Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Bedroom window

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deb789
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2005
5:18 PM

Post #1603173

I have a house. When i bought it it was 40 years old and it came with the original windows. I want to replace my windows. So i can see outside as you can see it has the rectangular look. Is there any way to remodle my windows something cheap? Can i cut this type siding? Please help!! Go to my website and check out my window. http://community.webshots.com/user/deb789

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1618909

Your siding looks like masonite siding, easily cut. Since there isn't really a close-up of the siding, look closely first and be sure it's long boards, NOT individual tiles with up and down grooves which would indicate asbestos siding.

If it's asbestos, sell they house. Asbestos removal can cost many, many thousands of dollars since it's a hazardous material. Doesn't really look like it in the photo, though.

Framing for new windows in a wood-framed house with masonite is an easy task. Just don't get all vinyl windows. Gardenwife had some good research last year when they got new windows. Go to her member page here, and check threads she started. If it's not there, drop her a Dmail. She'll be very helpful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America