Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Brugmansias: Need help with new brug cuttings

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 38, Views: 474
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2001
9:35 PM

Post #7647

I need a little help for all of you folks who have the brug expertise. I have ordered several brug cuttings.they will arrive unrooted, next week and I need advise on rooting them.I really, really don't want to loose them...here is what I ordered:
B'Charles Grimaldi'
B x candida'Double White'
B. versicolor 'Peach"
B. versicolor'Pink'
B.'Shredded White'
B.'Jean Pasko'
B.'Equador Pink'
B. versicolor'Giant White'
I also ordered cuttings of a few lochromas which I am told are near relatives of brugs:
L.Cyaneum
L.'Indigo'
L.'Red Wine'
L.'Royal Blue'
please, please, any help is greatly appreciated and may i please be included in the trade lists for the fall.
Thanks so much
Sandy...I"M JUST SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2001
9:48 PM

Post #89543

oh honey!!! I hope to be able to trade with you!
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2001
9:51 PM

Post #89544

As long as I have enough you and anyone else that wants to can trade with me.They will be in the greenhouse so I should have plenty
S
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 2, 2001
10:26 PM

Post #89566

Sandy, wow!!! you have the disease like me, and got some good ones!!! i have killed a few cuttings, am sorry to say, so i won't tell you all the things i have done. the easy ones i put in water and they just make roots and then i put them in soil. i have one cutting i have moved 4 times, is now 1 1/2 inches tall.
congrats on the new babies.
arlene
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2001
12:08 AM

Post #89594

MY-OH-MY! Nice list! Who did you order from? Do you feel like I do? - since I started with these Brugs I feel like they're in trust. Just lost one I got in a trade and felt like I'd let down the side.
Liz
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 3, 2001
12:19 AM

Post #89596

Sandy, were the iochromas expensive? saw one at a nursery, really really liked it, was light purple.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2001
5:58 PM

Post #89880

Most of the brugs you mentioned should root very easily in water. I've found that they need to be in a warm location, and changing the water daily helps. I've had really rotten luck, more than once, with rooting the double white. I'd recommend a very porous free draining soil with lots of sand/perlite mixed in and again, a warm location. The double white seems to always rot before I get roots! None of the others have ever done that, except for peaches and cream...I've received so many cuttings of that one...and they always die...so I am in the process of purchasing a rooted plant of both P&C and Double White. Sorry, can't help with the Iochromas! Good luck to ya!
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2001
10:40 PM

Post #89973

Sandy, I just did a search on your lochroma. Am I right in thinking that it's the same as Acnistus australe? I grew these this year from T+M seed. Do you mean I can take cuttings of it?
Liz
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2001
10:50 PM

Post #89975

If you can, Liz, let me know what you want for a trade::)
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2001
5:25 AM

Post #90130

To the best of my knowledge yes you can take cuttings from the lochomas( but I am not close to xpert).In fact, I am a novice i have to check with the my source for the brugs before i share that information as to where I got them. i think that from all of your help, I will try to root some in water and some in a very light soil mixture.
Thank you very much for the help.
Sand
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2001
5:37 PM

Post #90297

Tig - you're welcome to a rooted plant. Have about 8 that I haven't found a spot for. Never have learned not to sow the whole packet of seeds. Email me if you want it
Liz
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2001
6:27 PM

Post #90315

I emailed you Liz. Isn't this place great??
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2001
12:13 AM

Post #90425

Liz, I have emaile you directly
herblady
Knoxville, TN

July 7, 2001
2:15 AM

Post #91378

tig Now u have to share with nana.just one brug is all
i want!!!!!!!!!!!please !!!!!!!!!11
luv nana
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2001
2:17 AM

Post #91379

nana, you'll have to wait, what i have are just babies, and there's nothing to take cuttings from yet!! But I won't forget you, you know that!
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2001
11:24 AM

Post #91454

tiG, one stem for the tall lanky Ga. boy. Come on now I would give you one stem.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2001
11:51 AM

Post #91461

and you know I'll give you a stem too Jim!!!! But what I have now really isn't ready to cut anything. I have 3 babies that are about 10-12", one that has no branching that I can't get a cutting from yet, and stems that have no root. Patience is a virtue!!!
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2001
1:37 PM

Post #91494

How true tig!!!!
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2001
1:45 PM

Post #91496

Patience, Prudence, Patience...Y'all remember your friend in Texas when these guys get big enough to leave and find a new home!

{{{{Jerrie}}}}
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2001
5:34 PM

Post #91965

I'll be remembering everyone that i am able to share with
Sandy
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2001
8:34 AM

Post #92626

Thanks K'ht' ...I was tryimg to get some stock started in the greenhouse and I unfortunately get very impatient. So far(cross your fingers), I am having pretty good luck with these. the woody stems seem to be doing better than the green ones. Is this normal??
Sandy

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 10th 4:35 AM
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 10, 2001
1:22 PM

