Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: genista acanthoclada / a definite "maybe"

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 2, 2001
11:17 PM

Post #7660

this shrub fills huge areas in Crete. It is very thorny, impermeable by any animal - and very hard to prune, as I find. It is full of lovely yellow flowers in April. Do you agree with this ID?? Yes, No, Maybe??

I can get seeds this month if anyone wants to give it a try.

Dimitri

Thumbnail by dpmichael
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2001
1:28 PM

Post #89762

Wow, I think it is beautiful! Too bad my son (3 years old) has a bit of a problem with falling a lot still. (the roses tear him up enough) LOL
Julie
marshseed
Santa Barbara, CA

July 3, 2001
6:47 PM

Post #89914

Dimitri,

Your photo is amazingly like the plate #60 of Flowers of the Mediterranean (by Oleg Polunin and Anthony Huxley.) So your identification is correct but you should first discover if this particular Broom is listed as an undesireable alien in the US and other countries. In California we already have weed problems with Cytisus spp., especially C. scoparius, Scottish Broom. We are also plagued along the shoreline with Gorse, Ulex europaeus, which is so thorny as to be impenetrable by man or animal -- but lovely yellow pea flowers like in your photo.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2001
6:50 PM

Post #89916

Did you know that these types of plants (spiney ones) are more effective home protection than bars on the windows...and look better too!
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2001
8:33 PM

Post #89951

As a matter of fact, it could be ulex as well...
It is really impenetrable, and very difficult to "train"
As for the USA, my intension is without target to a specific country - I know most people in DG are in the USA but not necessarily all, that's why I put the proposition for seeds so mildly..
Finally, several plants have been declared or are known as several things in several places, but still the seed trade continues, (like datura and ipomoea) so here I am.
Best wishes to you all.
If interested in more pictures of the same plant, just say it, I have taken several because the particular yellow is very bright.
Dimitri
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2001
5:14 AM

Post #90128

Dimitri, is it a clear yellow or a bit muddy? The flower form does remind me of the Brooms here but they are not thorny. It sounds like it might be perfect along the far back fenceline to keep the cattle from pushing on the fence!
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 4, 2001
4:54 PM

Post #90273

It will keep anything away from the fence. It is not the Brooms (I think you mean spartium - check in google). As marshseed mentioned, I am not aware of restrictions for plants in the USA, so if you check it you will make us both happier. I will work on a few other images I have tonight, and post them in plantID forum.
The yellow is light, uniform and very bright.

Dimitri

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America