Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Florida Gardening: Field Trip to Top Tropicals

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 67, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2005
12:24 AM

Post #1606593

Today I met up with Artcons and Jnana at Top Tropicals. They sure do have a lot of unusual plants. We had a great time at the nursery, and then went on to tour Jnana's gardens.

Last week Happy_1 (she had car troubles and couldn't make it today) and I toured Artcons gardens. Art is a self taught master at propagating from cuttings.

Jnana, a master gardener, has so many different varieties of plants, bushes, trees and vines. She has a compact yard but everything is wonderfully laid out. She has just a little bit of grass she is trying to get rid of, for more plants. She remembers everything, all their names and all.

We took some clippings and Art took them home to root them out. You could say I was being lazy, but he does a great job with cuttings, and I had to run off to see a customer so didn't want them in the car, cooking.

Okay, this is what I picked up today:
1 Gardenia Kula- Golden Gardenia
4 Crossandra "Shamrock Green"
2 Clitoria "Blue"
2 Jewels of Opar, Solid Green with pink flowers
1 Cuphea, Bat Face

Art took pictures so hopefully he will find us here and post some.

I didn't get home til about 7 and found a box on the porch from Pinnellas Park. Guess what it was...plants. :^))))))

A great day today and so wonderful meeting our gardening friends. Next week, it's at my house!!!!

Molly
:^)))

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2005
12:33 AM

Post #1606619

Sounds like you had fun, Molly and that you got some nice goodies!!
:) Donna
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
12:40 AM

Post #1606627

Molly, it was great meeting you and Art. I had a very nice time in spite of the melting heat, plus I got some more plants. What could be better!!!

I hope we can get to do this again. I would love to see your collection of plants.

Now, I want to see the pictures that Art took. I think we will get a chuckle because we both were wet from the rain.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:14 AM
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2005
1:26 AM

Post #1606756

Pinellas Park? Who could that be from LOL
Liila
Lantana, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2005
3:14 AM

Post #1607193

So Molly...What day next week is the meeting at your house? ;-D
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2005
10:48 AM

Post #1607501

How does Wednesday sound?

:^))))
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2005
11:05 AM

Post #1607528

Molly what kind of plants did b/lr send? Are they not steamed?
I am sending some to Mississippi next monday.
sidney
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
11:18 AM

Post #1607547

Morning all. Great time yesterday.
The nursery was nice but a tad high priced. I found a nice sized Blue Glory Bower, Clerodendrum ugandense exactly what I went there for. It will blend in nicely with my Rose and Flaming glory colors.
Nice to meet Val, (jnana) and see Molly (MollyMc) again, although we missed Nancy Lee (Happy_1).
The highlight of the day was a visit to Val's garden. Spectacular would be close to describing her garden.
I have a couple of shots of Val's garden. With her permission I will post one of the view along the back walkway.
Looking forward to the next mini local gt (get together) and garden visit.
Until then, here's a shot of Val (on left) and Molly on the patio.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Click the image for an enlarged view.

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
11:35 AM

Post #1607567

Wednesday is good for me. Count me in.
If anyone coming wants cuttings of anything I have, speak up and I will make them for you. In a short while, after I get out the weekly trash, and yard clippings for pick up, I will post a listing of cuttings I currently have growing in my nursery area. These are ready for planting.
For a listing of my native plants I have growing in the yard which I can make cuttings for you, visit this area. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525068/
The listing and pictures of stuff I have growing in the yard that are posted in the plant files are in this area.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/imagesbyuser.php?user=artcons
Any other requests, just ask.
Art

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2005
12:29 PM

Post #1607664

Boo Hoo...weds I will be on my way to Chicago to visit my DD...this is the week end that she has the Garden Walk and wanted me there for all the fun...

It looks as all had a wonderful time. I finally got my car from the shop at 5:15...not happy...

Don't forget about me, I will be back Monday the 18th.

Hugs to all.

