-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1608619

I have both the false roselle (maroon leaves , pink flower) and the true roselle Hibiscus sabdariffa var. rubra. Or that's what the seed packet said when I bought it. I just looked up info on the var. rubra here on PDB and it came up as the maroon leaved, pink flowered one. Not the green leaved, purple vein, yellow flower one. So what is wrong, the plant files, or the company I bought the seeds from, which I no longer remember. Which one do I have then, that's the yellow flowering one. Here are pictures of both

Maroon leaves, pink flowers.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2005
6:49 PM

Post #1608641

here's the yellow flowered, green/leave, purple stem and veins

do you know if this is really the var. rubra. or something else. both these are the ones used inmaking teas. but this one is suppose to be rare.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2005
6:57 AM

Post #1612366

True roselle, teatime hibiscus, Florida cranberry is Hibiscus sabdariffa - no rubra with the name ... looks like your 2nd photo. The leaves are can be 3,5 or 7 lobed.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/H/hibi_sab.cfm
http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/perdeck/vin_176.jpg
Pull down to the Hibiscus sabdariffa.
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Hibiscus/galleryF.html#sabdariffa

But, there are 2 types of Hibiscus sabdariffa. One is H. sabdariffa var. sabdariffa ... race 'ruber' (not rubra, maybe your seed packet was marked incorrectly). This may be what caused you to be a bit confused and the photo shown in the PlantFiles is incorrect. It indeed is not a yellow bloom. The link below discusses the different types. The leaves are can be 3,5 or 7 lobed

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html
Hibiscus sabdariffa var. sabdariffa ruber
http://www.nutritionfocus.com/nutrition_supplementation/herbs/hibiscus.html#1

Photos of the 2 plants that are sometimes confused with each other: false roselle (Hibiscus acetosella) and roselle. The photo in the PlantFiles in the true roselle may be false roselle.
http://www.io.com/~wilsone/herbphotos,misc.htm

The false roselle (Hibiscus acetosella) entry in the PlantFiles seems to have photos of 2 different plants. The blooms and leaves in the first photo are smaller than the others.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2112/

After many hours now and no sleep, I am still trying to figure out what Hibiscus sabdariffa var. rubra is. The only links that come up with information lead back to the PlantFiles or Onalee's Home Grown Seeds and Plants Store. Is there a plant with this name? After trying to assist you, now I am perplexed. Maybe someone will come along and help both of us sort this out. Last year I attempted to determine which are the "true" photos of roselle and false roselle and finally gave up. I am glad that you brought this up because the photos in the PlantFiles are confusing.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2005 4:34 AM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2005
12:46 PM

Post #1612581

Well, Darn, I no longer have the package that my seeds came with, I could have spelled it wrong, But I even called them and they told me it was the one with the yellow flower on it. My green leaved hibiscus, does have the 3 lobes on it. some have a few more the older the plant gets. I wish I could remember the name of that web site I got the seeds from . But I can't .

So your saying my green leaved hibiscus doesn't have the yellow flower? Well, I guess I'll see soon enough, I'm sure they'll bloom before summer, my marooned leaved hibiscus has blooms on it now.

thanks for all your hard work, and dedication, seems like this has been raised before, I didn't know about it. But would definitely like to know now,

kathy
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2005
3:25 AM

Post #1614707

kathy, you are quite welcome. I think your green-leaved one will have the yellow bloom. It is probably Hibiscus sabdariffa var. sabdariffa. I don't know if these questions have been raised before on DG. But, I do know that I was trying to ID one of these plants before and became very confused before I decided to give up.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2005 10:26 PM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2005
11:31 AM

Post #1615033

Well, This Hibiscus sabdariffa var. sabdariffa does sound familiar, I think your right, I'll post pics of the flowers when they bloom. I'm really looking forward to these blooms.

kathy
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2005
2:27 PM

Post #1615358

I will be awaiting the photo of the flowers.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3796565

Did these Hibiscus ever bloom?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 25, 2007
2:27 PM

Post #4121935

Hi Kathy,

Are u still interested in Roselle (hibiscus Sabdariffa)? I am from Malaysia, Roselle is quite common in our country, I have some seeds and willing to share with u if u want. My Roselle is the type that u mention, that can make tea, juice, jam etc, which also good for health.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #4123924

Chia ~ does this look like the one you have?

