for cercis canadensis Forest Pansy?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3392757

I got mine from Forrest Farm. Healthy plants!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3392815

Magnolia Garden Nursery, 45 miles northwest of Houston, has it in two sizes
http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Cercis_Forest.html
It is a wholesale nursery only. Contact a local nursery and ask if they will order it for you.
watersedge
Northeast Harbor, ME

April 15, 2007
8:31 AM

Post #3393254

Fairweather Gardens has 4-5 footers listed. I've always had good luck with their material.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
10:03 AM

Post #3397197

Here's the PlantScout rundown: http://davesgarden.com/ps/search.php?search_text=forest pansy&submit=Search

I went to Greenwood Nursery last summer (I was in the area and invited myself over ;o) If they're shipping out the trees I saw, you won't be disappointed - they were very large and healthy-looking.

I picked up a ~1.5" caliper (5' or so) 'Forest Pansy' last spring from a nursery in the McMinnville area. It bloomed great this spring (before the cold snap came through and knocked everything back a month...) Good luck in your search - I think you'll really like the spring foliage on 'Forest Pansy'!

gooley
Hawthorne, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2007
11:16 AM

Post #3397524

Greenwood is okay, though not always the cheapest -- it depends what you're buying, and I haven't looked at that cultivar (though I should: the generic C. canadensis puts on a show ever year here). Get a free membership from them and you get a bit of a discount on orders.

ForestFarm has always been good in my experience, though this year I have a plant from them that seems to be dead, dead, dead... the buds haven't opened, must drop them a line. It astounds me how they can grow so many things well. (Some rosarians have claimed that they've got some of their species roses mis-identified and won't listen to people trying to correct them, but that is about the worst thing I've heard: the R. sericea pteracantha [Wingthorn, impossible to mis-identify] I bought from them earlier this year has gone from buds to blooms and lots of ferny-looking foliage.)

Mark., rambling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America