Hap
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
4:34 PM

Post #1608245

My haul at yesterday's mini Top Tropical's GT was obtained courtesy of Val. She gave me a bunch of cuttings.
They are shown after processing. As you can see I practice what I preach by using terrariums for my cuttings. One item I forgot to mention in my little piece on making terrariums (link follows) is they sit nicely in 2 liter soda bottle handlingcontainers. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525641/
If you ask at your local convience store they will give you one. Coke or Pepsi might mind but the convience store owner won't care. Besides, think of all the free advertising they are getting. Wouldn't a nice ice cold Coke taste great after a hard afternoon of gardening?
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Liila
Lantana, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2005
4:39 PM

Post #1608248

Wednesday? Boo-hoo!

I work Wednesday, but am off Thursdays and Saturdays...Let me know if you guys ever get together on a Thursday or Saturday...
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
4:46 PM

Post #1608263

For those of you coming to Molly's next Wednesday, I have the following plants available for the taking. If you see something you would like to have, just note me and I will bring them along for you.
These are first come first serve. I have some dup's, but not all.
Several Native cardboard palms about 3-4" in height.
2-Ti plants 1-12" 1- 24"
2-Shooting Star plants each about 2'
Several Jade plants about 12" high
2-Lantana (violet-yellow-orange) great for butterflies 7-8" each
Several Schefflera "Nova" this grows big but it's great for butterflies. 7-8"
2-Native Blanket flower about 7 "
2-Native Dune sunflower about 7"
2-Native Scorpion tail about 5"
1 Firebush about 12"
2 Copper leaf Jacob's Coat about 3"
1-Mexican sunflower (perennial) yellow (gets very big) tallest shoot about 24"

All the above are rooted and growing nicely.

Art

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2005
5:16 PM

Post #1608345

What happened to Tuesday? Anyone for Tuesday? Going once, going twice???????
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1608346

I'm glad everyone had a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing the photographs.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2005
5:26 PM

Post #1608397

Alright, How about 2morrow? Being Staurday we can get Liila down here.

We're not doing anything but watching that hurricane roll past us anyway, right? Happy can come, hopefully Val. Art can you come tomorrow?

I don't have to woooorrrrkkkkk.. nyhnyhnyh

Molly

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2005
5:33 PM

Post #1608416

OK on this end...what time...where?
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
5:33 PM

Post #1608421

I'm available either day, in fact, my wife is working through next Thursday so I am available anytime. They just changed shifts where my wife works, so she doesn't get a day off until next Friday.
Don't forget my offer of bringing along the plants I have available. I need the space folks. Planting time is quickly approaching and I need to get my cuttings going to be ready to plant late August. I only have so much room in my nursery area.
Art
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
5:37 PM

Post #1608429

On the pictures, I sent them to Val for her approval. It's her garden so I want her to pick which pictures I send up for public viewing.
There is a picture of Val and Molly earlier in this thread.
Art
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2005
5:48 PM

Post #1608463

This one is at my house and the time? 1:30 is good for me. I'll get some ice tea made and ready, I'm sure we will need it.

I will dmail you each and give you the address and directions.

We can go from here to another nursery if you like. Be ready to take plants or cuttings home with you.

Art, I would really like some help on rooting out some B'fly bush. I took cuttings a week or so back and they are not doing very well.

Okay, off to do D-mails to yall.

Molly

P.S. Sidney, sorry I forgot. The plants I received all this week have been in fine shape 2nd day priority. Let me know what you are shipping and I can offer some suggestions to packaging.
KillerChihuahua
Merritt Island, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2005
5:50 PM

Post #1608472

I am sooooo jealous.

*snif*

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2005
7:03 PM

Post #1608674

Come on Killer...
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2005
8:48 PM

Post #1608824

I have tried posting for about an hour and all I get is an error message. I hope this one goes through.

A mini RU at Molly's house sounds great. Tomorrow may be a bit iffy for me, but I'll see if I can rearrange my schedule.

Art, thank you for your kind words describing my little jungle. I would like to have some of your cuttings. I'm interested in the Blanket flower, Dune sunflower, Scorpion tail, and the Mexican sunflower. That is if no one has already asked for any of them. In any case, I would be happy with any of those.

Molly, I think we came out looking pretty good in that picture. Don't you think? LOL
I'll let you know later if I'll be able to go to your house. I really don't want to miss it.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:15 AM
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2005
1:41 AM

Post #1609448

Hi Val, I'll bring 'em along for you. They are all rooted and doing as well as can be expected in my outdoor nursery with all this wind.
See ya there!
Art
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1609458

Molly, I picked up four soda bottles from our recycles today. I'll bring them along with four 4" pots some new friends brought over last week. Then show you how to do it.