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4123937

These are the seed pods ~

Thumbnail by podster

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #4124110

podster is that pink or yellow? the seeds I finally got had the yellow flower.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #4124165

and i have a maroonish leaved plant with a yellow flower. i had no idea there were so many. podster, will you have any seeds of the one you have which looks pink?
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #4124196

maybe my leaves are green with maroon stalks and bloom pods. i love it whatever color it is.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4124250

Kathy Ann ~ I didn't mean to step on your thread but when Chia posted ~ I thought AHA here is someone that may know what this is for sure...

The research I have done indicated it is H. sabdariffa ~ Roselle. This was from [HYPERLINK@www.hort.purdue.edu]
Quoting: Flowers, borne singly in the leaf axils, are up to 5 in (12.5 cm) wide, yellow or buff with a rose or maroon eye, and turn pink as they wither at the end of the day. At this time, the typically red calyx, consisting of 5 large sepals with a collar (epicalyx) of 8 to 12 slim, pointed bracts (or bracteoles) around the base, begins to enlarge, becomes fleshy, crisp but juicy, 1 1/4 to 2 1/4 in (3.2-5.7 cm) long and fully encloses the velvety capsule, 1/2 to 3/4 in (1.25-2 cm) long, which is green when immature, 5-valved, with each valve containing 3 to 4 kidney-shaped, light-brown seeds, 1/8 to 3/16 in (3-5 mm) long and minutely downy. The capsule turns brown and splits open when mature and dry. The calyx, stems and leaves are acid and closely resemble the cranberry (Vaccinium spp.) in flavor.

The blooms open yellow and turn pink from the edges. The center has a red eye and the calyces ARE tasty! Problem is, I have been trying not to eat them! They remind of crabapples or cranberries or... delicious and I want to try jellies and teas and...
I do hope to have seed and am intending to try overwintering this plant indoors.

The leaves on this plant are green with reddish veins ~ Mamajack. All parts of this plant are edible including the leaves, blooms and seed pods... Perhaps Chia can give a positive ID.

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4124339

Podster u are right, the plants is roselle.
Roselle (hibiscus sabdariffa) is green leaf, with red-purple wood (branches), after flower will have red color fruit. However,the color of flower is either yellow or pink.The fruit can cook and made juice etc.

Another type of Roselle said to be the family member is red leaf, and is not eatable, only for garden planting.

I have some seeds left, those interested, I don't mind to share with u all.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #4124351

Thank you Chia ~ I appreciate your confirming the ID. It is a delightful plant. Your seeds are which, this same one?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #4124357

This are the photos taken during a school project in Taiwan, in which also popular in making healthy food.

photo 1 show the fruit is ready to harvest.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #4124361

Photo 2 show the youth helps to clean the fruit and cut the fruit, take away the seeds inside.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #4124367

photo 3 show the fruit is ready for cooking. It has been cut into pieces and take away all the seeds.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #4124384

photo 4 show boiling of Roselle with water. After cooking, will let it cool down, some may add in sugar, put in botter and store in fridge, when u want to drink, mixed with water, just like concentrated orange juice.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #4124395

Hi Podster,
My seeds are also Roselle, pink flower, green leaf, the fruit can cook for juice etc.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #4124399

Podster, you didn't step on any thread, No worries here. Look at those photos! Cool.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4124417

I am fascinated by the processing photos. I need to think how to ask Chia what I want to know here.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
3:36 AM

Post #4124489

chia, let me get this straight...the flowers bloom. then the calyx will form seeds. and while this is still fresh you pick it and take the seeds out and then you can eat them raw or cook them, is that right? are the seeds green at this point and therefore not viable?

and you have a green leaf roselle that has pink flowers? and one with yellow flowers? and then you are saying that the one with maroon leaves and pink flowers is hibiscus acetocella and that is strictly ornamental...it is the one they call false roselle, right?

also, i understand this plant is an annual so it wouldn't do any good bringing it inside, right? or is this plant perennial where you are chia?

also, i would love to get seeds of the pink flowering roselle. what kinds of things would you like in trade?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #4124577

LOL Mamajack ~ you beat me to it... I do know it is an annual. I also know it can be overwintered by cuttings so I assume the plant can also be overwintered in a tropical climate. I also know that if I had harvested the calyces rather than allow them to bear seed, the plant would have continued to rebloom. I have kept this plant in a pot so I can experiment with overwintering as well as collect the seed. I was amazed at how quickly the blooms formed seed. Unfortunately, the plant is too top heavy from the weight of the fruits.

Now, Chia ~ what I need to know please...

If I pick the seeds when green and remove the calyces ~ will they continue to ripen?
The edible portion is the red protective part that covers the seed?
Also the center of the bud? It that correct?

