A tree fell on my friend's house

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

This tree fell on my friend's bedroom.

Thumbnail by GreenThumbGreen
Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

A shot from the inside.

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

The living room, right next to the bedroom.

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

A tree across the street from them fell, and it had a beehive in it. Notice the chunk of honeycomb in the grass.

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

A tree in the alley behind their house fell.

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

It used to shade the neighbor's garden. Now his garden gets full sun.

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

my friends are all okay. they were just seconds from being hit by the tree though. They were headed for the bathroom to take shelter in the tub when the tree fell through. One was in bed, and the other was in the living room with the children.
If it would have happened one night later, i may have been sitting in one of those chairs in the living room.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2005 4:11 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Scary.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sure glad everyone is ok!

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

Very strong winds blew down trees and snapped telephone poles all over Chanute Kansas. A fireworks tent was destroyed, and a brand new fifty thousand dollar camper was tossed across a field as if it were nothing.
There were pictures of golf ball sized hail in the paper, and reports of even larger hail.
My friends were not the only people that had property damage, but their case was one of the worst. Luckily for them, they were just renting, but they did lose alot of personal items, and now they have to go through the stress of an unplanned move.
I was shocked not to see it on the weather channel. They did a story about a man in Illinois that had a tree in his yard split in half and crush some of his grass, and I can see how that must be much more important than my friend's home being destroyed. (sarchasm)
Maybe they just hadn't heard about it, or maybe I missed it. It did make local news and papers though.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Just be thankful they dont own the house and have to endure the torture of the displacement & rebuild. That was the worst year of deception in my DM's life when a tree destroyed half of her home.
Glad your friends are okay. Did they have renter's insurance?
sidney

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Devastating, sure glad nobody got hurt, but what a shambles it made.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Goodness! Glad to hear no one was hurt! When I see pictures like these, it makes me eye our 100-foot sycamore and tall fir trees out back with suspicion. At least the wind usually blows away from our house...

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Very scary...we have a very large oak in front of our house that worried me last hurricane season. The tree seems strong and healthy but... Glad no one was hurt!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha! We have two tall cottonwoods that worry me. During a t-storm 3 years ago a large limb from one broke off and landed on a neighbors shed luckily causing no damage. Whew!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.