Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Decorating: Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference!

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 45, Views: 796
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:18 PM

Post #1619487

You might wanna wear sunglasses for this first views. LOL

This room belongs to two of my little ones. Where did that color come from you might ask? It was the background color on a Care Bear comforter set. :)

You like the closets? I built those when I stole the one they used to have at the other end of the room. Hey, I wanted TWO in my room, which is behind it.

I had to patch a couple of gaps/cracks in the hardwood. Molding out of the way and floor clean and ready to go.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:21 PM

Post #1619492

You can see the floor has some discoloration and looks unhappy even though it is sound.

You can also see we put up new doors and have not replaced the woodwork. LOL It's on the list...it's a long list!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:24 PM

Post #1619498

Here is the back corner of the room. The closet used to be there on the left. We boxed it in and finished it when we stole the closet.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1619507

I decided to go with porch and floor paint instead of refinishing it. I spoke to a friend/client (that owns a flooring store) of mine and she told me people don't put hardwood in bedrooms anymore. So if I don't like this later or sell it, it can be covered with carpet.

The color is actually like creme with a touch of coffee. I liked it because it is off white but not a shade that looks old or dirty.

Yeah, did the floor before the walls. Stupid, yes, but we had to buy bedding before we picked a wall color.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:32 PM

Post #1619510

The other side of the room.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:42 PM

Post #1619525

I won't bore you with the coat of Killz paint up next. LOL

The wall color is almost the same as the floor color, with maybe a tinge of pink to it, but not that you would notice. I guess that is just how the paint machine translated. The difference is very subtle.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:42 PM

Post #1619526

The other side.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:46 PM

Post #1619534

After looking up all sorts of stuff on the net, I finally decided on something nice to put on the floor. I didn't want it to necessarily look like a rug, but didn't want anything crazy or too colorful in case we move soon. The new bedding has MORE than enough color. LOL

I taped off my stripes in one direction and rolled on the design.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1619539

Close up of design.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:49 PM

Post #1619541

Taped of and painted the design in the other direction and the border.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1619542

The back of the room again.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
11:56 PM

Post #1619558

That brings us back to where we started!

I need to do a bit of touch up or neatening at certain overlaps just to even it out some. Then I'll be ready to urethane and put the molding up.

After I paint the bed, I can put on the new bed clothes and hang the curtains that I still have to make. LOL The new bedding is tan and hot pink on one side with those colors and more in stripes on the back. The window coverings will match the striped side.

Thumbnail by Badseed

mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2005
12:09 AM

Post #1619583

Wow Chele I am in AHHH! I can't believe the difference since I saw it last week. You have done an awesome job.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2005
12:19 AM

Post #1619608

In one week? What an incredible and creative job!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2005
1:26 AM

Post #1619730

Chele,

The room looks fantastic! Great job on that floor. When you get the bedding and curtains up, more pictures please?

thanks for sharing.

Molly
:^)))

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2005
1:39 AM

Post #1619746

Great job, 'Chele!! Really like the floor. : )
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1619749

Michelle, that is terrific. I so envy your energy and the results are very good.
sidney
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2005
4:20 AM

Post #1620168

Great job.. I just finished with my girl's room.. Before the wall was granny smith apple green color.. now it's pink.. This house is only one year old! lol She's gonna be 13 yrs old in few weeks.. It's the gift I give her to fix up her room.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2005
5:15 AM

Post #1620241

Um--do you hire out? I Love what you have done-gave me such a sense of serenity.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1622385

Thanks so much! I actually had fun doing it but I took today off! LOL I should be getting it done while Dennis spits on us so I can get back out when the sun does.

Um, how did I miss that we have a Home Dec forum and a Crafts and Dec forum??
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1627859

I love what you've done, Badseed... You must be a bundle of energy to get all that done and care for five children too. I can't wait to see everything finished.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2005
10:47 PM

Post #1628388

Thanks gin! I have less energy than people think, but more desire to get it done. LOL
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2005
9:49 AM

Post #1633613

BS > look good and nice color for your girls bedroom that good idea use tape to paint the floor never taught about that.
Mini,,, would like to see the picture of your daughter room it sound pretty color show a picture? Boy she become teenager soon already 13!
If she become "Sweet 16" will change color ? LOL

This message was edited Jul 19, 2005 4:51 AM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2005
1:43 PM

Post #1633801

Thank you very much for the compliments! We are trying to redo the rooms to look nice but also not doing anything wild since we are preparing to sell the house. We decided to buy wild, bright and vivid bedding and curtains and leave the room very neutral. :)

I have not gotten in their to finishe up and I still have to spray paint the bunkbeds. We took out a big honkin' wood set with 5 inch posts and are putting in a smaller metal set. I still have to paint it. LOL

This room is for the soon to be 4 and 6 year olds. The basement will probably be next and then the center bedroom. Most of the other rooms only need minor changes. Then I can retile the kitchen. Hopefully we won't be here much longer than that!