I have eaten pod, seed and all but I am assuming they save the seeds to reproduce?
How do I know when the seeds have ripened to the point of harvesting for seed?
When the seed is ready to harvest, is the balance of the calyx still edible?

I appreciate your patience and knowledge and am sure I will think of more questions. TIA ~ pod

mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4124635

well between us we are bound to get this straight. lol.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
11:00 AM

Post #4124846

Hope we didn't scare Chia off ... 8 (
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
11:59 AM

Post #4124952

Hi Mamajack,

You are right, Hibiscis Sabdariffa and Hibiscus Acetocella look similar, the different is that Sabdariffa is green leaf, and the flower is bigger. There is another variety of Sabdariffa, the fruit (calyces) is white color instead of red color. But I do not have this kind of plants. When the calyx is 70% ripe, that is the best time to harvest, if u waite until it fully ripe, the calyx will turn dark color and break, harder and seeds is dark color. While it is still fresh, the seeds is white and green color. Calyces can be eaten raw or cook.

People in Eastern like the taste of sweet-sour, therefore, we seldom eat raw calyx. So it depends how u want to eat, the whole plant can be cook as vegetable or boil as soup. The roots, leaf, stem, seeds can made medicine. Calyx can made wine too.

Beside make concentrated juice (which is the best), the other product is that, calyces (dry) is mixed with salt and sugar, and kept in fridge for few days before u eat it. Some people put calyces in bottle, one layer is calyces , second layer is sugar, third is calyces again...and put in fridge for few days.

If u want to made tea, just take a few calyces (can either be fresh one or dry under the sun), put in a cup and pull in hot water, waite for a while (the longer the better), after the water turn dark (red), then take away the calyx (it will become soft), and is ready to drink.

This plants is annual.

Please send me your address, I will pack the seeds for u. I will check your trade list if I find anything interesting for me.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 26, 2007
12:14 PM

Post #4124982

HI Podster,

If u pick the seeds when white-green they will change color later (or u said is ripen), this kind of seeds may not have good germinate rate. Ya, the edible portion is the red protective part that covers the seed, most people choose that part (calyx). Just as u said, other part like centre etc is also eatable. We choose calyx s because it produce good taste, a bid of sour and sweet.

If u prepare seeds for planting, let it fully ripen, the color of the calyx will became darker and darker, or even it will break itself. The seeds at that time is ripen, dark geen or dark color. The balance still edible but it is harder. In fact one plant can have hundreds of fruit, u need to reserve a few calyxes for seeds that will be enough, while the rest is harvest for cooking.

Friendly speaking, I am not an expert in Roselle, but I love to plant tropical hybrid hibiscus.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #4125244

well chia...on that sabdariffa with the white calyxes...where do we find it? lol.

and how many different types of hibiscus do you grow? do you grow them outside? if i can find some, would you like trop. hib. seed in exchange for these? i don't have any but i can try and trade for some. did you get your dl seeds?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 27, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4127353

Hi Mamajack,

I have see the photo of white calyx on Taiwan web site and according to the introduction, it was openly sold in Taipei flower market. Attach is a photo taken from web site.

I like tropical hibiscus, if anyone have it, I would love to trade, or buy from them. At present, I planted in my front compound and some in pot.

Thumbnail by chia

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4127426

Chia I appreciate your sharing your knowlegde on H. sabdariffa with us. Although you say you are not an expert on Roselle, you know far more than I do and I value your assistance.

I only grow one tropical Hibiscus and have had it for years. No seeds that I have ever seen.

I do have seeds from hardy Hibiscus in yellow or pink. I believe I also have some from this years blooms of H. Coccineus http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/si/107519/ and will gladly share with you...
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #4127490

i am looking for some trop. hibiscus seeds as well for you. and will keep you in mind whenever i see any for trade.

and are you saying that you bought the white one from the taipei market or that you saw it there? was it expensive? i could help with the expense so that you could grow us all some seeds. i do so love a new and different plant. lol. and by the way,,,what color did you say the white one blooms?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 27, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #4128165

Hi Podster,
Thanks, I prefer tropical hibiscus, not H coccineus. U need to pollinate the flower by hand, as it is difficut through insect, as such u may not able to get seeds, and some variety is not producing seeds pod.

Well Mamajack, I have not been to Taipei yet, I just notice it through web site. But if I happen to be there or can find any seeds from my friends, I will try to get it for u.

