Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Coleus: OFA Containers

Communities > Forums > Coleus
bookmark
Forum: ColeusReplies: 61, Views: 1,235
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1652313

As promised, here are some of our containers we did for the OFA grower and florist convention in Columbus earlier this month. Altogether, we did over fifty big pots.
#1 - Coleus Bronze Pagoda, Diascia Sun Chimes Coral, Iresine Purple Lady and Solanum jasminoides Variegated. For the pictures, I wanted to get a better background than the industrial-looking greenhouse benches. All I had was some cardboard. Now it looks like a warehouse. DOH!
Pay no attention to the stupid cardboard.
Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Click the image for an enlarged view.

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
1:44 AM

Post #1652320

#2 - Coleus Brooklyn Horror, Tradescantia Biltmore Bimbo, Torenia Catalina Pink and Peristrophe hyssopifolia.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
1:47 AM

Post #1652330

#3 - Coleus Big Enchilada, Salvia vanhouttei Paul, Euphorbia Diamond Frost and Calibrachoa Minifamous Pink

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1652339

#4 - Coleus Duke of Swirl, Calibrachoa Million Bells Terra Cotta, Justicia brandegeeana Variegated and Geranium Minicascade Red

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1652359

#5 - Coleus Fishnet Stockings, Heliotrope Fragrant Delight, Scaevola Whirlwind White and Hemigraphis Exotica. This planter was right in the middle of the main concourse. By the end of the show, Fishnet Stockings had been reduced to stubs. Sidney must have been there.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
2:02 AM

Post #1652372

#6 - Coleus Tiger Lily, Coleus Telltale Heart, Duranta Gold Edge and Laurentia Blue Star. Finally gave up the cardboard.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
2:06 AM

Post #1652381

#7 - Coleus Grape Expectations, Perilla Magilla, Strobilanthes dyerianus, Centaurea gymnocarpa, Salvia Raspberry Royale, Helichrysum Limelight and Petunia integrifolia.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
2:12 AM

Post #1652395

And finally, #8 - 'Nothin' But Coleus'
In no particular order: Dappled Apple, Bronze Pagoda, Religious Rutabaga, Lemon Chiffon, Grape Expectations, Copper Glow (aka Rustic Orange), Tabasco, Inky Fingers, Odalisque and Garnet Robe.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2005
3:47 AM

Post #1652601

Wow, Chris, those are fantastic! I think it would be so much fun to be able to have a huge array of plants to pick from when making pots. All the pots are so very different from each other - were they each made by a different person? I keep trying to choose my favorite but I like 'em all.

What happened to all the pots after the convention? I sure hope they didn't get thrown away.

Next year it would be fun to do a contest with coleus containers (non-coleus plants allowed, too). Your containers are so inspiring! I don't know if we could allow you to enter the contest though. Hmmmmm. Might have to make you the judge. LOL

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
7:44 AM

Post #1652780

They are beautiful. Tiger Lily is a sure winner in my book.

Hap
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2005
10:54 AM

Post #1652837

What does happen after all is over? I have never seen so many beautiful coleus is so many different arrangements.

WOW!!
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
12:45 PM

Post #1652971

The containers are given to the volunteers that help with the convention. We were asked to do these containers about 5 or 6 years ago and have been doing them ever since. They are a big hit with the growers because we feature unusual and underused plants and, of course, lots of coleus. Hopefully, they take these ideas back home with them and use them at their own greenhouses and garden centers, thereby expanding the selection for all you folks.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
1:20 PM

Post #1653024

Yeh, I bet they keep the goodies just for their closest friends...LOL There are some unusual ones, for sure. I love the way one plant can look so different between growing it in the sun or in the shade. Coleus are like biotanical magicians...LOL

I have two that keep morphing into many other designs...same colors, but totaly different context. These are my two "Weed" coleus...they take over all space...fast.

Thanks again for sharing, Chris. Ah,,,the dreams I have...
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2005
4:36 PM

Post #1653409

If Sidney pinched the "Fishnet Stockings" she sure better be ready to share!!!! LOL

These containers are beyond beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing them with us and showing new combinations.

Now, I'm going out and smack a few Coleus around that aren't doing their job!

Pati

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1653527

BTW, my DD, when visiting her last week in Chicago, threatened to report me to the Coleus Cops...I was going all over town pinching their coleus. Trying to be frugel, some of my pinches were not enough and they did not make it. Others...welll...heheh
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

July 27, 2005
7:59 PM

Post #1653923

OMG! They're all gorgeous. Truly works of art in those containers! :-). But Fishnet Stockings in #5 just took my breath away! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing these pics with us :-)

-Julie
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2005
9:13 PM

Post #1654113

I really like "Fishnet Stockings" She keeps the dark veins. I have Gay's delight that had a lot of dark veins when it was tiny. Now that it is grown up the veins get smaller and less noticeable. But it is still a pretty, bright color.

