Photo by Melody

Tiny Gardens: Garden gnomes in their natural habitat.

Communities > Forums > Tiny Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Tiny GardensReplies: 236, Views: 754
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2005
7:37 AM

Post #1625128

The gnome door thread has inspired me to start another thread for the gnomes themselves. I'll start it off with a photo of two fine fellows discussing the weather last year. This mushroom sprouted and they take cover underneath.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
12:58 PM

Post #1625377

So adorable!
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2005
2:33 PM

Post #1625494

Such tiny little guys. I haven't seen many that size here in Canada. Very cute, Pixy!
bvdragonlady
Titusville, FL

July 15, 2005
2:37 PM

Post #1625502

Where did you find the mini-gnomes? I love them and love fairies too, just hard to find little ones...thanks for starting the thread, I did enjoy the other thread about gnome doors too...
Brenda
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
2:41 PM

Post #1625510

Old Flower Girl: Tom, the gnome door maker, wrote and said he found lots of them in a dollar store but didn't say exactly the size. He wanted to photograph them in the store but was reluctant to. If you write to him he might be able to tell you just where it was that he saw them.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1625612

Pixy, cute little guys.My family hasn't been able to find any good mushrooms growing around their home grounds yet, but they seem to be happy hanging out in the garden. Hagar says no photos without first paying the fee.

Thumbnail by balvenie

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
3:47 PM

Post #1625616

The Oslo group are of a larger stature due to the more Southerly climate and Urban environment.Or maybe its the lutefisk and pickled herring?

Thumbnail by balvenie

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
5:45 PM

Post #1625841

Love both of your collections balvenie! The first group with Hagar and me laughing! He looked like a school crossing guard to me.

The Oslo (or Lake Woebegone) group are so different and so beautiful. I like Sven and Ole and their friend, Golly Gee, but where is Lena?
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
7:11 PM

Post #1625984

Pirl, Lena is still searching for the appropriate clothing colors and accessories. (isn't that just like a woman?)

Thumbnail by balvenie

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1625991

LOL balvenie!!! Why on earth would Lena have that Mona Lisa smile in that outfit? She's really quite cute and a great addition to your terrific collection. She looks like she's been posing for a photo for too long and just had "to go" really bad and then the inevitable happened and she wears that world wide smile of relief!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
7:39 PM

Post #1626051

Gads, Pirl you came up with a corker. When I finish her I'll have to have her standing in a little "pool". Maybe I should make the next one more of a staid, portly old granny.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
7:45 PM

Post #1626075

No, drip some oil down the front right between her legs and maybe it will stain it just a tad darker and then everyone will know the reason for the grin.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2005
7:58 PM

Post #1626105

Balvenie, Very nice assortment of Little people . I see you were lucky enough to find some women too.

Hard to do since they stay in tending to chores and no one see them very often, or so I've been told.

I just got my first lady . Her name is Columbine . 5 inches tall. By Klaus Wickl 1993

Picture later or tomorrow.

Pixydish , THANKS kiddo for starting this thread
(((*-*)))
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
9:00 PM

Post #1626225

Thanks scooterbug for telling us about the "little women" gnomes.

I always thought Columbine was one of the fairies! Learn something new every day on DG.

Yes, thanks to Pixy for starting the gnome thread.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1626306

The name came from the artist that cast and named her .
Wonder if there could be a 'Columbine' Farie' hanging around somewhere. I'll do a search.

I like fairies too but just haven't found one that spoke to me (except for a metal art one @ $250.00) too expensive for my blood. Need money for potting soil ... lol

I do have a ceramic boy pixie that I call Puck. I'lll go out to the hosta bed and get a pic for later.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2005
9:45 PM

Post #1626318

The name came from the artist that cast and named her .
Wonder if there could be a 'Columbine' Faerie' hanging around somewhere. I'll do a search.

I like fairies too but just haven't found one that spoke to me (except for a metal art one @ $250.00) too expensive for my blood. Need money for potting soil ... lol

I do have a ceramic boy pixie that I call Puck. I'll go out to the hosta bed and get a pic for later.

Edited to add : Found her I think. Of all the images and statues they all are in the same pose approximately.Too cute.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2005
9:53 PM

Post #1626335

So it really is a fairie! I did a lot of daylily crosses with a "Fairy Tale Pink" and many "husbands". I had a Fairy garden for a while until the little Hydrangea Tardiva turned out huge and I had to crawl under it to remove the daylilies!

I have some fairy photos somewhere. I'll look after dinner.

Columbine is so sweet.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1627824

Finally have time to post again, after taking some photos of the gnomes in their natural habitat! LOL
Brenda, the tine gnomes are actually little plastic plant picks that I found at a thrift store years ago. Each of them has a little spike so you can put them in your potted plants. I'll have to look around my house and see if I can find the rest of them.

Balvenie, I love all your gnomes! Where did you find the awesome lady gnome? Did you make her? Is she made of wood? She is great!

After starting this thread I got a bit of a wild hair about photograping my gnome collection, so here are several photos.

Here's an old German fellow enjoying the pond. Dieter says it's about time he was able to use his fishing tackle!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
4:55 PM

Post #1627827

Some Norwegian gnomes/trolls out for a hike.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
4:56 PM

Post #1627828

A gnome at a home he shares with frog and toad. He's considering how to landscape his front area.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
5:00 PM

Post #1627834

Two of my little German chalkware friends discussing the weather. Shrubs are courtesy of hydrangeas 'Pia' and 'amethyst', camomile, Brazilian vervain, and vine growing over the door courtesy of the hardy fuschia that pops up everywhere for me.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
5:01 PM

Post #1627835

Reading tales of the fairies in a shady glen. This one is one of my favorites!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
5:02 PM

Post #1627838

Avoiding yard work. I need to speak to this guy. He's always lying down on the job!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
5:03 PM

Post #1627839

Tiny chalkware gnomes among the sedums.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
5:12 PM

Post #1627856

Australian travelling gnomes. Here's the story on these fellows: (Arlene, you're gonna be bored with this, since you've already 'heard' it.)
A few years ago we took a trip through Australia's Queensland and New South Wales. We were driving out in the 'bush', which means in the middle of absolutely nowhere. We rounded a curve in the road and as we came around we passed a little farmhouse set way back from the road. In a small fenced area in front of the house, near the road, were rows and rows of garden gnomes! Screeching the car to a stop with the loud exclamation 'GNOMES!', I threw it into reverse and stopped in front of the house. We all piled out to look and realized that these were hand made gnomes, each painted differently. There was a sign that said 'Gnomes - 5$', about 3$ american at that time. There was a little tin box to put the money in. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen!Needless to say, my kids and I each had to choose a gnome to travel with! You can see that one of our fellows has a broken hat due to his adventures in Queensland. There are supposed to be three gnomes, but I'm not sure where the third one is. Likely in Europe somewhere traveling on his own! We took our gnomes down in opal mines, and into hot springs with us. They've eaten Chinese food in a little Scottish Australian town and been close to wombats and kangaroos. We had great fun with them and the people were always pleasantly amused by the strange Americans and their traveling gnomes.

So I got a little carried away, but it was fun taking these photos. I'm sure I have other gnomes to be photographed, but I'll save them for another day.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1627860

Pixy: LOVE YOUR GNOMES AND THEIR HOMES!

The little red fence and the cedar tree, completed so nicely with the flowers is too charming for words.

You did a fantastic job!