I appreciate if anyone can give me tropical hybrid hibiscus seeds or even sell to me.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
10:41 AM

Post #4128206

Chia ~ have had this "common" tropical many years... Surely by now a bug would have gotten lucky but no seeds. This may be one on those only reproduced by cuttings... If ever I get seed, you will be at the top of the list. I also have a variegated which has not bloomed for me ~ yet. But will remember you...

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 7:52 PM

Thumbnail by podster

mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4128520

chia, which trop. hib. do you grow already? do you have any?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 27, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #4129135

Thanks Podster, u are so kind.

Ya Mamajack, I have some variety last time given by AHS in US and Australia, but not all of them germinate and some die half way. Like this one:

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 27, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #4129139

Another one here,

By the way, tropical hibiscus is our national flower.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 1:16 PM

Thumbnail by chia

mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #4129664

did you write the guy in fla. for some seeds? or did you buy any from ebay?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 28, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4131494

I bought some seeds through e-bay before, and some seeds never germinate, this year, it seem that some guy is trying to cheat. I experience after sending money, the seeds never arrive and the seller no reply and change ID. Because of that I prefer joing gardening group or forum, and exchange seeds from them, they are the genuine people.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #4131531

Chia ~ is there any problem with swapping seeds in your country? Like having them sent via mail? I am sure plants would be impossible. pod
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #4132162

You have to be careful of the hibiscus seed sellers on eBay, there's at least one who has pictures of all these flowers that are obviously hybrids but claims s/he's selling seeds of that plant when there's no way they'll come true from seed. And many of their flower pics are obviously Photoshopped too. I'm not sure how many there are like that. It's tricky to spot that they're a scam unless you recognize that the pics are Photoshopped and unless you know that the fancy hybrids won't come true from seed--I think by the time people buy the seeds, grow them, and then figure out it's not the plant they thought they were buying, it's too late to put negative feedback on eBay.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4133870

Hi Podster, so far no problem with sending seeds through mail. I have swapped seeds with oversea on and on, but not cutting and plants, as it need permit.

Ya, Ecrane3, you are right, I think u refer to the same guy, S/He's normally use Singapore and Australia address. In fact I made complain, but seem no body can stop S/he cheating.

I know there are some seeds company in US and England, which are very well established, but I wonder why they do not sell hybrid hibiscus seeds?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4133906

Probably because the hybrids don't come true from seed so you never know what you're going to get. Most seed companies sell things where they know what the babies are going to look like, so they can put nice pictures in their catalogs that show people exactly what the plants they grow are going to look like. The American Hibiscus Society I know does have seeds available, but I'm not sure if they would send them to Malaysia or not. I know someone posted in another thread around here how to get seeds from them, I don't remember which thread it was in though.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4134057

Are they any individual here or other organisation selling seeds or just charge for postage?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #4134082

I'm not sure if the hibiscus society charges more than just what the postage would cost or not (I've never gotten any from them). Anyone around here who has seeds would just send them for postage, either that or as a trade if you had some nice seeds that they wanted.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #4134101

ecrane, how do i get in touch with the ahs? i would love to get some seeds sent to me and then I can send them to chia.

we had our plant swap in arlington, tx. today. i took a branch of sabdariffa with me. there were a whole bunch of sabdariffa eaters before it was all said and done. it was a big hit. even 'ol dave was eatin' roselle. hahahaha just curious though...does it give you gas?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #4134117

Check around the recent threads on here--I think someone posted a couple days ago about it but I don't remember what thread it was on. I've never gotten anything from them so I don't know.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
6:08 AM

Post #4134544

Mamajack I just posted the letter to u with around 30 seeds of Roselle, I think I better send u another pack, so that u have enough seeds to give to your TX friends.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #4134844

Just to share some information on how to make dry fruits on Roselle calyx.

1. collect some calyx, cut the bottom part.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #4134847

2. use a chopsticks to get rid of the seeds inside.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #4134852

3. wash and clean, and soak in warm water (50 degree) for a while, so that insect will be killed.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
12:26 PM

Post #4134855

4. put calyx in jar, add in some sugar. The amount of sugar will depend on indiviual, how u like the taste. Then cover up and put in fridge for one week.

Thumbnail by chia

chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

October 29, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #4134856

5. After one week, now is the time to eat.

Thumbnail by chia

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #4134891

Is is like eating a bowl of fruit? I love the detailed info and photos ~ thank you Chia.