Thanks for sharing these combinations with us. Makes me want to buy even more, next year. LOL
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2005
12:33 AM

Post #1654501

OooooooChris!!! You certainly outdid yourself on these. They are all so beautiful. It makes my brain hurt just thinking of all the combinations for next year. LOL I'll be bookmarking this thread for future reference. Thanks so much for sharing!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2005
2:34 AM

Post #1654829

Well that wasn't me this time darn it.
I'll have to check when I get home to see if I do have fish net stockings.
I have had a wonderful day with bucoos of gardens and I will report tomorrow.
I've been up since 4:30am and am beat.
sidney
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2005
2:56 PM

Post #1655740

goodoldbake, fabulous, just fabulous. I, too, am marking this thread for reference.

edited to add: I like pix #2 best because the purple in the wandering jew accentuates the purple stems in the coleus. Note to self: plan a combo using colored stem of one plant as the color basis. talking about echoing!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2005 9:59 AM
cbrandenburg
Freedom, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2005
4:22 PM

Post #1655930

Beautiful combos, I will also keep track of the thread for next year, I love combo pots. I have never heard of Justicia brandegeeana Variegated.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2520771

I was just looking at your website Goodoldbake
http://bakersacresgreenhouse.com/annuals_small_page1.htm
and want to urge you to do mail order.

In our area we have Annie's Annuals
http://www.anniesannuals.com/
and they started by selling to all the local nurseries. I just heard that since they went to mail order last year, they are now going to close down their wholesale side to nurseries and just do online orders. They make so much more per plant.

I see some begonias a few of us need! LOL. Not to mention your huge coleus inventory.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2521503

They were just as good this time as the first time. This thread is the one that really got me interested in all the unusual goodies. When is this years OFA Shindig? I have some contractors to apply with in Ohio.
Sidney
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2006
2:09 PM

Post #2558599

I finally posted this year's containers. Sorry Kell, no plans for mail order yet.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/632031/
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3361914

Chris? How bout a new thread with some new container pics?

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3362199

Oh, thanks for bumping this Brinda!

Sigh, it would be heaven to tour Chris' nursery but we can have the next best thing, new pictures!
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #3362279

My Baker's Acres catalogue came yesterday! Every year I think it can't get better (or funnier), and every year it does. Cris,thank you, thank you, thank you!

My catalogue resides in my bathroom, along with a couple of Dave Barry's books. My guests know they are there, and are frequent visitors to the "facility". The giggles coming from behind the closed door attest to the fact that my friends share my sense of humour. LOL
Pati
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #3362529

Hi Sue! I've missed you and I hope everything is going well for you!! And please, don't be a stranger around here.

Pati, I sure hope I get a Chris Catalog. I saw the cover on his website and I'm sure it's great. What a sense of humor that guy has!
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

April 6, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3362747

Concerning the new Baker's Acres catalogue: Guess who has a picture of her pretty face in it. LOL.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3362974

I've haven't gotten to your pic Alice, for it's slow reading and drooling for things I can't get. It's a riot as usual.

Hap
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3367475

Chris I'm near, in Flourence, Ky. I guess I should send a few clues as to how to spot a compulsive coleus groomer.
;)
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

April 9, 2007
8:04 AM

Post #3370832

Hap,
ok, I understand. Just tell me when you get there and I will explain who is who (in the picture). LOL!
Alice
PS: Understandably, I'm veeeeery proud and honored. Am I a celebrity now?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
8:27 AM

Post #3370896

of course
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #3372339

Kids,

Yes I'm alive, barely. Here are some more combos from the archives as requested.

Sugar, I could feel your presence - like a disturbance in 'The Force'.

Alice, You might want to hire an agent. I'm sure you'll get calls.

Patti, That must be what they mean when they say 'bathroom humor'.

Brinda, Hang in there. The USPS takes their good old time with bulk mail.

Hap, Perhaps you should wear a bib when reading the catalog.

BTW, the website is finally updated for '07.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3372345

Another one.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #3372350

And another one.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3372420

One more.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3372425

Last one.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2007
5:17 PM

Post #3372619

Chris,Chris, Oh Please come back what is the one beside the Dipt'in Wine
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3372345
eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

April 9, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #3372644

hi georgina,

i'm not chris but i think that's religious rutabaga or combat next to dipt in wine.

chris as usual beautiful coleus... i think i sent yet another request for a catalog- sorry i'm bugging you! i sort of panicked when folks started saying they got theirs already. our PO misdelivers our mail quite a bit... sorry for the intrusion!

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3372660

Oh Wow Chris! You've made my day on a very dreary cold day! How beautiful everything is! Isn't it nice to see how all your hard work has paid off? They're gorgeous!

