Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Can you recommend a reliable source

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 5, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2005
5:03 PM

Post #1646391

for cercis canadensis Forest Pansy?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3392757

I got mine from Forrest Farm. Healthy plants!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3392815

Magnolia Garden Nursery, 45 miles northwest of Houston, has it in two sizes
http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Cercis_Forest.html
It is a wholesale nursery only. Contact a local nursery and ask if they will order it for you.
watersedge
Northeast Harbor, ME

April 15, 2007
8:31 AM

Post #3393254

Fairweather Gardens has 4-5 footers listed. I've always had good luck with their material.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
10:03 AM

Post #3397197

Here's the PlantScout rundown: http://davesgarden.com/ps/search.php?search_text=forest+pansy&submit=Search

I went to Greenwood Nursery last summer (I was in the area and invited myself over ;o) If they're shipping out the trees I saw, you won't be disappointed - they were very large and healthy-looking.

I picked up a ~1.5" caliper (5' or so) 'Forest Pansy' last spring from a nursery in the McMinnville area. It bloomed great this spring (before the cold snap came through and knocked everything back a month...) Good luck in your search - I think you'll really like the spring foliage on 'Forest Pansy'!

gooley
Hawthorne, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2007
11:16 AM

Post #3397524

Greenwood is okay, though not always the cheapest -- it depends what you're buying, and I haven't looked at that cultivar (though I should: the generic C. canadensis puts on a show ever year here). Get a free membership from them and you get a bit of a discount on orders.

ForestFarm has always been good in my experience, though this year I have a plant from them that seems to be dead, dead, dead... the buds haven't opened, must drop them a line. It astounds me how they can grow so many things well. (Some rosarians have claimed that they've got some of their species roses mis-identified and won't listen to people trying to correct them, but that is about the worst thing I've heard: the R. sericea pteracantha [Wingthorn, impossible to mis-identify] I bought from them earlier this year has gone from buds to blooms and lots of ferny-looking foliage.)

Mark., rambling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America