Now we'll all be looking out for new gnomes!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2005
5:22 PM

Post #1627875

Ah, you've discovered my true agenda! More gnomes for everyone! So glad you enjoyed them, Arlene! Thanks to you for pointing me in the direction of the gnome door thread!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2005
5:32 PM

Post #1627892

Quite welcome. It's been such a fun experience! I have a neighbor going to Germany for a month long visit with relatives: think I'll tell her not to bring me back any more candles, just gnomes! Tiny gnomes! and just maybe some of that chocolate.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2005
5:48 PM

Post #1627918

Great thread, wonderful gnomes... the world needs more gnomes!!!!
I have gnomes, will take pics. Pixy yours live in wonderful places. Some of mine have gotten lost in the 'jungle out there' that was my garden.
~Blooms
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2005
6:07 PM

Post #1627948

How I would love a life sized gnome: scare the wits out of the dogs and the neighbors!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1627957

Pixy, love your gnomes and their settings.The fisherman and trolls are a big hit.I like the bookish one a lot too and may have to carve one. The lady, as all the others,are carved from basswood and painted with acrylics.Keep the pictures coming.How do they like the new pond?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2005
12:03 AM

Post #1628531

Balvenie, I think I'm just a bit obtuse! You are carving all of these gnomes? That is just fabulous! They are perfect! You must point me in the direction of your website if you have one. Are you selling these or are you simply enjoying the making of them?

My gnomes are all ecstatic about the pond. The fishing gnome has been bereft of a fishing hole for years. I've told him to take care of any extra mosquito fish that come along, as I don't want a billion of the things. He is just happy to have a job.

The bookish gnome hasn't taken his nose out of the book to notice the pond yet, but the gnome in the home is happy to share with all the new froggies he's met.

Now that they are happy, maybe I'll get some work out of them! LOL

Edited to add this website from Ebay shops:

http://stores.ebay.com/anGanPowerShop_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

This lady is from the town I lived in as a girl, and she is selling tiny gnomes!

This message was edited Jul 16, 2005 5:15 PM
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2005
12:15 AM

Post #1628548

Sorry Pixy,no website,I don't carve enough of them to sell, and carving is just another hobby for the enjoyment it brings.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2005
5:36 AM

Post #1629171

I like the guy who is lying down on the job. He's got the right idea. So be easy on him. As for the gnomes in the first picture. Are you sure they aren't eating those mushrooms, we've all heard that gnomes are into some of those psychedelics
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2005
7:09 AM

Post #1629261

Balvenie, it's obviously the right hobby for you!

Mobi, are you accusing my gnomes of psychogenic mushroom use? Come to think of it, they did appear to be enjoying themselves rather more than I thought necessary...
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2005
7:10 AM

Post #1629267

Just an idea - you never know!
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2005
12:22 AM

Post #1630637

balvenie,
Wow! You are so talented!! How long does it take to carve one? That is just sooooo cool!! ~ Suzi ♥
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2005
4:12 AM

Post #1631130

Finally got some pics of my sweet little Columbine ...

"Since Harmony of nature is such a part of the Gnomes way of life, when Columbine gathers her plants, she makes certain to harvest only what is needed... and leaves the rest for Nature, herself".

Columbine Gnome is part of the Forest Gnome Collection. She is 2 1/2 inches in diameter at the base and 5 inches tall.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2005
4:14 AM

Post #1631136

quick peek ...

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2005
4:21 AM

Post #1631147

This is a cute 24" statue I found at Big Lots last year.

Marked waaaaay down because of the chip on the toe of his boot.

I named him Puck and he guards part of my hosta garden.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2005
4:43 AM

Post #1631182

Puck is very cute! Big Lots had some garden gnomes last year, and my sisters got some.
Scooterbug, Columbine would be cute photographed next to her namesake flower!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2005
4:47 AM

Post #1631189

great Idea but alas the drought got my columbines this year.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2005
5:30 AM

Post #1631226

Thoralf and Ingrid just came back from the saeter today. They had been up with the goats in the summer pasture making cheese.
Scooter, Columbine and Puck are great.Thoralf is smitten with her.

Thumbnail by balvenie

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2005
6:10 AM

Post #1631258

just no end to your talents Balvenie,
I'm in love with Ingrid...
and Columbine,

and Mobi are you sure it's the gnomes into the psychedelics?
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2005
6:12 AM

Post #1631260

Whatever do you mean?

My imaginary friends told me to tell you that I'm not the one talking to gnomes!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 12:23 AM
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2005
6:24 AM

Post #1631269

??Who?? Me??
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1631662

Oh Mobi, only "imaginary" friends??? I bet their feelings are hurt. lol Although I'll have to admit that reality can't hold a candle to imagination, and fantasy is an everyday activity. Talking to gnomes ain't so bad. They are usually agreeable, don't sass or talk back or criticize, leave the final decisions to you and never ask "are we there yet?". Of course the elevation in Denver might make them a little more lightheaded than ours here at sea level, but gee, with the cyberworld what it is today its hard to tell what's real and what isn't. Oh well, I have to get back to work. The gnomes are fussing about not getting enough time on the computer!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2005
3:50 PM

Post #1631823

LOL If my gnomes ever read this thread, they might have their feelings hurt! After all, it's only the chosen few trusted mortals to whom they show themselves.For most of the world, the gnomes remain hidden. I've been informed by Dieter, in highly indignant tones, that those mushrooms are used for medicinal purposes only!

Edited to add Dieter's final words:
That photo of the gnomes under the mushroom was taken at harvest time. The party they had afterwards, as is their custom, was to celebrate a fruitful harvest. If some of the gnomes had a little too much shroom (whoops, he means mushroom), it is not the fault of the gnomes as a whole. Too bad SOME people like to blame an entire race for the actions of a few young ones!

He has stomped off to the rock garden to lie in the sun and soothe his wounded pride.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 8:54 AM
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2005
6:31 PM

Post #1632184

I thought - 'one side makes you smaller, one side makes you taller' ;-0

a friend in Arizona sez the same thing about Peyote - medicinal purposes only.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2005
6:50 PM

Post #1632207

balvenie,

Thanks for the nice words about Columbine and Puck.

I read your post to Columbine and she is blushing.

I asked her why and she said ''Thoralf sounds like one of those 'rowdy' German Gnomes '' ... lol
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2005
8:42 PM

Post #1632441

I am so sorry to the gnome people. They deserve better. I probably don't see them because I let my cat out into the garden and he likes to believe that he is a big cat hunter and I'm afraid that he thinks he should hunt the little people. He practices on a Barbie doll. He stands on her and pulls her hair out and there are teeth marks on her legs. Poor Barbie. He's a strange cat. I would like to have gnomes in my garden but the kitty makes it impossible.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2005
9:03 PM

Post #1632495

Mobi, you probably do have gnomes in your garden, they just keep out of sight when kitty is around. Maybe they're of the Mining Clan, the ones that taught gophers and moles how to dig.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1632960

Just type in one word, gnomes, into your search engine and see what you get.

I went hysterical with one site: gnome girl in bikini - well part of a bikini.

Go see for yourselves!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
2:00 AM

Post #1633105

Did as you said Pirl, and boy what mass of places to explore. One place had the best carved gnomes of all I looked at. gnomesite.com. It is a fun place and his carvings are excellent.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2005
3:50 AM

Post #1633397

Here's some gnomes caught in some mischief

http://www.taylorgifts.com/largerview.asp?prodName=GARDEN GNOMES &ID=25210
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2005
3:55 AM

Post #1633405

Pixydish, did you carve those Norwegian gnomes/trolls as well. I think those are so cute.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
12:06 PM

Post #1633693

Mobi - I found them yesterday. There was also a gnome gal with just half of a bikini.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2005
5:43 PM

Post #1634342

So silly! Do they have Gnome pets? Or are insects their pets?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
6:12 PM

Post #1634407

Parrrrrrrrdon me! Mine have flamingoes in case you missed them!
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2005
6:26 PM

Post #1634436

Sorry, I remember that now. I just am getting into all kinds of trouble!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1634442

Flamingoes have feelings, too! They're really white but appear to be blushing all the time.
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2005
7:16 PM

Post #1634520

Here is my latest gnome purchase. I finally found a little guy like some of the ones pictured in this thread. My others are all 8" or so tall, but this fella is tiny. I think he's cute carrying his basket of flowers.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
7:18 PM

Post #1634524

Great gnome, terrific flowers - just his size. He looks happier on a hot day than we do! You could probably add to his cart one of those tiny bottles of a liquor or liquer bottle just for fun.
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2005
7:23 PM

Post #1634531

LOL, that's a good idea. It's pretty hot here today too, 91 F. And I have an empty (of course :)) little sample bottle that comes attached to the big ones once in a while, that would look kinda cute. Good idea, pirl. They neighbors would get a good laugh. :D
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
7:53 PM

Post #1634599

I have one of tequila with a teeny tiny serape. Now I have to find a Mexican gnome!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
9:11 PM

Post #1634772

OFG, He's a great plant collector. Coming back from from a collecting expedition maybe?
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2005
9:44 PM

Post #1634850

Absolutely, balvenie! A big haul, I'm sure which is why he looks so sleepy. lol :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2005
11:58 PM

Post #1635118

This thread always makes me smile!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2005
3:24 AM

Post #1635637

OFG I love your new little gnome. He's is adorable with his stash of flowers.

