-
AuthorContent
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2001
1:35 PM

Post #7687

I was offered a rooted cutting of B. Arborea as a trade for crinum lilys on another garden web site...
the trader stated that it was not very available in the us.
does anyone have any info on it? any help would be appreciated. thanks jen
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 4, 2001
1:49 PM

Post #90203

B.arborea is extremely velvety, the most cold hardy, very fragrant, round seed pods, dies back in the hot florida weather down in Vero and it is available from nursery's in the USA. Only 1 nursery in the USA has the real arborea that I have personally seen. A total of 2 nursery's have it though. B.arborea is hybridizable with B.sanguinea to produce flava hybrides. B.arborea is best grown anywhere north of Zone 9, but it can grow in zone 9 if one does not mind it dieing back in the summer. B.arborea prefers higher elevations as well as it is the highest elevation species...any help?---If you think B.candia species double is velvety, then B.arborea was where the velvet was purchased. B.arborea also has round seed pods and a very small flower similar to the aurea. B.aurea is often sold incorrectly as B.arborea. If I remember correctly, B.arborea is being sold for somewhere between 9-30 dollars. Personally, unless its a really nice hybrid, I would just get the seed and grow it from seed. What hybrid is it?
Brugmansia

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 4th 9:54 AM
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2001
5:27 PM

Post #90293

Brugmansia, he lost me actually.
he said the LeBonJardinier said they felt sure it was B.arborea posssibly crossed with B. aurea. although i dont see how "sure" and "possible" can be used in the same identifying sentence, lol.
his quote
The B. arborea x aurea is from seed I collected in Bolivia. The flowers are much smaller than the others, suggesting that it is a much less selected or hybridized cultivar. In fact, it may be a true variety, capable of surviving without our protective hands. Flowers come in the Fall.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 4, 2001
6:29 PM

Post #90317

Jen,
Sounds like malarky to me personally. I saw a very nice petite knightii x white aurea hybride by a hybridizer last year. Guess it must be B.arborea x aurea in reality as it is smaller than a typical aurea flower. What does this flower breed true when crossed to would be my next question as Brugmansia are next to impossible to get to self seed.
Brugmansia
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2001
6:58 PM

Post #90325

Brugmansia, may i e-mail you a photo that he sent? he emailed it to me to give me an idea to what i was trading for. i dont want to send an unsolicited email to you tho. ill wait for your reply. thanks jen
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 4, 2001
11:20 PM

Post #90401

Jen, please post the pic on the photo forum!!!!
arlene
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 5, 2001
12:41 PM

Post #90562

Msjen,
You must be aware of this, aurea hybrids are my favorite, so if it was me I would trade for it as I would gladly trade just about anytime of year any of the versicolors I have for a good aurea hybrid. If it was an arborea hybrid, I would still trade just to have one. So, for me it would be a win win situation. Of course I would not mind seeing a picture of the arborea or aurea hybrid or whatever it appears to be. I love seedlings. Of course the best seedling is one you create yourself. Actually, it may not be the best, but it sure gives you some pride to think-hey, I hybridized that and thats my seedling. Only person that has that hybrid is me. Ahh, and I do ramble...Please do post or send a picture although I can't unzip pictures so if it has to be sent in that format then don't bother. Just post it in the forums.
Thanks,
Brugmansia
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 5, 2001
2:00 PM

Post #90581

Jen,
http://www.nativehabitat.com/Brugmansiaarborea.asp
or http://www.nativehabitat.com for the most hardy true arborea I have seen. They are selling the arborea and it is the true arborea. Not only that, but it has made it in vero so it is one of the hardier types of arborea as most arborea can not stand the hot summers in lower florida as it is the highest elevation species. This particular cultivar that nativehabitat offers is extremely fragrant and will die back some in lower florida in the summer months. Hope this helps you Msjen. I am going to eventually get my arborea from nativehabitat myself as they have consistently sent out large healthy Brugmansia to me. Ps, for those ordering from them for the first time, ask for their catalogue as it has a brugmansia identification chart in the back. Or, if one would prefer, this nursery also sells the Engelstrompeten book.
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America