See ya Saturday! I had to edit that in just in case. I didn't think I made it clear I would be there Saturday, just in case anyone misunderstood. Hopefully I can get rid of a few more plants on Saturday.
Art

This message was edited Jul 8, 2005 9:52 PM
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1609481

Art! Thanks. Do you know how to drain and split a coconut?

Molly
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 9, 2005
2:01 AM

Post #1609498

Yes Molly, I do. My next door neighbor, the one with the cashew tree, used to have two large coconut palms until two weeks ago, when he sold them for $250. each. He used a machete when he showed me. It's easier than with a knife which is usually not heavy or long enough.
I am outta here.
See ya
Art
Pssst can i interest you in some plants...
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2005
2:52 AM

Post #1611923

We (Molly, Val, Nancy Lee and Art) had a nice time this afternoon at our mini GT at Molly's house/garden. The weather was cooperative for our tour of her garden, which was ripe for cuttings. We helped ourselves and all came away with lots of plants & cuttings to enhance our gardens.
Molly served tea with home grown and home processed Stevia leaves.
Since you have already seen our pictures, today I will send up a picture of a Black Swallowtail cat on Molly's green fennel, then in my next post, a Black Swallowtail in the chrysalis stage on a plant I didn't get the name of.
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2005
3:19 AM

Post #1611997

These afternoons I spend with "these ladies" at these outings are just great. They have so much gardening knowledge between them, which they willingly share, each time we get together is a learning experience for me.
We may not solve the problems of the world, nor do we try, but being with them and getting a chance to get away from my everyday routine and into something I really enjoy and share experiences with is the best.
They are such a joy to be with.
Not sure of where or when the next mini GT will be, but someone will let us know. If you are close by, come join us.
Here is a shot of a Black Swallowtail in chrysalis at Molly's.
Till the next time,
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2005
4:00 AM

Post #1612170

On the famous "Mother of thousands", I didn't know they were host.
Glad ya'll are having a great time.
sidney
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2005
10:10 AM

Post #1612421

Hi Sidney, the Mother of thousands you refer to isn't the host, it's just a place where the cat chose to go into chrysalis. They attach themselves to almost anything, including walls, fences, other bushes, outdoor decorations, etc. They don't seem to be fussy at all when choosing a place for this stage.
Yeah, these mini GT's are fun, especially so with this group. They are very outgoing and generous with their plants and the knowledge they are willing to share.
Art
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2005
11:59 AM

Post #1612518

The plant the chrysalis is on is: French Lavender. That was in my herb garden right next to the fennel that they feasted on.

I really enjoyed having yall come to visit. It gave me a chance to share some of my plants with you. So much to see, look at and say I want. And so easy to share, either by cuttings or just digging them up. A chance to get something new and different.

Last week Art gave me some red bleeding heart and yesterday Nancy brought over some white bleeding heart vine. These will look great together.

Art brought me some 2 liter bottles and some 4' pots so I can start cuttings using his terrerium method and he told me how to cut some coconuts to ready them as orchid pots. He has a lot of information to share with us too.

The next visit will be at Nancy's house when she returns from Chicago.

Take care.
Molly
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2005
12:14 PM

Post #1612541

Molly I found myself saying, Oh!...Oh!...Oh!
Will have to get some Frech Lavender at Maggie's when we go. and of course fennel and Mexican sunflowers.
Hoping to meet Art at Tissue culture class. It's been my pleasure to meet Molly and I feel like I know Happy.
Haven't met "Val" yet, so she's new to me, but a great addition to the Florida Flower Friends, LOL
sidney

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2005
1:30 PM

Post #1612705

Sugar, you know you're always welcome...who cares about a 30 hour drive? heheh me who has trouble going 20 min to Molly's.

We did have a great time and our mouths didn't stop a bit. So much info in one place...Everyone was something to bring to the table..

Next time...me...

How about 7/22, it's a Friday????

