Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Can you tell me what these are?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2005
2:05 AM

Post #1661250

I have 7 cedar type shrubs in front of our house and two of them were loaded with these. I thought they were 'cones' but are actually cocoons with a blackish worm inside each one. It looked like the shrubs were dying but actually the foliage was being stripped by these critters. It appears that they somehow attach some of the foliage to the outside of their cocoon to make them look like a cedar cone.

I hand-picked about a hundred per tree and destroyed them, hope this solves the problem..??

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2005
2:11 AM

Post #1661268

Bagworms.
breeze03
Ashland, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2005
2:54 AM

Post #1661382

Sorry..don't know anything about that but that has definately got to be one of the grossest things I have ever seen. I hope that picking them off helps. I think I would put them in a bucket of turpentine or something too. Wonder how they multiply? Your problem may not be over.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1661395

How nasty and ugly are these! Yeccchhh!! Here's a website which will give you a lot of info for your area:

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/trees/ef440.htm
Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2005
3:46 AM

Post #1661547

Thanks everyone! That's what they are! Great website pekasky, exactly describes these critters and preventative measures.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America