Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: My babies

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 9, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2001
1:42 PM

Post #7689

I was introduced to brugs 3 years ago...the ones that ive acquired so far are
charles grimaldi
cypress gardens
mohan yellow (new to me, cant find info)
versicolor pink
single white (?)
double white (?)
one from the university of conn (unnamed)
sunray (supposed to be, but i dont think it is)
a yellow
a varigated one (thanks to martha stewart and kmart, flower unknow)
i think the one i HAVE TO HAVE is herrenhauser? and of course all the other ones too.
i usually get them rooted inside, and then plop them in the ground. they tops dont overwinter here, but they come back from the root.
bye for now
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2001
12:54 AM

Post #90032

Removed by member request
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2001
2:20 AM

Post #90058

can't believe you found a variegated at kmart!!!! lucky:)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 4, 2001
1:44 PM

Post #90200

MsJen, Nice to see you in here.
I have lets see---2 Herenhauser double orange, 2 Culebra aurea , Roseabell and Butterfly aurea setting buds out as we speak...Ecuador pink versicolor, Peach versicolor, Alba veriscolor, Cypress Gardens Versicolor, and this other versicolor sold to me as an aurea yellow. Boy was I mad when I saw the blooms unfold this week.---A few others as well. My favorites from last falls seedlings of mine--Dr.Sues x Solid Gold and Dr.Sues X Ecuador pink. In after thought I should have made the Dr.Sues x Peach versicolor as I like the smaller flowers better. Dr.Sues x Solid Gold is orange, wider, and opens up closer to the calyx forming a split in the calyx typical of some candida crosses. Dr.Sues x Ecuador pink is a fast grower and the flower resembles a candida version of the peaches versicolor.
I personally prefer the aurea hybdrides the best, unfortunately most aurea hybrides look like a versicolor to me except the calyx is undeniably aurea looking. Ahh, and do I continue to ramble. I do have a few seedpods on my seedlings, Jamaican suaveolens, etc, but I think this year I am going to only plant my aurea crosses. Thinking of perhaps crossing Roseabelle to Butterfly and planting each and everyone of those seeds in hopes of getting a smaller pink aurea hybrid out of that batch.
Good to be here,
and Good to see you Jen,
Brugmansia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2001
4:56 PM

Post #90274

Brugmansia, I'm wondering how big your yard is!! I'm sure you must have a greenhouse, too?? But I just sit in wonder at what all those brugs must look like together.
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2001
6:14 PM

Post #90309

omg, how could i have forgotten ecqudor pink????
brugmansia, were you offering cuttings fo herenhauser? lol
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 4, 2001
6:35 PM

Post #90321

Msjen, as soon as I get a few seedpods off of my newer hybrides I will most certainly be offering them out. Herrenhauser is a bit slower in its growth, but I do have several branches coming out of my double orange so who knows. Culebra is slower yet, but even my Culebra have several branches, still no flowers though on those. I would like to get a few seedpods off of each of thes hybrids first though before trading them off.
Brugmansia
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2001
7:01 PM

Post #90328

i understand. i just spent the last hour potting up a gazillion stems of versicolor pink. about a month ago t.s. allison came through and destroyed my mother plant..so in the middle of the storm i stuck them in a 5 gallon bucket..i completely forgot about them (how could i) until my husband questioned me about this stench in the back yard. lo and behold..a murkey, slimey bucket of brugs, tons of roots and bunches of new leaves. im sure ill be offering those this fall, although im sure everyone must have them.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 4, 2001
11:19 PM

Post #90400

Jen, did you read where brugmansia said you could run over a mature brug with a lawnmower, cover with a little soil and get 100s of babies? your V. pinks you forgot reminds me of this. and i think a lot of us don't have versicolor pink, at least i don't i think (still have a couple of unknowns). are you going to post pics? love brugs pics
arlene
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 5, 2001
12:47 PM

Post #90563

Msjen,
Believe it or not, I don't think some of the ones you and I take for granted are had here by all of our Brugmansia friends. I know I haven't taken any cuttings of my Ecuador pink to send out yet to members here and if you have some already rooted it would be nice to seen a few out or post some pictures of some in bloom as I don't think our photo section has any good versicolor pictures. Can't wait untill my Roseabell and Butterfly aurea bloom. Just 3 buds on 2 plants right now, but you can be sure that those 3 flowers will have their pollen put on every flower in my yard and my neighbors yard as well as I have supplied a few neighbors with Brugmansia as well.
Please post some Pictures Msjen,
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America