings will live.

Thanks for the info... Julie =0)
8ftbed
Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2005
4:10 PM

Post #1591370

Go for it Julie! If it's a "bush" there's plenty to go around and nothing ventured, nothing gained. You should be able to take a couple of branches from inconspicuous areas and have enough cuttings to experiment, inside/outside/inground and in water. :)

Also you could search / ask over in the propagation forum but I'd imagine this bush is fairly easy.
blaine
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1592025

I have taken cuttings from bushes in a few cemetarys... shhhhh There are a few things to keep in notice, just go in like you own the place, take a very small piece with hard and soft wood... second know the name of someone in there! If I am asked I say I am here to visit a grave of so-and-so they assume you are taking a small piece for a memory. I have only taken two plants and they both made it.
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2005
6:04 PM

Post #1593945

Thankyou both for your replies. I don't feel quite as guilty for the thought of taking a sample cutting or two from the cemetary. I'll let you know how it goes... if they arrest me it will be in the local paper everything is in a small town...lol.

Good advice on the "visiting/momento" idea. I will have to scope it out more. The bush is along a pathway in the middle of the cemetary. I'll have to see "who" is nearby.

Happy 4th of July

~Julie =0)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America