Post #92662

Sdoglover,
Woody stems are easy for many people Sandy. With some hybrids its about the only way I have ever got one to root. The trick with green cuttings is to remove each and every leaf and bury them a bit deep. Only water when they are wilting and keep cool and out of direct sun. Green cuttings are much more prone to rot when started in water so for ease of growth I plant most of my cuttings in peat,shredded pine bark, coconut husk shredds, and perlite. If I don't have enough time to plant them all I toss them in a jug of water where I often times forget them and they do eventually form roots in water or rot. Of course, for the gardener with even less time, simply place 10-20 cuttings in a pot and fill it with soil. Those that root can be seperated later. Ahh, and don't throw away those green cuttings as I have gotten completly green and very tiny pieces of double candida species to root in soil. If nothing else its a learning experience. I must have killed hundreds of Brugmansia trying to learn how to root cuttings till I figured out that each hybrid is different and what works for one so easily will kill another. Soil rooting seems to be the easiest most sure fire method. Soaking the cuttings in water just long enough to perk them up before planting.
Brugmansia
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2001
2:33 PM

Post #92695

The easiest method that I've found for starting brugs, woody or green, even x knightii, is in a homemade hydroponic tray. Take a rubbermaid 10US gallon storage box, cut 12 2" wholes for the baskets, (you will need a drill attachment), use an old aquarium heater or waterbed heater(underneath) and an aquarium filter. Put rockwool in the baskets, dip cuttings in hormone and bingo. Works like a charm and costs about $20 to make if you can find the heater/filters cheap. Hope this makes sense.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2001
8:38 AM

Post #93437

Just wanted to note that thanks to everyone's advice, most of what i put in water is showing signs of roots. the things in soil, I , of course can't tell yet. Sadly, I put more in soil, than I left in water.
Sandy
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
9:11 AM

Post #94624

Hi, Liz--no. Iochroma is NOT the same as Acnistis, but DO try the cuttings---if they take, I'll trade you a rooted brug for a rooted one of them.
Judith
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2001
2:18 PM

Post #94710

Judith, I think she wrote Lochroma not Iochroma. I have the Thompson + Morgan catalogue in front of me and it says Acnistus australe (syn. Lochroma australe).Sent a couple out this week and still have more so hope you're not going to prove me wrong
Liz
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 15, 2001
2:29 PM

Post #94713

Well Karma-everyone,
A friend of mine started a nursery and called up wanting seeds so it looks as if I might have found a home for a few hundred seeds for them to start. Always best when you can send a whole seed pod or at the very least a half a seed pod. I would rather send out 200 seeds then 10 seeds, but only if I knew all 200 would be germinated. I love seeing new hybrid creations and I don't mind others growing my hybrid seeds, I just don't trade my best hybrids that I personally raise up. Ahh, not to mention cuttings of plants in my field as so many of you were worried about the roundup on my plants. So far I have only chopped down 2 of my brugamsia by the way. I don't kill them all at once, I chop them down and let the others continue to grow until all of them have flowered, then I uproot the ones I like and roundup the stumps that are left. Of course I must confess I am buisy pollinating right now and not worrying about cutting down trees at this point. I do have one monstrosely tall fast growing Brugmansia out of the batch. It outgrew the other Brugmansia by 5ft even though I stripped it off all of its leaves twice so far.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2001
2:32 PM

Post #94715

okay, now I feel better:)
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2001
2:43 PM

Post #94718

To the best of my knowledge these are Lychroma, and can easily be confused when typing because of the similariety between the capital i and the lower case L...When I got the original cuttings I thought i was getting Lychromas, however..now i will check.
Sandy
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2001
2:48 PM

Post #94719

I will find out shortly as i emailed where they came from...now I am confused but I did think it LOCHROMAS????

BTW..as soon as my cuttings are showing signs of root, I am putting them in soil with rotone and using a light soil mixture. They all look good so far. Thanks for the help and I'm off to check the little darlins'
sandy

p.s. I did a google and the answer is LOCHROMAS

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 15th 11:07 AM
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 15, 2001
3:16 PM

Post #94733

Sandy, my google showed 25 for lochroma and 786 for iochroma. whatever they are, they are very pretty. almost bought one a few weeks ago in purple. they had it labeled iochroma. was looking at pics of a midnight blue one, looks prettier than the purple i saw.
arlene
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2001
2:36 AM

Post #95416

Hi Arlene,
The person i got them from has sent me two emails after my query and spelled them differently each time. I will wait until they bloom to bew 100% sure... better safe than sorry..that is ..if my cuttings make it
:)
Sandy
K'ht'..I'm going crazy trying to figure this thing out between you and Holly. The two of you are such dears..I'm going to have to turn over my first born(and he's already housebroke)Sandy

This message was edited Monday, Jul 16th 10:38 PM
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2001
6:51 AM

Post #95442

Time for my two cents' worth again---the thing I'm talking about is iochroma, and Liz, I was wrong---it IS given as a synonym for Acnistus. Previously, the only Acnistus I'd seen was A. australe, which does look similar, but NOT the same as the iochromas I found on the web. The A.australe I saw had a more widely flared mouth than the iochromas, and a shorter flower. The leaves really didn't look quite the same either. I'd be willing to bet it's like the brug/datura thing---they used to all be classified as the same genus, but now they're not. And taxonomists WILL keep changing the names on me as fast as I learn them! The way I see it, if we each had at least one OF each...
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2001
1:51 PM

Post #96565

o.k.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2001
1:17 PM

Post #97047

AAAaahhh..that's right ..you know about my happy dance.It's a darn good thing my GH is sturdy enough for the little earthquarke i create
S

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America