Hey all, I have this 3 ft piece of pvc pipe that's about 12" in diameter, wondering if I can use it as a reusable form for a pillar with a piece of cardboard tubing in the middle to make the pillar hollow and keep it from being so heavy...any how-to suggestions? Scooterbug? whaddayathink?
I have used pvc pipe that my husband gets, I just cut it in half and hinge it and when the tufa is ready I just unhinge it and whala you have it. To keep the thing together I just use duct tape to secure it so it wont open up. I also put a piece of wood at one end and secure it with screws. Then take it all apart when it is ready.
Scooterbug, I can get cardboard tubes from my job that are 1/2" thick, doubtful they would collapse on me. Though they are only about 4" in diameter so the pillar would still be pretty heavy. Maybe sonotube for the middle, in a larger diameter.
Cindy, great idea about cutting the pvc in half, that's the part that was worrying me, the getting it out thing. I prefer homemade/recycled if possible to keep the costs down..plus that's half the fun, to see what you can come up with that works well. How DID you cut it in half, tablesaw?
My husband has a saw that cuts concrete, brick etc. But I am sure that a circular saw will do the same thing just make sure that you have a good blade that has carbide teeth. Take a black magic marker and measure the length you want the tube to be, mark all the way around the pipe so you get a straight cut, then just do the same thing when you cut it in half. Just be careful and have fun.
When I make my molds, I mostly use duct tape to put them back together then fill them, if I don't use hinges.
Here's how I made a solid concrete column 48 inches tall by 24 inches around for the wifes front flower bed. I did not know about hypertufa then so it weighed about 300 pounds but it came out real nice and it darn sure won't blow over in a wind !!!
I used a 24 inch round Sona tube as a support and container for the inner mold. The inner mold was two pieces of corragated barn tin so the column would be fluted. These were cut to 48 inch lengths and folded nicely to fit inside the cardboard tube. I dug a two foot deep hole outside the shop, placed the tube in that with the tin inside the tube. I dropped sand in the bottom, about 6 inches of so thick and slooped it so the column would look like it was broken in half. I used a standard sand/cement bagged mix, two bags if memory serves. I made a six inch round wire mesh tube to go in the middle for strength. I poured in the mix and let it run down the side of the mold to the deepest part of the bottom until the bottom was full and then just filled it on up. When the mix had covered the wire mesh reinforcement I used a palm sander without the sand paper to vibrate the outside of the tube for about five minutes to get any bubbles out and let it set for a week. Slipped off the cardboard tube, the tin inner mold halfs fell away and there it was, upside down. A buddy and I turned it right side up and darned if it didn't look like a four foot tall flutted column that had been broken in half. Wife loved it and it is a center piece in a front flower bed surrounded by some pots from Garden Ridge. Looks like a real relic. I am going to make some more of these now that I know about hypertufa !!
My wife loves ornamental sweet potatoe vine, a beautiful close cousin to Kudzu !!! The column sits in the middle of this heap of yellowish green vine and after the frost kills that there is a low voltage light that shines up the column at night. See my post on salvaged cemetary stone. Des