I bought a few things from this gal recently
http://stores.ebay.com/Chosen-Treasures4u_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Take a look *big fat grin*
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2005
6:49 AM

Post #1635861

Dieter responds: Who are these gnomes who expose themselves to mortals? In my day (LOL) gnomes were respectible beings who didn't go around showing fanny to anyone who cared to look! Bet it's the younger gnome crowd. Same crowd who ruin harvest parties by taking in too much mushroom! And bikinis? Get real! I have a feeling that some gnome girls will have to learn the hard way that revealing too much 'skin' is not the way to a proper gnome boy's heart!

sigh. Dieter has done a lot of stomping around lately.

Incidently, Hans and Franz, the tiny gnomes, have taken to making pets of the baby froglets in the pond. I don't have the heart to tell them that the frogs are not going to be staying in the pond, they'll be moving into the trees soon. And also, they will not always be this small. They can enjoy a new crop of frogs next year. Perhaps they'll make friends with the black ground beetles. They stick around and are quite amusing to watch.

I added 4 friends to my collection today. These are made in the style I love, and though the colors are plain, I believe they will blend into the garden as though camoflaged. Here's the link to the Ebay site. They were quite inexpensive to buy. If the website doesn't link, the seller is Fairyluvr61 - check out her store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7701485220&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Mobi - alas, I am not as talented as Balvenie! Those trolls were carved by a very cold artist in Norway. I think they are about 40 years old.

I have more gnomes, but they are playing hide and seek with me. They do this when they are mad that I haven't had them out and played with them in awhile. They think it's funny that I blame myself for being disorganized. I must find them so they can be photographed.!
More gnomes for all!

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2005
3:37 AM

Post #1643328

Columbine is getting aquainted with her new home.

The other morning I found she had taken a walk-about with her rabbit pal (needs a name).

I spied her in my woodlands garden , seems as Columbine has taken a liking to the dicentra 'Adrian Bloom' with it's cute little pink blooms that remind her of upside down bloomers.

She is so cute and all about her , are happy she is here

This message was edited Jul 22, 2005 10:40 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2005
3:39 AM

Post #1643335

ooops , I meant to post the closer shot

Columbine

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2005
5:16 AM

Post #1643470

Now she looks entirely happy and at home in her 'natural habitat'! LOL> just hope she's friends with that troll or gremlin lurking behind the plant! Very nice!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2005
10:44 AM

Post #1643654

scooterbug - heavenly. She really belongs where you put her.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2005
2:12 PM

Post #1643924

Thanks you guyz ;-D

re: 'da gremlin/troll ... I found him by the aquarium 'stuff' at Wallyworld.

Only about an inch and a half tall .

I sure couldn't be expected to leave him behind ... Could I ('-'?)

*grins*

This message was edited Jul 23, 2005 9:20 AM
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2005
2:20 PM

Post #1643934

We named this one , Hans - 'da Garden Guy .

He wouldn't tell us who he is , but maybe someday we'll find out his real name.

Hans 'proudly' guarding his new 'shroom that grew last night.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1644083

Hmmm, Hans couldn't be waiting for the 'harvest party' could he? I see he already has a pot on his head! LOL I'll warn Dieter not to scold. Dieter scolds everyone. He's very highly strung.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2005
3:44 PM

Post #1644084

I love the flower pot hat!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2005
11:33 PM

Post #1644921

We just had one of those black sky rain storms come thru, blew poor Gus over and destroyed the 'shroom he was so proud of.

Columbine told thim that he can grow more with all this rain and heat under the oak tree and he gave her a big hug.

So she kicks his shin for being so forward ... lol

Maybe she should train da little troll for a body guard ?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2005
5:58 AM

Post #1645641

Columbine sounds like an old fashioned gnome girl! She would never be caught outside in a bikini, I bet!
blckwolf256
Springville, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2005
6:03 AM

Post #1645646

PIXYDISH... the Southern Clan Gnomes said to send Greetings to your Northern Clan Gnomes!!

Thumbnail by blckwolf256

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2005
6:21 AM

Post #1645665

Dieter, my spokesman for the gnomes here, bows low to greet the leader of the Southern Clan! May your beard grow long and your mushrooms grow large!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2005
2:37 PM

Post #1646071

Welcome from the Kettle Moraine Clan.

I love the character your gnome presents, very nice.

Columbine, spokeswoman

FYI, 'da Clan's playground ...
Kettle Moraine of eastern Wisconsin and extending westward along the most-recent terminal moraine.
Geologic features along the route include: kames, lakes, drumlins, ice-walled lake plains, outwash plains,
eskers, tunnel channels, unglaciated features of the Driftless Area and other older landforms.
blckwolf256
Springville, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2005
2:55 PM

Post #1646131

GREETING

Thumbnail by blckwolf256

blckwolf256
Springville, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2005
2:57 PM

Post #1646137

GREETINGS

Thumbnail by blckwolf256

blckwolf256
Springville, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1646139

GREETINGS...May your crops be plentiful and you Winters mild.

Thumbnail by blckwolf256

BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2005
3:07 PM

Post #1646161

very nice! i see i shall have to get me a few more too! ~ suzi :)

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1647027

Pooor Elise, she doesn't even get out to the garden, she's frightened of frogs, and gnomes and is afraid of getting bats tangled in her hair. This may account for her tragic expression. She is allowed to go to lunch with the ladies, which gives her some freedom, but she is lonely much of the time. She would be happy to hear from any eligible bachelor gnome who would take her for long walks in the garden.

Thumbnail by meezersfive

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2005
3:35 AM

Post #1647603

LOL, what a fun thread! All the gnomes and fairies are super! I particularly want a "Columbine" of my own. :D
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2005
6:01 AM

Post #1647783

Kettle Moraine Clan, what is your leader's name? Dieter sends greetings.

Blkwolf your greetings are accepted with a low bow. May every tree bear honey and your gnome home never flood! (The young gnome behind you appears to be enjoying his drink well. I do hope he makes it home without being spotted.)

Dieter is speechless after one look at Elise. Her ethereal qualities have his head spinning. Alas, Dieter has recently taken a gnome wife, new to the clan. He hasn't much practice yet as a married gnome. Fortunately, his wife is understanding and patient with him. However, she has just grabbed him by the beard and they are headed for home. He'll talk to us later. I believe he needs to spend some time fishing. He always thinks a lot while fishing.
Perhaps Hans and Franz? They are single. They are small , but they have big hearts.

More gnomes for all! We await the arrival of new gnomes by priority mail!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2005
1:59 PM

Post #1648202

Pixy,
Please tell Dieter Opa is our Clan leader and is currently on his way back from a trek exploring a Moraine.

I'll ask him about having a photo taken when he returns.

He is talking about stepping down to a younger leader .

He thinks someone around 200 years old would bring in fresh ideas that could benefit all.

I think Opa is one of the wisest leaders I have ever known.

We also have new clan members on the way. Oh Happy Day !.

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2005
2:08 PM

Post #1648214

Wil Huygen wrote:

'In your heart live, big and small, beings who do love you all:

...giants, pixies-clever, sly-elves and fairies in the sky.

Gnomes for certain will be there , kind and happy, do not despair.

Keep your beliefs forever alive, they , and you, will surely thrive.'

