generic garage door opener

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Our garage door was here when we moved in 17-18 years ago. It is an automatic manuf. by VEMCO which is no longer in business. Are there generic remote openers like in tv/dvd players? We just us the button on the inside of the garage to open/close but would like to get remotes for our cars. thanks.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

rbb, Thank you. I took a peek at these and will read them thoroughly soon. Mary

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

rbbob, the home depot remote is way cheaper then the other one but it reads that it works with "80%" of garage doors. Would you guess the other 20% would be mine that is at least 20 years old?

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Probably. Have a look at this site. It mentions Stanley VEMCO parts. Maybe Stanley bought out VEMCO.

http://www.homepopular.net/members/stanleygarageopener/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Yea, I think Stanley did buy out VEMCO. I have the original owners manual. I saw where Radio Shack sells universal remotes also. Will take the manual w/ me. Altho, the last time I was at Rad. S. I had the most indifferent salesman.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Also you might want to put a surge protector on your garage door opener. We have lost 2 in 3 years when lightning struck our house. This is something noone
seems to mention when they sell you one. We are still without a garage door opener. And now no car anyway. :o)

Sandy

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

lightening striking a house in the Pac NW? Did it blow out all your electricity?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.