Chicken tractor...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Just a pic; someone here asked for photos of this...

Thumbnail by Zeppy
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh I love that chicken tractor!! Is it your?

Yep. We made it from an unused doghouse; just raised it, attached the run, and we'll put nesting boxes on it later. thanks!

Dexter, NY(Zone 5a)

That is WAY COOL zeppy!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Cool! DH said I need a big chicken coop! The chicken count keep increase!!! NO problem with raccoon or any since I keep them in the pvc chicken tractor. Guess I need to build another chicken tractor!!!! Also I keep our yellow Lab Teddy outside at nights. He's good watch dog! LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

WOW! That is one nice setup. Congratulations.

Victorville, CA

I've just acquired three chickens(Monica, Rachel, and Phoebe) I have no idea what kind they are, only that they are black feathered that looks green in the sunlight and red around the eyes and grey feet. They lay brown eggs. Any ideas?
This chicken tractor looks great! I could move it around my garden.
-Juli

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Juli, your chickens are probably black australorps. Are they very large?

Love that chicken tractor, I'd really like to come up with one. The chickens sure benefit from fresh green food.

Skye

I second the australorp opinion.

There are nicer and easier chicken tractors to build. The easiest is probably the Mother Earth one:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Livestock_and_Farming/2003_Febuary_March/Building_Mother_s_Mini_Coop

and here's a gallery of lots of them... http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/thecitychicken/tractors.html

Victorville, CA

You know that's what I thought after looking at a chart of the different breeds. Gosh thanks for those links those are great websites. I think I like the triangle one after seeing it. I've been just letting them run around the garden but they have decided that they liked my cucmbers and ate the whole bush and they ate my baseball sized acorn squash. So it's chicken tractor time.
-Juli

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here is another, more hoop-house style...
http://www.plamondon.com/hoophouse.pdf

Zeppy, as soon as I saw yours, I thought, didn't I see that at citychicken.com? Nice job!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Zeppy, That's not a chicken tractor. Its a mobile home for chickens!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

OK, Julie, how are those Black Australorps doing? I have some now too!

here are some of their baby chicks that just hatched out last week!

tf
btw, there are LOTS of threads in the Poultry & LIvestock forum with all kinds of chicken pens....

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Zeppy, how heavy is that to move around? Can one person (weakling woman) do it?

Very nice!
Gwen

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is my new chicken tractor... (running and ducking)

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yeah right, you must have some big wheels under those shrubs!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL - I made mine too big, too; it takes a tractor to move it and I have to relevel. The run is assembled from 1x4 frame and panels that screw apart so I can move it in peices. They were suppose to double as moveable greenhouses but not enough time and energy. They have daytime access to a big yard. The house is 8' x 14' and on skids so I can drag it around -- I wanted something secure so the night-time critters didn't get 'em.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

that is great jozee! i need something like that... how many do you house in it?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

I think I have about 40 now but we usually keep about 20. I have the nesting boxes (shown) on one wall and the roost on the other. It would probably hold up to 60 . . . .

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's the roost - I have plastic lined pull-out poop trays underneath that I clean out weekly and add to the compost with scrap hay.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a shot from the yard looking down hill. We haven't lost any to night time predators but the hawks have gotten a few and our german sheppard has gotten a couple that escaped out of the yard (bad dog).

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

that is fabulous! how are you liking your naked neck? i have been wanting some... you really should post these int he Poultry & LIvestock forum... i'll have my DH look at how your roosts are designed, we are about to do some, thanks!

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Very nice! What is the purpose of chain I can see in the photo of the roost?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Tamara: We enjoyed the naked necks - good brown egg layer and big meat bird. We've decided to go with the Cuckoo Marans for the dark brown eggs . . .

Jasmerr: the chain is connected to the feeder. In winter when the days are short, we have a light that comes on when dark and a timer that shuts it off after the hens get 12 hours of daylight. It's suppose to help the egg production in winter.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i see a brahma and an australorp! love those little ramps, do they walk up it or just sit on it?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Is an australorp the same as a black sex link?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

no, an australorp is a breed that origainated in Australia, from British stock. holds the world record for laying the most eggs in one year... a black sex link is a cross beetween two different breeds, oppostie colors, where when they are born the males have white splotches on their heads and the females have small circles.... the sex is "linked" to the color... and they are a hybrid, whereas Black Australorps are a Purebred...

edited to add link:
http://feathersite.com/Poultry///CGA/Lorps/BRKLorps.html

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 11:24 PM

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Are the australorps a rare breed? sounds like a good breed for the farm. Are they hardy?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

mine are great foragers & layers, & get along well with the previuos hens, they just take care of business, don't try to "rule the roost"

the black feathers are a problem here due to the heat, they still lay, just need plenty of shade.

they did fine through the winter. a roo wouild need protection from frostbite as his standard comb is rather large...

here is my son's roo, Eggplant. he needs a new home, doesn't even have spurs yet & whooped on my Best Buckeye...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Lodi, United States

He is beautiful tf, very macho!

BAs are nice and quiet too. Mine have done fine in 103 degree weather so long as they are in the shade (I have them under a shade cloth and under a cherry tree) and have a lot of water. It does cool down here at night though. They are from Australia, so they should be heat tolerant, shouldn't they?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i dunno, maybe they have shade in dugouts there?

londonderry, Australia

definatly austrlorps or little chance of black sex links

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

lucky, since you are from their homeland, can you tell us if they are hardy in cold and hot weathers, and if they range well on farms?

londonderry, Australia

mine do pretty well but it dosent get that cold here lowest is probably -1degrees celsius
hottest 40 degrees celsius so they are pretty good all round hope it helps

oh and i keep them locked up at night time so that probably takes a bit of the chiil away and if it gets to hot i just spray themm with the hose

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yeah, mine like the hose, & standing in puddles... our temp varies from 10 F to 108 F... i guess that is hardy

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

So they do like water to cool off???? I would assume after they are done with the baby feathers.

londonderry, Australia

yep people would think mine were waterfowl if i didnt tell them otherwise lol

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

that is funny, well not, becasue when it was RELALY hot, i had some chicks with broody Buckeye moms, and the were from BA hens and a Jersey Giant roo. and i lost i am thinking THREE due to them jumping into the big waterers. these things were tall, for the geese and ducks and goats, and i was keeping them cool, wearing my self out, in the heat, every day. but the thrid time,w e were watching, and when i heard a peeping, counted chicks with the hens, saw one short, we checked all the waterers. one had jumped into a big wading pool in the goat pen, and was peeping and trying to stay above water! Peter rescued it. a few minutes later, the same chick did it again. we know it was the same becasue none of the others were still wet... so we brought her in to the brooding pen with the others and named her Esther Williams after the movie star/swimmer. but then one nightthe window was left open, the screen blew off, and she was gone. don't know if that feral cat came in to get her, or she took off for the Lake, but Peter will always miss his "Swimmer"...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We lost a number of free range chicks at the old farm when they fell into the 20 gallon tubs we used for water tanks for the horses.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images