Hap

grakay

grakay
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2005
1:36 PM

Post #1612732

Just gotta, gotta have the French Lavender! Oy, how fast is this list going to be, and how much more grass do I kill with newspaper and mulch for my next garden room? OY! LOL

Gracie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2005
1:37 PM

Post #1612736

Save your Sunday papers, Gracie...

grakay

grakay
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2005
1:42 PM

Post #1612751

And, Monday thru Friday! At the rate things are going, I need a...oooh, just had an idea...I wonder if the local news paper would have blanks in a roll that I could buy from them...BIG roll, that is! Maybe two, or three!

When we moved here, I did some of the packing, and went to local newspaper in Va., and they were happy to give blanks to me.

Gracie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2005
1:45 PM

Post #1612763

No, Gracie, just get the big roll of paper, BEFORE they print...have that delievered to your house...LOL My o my, what will the neighbors say now?

Hap

grakay

grakay
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2005
2:00 PM

Post #1612801

Hap, my neighbors already think I'm nutso with my garden, and sometimes I actually feel a bit intimidated going outside 6:30 am! By the time 7-7:30 rolls around, I see people in their cars going to work, and glancing over...I've even ran into the house! ROFL

Not too many in this area have the same passion as I! But, on the positive side, two neighbors have actually asked me for cuttings, and I was more than happy to share...I'll make them DGers, yet!! LOL

Oh, and btw, that's what I meant, .those big blank rolls of unprinted paper; came in very handy when packing...never thought I'd use them for mulch! LOL

Gracie
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2005
2:44 PM

Post #1612902

Here are some pictures of Val's garden from our visit there last week.

The first shot is from the outside entrance looking into her indoor patio/garden.

Thumbnail by artcons

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2005
2:50 PM

Post #1612920

Another shot of Val's gardens. This is from her sliding door looking at the right side of her patio/garden.

Thumbnail by artcons

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2005
2:56 PM

Post #1612940

Last shot of Val's gardens. This is the path around the screened patio you have just seen, or her outdoor garden in the back.
See all the nice places you have missed by not joining us at our little weekly gatherings.
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2005
3:10 PM

Post #1612981

Art, Those are some great shots. Where did you get the sun, did you edit that in? I remember it was raining at Vals'.

By the way, Didn't you want some cuttings of that yellow B'fly bush?

Val, I forgot to dig some of that wild portulacca for you. Sorry. My memory is so bad. I took care of some of those things in the pond we talked about yesterday. Now there is more sun coming in to let the lilies find their way to the surface. I know in my efforts to keep some of the sun out to avoid the algae I went a little overboard. But it's better now. I can spare some of the flowering sensitive if you want to put some of that in your pond. I think it would be lovely and it would like being there as well. I can even give you a piece of the other water sensitive. They have really done well and are growing right over the edges.

Nancy, I wish I had something special to send you home with (other than my doggies gifts on your shoes). When you come back from Chicago, we'll see what that might be.

Molly
:^))))

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2005
4:19 PM

Post #1613160

I'm saving up for the biggie...Molly...
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
1:14 AM

Post #1614311

The sun, I remember it well. Used to see it around here all the time. With the rain this past 6 weeks, I hardly remember it anymore. If only the sun would hold back for another 6 or 7 weeks, we would be in September and the summer would be just about over, sigh!

Yes, I wanted cuttings of yellow b'fly bush, but I forgot. Perhaps you could bring me one at the next GT. I also wanted a piece of Stevia. Perhaps you could bring me a piece of that too.

I think we need to organize these visits so we accomplish all we want to do. We did so much talking we saved the cuttings for when we were leaving and rushed it.

I have all the stuff I gathered in yesterday planted, except the seeds.

We are into the second week from our visit to Val's. The cuttings from Val's might be ready for our next GT.

Would you Dmail me the names of a couple of the plants I picked up Saturday? One was a tall plant you dug up with a mini closed red rose type of flower I think from the N side. The second was a cutting of a smallish leaf multi colored red and green, I think from the S side. The third was, if I didn't know better, a cutting from a plant that was about 2' high that without the flower looked exactly like a blanket flower plant. This one was loaded with seeds. The fourth was a small, about 2-3" high dark green leaved plant with about four small leaves on it.