An encampment found in my little woodland garden ...

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2005
2:08 PM

Post #1653090

Lots of goings on in my little woodland ,the Frogs & Toads ... friends of our Gnomes ,

are enjoying the peaceful enchanted garden.

Looks like they have started to set up Village... and

Where else but besides the 'tricyrtis' Toad Lily ?

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1653476

Scooterbug, Dieter says Opa is indeed a wise man if he is thinking of stepping down while he is still around to influence the new leader! Dieter looks forward to a photo of Opa.
Great photos!

I was up extra early yesterday and stumbled upon this charming gnome town. I think this is the 'upscale' gnome area. No one was around, likely still sleeping since they are obviously gnomes of leisure!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1653493

I caught Thomas stopping to admire the Hydrangea on his way home from collecting firewood. Thomas and Dieter are close friends. They like to fish and camp together. Now that Dieter has married, he is not sure how to spend time with Thomas without his new wife, Frederika, feeling jealous. Dieter does not yet realize, since he has been a bachelor for over 100 years, that Frederika would like him to go off with Thomas occasionally so she can enjoy her friends without him there. I put the word out to Thomas and he will speak to Dieter.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2005
5:26 PM

Post #1653498

Here is an unknown gnome speaking to one of the local ravens outside his mushroom home.
This is an old numbered jar from Germany. The lid is the top of the mushroom. This was one of those lucky finds that happen less and less frequenly at thrift stores. I got this for 1.25, then saw someone selling another one on Ebay for $150. Man, I love it when that happens. Not that I'd ever sell this, but it's cool anyway.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2005
5:28 PM

Post #1653508

This little English porcelain guy was pretty ticked off that I requested he pose outside for this photo. He is accustomed to being a house gnome, not a garden gnome, and he likes his little shelf where he can survey all that goes on in the home. By his expression, I think I better be on the lookout for tricks being played in the house for awhile. Hope he doesn't turn the oven on or something like that!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2005
5:42 PM

Post #1653546

Oh, I think he fits in the Garden very nicely. That jar was a great find, Pixy! :)
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2005
7:25 PM

Post #1653833

I was out in the back today and came across Marcus... his house caught fire when a neighbor was burning the chain link fence line. He seems to be cheerfully at work fixing it... he may need a 'blue roof' if the rains ever return to the desert.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2005
7:32 PM

Post #1653849

On my way back to the house I see he's up there working on the roof first.
Apparently that's the worst of it.. he ''can live with the rest'' [of the damage].

Marcus is a miner by trade and used to tough conditions. Says it's hard to get youngsters to take up mining these days. Still he's basically cheerful by nature. Never had a wife, "never saw the need".

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2005
8:01 PM

Post #1653929

Aww, poor Marcus. Happy looking little fella though...maybe it's because he never had a wife! LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2005
9:38 PM

Post #1654154

Or maybe he has a girlfriend!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2005
3:35 AM

Post #1654953

Boy O Boy , me ol heart went thump when I saw tat beautiful jar .
You lucky goil you ... (((*-*)))
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2005
4:57 AM

Post #1655107

Yeah, I do love the jar! It was one of those finds that I grabbed and paid for and got out of there before they caught me!

Marcus seems like a pleasant sort of fellow. But you know those mining gnomes - all kinds of things happen down in the mines. Some gnomes get quite the fantasy life down there. Maybe this is why he never saw the need for a for a wife? Or maybe he's just the easily satisfied sort? They're usually the happiest.

Dieter says Frederika is the best thing that ever happened to him. He says Marcus doesn't know what he's missing. But then, Frederika helps Dieter with the gnome women in the clan.

More clan members arrived today from far away. They are getting settled, then they will be welcomed. Photos forthcoming.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1664636

'Columbine' politely curtsies and sends greetings to Deiter .

Have your new 'clan' members arrived yet ?

OPA and the rest of our travelers must have stopped along the way for a rest or

to do some trading and to get acquainted with other Kettle Moraine sub-clans.

If they bring them along I sure hope Columbine

and the other women can keep up with preparing a huge feast.

We do have a wee stranger resting in the Enchanted Woodland Garden.

He awoke as we approached and scampered away into the Mini Hosta Forest.

Shy little fellow he is .

(((*-*)))

This message was edited Aug 1, 2005 2:24 PM
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2005
7:12 AM

Post #1665881

The new clan members are here, but all the gnomes are making themselves scarce. We're getting ready for the 'open pond' party on August 14 and they're afraid I'm going to ask them do to work for me so they've dug burrows under the mulch. Also, I know they are getting ready for the party, as they will be showing off a bit for the guests. I wouldn't be surprised if Hans and Franz are planning some kind of hijinx just to see if they can get away with it!

But I should be able to get a photo of the new clan members soon. We have two more arriving any day now, little wee ones, so I've been waiting for them, too. (But mostly I've been busting my hindend out in the yard trying to get it ready for guests. You know how it is. The garden looks great until you think someone else might see it. And THEN the real work begins!)
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2005
1:17 PM

Post #1666278

So true !

No prob, just wondering.

(((*-*)))
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2005
2:53 AM

Post #1672106

Caught our weary traveler sound asleep again ...

Must have been some journey. We hope he will have some good stories to tell the little ones.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2005
2:55 AM

Post #1672113

My faithful Gorpy Grot peers nervously from the shadows.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2005
2:58 AM

Post #1672116

Following his line of sight, I see what he discovered perched behind the Traveler Gnome.

Wonder if the frogs are friends of his ?

Thumbnail by scooterbug

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1672191

/;-)~
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2005
3:45 AM

Post #1672222

LOL
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2005
5:39 AM

Post #1672388

Very cute! I was able to take photos of my new garden gnomes, and now I can't download them as it appears I have no more space for photos. Sigh.
Just checking in.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2005
5:55 AM

Post #1678451

Finally! I've got some photos of the newbies, and have a few minutes to sit at the computer! I've been working my tail end off getting ready for this open house, and I don't even know how many people will be here! LOL Doesn't really matter, since two days later my mother-in-law comes for a week's visit. She's an avid gardener and always enjoys our gardens here.

These two new gnomes are just hiking in from the highlands. They've stopped by the waterfall for refreshment. Smaller than our other gnomes, they are feeling a bit 'wee' at the moment. Deiter has recommended that no one refer openly to their size until they feel more at home. Haven't decided what jobs they will have yet. We're having trouble communicating. They speak only German.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2005
6:00 AM

Post #1678454

These are the other new gnomes to join the clan. They've all brought their own tools and are ready to help me get ready for the open house. I am so grateful! They are dressed in camoflage, as you can see, because they haven't yet met the cats around here and are a bit nervous about standing out. I like their look. I believe they blend in with the surroundings nicely. These gnomes all talk at once and it's difficult to catch the thread of conversation unless you're used to their ways. They will finish each other's sentences and can predict with the other gnome will say, answering questions before they are asked. I believe they must be very 'connected' to one another. They tell me that they are all "twin sons of different mothers", whatever that means. Dieter has kept his distance so far. They overwhelm him. But as Clan Cheiftain, he'll have to get over it soon and do his duty to welcome them warmly. Meanwhile, they are working on grooming the gardens around the pond.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1714238

I have been following this gnome thread with great delight ! I have a couple of the wee chappies (Scottish clan !) that I have been collecting and when my birthday came up last week, I asked for a gnome door. My SIL made one for me, and it turned out not too bad considering he had never seen one! I thought I would share some photos.
Heather

Thumbnail by Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2005
5:20 PM

Post #1714241

This is where they hang out.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2005
5:21 PM

Post #1714242

Heather, I LOVE it! Not just a door, but a dwelling!

(And here I thought all the gnomes were on a summer vacation, LOL)
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2005

Post #1714243

One of the little fellows.

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2005
5:22 PM

Post #1714248

And another.

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2005
5:53 PM

Post #1714313

Heather , I love your gnome home and your little chappies.

I tend towards the approximatly 6 inch gnomes but do have some larger and a couple teenie ones too.

Your setting with the path (I will do one some day) is so serene.