I will be back with pics soon.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2005
8:31 PM

Post #1634682

Are you moving that greenhouse with you?
sidney
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2005
11:11 PM

Post #1635016

LOL I have been saying it could stay for the right bid. If we end up buying before we sell, I can take it with me. :)
nut4spuds
Wichita, KS

July 21, 2005
9:38 AM

Post #1638213

That is sooo neat.
What kind of sealer did you put on it?

~Nikki
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2005
2:18 PM

Post #1638618

Embarrassed to admit...I have been playing outside! LOL My kids' bed is still in the dining room and their chest is in my room. Technically, I do not think that qualifies as abuse. :O)

I have a gallon of non-yellowing Urethane to use over it. I am hoping a good coat or two will keep them from scraping off the paint.

I do need to get in there and get it done. Their metal bunkbed is out in the driveway awaiting a sanding and coat of cream colored paint. We bought wild bedding so everything else will be a bit more calm.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
7:44 PM

Post #1653885

I just saw this thread. That's GREAT!

Chele, you've seen the poor shape our hardwood floors are in...This would be so nice, but what a project! My biggest concern would be keeping all the dog and cat hair off of it. I'd have to clean the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of the whole house or it would blow into the room I was painting, LOL!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2005
8:24 PM

Post #1653990

Thanks Kimberley! I kept a fan in the window and aimed it at the door for resistance. LOL I also spread a damp towel at the door on the other side so if anything blew that way, it would get caught on the towel.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2005
12:26 AM

Post #1662916

Too kewl, would never have thought about painting a design on the floor.
Great Job!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1663200

Thanks Kyle. It was actually sort of fun. :) I am getting eager to conquer the next bedroom but figure I better finish the curtains and such first. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2005
3:06 AM

Post #1878118

Oh, badseed, remember on the 7th day you're supposed to rest - you do know how to do that, right? I'm glad there are little ones going in that room - I have an 11-year-old and a 15-year-old girl. I think I remember passing though that color. They used to share a (tiny) room - they could never agree on a decor! You need to paint anything for tweens or teens VERY neutral (like white, lol) so you can put up posters or whatever to change the color when (not if) they change their minds.

xxx, Carrie
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1878149

LOL Thanks Carrie! Sorry to say that bedroom has been left behind at the house we will be selling. I do visualize comparable things replacing the lovely berber here before too long. :)
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2005
1:45 PM

Post #1878523

I really liked that. At first I was in shock over your painting the hardwood floors. Who says no one puts hardwood in bedrooms anymore? They were w-r-o-n-g. I know lots of people, including ME.
Loved the stripes using the stencil! Very nice.

Gwendalou
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2005
2:13 PM

Post #1878585

LOL Gwendalou. And thank you!

One of my hair clients owns a flooring store. I spoke to her about flooring and redoing the hardwood as opposed to carpeting. The floors were put in around 1968 and never maintained after that. There were stains on the wood both old and new and she said they would not come off and could not be removed. She suggested I just put in carpet. I figured anyone could do that and we are getting ready to sell it. That is why I decided to paint the floor. I really do think it looks nice.

At our new house, we have plywood subfloors I imagine. The people that sold it to us put in some cheap, boring berber. It will have to go. I am not doing anything here until I sell the other house. I may end up painting floors here as they are so easy to clean!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2006
12:46 AM

Post #1948315

I gotta hand it to you - if your name isn't Debbie Travis, it takes guts to paint a floor.
Very impressive indeed. You did a great job.
Dovey
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2006
12:49 AM

Post #1948321

Thank you Dovey! I was a bit scared to do it but I am so glad I did!
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2006
9:00 PM

Post #1949509

That is awesome Seed, is that from a paint roller that has the design on it right? Did you have enough paint on the wheel to last you through the entire line from start to finish?

Susan

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #1949530

I did use a paint roller with a raised design on it. On the longest stripes, I did have to add paint to the roller, but on the shorter ones, I could use less pressure at the beginning and a bit more toward the end and have the color look even.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #1950598

Did it need to cure for long before you could bring the furniture back to the room?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #1950800

I let it dry and set for several days then put a couple of coats of non-yellowing eurathane on it. It was a nice hard finish that I could use my steam cleaner or swiffer on.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6040874

GORGEOUS IDEA!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6040962

Hey Tir!

We actually ended up putting carpet over it when we listed it for sale. I have a pic somewhere...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6040982

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! Wouldn't it have sold well just as is? Imagine someones surprise in years to come to rip it up and ahhh over the effort put into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6041056

LOL We went with the safe creams and beiges, then used fabric with gem colored stripes to make window valances and cover the cushion on the window seat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Baby Nursery...seeking pictures... Tir_Na_Nog 67 Apr 29, 2007 9:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America