Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hoyas: A fertilization question

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 4, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hbabcock
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2005
4:01 PM

Post #1610586

Hi all, can someone give me an example of their fertilization schedule? What strength, 20-20-20, 10-60-10, can you mix up two different ones? And if you have messenger, where does it fall into play. How often should you fertilize. Is spray and grow a fertilizer, is Eleanor's. So much product, makes my head whirl. I need a schedule I can duplicate, so I don't over do it. Thanks in advance.
-Heather
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 9, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1610708

Hey Heather...

I think the SMART ones (I know I am not in that group) fert. 1/2 strength everytime they water. I use a slow release Osmocote 14-14-14 on the soil itself because of number of plants. Also, my plants don't go dormant so I have to keep this up all year.

Now, with Messenger, they recommend spraying every 10-14 days, and I DO mix ferts in with the spraying. Alaska Fish Fert (5-1-1) on the small plants I want to GROW and a 10-60-10 on the larger plants for a boost!

I wouldn't mix the two up that you mention as it would make it VERY potent. I sometimes put a tiny amount of 5-1-1 in with another one if I want to UP the nitrogen. Indoor spraying isn't a good idea with Fish Fertilizer unless you crave the smell of rotten fish...in the soil it soon goes away.

Before you combine anything (like ferts) it is best to mix up a tiny batch and see that they emulsify...

HTH

Reminds me...gotta fertilize/messenger today or tomorrow.

I would like to know from the experts how they use Eleanor's ...

Carol
greenemann
Pompano Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2005
5:43 PM

Post #1610853

We hae been usinga a soluble 2-1-2 N-P2-O5-K2O ratio with trace elements at 250 ppm nitrogen once a week. Interim irrigation is without nutrients, but often includes Physan or RD 20.
Very little change is made seasonally, but the nursery here in Florida is heated and our place in SE Asia doesn't experience any cold weather so growth is pretty steady 12 months a year.
hbabcock
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2005
6:08 PM

Post #1610934

Just to clarify, spray on the messenger, then mix with the h20, i am pouring in the soil fertilizer. When would you spray on a fertilizer? Don't you usually, just mix it in the water to pour in the plants?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 9, 2005
10:04 PM

Post #1611447

Messenger is a foliar spray...the finest mist you can achieve. You CAN mix it with other ferts.

I don't have drip irrigation...and when the plants are too many to water by hand, I foliar feed...before the light gets intense on them, not in the heat of the day.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America