Garden gnomes in their natural habitat.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

The gnome door thread has inspired me to start another thread for the gnomes themselves. I'll start it off with a photo of two fine fellows discussing the weather last year. This mushroom sprouted and they take cover underneath.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So adorable!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Such tiny little guys. I haven't seen many that size here in Canada. Very cute, Pixy!

Titusville, FL

Where did you find the mini-gnomes? I love them and love fairies too, just hard to find little ones.........thanks for starting the thread, I did enjoy the other thread about gnome doors too.........
Brenda

Old Flower Girl: Tom, the gnome door maker, wrote and said he found lots of them in a dollar store but didn't say exactly the size. He wanted to photograph them in the store but was reluctant to. If you write to him he might be able to tell you just where it was that he saw them.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Pixy, cute little guys.My family hasn't been able to find any good mushrooms growing around their home grounds yet, but they seem to be happy hanging out in the garden. Hagar says no photos without first paying the fee.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The Oslo group are of a larger stature due to the more Southerly climate and Urban environment.Or maybe its the lutefisk and pickled herring?

Thumbnail by balvenie

Love both of your collections balvenie! The first group with Hagar and me laughing! He looked like a school crossing guard to me.

The Oslo (or Lake Woebegone) group are so different and so beautiful. I like Sven and Ole and their friend, Golly Gee, but where is Lena?

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Pirl, Lena is still searching for the appropriate clothing colors and accessories. (isn't that just like a woman?)

Thumbnail by balvenie

LOL balvenie!!! Why on earth would Lena have that Mona Lisa smile in that outfit? She's really quite cute and a great addition to your terrific collection. She looks like she's been posing for a photo for too long and just had "to go" really bad and then the inevitable happened and she wears that world wide smile of relief!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Gads, Pirl you came up with a corker. When I finish her I'll have to have her standing in a little "pool". Maybe I should make the next one more of a staid, portly old granny.

No, drip some oil down the front right between her legs and maybe it will stain it just a tad darker and then everyone will know the reason for the grin.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Balvenie, Very nice assortment of Little people . I see you were lucky enough to find some women too.

Hard to do since they stay in tending to chores and no one see them very often, or so I've been told.

I just got my first lady . Her name is Columbine . 5 inches tall. By Klaus Wickl 1993

Picture later or tomorrow.

Pixydish , THANKS kiddo for starting this thread
(((*-*)))

Thanks scooterbug for telling us about the "little women" gnomes.

I always thought Columbine was one of the fairies! Learn something new every day on DG.

Yes, thanks to Pixy for starting the gnome thread.

The name came from the artist that cast and named her .
Wonder if there could be a 'Columbine' Farie' hanging around somewhere. I'll do a search.

I like fairies too but just haven't found one that spoke to me (except for a metal art one @ $250.00) too expensive for my blood. Need money for potting soil .... lol

I do have a ceramic boy pixie that I call Puck. I'lll go out to the hosta bed and get a pic for later.

The name came from the artist that cast and named her .
Wonder if there could be a 'Columbine' Faerie' hanging around somewhere. I'll do a search.

I like fairies too but just haven't found one that spoke to me (except for a metal art one @ $250.00) too expensive for my blood. Need money for potting soil .... lol

I do have a ceramic boy pixie that I call Puck. I'll go out to the hosta bed and get a pic for later.

Edited to add : Found her I think. Of all the images and statues they all are in the same pose approximately.Too cute.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

So it really is a fairie! I did a lot of daylily crosses with a "Fairy Tale Pink" and many "husbands". I had a Fairy garden for a while until the little Hydrangea Tardiva turned out huge and I had to crawl under it to remove the daylilies!

I have some fairy photos somewhere. I'll look after dinner.

Columbine is so sweet.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Finally have time to post again, after taking some photos of the gnomes in their natural habitat! LOL
Brenda, the tine gnomes are actually little plastic plant picks that I found at a thrift store years ago. Each of them has a little spike so you can put them in your potted plants. I'll have to look around my house and see if I can find the rest of them.

Balvenie, I love all your gnomes! Where did you find the awesome lady gnome? Did you make her? Is she made of wood? She is great!

After starting this thread I got a bit of a wild hair about photograping my gnome collection, so here are several photos.

Here's an old German fellow enjoying the pond. Dieter says it's about time he was able to use his fishing tackle!

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Some Norwegian gnomes/trolls out for a hike.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

A gnome at a home he shares with frog and toad. He's considering how to landscape his front area.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Two of my little German chalkware friends discussing the weather. Shrubs are courtesy of hydrangeas 'Pia' and 'amethyst', camomile, Brazilian vervain, and vine growing over the door courtesy of the hardy fuschia that pops up everywhere for me.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Reading tales of the fairies in a shady glen. This one is one of my favorites!

