-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2005
11:45 PM

Post #1599127

I took this picture in Jeremy's yard for Identification.
Got any ideas what the flowering white plant is on the left?
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2005
12:15 AM

Post #1599169

Thanks, Sidney, for the photo and for posting it with the query.

I checked all my empty seed packets, and there was nothing remotely similar to this that I planted. It may have been a stray seed in one of the other packs. I just broadcast planted a bunch of seed packs due to lack of time.

As you can see from the photo, the plant has leaves almost like a morning glory. If I had seen it growing amonst my sunflowers, I might have pulled it up, thinking it was one of the purple Hedge Bind Weeds that are so plentiful here. The bottom half of the stem is BRIGHT red. The entire plant is only about 1 ft tall.

The white flowers are in numerous, small pointed clusters (racemes, I think they are called in the correct terminology). There is one flower in the photo that can be clearly seen and shows the little five petaled individual flowers about 1/4 inch across.

This one has me totally stumped. I don't even have a guess as to what genus it might be.

Jeremy
juja
Lake City, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2005
12:56 AM

Post #1599235

Jeremy - how tall is it - the leaves almost resemble a Chinese Tallow Tree (Popcorn Tree) ????
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2005
1:05 AM

Post #1599256

Only 1 ft. tall.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2005
10:58 AM

Post #1599868

I'll get back over there and do a better picture...After coffee.
sidney
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2005
3:11 AM

Post #1601927

The leaves are very much like tallow tree, but this one is blooming at only about 1 ft high. I don't know that I've ever seen the blooms on a tallow tree, just the resulting "popcorn" like seed pods, so it could be a VERY small tallow tree, but I don't think so.
juja
Lake City, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2005
10:18 AM

Post #1602261

Your right - I've got lots of little "tallow" trees and never seen them bloom at that height.

Take care of it - you may have something special growing :-)
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2005
12:42 PM

Post #1602421

To me, the leaves also look like Cherokee Bean (Erythrina herbacea), but the flowers obviously don't match.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2005
2:37 PM

Post #1602731

I ordered the packets of seeds that I broadcast planted in this area from Wildseed Farms in Fredricksburg, TX. I never got around to planting the seeds in 2004, kept them in my fridge crisper for about a year, and finally just broadcast them along Dogzilla's Way in the backyard. Most of the seeds germinated and grew! A good endorsement for Wildseed Farms, I think!

So, this may be a Texas hitchhiker that came along in one of the seed packs. I can't find any of the seed packets I had that would have resulted in this unusual guy, and I've never seen anything around our region remotely similar. I'm going to try to get a really good pix (not meaning to insult your photography skills, Sugarweed -- it was a quick snapshot you got -- I will go out there and fastidiously study the light and change the background with a dark or light panel to try to get the 1/4 inch flowers to show up). I'll make a post to the ID Forum. The folks over there have been able to ID just about every UFO (Unidentified Flowering Object) that I've found so far in my garden.

Jeremy
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

April 26, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #4867732

It's buckwheat!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4867859

Hey, I think you are right, Kalpav! It does look like Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31447/).

This was certainly a blast from the past or maybe just an acknowledgment of how bad my memory is getting -- I don't even remember the plant, Sidney taking a photo, or the photo being posted here for I.D. If I had been sworn in with a lie detector test, I would have emphatically stated none of this ever happened! LOL I wonder what else I've forgotten... maybe the "Jerry Wayne Lucas" (my actual legal name) wanted for attempted homicide in Texas really IS me!!

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/

Scary what you find when you do a Google search for your own name.

I greatly appreciate that you solve this old mystery, Kalpavriksha. I notice you are from Florida. Come join us in the Florida Forum chat threads. We have a lot of fun in there and stay in touch with what is going on (plus you can get some great plants from those that have them to share! LOL)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/839532/

Jeremy
baskcomet
Naples, FL

June 12, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8626755

you guys are killing me...i was almost thinking the flower looked like "mountain laurel"
however the leaf did resemble morning glory...i have never seen buckwheat grow...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM
Is there a specific Southwest FL thread? Sallyoyo 109 Nov 6, 2007 2:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America