This is Cranberry, found him napping under an enchanted bird bath.

These will just appear and disappear as all mushrooms do.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2005
5:56 PM

Post #1714317

He loves the squirrels, bunnies, and birds that visit him daily!

closer ... shhhhhhh
;-)

Thumbnail by scooterbug

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2005
6:06 PM

Post #1714329

LOL, Heather, your little chappies are adorable and what a lovely job your SIL did on that door. Very nice.

Scooter, I love your little sleeping gnome. Makes me want to tip toe up and tap him on the shoulder, just to see his sleepy eyes open. :)
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2005

Post #1714334

heheheh, and see them all scatter ... lol
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2005
8:35 PM

Post #1714647

Heatherbelle, I love the door your SIL made! It does look like an entire home. Very cute little gnomes! And their environment is lovely. They do keep it nice for you! LOL

Scooterbug, does he know you are photographing him while sleeping? :) Dieter would just kill me if I did that, but then again, he snores so he gets embarassed about it. He's so vain.

Here's a photo of some neighborly gnomes chatting it up during my recent "open pond and garden" party. They had a great time entertaining guests. I am ashamed to say that the recent camoflaged clan had too much mead and made a bit of fools of themselves underneath the rhododendron. I do have a photo of them, but it's still on the camera. They did work hard helping me get ready for the party, but they need to learn that this is just not how we do things around here.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2005
8:37 PM

Post #1714651

One of the German clan guarding the punchbowl during the party. He behaved himself very nicely!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2005
10:23 PM

Post #1714874

This little guy is a bit shyer than the others (he is also a bit bigger so maybe that is why). I just realised I have no female gnomes - so perhaps that is what he needs to "bring him out of himself" LOL !

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2005
10:26 PM

Post #1714882

This is a larger picture of the spot where the gnome "dwelling" is situated. I feel a mini garden "coming on" !
Heather
P.S. My DH is watching me VERY, VERY, carefully. LOL !

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2005
11:09 PM

Post #1714970

Well, if anyone can plant a nice mini garden, you can Heather. Go for it! I think it would look great. :)
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2005
1:22 AM

Post #1715176

Heather ,
...How cute are they ? Too cute !

Your Gnome by the new dwelling is the cutest with his hat pulled down like that.
The laughing gnome with the snail made me giggle. I think some of his relatives are here in my Enchanted Woodland Garden. I really gotta take some pictures soon.

Pixy,

... It's so good to hear that everything went well during your "open pond and garden" party.

I'll try real hard to bring you up to speed soon as I can.

OFG,
...I'm still grinnig about your comment earlier about tapping Cranberry on the shoulder while he is snoozing .
Seeing in my minds eye those chubby booted feet scurring as fast as fast can go off into the underplantings.

S.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2005
3:50 AM

Post #1715493

A mini garden sounds just the thing! It would be great! You could have a dwarf conifer forest!

Here's the photo of the camoflage gnomes after the party. They really are not making a good first impression on the gnome community here. They thought they'd blend in with the surroundings underneath the rhody, but we found them all right. I guess no one told them that they have one whopper of a hangover if they mixed beer with wine. Dieter is laughing his beard off!

Dieter asks after Columbine, but don't tell Frederika! She keeps a close watch on him.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2005
4:43 AM

Post #1715568

* Sweet little Columbine blushes and demurely flutters eyelashes *
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2005
6:54 AM

Post #1715662

LOL!
Dieter grabs the old fishing pole and runs the other way, away from temptation! It's the demure eyelashes that get him every time! Frederika is making his favorite supper tonight so he's trying extra hard.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2005
1:29 PM

Post #1716011

LOL , I love dis place !
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2005
6:03 PM

Post #1716724

Way too much fun!
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2005
6:16 PM

Post #1716765

I think I've changed my mind regarding introducing a female gnome after reading the above comments ! Sounds like it could cause a whole lot of gnome trouble LOL !
Heather
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2005
7:51 PM

Post #1716954

No trouble if you get Gnomes from Traditional Clans Heather.

Only a little flirting goes on.

According to our most honored Clan Leader Opa

-quote-

"It's the newer clans that are shamefully rowdy and risque so

that's why they are not welcomed into our Clans " .

This message was edited Aug 24, 2005 2:56 PM
Joan6aON
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2005
8:20 PM

Post #1717015

There's some quixotic wee folk in this thread and I enjoyed every one. I'm not much of a fan of the larger ones, but these have captured my imagination.

Oh Oh, y'all got me thinking. laff

Joan :)
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2005
9:53 PM

Post #1717187

Well then, I shall look for a well brought up "wee scottish lassie" gnome.
We have a great respect for the "wee folk" in Scotland (smile).
Heather
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2005
4:26 AM

Post #1718083

Dieter agrees with Opa, but also adds that he believes his gnome clan has to accept gnomes who have 'lost the gnome way', to help them come back to their gnome heritage. It is always a trial to take corrective action with wayward gnomes, and as more and more humans discover the 'world' of gnomes, more and more young gnomes are straying from their origins. Some have been known to actually SHOW themselves to humans in an attempt to become famous! It is troublesome to the clan leaders.
Dieter and Frederika discussed the Camoflage gnomes with the clan and it was decided that each Camognome would be assigned a mentor. They will be separated from one another much of the day, as they learn their new tasks and meet new clanfolk. The mentor will be responsible for teaching the clan ways and encouraging personal growth through reflection and work. The clan elders agree that these are young gnomes that can be taught. We shall see.
Privately, Dieter is worried that there is a trouble maker in the bunch. Frederika agrees.
Frederika gives greetings to Columbine and says that she is gratified that Columbine finds her man so appealing. She appreciates Columbine's good taste. Frederika is nothing if not secure in her man.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2005

Post #1718573

Columbine returns greetings and wants to tell Frederika that she is lucky to have such a good man.

Someday she hope to marry but prefers to stay within the Kettle Moraine Area Clan.

Columbine has heard whispers of a child being expected soon.

She will watch to see who will plant an acorn for the babe.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2005
3:32 PM

Post #1718836

Now it is Frederika's turn to blush! Whoops! There goes Dieter - running for the pond yet again, face a bright shade of crimson!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2005
3:29 AM

Post #1740222

We have some new Gnomes in the Enchanted Woodland.

Brave little fellows came riding in , this one astride a big fat goose.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2005
3:34 AM

Post #1740229

Aboard a frog , this one seems very happy to have found our place.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1743892

Don't they look delighted to have arrived! Lucky for them they had rides!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1744338

Yup ,One arrived 'First Class Goose Airways' and the other by 'Leaps and Bounds Transport' .

hehehhe

I was told there is a Swifty Fox connected with the Gnome legends, do you know if this is so ??

I was looking for a 'Swifty Fox' . Found one on evilBay but it was too beat up for the price asked :-(

Think I need to get some books too.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2005
4:50 AM

Post #1744685

Foxes are certainly connected with gnomes, mostly as helpers it appears. They transport gnomes as they can move swiftly from one place to another and the gnomes can stay warm in their fur. In the two gnome books I have, there are many pictures of foxes. I've never heard of 'swifty fox', but it would make sense.
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2005
8:18 PM

Post #1745718

I too, decided I needed some books on gnomes so I am awaiting delivery of two that I got from ebay. I thought that if they were going to take up residence in my garden, I should know enough about their culture so as not to unwittingly offend them. Are they a bit sensitive ?
Heather
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2005
11:31 PM

Post #1746012

Hi Heather,
Dieter says that younger gnomes can be sensitive to cultural slights, but as they mature gnomes begin to understand the limited capacities of their human gardeners! LOL
That Dieter - always a hidden agenda with him! Frederika just sighs and shakes her head at him.
It's my experience that some gnomes are overly sensitive, just like some humans. But not that many. The fact that you have ordered books should show them how much you care.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2005
3:45 AM

Post #1746462

Everyone is still waiting for our Clan Leader OPA to return .

(Thinking I should straighten up a bit and get dat uglee hose put away )

Columbine is off visiting some other lady gnomes now that the days chores are finished .