I now know what else to use my chopsticks for. Use them to twist my hair up off my neck too...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #4153486

Selamat pagi Chia...great info there on Malaysia's national flower. I was hesitating to purchase hibiscus seeds from one eBay seller. He is from South East Asia I think. This clears my doubts.
Kathy, isn't it wonderful that DG is global?
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

November 4, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #4155899

Hi Heavenscape,

Good morning to u too...although hibiscus is our national flower, but no body sell tropical seeds here, and it seem that not many people know how to pollinate hibiscus seeds, many think that hibiscus will not produce seeds pod. The same case for South East Asia. So if anybody from S.E.A has any seeds for sale, u better be careful.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #4156628

Thanks Chia. I sent you a dmail.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #4160275

Yum, that's quite interesting, sounds good.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #4161229

chia, i got you some trop hib. seeds. ya---hoo! they will be sent out tomorrow. just for fun... one of the seed crosses are from key west and chocolate berry truffles.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #4161270

Mamajack, you are so kind. I bet Chia will appreciate you.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

November 5, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4161479

YA!...Mamajack u are so great! Many many thanks to u!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
4:03 AM

Post #4162577

I Googled both of those but couldn't find either. does anyone have ideas where to find them?
ultimateshopper
Tulsa, OK

November 6, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #4164323

Hi There,
The person to contact with your request for tropical seeds is:
The Seed Bank
Bob Carran
13190 113 Ave. N.
Largo, FL 33774

727-596-6922

He's with the American Hibiscus Society and for postage he will send you some seeds - shows that they've shipped to 75 different countries so I'm sure you'll be able to get some. They don't take paypal but I'm sure if you get a money order (drawn on a US bank) he may send...
ultimateshopper
Tulsa, OK

November 6, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4164332

Chia - the dishonest creep that you are talking about on e-bay goes by the name of IMPERIALBOTANICGARDEN. I purchased some seeds from him and he didn't send the complete shipment - when I complained he was unresponsive and became verbally abusive. I posted a -ve feedback and had E-bay get onto him. In the end he was frantic as he had another -ve posted just after mine said I was causing him business harm. Well he sent the seeds and refunded me the money. I'd suggest to anyone to stay WAYYY far away from him - he's the only one that comes up when you search on exotic hibiscus seeds. I suspect the seeds will never germinate so I've not tried by the one I bought is included (would be beautiful if it did though). He alters the true picture of the flower to deceive

Thumbnail by ultimateshopper

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #4164466

Ultimateshopper, that's the one I almost bought from eBay.
ultimateshopper
Tulsa, OK

November 6, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4164539

Heaven count your blessings - he's awful - looks like he's got a ton of -ve feedback since then too - but he's also selling alot many of which seem to be people buying several seeds at a time. He's got pictures of hybrids too which - I now know won't produce seeds of that flower but it's parents instead. You guys are such a bunch of nice people I wanted to warn you so you don't get scammed... I think it turned out pretty well for me seeing that I did'nt lose any money but many are not so fortunate!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #4164559

Well Utlimateshopper, I called my brother who lives in Singapore to check on all the nurseries there whether they have hybrid hibiscus seeds for sale. Guess you know their answers. Yes, I'd love to have those exotic looking trops in my yard. For now I'll rely on AHS recommended specialists, no matter the costs.
Glad you got your money back.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4165270

and i used that address above to mr. carran. i got my seeds yesterday. chia they are yours. mailed 'em today. lol.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

November 7, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4165533

Hi Ultimateshopper, u are right, but I was so unfortunate that neither refund or seeds is send to me. I complain, but nothing has been done. I kept on telling my friend that never buy seeds from that fellow. I think e-bay should try to stop him for cheating people, or else people will lose confident.

Also thanks to Mamajack, who is so kind to me.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #4166375

That was fast Mamajack! I'm still waiting on their email reply. I requested of possibity of seeds sent to 2 int'l addresses and 2 stateside...Hmm.
Maybe I should just do a snail mail.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #4166534

i thought it was fast too. i sent him 3.00 and he mailed me 3 packs of seeds (though not a lot of seeds in the packs) and 2.00 back. on the seed packs the cross names are printed. i couldn't find any of them though. is there a place to go look at hib. picture like tinker's for daylilies?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4169371

Hmm..perhaps try "googling" the names.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #4171202

i did without success. key west was one. and some kind of chocolate something truffle.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #4171214

Chocolate Berry Truffle? Check Matt's website http://www.hibiscusplace.com I'm pretty sure he's got it on there.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #4171248

thanks ecrane but i couldn't find it there either.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #4172416