Thanks for having us over. Looking forward to our next visit.

Art
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
1:48 AM

Post #1614396

Sugar, I am not going to make it for that tissue culture class. Perhaps we will meet at a plant round-up this fall.

I did spend several hours early this morning researching tissue culture. It's a very interesting concept and appears to be something I could do. I want to persue it further.

Although it seems to take lots of time for results, being a cuttings person, it's right up my alley. Much easier to grab a perfect leaf from a perfect plant vs a decent sized cutting. And it sure beats waiting months for seeds, which don't produce anywhere near perfect results.

I found several local colleges with tissue culture classes, and lots of local access to the equipment and chemicals. There are papers galore available over the 'net. Florida seems to be a hot spot for tissue culture. I found a bunch of lab's and businesses and a UF brance in Apopka devoted to it.

I remember a long while ago (about 25 or so years ago) when I was working for a company headquarted in Deland, I would spend an extra day on my monthly visit to the HQ, visiting plant "factories" in Apopka. I once visited a greenhouse there that was over a mile long. They were doing tissue culture way back then with cacti.

I need to evaluate how much space this kind of operation would take up before I make a commitment.

I even have a perfect plant to practice with, provided Val would part with a leaf from her "butterfly plant". Below is a close up I was able to get from a shot not shown in the above group of pictures taken at Val's. Check out this perfect plant for butterfly lovers. The close up is kind of fuzzy, but you can see what I mean right away about this being perfect for butterfly lovers.

Oops, since I preview'd before I attached, I will post the picture in the next post.

This is very interesting stuff.

Art

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
1:50 AM

Post #1614400

A fuzzy close up of a plant at Val's.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1614405

Hi Art,

I am making a list for Nancy's GT on 7/22. I believe that was the date, a Friday.

I am making a list for both you and Val and have put the items you asked for on it. I'll make a list for Nancy too when we figure what to put on it. :^)))

There was one other plant someone wanted and I remembered it for 2 seconds. Any ideas?

Sending you a dmail now for plant ID's.

Molly
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
3:20 AM

Post #1614693

Hi to all, I see I missed a lot today. We moved my computer to another location so I was out of the loop for a while.

Molly and Art, thanks so much for all the wonderful cuttings and plants you both gave me yesterday. The Hosta is in a new pot and I'm so happy to have it :-)

I had a nice time with all of you and I hope we can continue to meet and at the same time get to meet some of the other members that live in this area.

BTW I cut a little piece of the butterfly plant with the hope that it becomes more bushy and sturdy. I saved the piece and I'm rooting it for you. I hope it takes, then I can give some to Art.
Molly, I would love some of the flowering sensitive for my pond. Is there anything else you may like from my garden?

Hap, Friday the 22nd, sounds good to me. Hope you have a nice trip to Chicago!!
What time do you want us there?

If anyone wants any cuttings from my garden just holler Ok.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:17 AM
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
10:37 AM

Post #1615002

Your gardens are beautiful Val. Thank you for letting Art share the photographs.
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
12:09 PM

Post #1615094

Thanks Delecie. One of this day you have to come up to Broward to meet us, or maybe we can meet down there. What do you think?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2005
12:31 PM

Post #1615114

On Friday, 7/22, let's keep the time the same: 1:30..that seems to work for all.

If the rain stops, we can tour the garden flowers, but if it doesn't, we will tour the weeds...LOL

Hap
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
12:44 PM

Post #1615142

Sounds good Hap. See you then and in the meantime enjoy the visit with your daughter.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:18 AM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2005
12:45 PM

Post #1615144

Thanks
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2005
4:37 PM

Post #1615698

Hap,
Count me in. Don't forget to post us directions on how to find you.
Have a good trip and don't forget to say hello to the DD for me.

Val, If not too much trouble, could you bring me a cutting of that pink flower I pointed out to you at Molly's. The one located way in the back behind all the bushes. You said at the time you would have given me one while at your house, but I already had a bunch to handle and don't like to do too many at once.

I am already working on a variation of that pot holder I commented on in your patio. I would have discussed it with my manufacturing friend this weekend, but we couldn't GT for our usual Sunday morning breakfast. I should be able to show him my idea sometime this week. I am thinking about a square extruded aluminum model which would allow pots to be hung on all four sides.