She heard them whispering of a babe soon to come ,

so off she scurried gathering her pink skirt tightly so as to avoid getting snagged while hurrying through the woods.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2005 10:50 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2005
3:59 PM

Post #1747194

That is a precious gnome door witht he little walls! Can't wait to hear about who's awaiting a babe!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2005
4:30 PM

Post #1747259

Thanks Pixy,
I just couldnt find a place for the door , all my trees just lean in too far.

I read somewhere that gnome doors could be anywhere , so for now I just split a piece of Chilton Stone to make a corner.

I have an idea for more of a custom installation if/when I get time ;-)

p.s. I have a Secrets of the Gnomes Rien Poortvliet & Wil Huygen
English Translation 1982 on the way ... yipeeeeee !
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2005
8:01 AM

Post #1748561

You'll love it! It's such a cute book. And I do like the stone. I can envision 4 stone walls with the door, and a little 'thatch' roof made with straw tied into little bundles. Very cute!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2005
2:17 PM

Post #1748942

Thanks, Really cant wait to get dat book ;-)

I like your way kewl (vision) idea of the stone abode .

Went back to HD looking for more appropriate shaped stones that were split-able but this late

in the season there wasn't much left to choose from - boo-hoo.

If I get a chance I'll sand cast these two pieces of stone and see what they look like .

This winter I hope to design my own Gnome door and create a mold for casting in smooth cement.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2005
7:43 PM

Post #1749426

The sandcasting idea is cool. I was thinking you could make plain square molds out of wood, then pour mortar mix (sand and cement) into them, making them fairly thin. When the mortar sets up, you could use a sharp tool to scribe lines onto them to make them look like either brick or stone. Then, before the mortar cures too hard, use acrylic paint mixed with a little water in natural shades to stain them. It would look awesome! I've used this technique before to stain small areas of concrete or cement and it works well. You just dip a small paintbrush in acrylic paint, picking up only a little color, then dip it in water so that it creates a 'wash' of color on the piece. The water spreads the pigment quickly so that the effect is subtle. The water soaks into the cement, leaving the pigment behind.

Check out this website: don't you think one could build gnome homes out of this stuff?
http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2005
10:51 PM

Post #1749734

Thanks for the paint tip, I have just sloshed watered down paint on totally cured objects myself.

I savd the link. It refers to a lot of companies we are aware of but so much more.

BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2005

Post #1752314

Thanks Pixy - that site was cool! I'd like the bridge, tower, little house, chess set, etc... And the time and talent to build them! LOL ~ Suzi :)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
5:46 AM

Post #1753841

You and me, both! Perhaps it's a winter activity...
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2005
7:22 PM

Post #1759305

Spent a lovely while building magical stuff in my daydreams from that site Pixy, great fun. DS was looking over my shoulder. He's a long time devotee of Dungeons & Dragons. And never outgrew his fondness for castles either.
/;-)~~Blooms
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2005
9:42 PM

Post #1759503

Haha ! Guess who's been seen up in the North Woods

OPA! Hanging out and resting in the late afternoon sun ;-)

This message was edited Sep 14, 2005 11:22 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2005
9:45 PM

Post #1759504

ooops !

Just before he heard me and scurried off.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2005 4:48 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:30 AM

Post #1759765

Hi, All,

I have enjoyed all this thread and it has brought back many fond memories from the 70's and 80's when I was busy doing all kinds of craft projects with gnomes. Mostly, I painted them )from the 2 books) on small chip-boxes which I lined in velvet and put a mirror inside the lid. I sold many of them at our X-Mas bazaar.

Anyway--all this talk about the books. I have them both. For those that maybe don't know what this is all about, here is a picture of the first one called "THE GNOMES".
It was originally published in the Netherlands in 1976 Translated into English in 1977 and published by Peacock Press/Bantam Books. The Library of Congress Catalogue # is: 77-82805
(I think there were NO ISBN numbers yet...)

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:32 AM

Post #1759768

The later book, "The Secrets of the Gnomes" was also first published in the Neatherlands in 1981. It was translated into English in 1982. It is ISBN-0-8109-1614-2.

Here's the cover of that one:

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:34 AM

Post #1759777

Heatherbelle,

Love your door! Want to have plans for the rest of the hidden house? Here it is from "The Gnomes" book. Start digging!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:36 AM

Post #1759782

The Gnomes have quite a society going. When they reach about the age of 100, they begin courting...like these two:

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:39 AM

Post #1759788

You know the old saying: "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a carriage...ooops! The Gnomes were SO clever! Look at this functional baby-rocker!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:41 AM

Post #1759794

Of course, all Gnomes are real busybodies. Work...work...work...
They also are most helpful with all their animal friends. This one is building his bird-pal a bird house.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1759801

Pixydish, you are right aabout the foxes! Since many Gnomes live in the far North (these are called Arctic Gnomes), they often hitch a ride on the back of the Arctic Fox. What a way to go!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2005
12:47 AM

Post #1759819

Finally--we all know that the Gnomes have been around forever! They ARE really old! This one was even there to help Noah unload all the animals--two by two!

Thanks for letting me join in on this lovely thread! By the way, I have 3 brand new, never unwrapped "Secrets of the Gnomes" books. $15 plus $5 shipping. First come...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2005
12:50 AM

Post #1759827

One summer day a couple of years ago, I called my youngest daughter out to the garden. (She had her nose in a Harry Potter book). "Amanda" I called, "Come out here and give me some help!"

"What do you need, Mama?" she asked.

"Do you see the mess they've made out here? Digging holes all over, pulling up my plants? Go get them out!"

"What? rabbits? cats? the dogs?" she asked.

"NO! The Garden gnomes! I want you to grab them & twirl them around and make them so dizzy that they can't find their way back here again!"

"Mom!" She grinned. You've been peeking at my Harry Potter books again, haven't you?" Can't fool THAT blonde...
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2005
2:24 AM

Post #1760047

hiya Wanda ;-)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2005
3:54 AM

Post #1760234

Blooms, some of us never outgrow our fondness for these things! And it's a good thing, too. We'd be pretty boring if we couldn't have a little childlike fun occasionally. I dream of having the time to really do some stuff with those little molds. That's why it would have to be a winter activity. If the sun is out, so am I!
Gitadel, those are great books. Those are the ones I have, as well.

Scooterbug, your guy's eyes are closed as he smokes that pipe. Are you sure about what's in it? He's looking mighty relaxed!

Wanda, I love the Harry Potter books! I was a bit disappointed in how she represented the garden gnomes, though. Clearly she has never had firsthand experience with true garden gnomes. The ones in the books sound more like garden trolls! Our entire family loves those books. When the recent new one came out, I read it outloud to the entire family, usually during dinner out on the sailboat! What a great summer pasttime that has been. My kids are 13 and 20, and they still love it when I read to them. My husband likes it, too!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2005
4:29 AM

Post #1760306

Who Knows?

I guess Clan Leaders could do just about anything but since he is Leader he would no be doing anything unseemly.

Opa has been roaming about the glacial slide all Summer so I imagine he may be a wee bit tired (once in a while).

Here he is at a high point getting his bearings before continuing on.

I think he better get his short little legs going before the cold weather sets in.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2005
4:33 AM

Post #1760312

Looks like he found the next trail he will scurry along side of

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2005
4:42 AM

Post #1760322

LMBO
Do you think they will lock me up seeing a GGM taking toys on her old harley for miles and miles to take pictures of it ? Naaaah !

as that old song said...
And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
They're coming to take me away ho ho hee hee ha haaa
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
In their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away ha haaa

Dr. Demento , take me awaaaaaaaaaay
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2005
5:46 AM

Post #1760389

It must have been quite a climb for him just to get to his perch!
And I haven't heard that one in a LONG time!