Here's the page on his site with Chocolate Berry Truffle (of course I'm not sure that's the one you were looking for, there might be another one with a similar name)
http://www.hibiscusplace.com/html/c__2.html
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #4175235

i am pretty sure that was the name. wow, those flowers are unbelievable.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2007
7:49 PM

Post #4176128

I added that site to my favs. Chocolate berry's unique! Thanks ecrane.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

November 10, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4176887

The flower is beautiful.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4177036

OH gosh,! what a web page! Loved those beauties.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #4181716

what about key west, ecrane? that's the cross of the seeds i sent chia...with chocolate berry.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #4181859

I don't know that one sorry--I did check Matt's site for it when I was looking for the Choco Berry Truffle, but he doesn't have it and I don't remember running across it at Hidden Valley Hib. either which is the other place I shop a lot.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4242535

To Chia
is the seeds from you: Hibiscus sabdariffa, Roselle,
the true Roselle which I can made to of, I really hope it would have been nice, I have grow acetosella earlier but never true Roselle
~Sylvia
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #4242538

I mean tea of course not 'to' my spell is a little untidy excuse me.
~Sylvia
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

November 29, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #4242879

Hi Sylvia,

Ya the seeds send to u is true Roselle, hibiscus sabdariffa, u can made tea from the calyx.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #4243810

Hi Chia
thats great, lookig forward to my first cup of tea.
~Sylvia
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4245009

My friend raises those roselles with the green leaves and purplish stems. She gave me a plant this year, saying they always bloom in October. So I kept it in good shape in a pot and waited. Guess what? Nothing happened, still hasn't bloomed. Oh well. It looked like it had flower buds for quite a while, but maybe I was wrong and it wasn't buds. Maybe the strange weather this year affected it!
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

November 30, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #4245071

I am not about the weather condition in US, usually for us in tropical region, it is easy to bloom when the plants has enough sunlight and water.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #4250912

I'm in south-central Texas, pretty sunny here normally. The only time sunshine may not have been enough was in the summer, when we had record-producing amounts of rain. I watered it often other times when rainfall wasn't that often. I brought it inside twice frecently when a freeze was possible (lowest we had was 32.7F on one of those nights). It still has those "buds"...they really do look kind of like flowerbuds, but they have been there for weeks already. So I'm still waiting. Who knows? Maybe I'll have Roselle blooms yet...in December!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #4252223

and i will add that mine has been blooming for quite some time (started just this year from seeds) but i am afraid it is never going to set seeds before it freezes. in a normal year we would already have had a freeze, even if it is just a quick dip. chia, i may have to depend on your every year to send seeds as i really liked seeing this plant.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
3:06 AM

Post #4252412

I harvested seed this week. Most appeared to be fully formed. They are drying now.

The aphids loved these seed pods. At first I resisted treating for them as I intended to use the calyces. Finally gave up and doctored them.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #4252525

podster, is this your first year to grow this plant? i am wondering if your plant had a typical year. maybe i got my seeds started too late and didn't get them in the ground soon enough and so i caused the delay in the seed making. but it seems that all of the calyxes are still nice and moist and suitable for eating. i haven't seen any aphids either.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #4252582

Yes, my first year with this plant. I kept it potted so it didn't get large. It took a long time before I harvested the calyces. They could have been used in teas, etc. had I not treated for aphids.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4252612

mine are about 5 ft. tall and the purple stems and calyxes are just beautiful to look at. i love the way they shine. but the hib. cannabinus were the ones that amazed me. they are huge...maybe 15 ft. tall with trunks that are as big as a small tree.
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

December 2, 2007
8:46 AM

Post #4252914

Mamajack, don't worry about the seeds, I can send u seeds again when u need it.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #4276712

Can somebody tell me how to do tea of the fruits on Roselle calyx?
Is it only to dry the calyx. And how to cook tea?
~Sylvia
chia
Kuching, Sarawak,
Malaysia

December 9, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #4276852

U can dry it first or use fresh calyx to made tea. To made tea, clean calyx with hot water first, this is to get rid of green smell. Then put in the cup with hot water, wait for few minutes until the water turn dark color, then take away calyx. The tea is ready. U can add in sugar if u like.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #4277155

Thank you Chia,
and thanks for picture of how to make juice too, I have save it in an document, and hope roselle will grow in Sweden next summer I shall have it inside my porsch there it is warmer and hope to get flower first year,
~Sylvia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM
I bought sight unseen Kell 28 Sep 17, 2007 11:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America