BTW...still no catalog! :(
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3372689

Chris, Unlike someone who shall remain nameless(Brinda),I'm not Wine-ing(cheddar or velvetta) about not getting my catalog(I just requested it today)I'll be happy to Share mine with the nameless(Brinda)When I receive mine FIRST...LOLOLOL
Pheadra
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3372752

Pheadra,
Joy is correct. The plant is Religious Rutabaga.

Joy & Brinda,
Call your local PO and complain. They're probably sitting there waiting for a slow day for your local mailman. They were mailed on March 16th. Most everyone has gotten theirs including Florida and North Carolina. Even Sweden (but that one wasn't sent Bulk)!
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3373258

Teeheehee Pheadra! You're just so funny! I've been whining for almost a week and I'll really be whining if you get yours before me! LOL

Chris! My mailman hates me!!!! We're at the end of his route and almost daily he has to get out of his comfy mailtruck and treck to my frontdoor to deliver plants of some sort! I know he hates me! He never EVER smiles when I answer the door! Makes me want to smack him upside the head!!! And I think I shall if I don't get that catalog soon! ***smack!!!***
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3373305

Brinda...I need to ask a question...I would love to make these containers for my front screened in porch, but how much sun would they need to really look good...there is a lot of very strong indirect light on the porch...some east sun and some west sun...but the porch is facing south...it has been a long time since I was in the coleus stage of life...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #3373323

Oh Gail, make them! You will love them. The best part about containers is that you can move them around as you need to. 99% of my plants get full all-day hot swealtering sun. So I would imagine that your porch would be perfect for them.

The only thing is, you will notice with different coleus that they will change color depending on the amount of sun/shade they have. Just experiment with them. But a warning...you will find that you will quickly fall in love with all the color they provide.
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

April 10, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3376495

Chris,
thanks for the eye candy. Makes me start dreaming of going to Ohio again...

Concerning photo
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3372425

Question: there's a beautiful coleus to the right in the background, on top of the pot. It's reddish and yellowish with big leaves. Which one is it?

Is it a Perilla is in the foreground? Which one?
Alice
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3376740

Alice,

The coleus is Tiger Lily. We have two very nice gentlemen who come every year from a big Japanese firm to purchase coleus for the Japanese market. Tiger Liliy is a very popular one in Japan. It is called Tiga Reeree.
The perilla is Magilla.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2007
9:37 AM

Post #3382506

Yes, I found you Alice and a pretty thing you are too!

Chris, as usual you have outdone yourself again. Loved it.
waddink
Almere
Netherlands

April 12, 2007
10:08 AM

Post #3382609

Alice,
could you bring that catalog with you to Copenhagen? I am getting curious...

Wouter
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

April 12, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3383664

Hap:
Thank you, you're so nice, ... now my cheeks are burning with the same red color as Shocking Pink.
Therefore, as the celebrity I now am, I'll give you another photo. It shows Chris Baker and I (May 2006).
Being in coleus heaven, my face expression is sheer happiness!!! I was walking in a joyous coma the whole day...could hardly speak...totally overwhelmed. LOL

Wouter:
Sorry, it's not so exciting as it sounds ... but in this catalogue is a nice photo of husband and I at Baker's Acres, taken at the same occation as posted pic.

But if you still want to see the catalogue (it's very nice!), I'll bring it to our meeting so you can see for yourself.
Alice

Thumbnail by alice_sunn

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #3383749

Ahhh what a beaming happy plant person! Just got my catalog today and enjoyed the pictures, glad you added this larger one.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7907469

bump

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

June 22, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7910577

I don't know how I missed this thread! I shop at Baker's Acres fairly (okay, embarassingly) often. I'll ship for you folks who need it, I've done it before.

Chris, I'm the Episcia lady :)
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7970714

Celene,
What does he have on sale right now?
I was there for plants 2 years ago and need a Baker's Fix.
Sidney

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7970884

EXCUSE ME...SUGARWEED?????

ARE YOU REALLY HERE?

Hap
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

July 15, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7971047

I'm here also :))

let's dance
Alice
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7971197

He,he,he, it's me, it's me!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 15, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7971442

Sugarweed, almost everything is on sale now.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7971741

I'll make a list and see what you can do.
I have mailed over 400 of his babies to friends myself.
Always from a Motel room.
He usually has grown-out plants about now.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7972925

We was just there last week, picked up a couple that we didn't have, we love going to Baker's.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7974922

Actually I recon the 300 I have already will do.
I'll come out next year and maybe we can visit Chris' together.
Thanks,
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
1200 Step coleus addiction Program sugarweed 180 Mar 11, 2008 1:11 PM
how to take coleus cuttings tigerlily123 257 Oct 2, 2012 9:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America