This message was edited Sep 14, 2005 10:47 PM
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2005
12:45 PM

Post #1760630

Love the traveling gnome shots... :)

Back 20 years ago I was part of a "traveling gnome" network. We had a gnome statue that we sent all over the world. The idia was to phtotgraph him in front of a landmark in your area, add the photo to his traveling album & then send him on to a new player. He was phtotgraphed with the Eiffel Tower, Londonb Bridge, Mt. Rushmore & other sites.

I phtotographed him in front of the house used as a backdrop for Grant wood's "Amewrican Gothic". I shot from the ground so we could see the peek on the frarmhouse--to match the painting. The traveling gnome held a pitchfork & I put an apron on the little female gnome with him.

I wonder what ever happened to him? Still traveling the world?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1760933

How fun that must have been! I wish I could find the photos of our traveling gnomes from australia. Maybe on my husband's computer. If I can find them, I'll post some.
Anyone know where the whole 'traveling gnome' stuff got started?
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1760963

I think someone kidnapped someone's gnome and took it around the world and sent pictures back to the owner
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2005
4:04 PM

Post #1760977

Yes, I think there were several 'gnome-nappings' in Europe. Actually there is a 'free the garden gnomes' society, I think in England. Perhaps Germany. They actually take people's garden gnomes and put them in the forest!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2005
4:39 PM

Post #1761039

;-)

Thumbnail by scooterbug

1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2005
7:08 PM

Post #1761340

Well i've been looking and looking for a gnome that I liked. Couldn't find one so I made one today. Figured it was a good birthday activity for myself. Here's the first stage after the oven stage. He's a little messy for a garden gnome (they are usually really tidy little girls and guys) but he's more like me. Just a little bit in a state of dis-order. I'm going to go buy some paint next. Going with the usual red hat, blue coat look. Then I'm gonna stick him in my shade garden. I think he'll like it there on the quiet side of the house.

Thumbnail by 1251casey

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2005
7:20 PM

Post #1761373

Gitagal, I would love a copy of "Secrets of the Gnomes". I am waiting on "Gnomes " that I ordered from Amazon - it is taking ages to come. It seemed that the books used to be everywhere but not now. (I should have bought them the first time around !).
Please D-mail your address and I will send the money - you might want to re-think the mail cost as I live in Canada.
Heather
PS. A little courting couple have joined my clan - I will post a picture when they have finished with the "kissy face" thing !
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2005
1:54 AM

Post #1762110

Casey.. Great work there! I like the eyes
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2005
4:17 AM

Post #1762418

Casey, isn't he a handsome fellow! He's going to be divine! Will you make him a girlfriend? Or at least another guy friend? Looks like you are using salt dough? My kids and I used to make salt dough creations all the time. My daughter and I got into making little furniture with it, and then painting with metallic craft paint. They turned out sweet!

Dieter and Frederika send greetings to the new couple in your clan, Heather. Hans and frans are just a bit jealous. I think they are getting ready to settle down and are feeling a bit frustrated that they don't have many maids to choose from. Dieter is hilarious! Just the idea of this young couple doing the 'kissy face' thing makes him blush furiously and run for his fishing pole! Frederika laughs and laughs!
1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2005
1:09 PM

Post #1762770

Pixydish,
Yeah, I think he does need a lady friend. I think I'll make her bending over in the garden. I like the idea of her braids touching the ground.

I hit ebay and am currently bidding on a cute little guy riding a turtle. So who do I blame for this growing addiction????? I thinking Pixydish. . . after all you started this post. I'll be sure to send you the bill if my husband has to seek profesional help for me. LOL.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2005
3:32 PM

Post #1763028

casey, I LOVE your gnome. What talent you have.

The family of riding Gnomes are adorable. I have the Goose and the frog so far.

What addiction ? ? ? I can stop anytime I want to ... bwaaahahahahaha
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2005

Post #1763227

LOL! Well Casey, I can 'lead a horse to water, but I can't make him drink', know what I mean? Bwuhahahahah!

Sure, Scooterbug can stop anytime, right? This reminds me of a client I had who had an obvious addiction to alcohol, but denied she ever got drunk because she only ever took 'one drink' when she went out with friends. Turned out her 'one drink' was about 16 ounces of straight vodka! Naw, no addiction there!!!

I have to be careful with Ebay. It's WAY too easy to spend big!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1763597

Casey, you have a talent... he practically breathes... and my Dad's left eye was droopy like that. lol ~Blooms
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2005
12:42 PM

Post #1772689

Should we start our OWN DG traveling gnome? We would need one that was not too heavy or big so he would be easy to mail around. Maybe a little photo album to travel with him so we could see where he's been?
1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2005
1:03 PM

Post #1772727

I love the idea!!! The DH garden gnome. Visiting gardens across the world. Do you think it would all go to his head???
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2005
9:31 PM

Post #1773685

That's a great idea! We'd have to make sure it was a mature gnome so he could handle the travel itinerary. Maybe a list of people who would like a visit from the gnome? (After all, it will cost a little to send him around, ) And maybe he could carry a small plant gift from one garden to another? Just a small surprise gift, nothing large.

Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2005
10:54 PM

Post #1773829

I'd love to have him visit Iowa! Does anyone have a gnome --I'm sure I have a small photo album around here someplace and a proper box for travel...
1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2005
11:14 PM

Post #1773867

Pixydish,

I agree, he must be mature. No kiddie gnomes. I like the plant idea too. It's be great way to spread some gnome love. I'd love a visit!!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2005
1:44 AM

Post #1774123

I have a small 'Travelocity Gnome ' fridge magnet, that is very correct in his Gnomageness.

He would be easy to send around but maybe we want a little figurine?

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2005
2:56 AM

Post #1774277

Yeah, I think a figurine. Because he needs to be able to stand up, you know. I'll poke around my cupboards etc, too, to see what I have. We could include a little diary with him for people to sign and dscribe his adventures. Sort of like in geocaching, an activity my family is into using a handheld Global Positioning System. People hide little caches with little prizes, like cheap toys, and a booklet to sign with your name, where you are from, and any notes you'd like to make about finding the cache.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2005
3:22 AM

Post #1774320

I don't have mini-minis , mine are all around 5" to 61/2" tall
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2005
7:52 AM

Post #1774639

Hmm. I do have small ones, but they are all quite old and I paid a good bit for them. I did see some very cute ones at a nursery around here a couple of weeks ago. They were not expensive, but I didn't get one because I was trying to 'discipline' myself! LOL
So maybe I'll have to drive out there and take another look. I think their 40% off perennial sale is still on...maybe on Friday.
1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2005
1:15 PM

Post #1774840

Oh sure, blame the sale for your visit. . . you know you can't say no to a good gnome!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2005
4:47 PM

Post #1775183

I've been caught!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2005
3:45 PM

Post #1776950

and here I was thinking she was using the gnome as an excuse to hit the plant sale. LOL /;-)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1777103

OOOHHH NOOO! Now I have REALLY been discovered! YOU PEOPLE KNOW TOO MUCH! LOL
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2005
5:39 AM

Post #1778470

If you haven't yet, check out Drdon's thread on the Great Gnoman Empire. Dieter was almost insulted, but then thought better of it and decided to play the game with the 'big boys'.

Yes, I hit the sale again today. Picked up some Lonicera 'Baggin's Gold', and a new white aconitum. Plus a couple of other things.

This gnome was waiting patiently, almost the last one to be taken. His name is Henk and he's fit for travel if everyone likes him. He's about two inches tall and weighs next to nothing. He has his own box with cushioning and airhole.
Here he is being greeted by a couple of gnomes in front of their pondside home.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2005
5:40 AM

Post #1778471

I think he must have a bit of an ego. Dieter warned him about the slippery rocks in the waterfall, but he had to prove he could do it. I'm not sure how he managed to get down. I couldn't watch.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

September 24, 2005
5:41 AM

Post #1778472

Olaf (and on, LOL) and Kjel (pronounced "shell") found me this summer.

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

September 24, 2005
12:56 PM

Post #1778685

I love gnomes. Here's my Pocono Mac. I love the idea of your traveling gnome. That would be a fun thing to do.
Pam

Thumbnail by woodthrush

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2005
2:35 PM

Post #1778861

Pam, Your lil fella is handsome indeed !

