Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: ID this bee thingie?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2001
8:54 PM

Post #7643

I don't mind bees and such as long as they're pre-occupied with flowers. Does anyone know what this is? I want to start IDing insects so I can keep an archive of local ones to use with the gardening hotline - we always get insect questions!

:o) Kimberley

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2001
10:53 PM

Post #89571

It's hard to tell for sure but in my bug book it looks like a Northeastern sawfly. Latin name is tenthredo originalis. It says they grow 3/8 inch long and the adults feed on nector. The larva feed on foliage of shrubs and trees.
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2001
11:51 PM

Post #89592

Looks like some kind of wasp to me.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2001
2:49 AM

Post #89657

Kimberley - going off thread a bit here. I went to a garden centre today and they had a batch of shrubs that they allowed the Japanese beetle to devour. They said as long as they stay on these plants they will leave the others alone. A feeding ground no less. But the awful thing is that their bugs looked exactly like mine and yet I thought my bugs were the cockchafer beetle or chafer beetle. Are they one and the same thing? The colours, shapes etc are quite identical in my eyes.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2001
8:51 AM

Post #89713

Did they look like the one I posted? It's quite irridescent with bronze and green on its body and distinctive little white dots along its side. See the post I put on the photo forum for a close-up of a bonafide Japanese beetle and see if that's it: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/53226.html

What plant did they use at that garden center? Good idea!
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2001
7:54 PM

Post #89937

Looks like a yellow jacket to me.

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cty/milwaukee/urbanag/bugnet/outflying/yellowjacket/yellowjacket.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America