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Avoiding yard work. I need to speak to this guy. He's always lying down on the job!

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Tiny chalkware gnomes among the sedums.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Australian travelling gnomes. Here's the story on these fellows: (Arlene, you're gonna be bored with this, since you've already 'heard' it.)
A few years ago we took a trip through Australia's Queensland and New South Wales. We were driving out in the 'bush', which means in the middle of absolutely nowhere. We rounded a curve in the road and as we came around we passed a little farmhouse set way back from the road. In a small fenced area in front of the house, near the road, were rows and rows of garden gnomes! Screeching the car to a stop with the loud exclamation 'GNOMES!', I threw it into reverse and stopped in front of the house. We all piled out to look and realized that these were hand made gnomes, each painted differently. There was a sign that said 'Gnomes - 5$', about 3$ american at that time. There was a little tin box to put the money in. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen!Needless to say, my kids and I each had to choose a gnome to travel with! You can see that one of our fellows has a broken hat due to his adventures in Queensland. There are supposed to be three gnomes, but I'm not sure where the third one is. Likely in Europe somewhere traveling on his own! We took our gnomes down in opal mines, and into hot springs with us. They've eaten Chinese food in a little Scottish Australian town and been close to wombats and kangaroos. We had great fun with them and the people were always pleasantly amused by the strange Americans and their traveling gnomes.

So I got a little carried away, but it was fun taking these photos. I'm sure I have other gnomes to be photographed, but I'll save them for another day.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixy: LOVE YOUR GNOMES AND THEIR HOMES!

The little red fence and the cedar tree, completed so nicely with the flowers is too charming for words.

You did a fantastic job!

Now we'll all be looking out for new gnomes!

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Ah, you've discovered my true agenda! More gnomes for everyone! So glad you enjoyed them, Arlene! Thanks to you for pointing me in the direction of the gnome door thread!

Quite welcome. It's been such a fun experience! I have a neighbor going to Germany for a month long visit with relatives: think I'll tell her not to bring me back any more candles, just gnomes! Tiny gnomes! and just maybe some of that chocolate.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Great thread, wonderful gnomes.... the world needs more gnomes!!!!
I have gnomes, will take pics. Pixy yours live in wonderful places. Some of mine have gotten lost in the 'jungle out there' that was my garden.
~Blooms

How I would love a life sized gnome: scare the wits out of the dogs and the neighbors!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Pixy, love your gnomes and their settings.The fisherman and trolls are a big hit.I like the bookish one a lot too and may have to carve one. The lady, as all the others,are carved from basswood and painted with acrylics.Keep the pictures coming.How do they like the new pond?

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Balvenie, I think I'm just a bit obtuse! You are carving all of these gnomes? That is just fabulous! They are perfect! You must point me in the direction of your website if you have one. Are you selling these or are you simply enjoying the making of them?

My gnomes are all ecstatic about the pond. The fishing gnome has been bereft of a fishing hole for years. I've told him to take care of any extra mosquito fish that come along, as I don't want a billion of the things. He is just happy to have a job.

The bookish gnome hasn't taken his nose out of the book to notice the pond yet, but the gnome in the home is happy to share with all the new froggies he's met.

Now that they are happy, maybe I'll get some work out of them! LOL

Edited to add this website from Ebay shops:

http://stores.ebay.com/anGanPowerShop_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

This lady is from the town I lived in as a girl, and she is selling tiny gnomes!

This message was edited Jul 16, 2005 5:15 PM

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Sorry Pixy,no website,I don't carve enough of them to sell, and carving is just another hobby for the enjoyment it brings.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I like the guy who is lying down on the job. He's got the right idea. So be easy on him. As for the gnomes in the first picture. Are you sure they aren't eating those mushrooms, we've all heard that gnomes are into some of those psychedelics

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Balvenie, it's obviously the right hobby for you!

Mobi, are you accusing my gnomes of psychogenic mushroom use? Come to think of it, they did appear to be enjoying themselves rather more than I thought necessary...

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Just an idea - you never know!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

balvenie,
Wow! You are so talented!! How long does it take to carve one? That is just sooooo cool!! ~ Suzi ♥

Finally got some pics of my sweet little Columbine ............

"Since Harmony of nature is such a part of the Gnomes way of life, when Columbine gathers her plants, she makes certain to harvest only what is needed... and leaves the rest for Nature, herself".

Columbine Gnome is part of the Forest Gnome Collection. She is 2 1/2 inches in diameter at the base and 5 inches tall.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

quick peek ........

Thumbnail by scooterbug

This is a cute 24" statue I found at Big Lots last year.

Marked waaaaay down because of the chip on the toe of his boot.

I named him Puck and he guards part of my hosta garden.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.