Pixy,

... What a perfect little traveling gnome IMO.

Clan Leader 'OPA' politely advises Dieter to ignore 'that' human and he will eventually go away .

After all "GNOMES ARE FOREVER" tee-hee

(((*-*)))
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2005
2:36 PM

Post #1778866

OPA has an excuse for taking so long to finish his last trek.

'later'
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2005
4:56 PM

Post #1779166

Prairiegirl, I love your gnome! And Pam's is great, too! We all have quite the collection!

How do we organize this 'traveling gnome' idea? People should post if they want to use Henk, or if they have another gnome they'd like to use.
I'm wondering if we should start another thread to see if other people would sign up? And maybe post in other forums, like perennials or plant trading? Just an announcement so others could see that it's available?
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2005
5:55 PM

Post #1779266

hiya gnomers,

certainly as a mortal being (marginally human at best) I will certainly go away and become dust before the liliputian community so much as ages a week. The gnoman empire thread is not to make fun Of gnomes or their mortal caregivers, but to have a little fun with the easy rhyme. I apologize to Dieter, Grandpa (Opa), and any others in the realm of gnomedom and have endeavored to just laugh. No offense was intended, and if any was taken by gnormal or normal sized creatures I will close the thread.

may your beards grow long,
don
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2005

Post #1779285

Dieter to Don:
No apology needed, my human friend! No offense taken at all! We gnomes enjoy the humor games of mortals and as clan leader at Clan du Lac I hope all gnomes will go to your thread and enjoy the jokes! It is a sign of maturity to be able to laugh and enjoy these things!
Welcome to our thread and my your beard grow long and your harvest be rich! (low bow here)

I am, however, confused! Did you say 'mortal caregivers'? No, no, my young padawan! It is we who care for them! :) Your 'mortal error' (chuckle) is understandable.

Actually I like your 'Gnoman empire' title so much , I am considering having Frederika , my honored wife, make a sign to go over the door to our home. I believe it is descriptive of my title as clan chief, n'est pas?

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2005
7:46 PM

Post #1779467

Stop ! Stop ! you two ( no don't stop )

Almost fell of the chair here laughing so hard ...
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1779808

I think the gnomes are hijacking a few minds again...
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2005
1:58 AM

Post #1780068

A gnome's mind is a terrible thing to waste! Or maybe that's my mind that's terribly wasted...
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1780591

LOL! love it! My mind is wasted too--spent the past 20 years raising 2 cheeleaders who have run off to college. Gardens are much easier.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2005
3:53 PM

Post #1780784

I agree! Raising gnomes and flowers is much easier than raising daughters!
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2005
5:03 PM

Post #1780898

Gomes don't get your trees & house "teepeed" every fall!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2005
6:08 PM

Post #1781005

Oh Brother! Bet you're glad that's over! Gnomes don't have lives full of emotion that's right on the surface! They handle their own problems!
1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2005
6:40 PM

Post #1781060

Pixy,

I love Henk! He seems perfect to me. A little bit of a dare devil, but maybe the cool fall air will calm him down a bit. I'd love to have him visit here, but afraid he might not get to enjoy a walk in the garden now that the flowers are starting to take their winter naps here. At least they're getting ready to. But I am going to Chicago in a few weeks and maybe he'd like to tour the art museums????? Not sure if gnomes like that sort of thing or not.

Dr. Don,
No problem. . . gnomes like to laugh, even at themselves.

Casey
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2005
1:18 AM

Post #1781698

Casey, I believe that traveling gnomes do just that: they travel! So I'm sure Henk would love to accompany you anywhere you choose.

Well, Wandasflowers started this thing and we're all game, but I think we should have another thread just for signing up for the traveling gnome. Afterall, we don't want to send him anywhere that he wouldn't be welcome! And each of us would pay our own postage, so we need to know who's game.

Did we agree that he will provide a small but tasteful, garden related housewarming gift at each home he visits? Could be a plant from the garden, but since we're looking at fall and winter, maybe we should branch out from that and just say something garden related, and small and inexpensive. Nothing too much. Gnomes are humble. Does this work?

Let's get it all nailed down before we do another thread.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2005 6:22 PM
1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2005
3:37 AM

Post #1781873

I'm in , I'm in, I'm in.

Pay for the sending postage, you play for the outgoing gnome airfare and garden gift (good idea). How long on turn around???? a week ? a month?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2005
3:40 AM

Post #1781923

How about a week? Wandasflowers need to chime in as it was her idea first. But a month is too long, I'd just forget I was supposed to go to the mailbox!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2005
1:52 PM

Post #1782372

Timing was a big problem with the "Paper Dave" thing. Huge lapses in between mailings. Some just got totally forgotten/lost .

Good thing about paper Dave (& Trish too) was a new one could be printed up and re started ;-P

I never got mine , the last time I checked it was 2 stops away from me then POOF!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2005
4:30 AM

Post #1783898

I started another thread, since this one is getting cumbersome! Here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/547446/

I know nothing of Paper Dave and Trish. Maybe before my time?

But where is Wanda? Is she busy playing in her flower beds? Or with her garden gnomes?

See you at the new thread.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5194092

I think admin was trying to get you in a more appropriate place. Your original forum was moved to the 'Tiny Gardens' forum, but I see you started a new one in Garden Art...?
-T
Sallysblooms
South, TX

July 2, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5194349

Wonderful gnome pictures! I hope Hagar got his money, ha.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2008
6:22 AM

Post #5196962

This thread is so old I'm not sure why they bothered. 'Tiny Gardens' didn't exist when i started the thread. And actually, these photos are taken in my regular garden, not a tiny garden. But the gnomes are tiny. Oh well. There is a new gnome thread in the aroid forum. Someone started a new traveling gnome.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5197498

I think they did it, because you are right. Up until now there was no specific place for this type of thread

They were spread out in terrariums, cottage gardening, garden art, etc.

I always hunted around for these types of threads, but wished they were all in the same place.

Recently I posted to admin asking for a forum just for this type of thing: gnomes, fairies, bonsai,railroad gardens...anything mini.

Many people joined in the thread and it became popular very quickly. Admin agreed, and days later we had a Tiny Gardens forum!!

We were so happy to get a special forum just for these types of threads, and gardens. Everyone over there is very friendly and quite excited :0)

We'd love to have you join us, over there :0)

I'll go mention this to the aroid forum. Tiny Gardens is a brand new forum, and they just might not know about it, yet.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5198489

I'll check it out. I didn't know about it. I'd love to see photos of people's little fairy gardens. I put in a small one this year.
Little_Squirt
Wayne, NE

March 4, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6219051

Pixydish-what is the yellow plant you are using with the black mondo grass? 13th image down?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6219066

That's a short creeping sedum, NOID. It has golden colored leaves and the flowers are yellow. Wish I had the species for you. I can look tomorrow and see if I can get a closer photo if you like.
Little_Squirt
Wayne, NE

March 5, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6222869

That would be wonderful if you could. I really like it.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6222940

maybe sedum makinoi?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54240/
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #6223636

Sure looks like it, Seedpicker. The 'ogon' variety. That sounds familiar as well. Nice job!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 10, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6246551

Can you imagine I just found this thread, and I so love gnomes. I have a few headed for placement in a tiny garden if and when I ever get there. Haven't found a girl gnome yet, but I'll keep looking. DH said he saw a full size metal gnome in a front yard but couldn't remember where...take notes, I told him.

All the gnomes are so cute, thanks for the pics.
Janit
Seattle, WA

March 17, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6277870

You can find some mini gnomes at http://www.shop.twogreenthumbs.com - there should be two different sizes in there too!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 17, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6281393

What a great site! I enjoyed looking at it. Saved it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tiny Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miniature gardens delphiniumdiva 73 Jul 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Miniature Garden BassetMom 43 Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Miniature Garden Marcy_1 37 Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM
Faries Anyone AFDolly 22 Jul 25, 2007 2:06 PM
Faerie Gardens! babybird 87 May 8, 2008 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America