Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: generic garage door opener

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 7, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2005
5:35 PM

Post #1603212

Our garage door was here when we moved in 17-18 years ago. It is an automatic manuf. by VEMCO which is no longer in business. Are there generic remote openers like in tv/dvd players? We just us the button on the inside of the garage to open/close but would like to get remotes for our cars. thanks.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2005
12:24 PM

Post #1605213

I found this, anastatia.
http://www.securityworld.com/homeapt/garagedoor.html

Also this

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=879625&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D30X-_-879625&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=10-10217413-2

This message was edited Jul 7, 2005 8:27 AM
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2005
5:09 PM

Post #1605825

rbb, Thank you. I took a peek at these and will read them thoroughly soon. Mary
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2005
4:54 AM

Post #1607345

rbbob, the home depot remote is way cheaper then the other one but it reads that it works with "80%" of garage doors. Would you guess the other 20% would be mine that is at least 20 years old?
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2005
10:24 AM

Post #1607487

Probably. Have a look at this site. It mentions Stanley VEMCO parts. Maybe Stanley bought out VEMCO.

http://www.homepopular.net/members/stanleygarageopener/
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2005
4:01 PM

Post #1608168

Yea, I think Stanley did buy out VEMCO. I have the original owners manual. I saw where Radio Shack sells universal remotes also. Will take the manual w/ me. Altho, the last time I was at Rad. S. I had the most indifferent salesman.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2005
3:03 AM

Post #1609615

Also you might want to put a surge protector on your garage door opener. We have lost 2 in 3 years when lightning struck our house. This is something noone
seems to mention when they sell you one. We are still without a garage door opener. And now no car anyway. :o)

Sandy
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2005
4:01 AM

Post #1609847

lightening striking a house in the Pac NW? Did it blow out all your electricity?

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America