Molly, I am sending up two pictures via Dmail of the remaining plants I need to have id'd. Next GT I need to remember my notebook to prevent sort of thing happening in the future.

Everyone else looking in, if close by, consider joining us at our next mini GT at Nancy's. She is in central Broward so it's not too far for many of you. Don't forget to bring a "want" list so the rest of us know what to bring for you.
I will post a current list of my growing plants, and others you might want cuttings of. Many of the bushes I have can be found with pictures in the plant files.

Art

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2005
5:11 PM

Post #1615767

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/528104/

Com' on to my house, my housa com' on...

Hap
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
11:49 AM

Post #1620504

Good morning Jnana:

I'd like to visit all of you in Broward and you all can visit me also. I've only been gardening a little over three years so I'll have lots of questions about how I can make my garden better. :-)
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
12:51 PM

Post #1620598

Reading back through the posts here I came across the following line in a post from MollyMc on July 10 11:10 am.

"Val, I forgot to dig some of that wild portulacca for you."
I have these plants growing around my yard from time to time. Mine are yellow. Usually I pull and discard them. If this is what you are looking for, I will look through the yard and if I have one, bring one along Friday the 22nd.

Val, my next door neighbor has some of those "red flowered weeds" we saw at Top Tropicals. I will dig 'em up and bring them along.

Molly, no problem with your van. It was just a thought. However the Explorer is still available should something come up and it's needed, or for that matter, my Ranger if we need another truck type vehicle from our area.

It's going to be so good to meet all these people I have followed through various threads and pictures. Really looking forward to it.

Art

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
1:34 PM

Post #1620682

This morning I uncovered (took off the plastic bottle) the terrariums containing the cuttings from Val's. Here are a couple of pictures of what they look like so far. Only the two on the right outside of the Coca Cola holders are not from Val's, but they were potted the same day. I potted these plants in the evening after dinner on July 7th.
I took the tops off to give them some liquid root enhancer and to see how they do being exposed to outside air without the humidity of the bottle cover. Those that are still doing well later on this afternoon will be left uncovered. Those that begin to shrivel will get covered again.
The second shot in the next post is from the back looking forward.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
1:38 PM

Post #1620695

Here's the back group of plants looking toward the front group. The leaves that look as though they were cut, were cut. I do this to keep the leaves from touching the inside of the plastic bottle, which ususally is dripping from the excess moisture inside the terrarium.
Next post is of cuttings from Molly's on Saturday July 9th.

Art

This message was edited Jul 13, 2005 9:40 AM

Thumbnail by artcons

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
1:45 PM

Post #1620721

This and the next post are pictures of some of the cuttings and plants from Molly's. They were taken on July 9th and potted the following morning. These shots are of cuttings not being processed with terrariums. They are doing well so far.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
1:48 PM

Post #1620733

Another shot of cuttings from Molly's. Once again, these are being processed without terrariums.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
2:16 PM

Post #1620791

Thanks Art, I'll make some room for those cuttings. Those cuttings look great, you certainly are a master at this.

I have the Brazilian Plume reserved for you, I'll bring to our next meeting. I'll also bring some Natal Plum for you.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:18 AM
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2005
2:52 PM

Post #1620859

Great job Art, everything looks wonderful!

Alright, I think I need that cutting starter recipe from you. I had cuttings of 18 stevia I was trying to root and it looks like one has succeeded. That's a very bad average.

Next ones I'm doing with the terrariums you gave me.

Molly

artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2005
3:57 PM

Post #1620978

Thanks ladies, however let's not get excited just yet. It's not even a week yet and do-do happens. It takes more than a week to get a true indication of what's happening with the plants.

Art
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 15, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1626501

I noted earlier I had "wild" portulacca in my yard from time to time. I was wrong on this. What I have is "wild" Purslane.
Those two always get me confused.
Art
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2005
3:05 AM

Post #1626944

Art, I haven't heard from Val in last few days, but I think you are right, it is wild purslane. I can't tell the diff.

Molly:^)))
artcons
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2005
3:51 PM

Post #1638834

For out next GT on Friday, July 22, go to http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/528104/
Art

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America