AuthorContent
MyHoyas
Trelleborg
Sweden

August 7, 2005
6:12 PM

Post #1677243

Hi!

We're just now "enjoying" a real heat-thunderstorm and the sunlight is really weird. My purpureo-fusca just started to opened some flowers before the storm and I thought I would take some photos of it since the lighting would be perfect (or so I thought). Then the storm hit and kept on taking photos... Well, here's the results and I want to share them to show how different the flowers can look just from different light.

In this photo they are almost red, but in the second one (taken just before the storm) they look more "normal". Anyhow, enjoy the photos!

Christina

This message was edited Aug 8, 2005 3:02 PM

Thumbnail by MyHoyas
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MyHoyas
Trelleborg
Sweden

August 7, 2005
6:13 PM

Post #1677244

Second one.

Thumbnail by MyHoyas

sandy130
Abbotsford, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2005
6:45 PM

Post #1677321

Christina,

beautiful flowers...another one to add to the "want" list...lovely photos!

Sandy
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 7, 2005
6:55 PM

Post #1677343

Beautiful!!
horsewoman
Aberdeen, NC

August 7, 2005
7:57 PM

Post #1677431

What a beautiful flower!! I like the coloring on both photos.
Is it fragrant?
hbabcock
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2005
8:14 PM

Post #1677462

Pretty!!
MyHoyas
Trelleborg
Sweden

August 7, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1677487

Personally I like the "red" photo better, but that's not the way the flowers look... Fragrant...? Not really, but if you stick your nose in them there is a sweet a little unpleasant smell. For those who want this, it's a real "sticky" one. It produces so much nectar that I can put a paper towel under neath the flowers several times a day. If the flowers weren't as pretty, then...

Here's a sticky one from last time it flowered... just a few weeks ago!

Good night from Sweden!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2005 4:23 PM

Thumbnail by MyHoyas

horsewoman
Aberdeen, NC

August 7, 2005
8:28 PM

Post #1677496

What an incredible picture!! I love it. I does have dripping sticky nectar. I bet butterflies and bees would love it.
Thank you for sharing that picture!!!
Karen
hoyanut
Las Vegas, NV

August 8, 2005
3:51 AM

Post #1678292

Christina, You do have the best pictures! Is there any hoya you have that doesn't bloom? It seems like all your hoyas bloom? What's your magic touch? Deb
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2005
3:53 AM

Post #1678296

Beautiful, Christina!
:) Donna
hbabcock
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1679087

Christina, I am so glad you joined, I love waking up and see the beautiful pictures you are posting!! Makes my day!
Heather
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2005
6:09 PM

Post #1679410

Wow! I'd be tempted to put a bucket under it!! The blooms are really beautiful. Another for my must-have list, and fortunately I know where to get one... and a bucket...
Chistine
MyHoyas
Trelleborg
Sweden

August 8, 2005
7:19 PM

Post #1679524

Well, let's see... samoensis, two of my verticillata, greenii, nummularoides, naumanii, cv. Jennifer, sp. Thai 3, clemensiorum, glabra, cv. Joy, cv. Noelle, cv. Sunrise, sigillatis, arnottiana, bordenii, siariae, cardiophylla, neo-ebudica, macgillivrayii, archboldiana, chlorantha, globulosa, montana, dimorpha, sussuela, coronaria, sp biakensis, erythrostemma, mindorensis, australis 'Lisa'... quite a few (about one third actually) of my hoyas that hasn't bloomed - yet! Some are only cuttings and some actually do have peduncles...

My magic touch? I ignore them! Sometimes forget to water them - like I ought to tonight but don't feel like it... I almost never give them fertilizer, I try to repot them every spring and try to use the same pot which could be some of that magic since they seem to like not having too big pots. I let them have the sunshine during the days (I hate having the blinds down) and if they turn yellow on one side I just turn the plant and mostly it "greens" back on the yellow side by fall. To sum it up; I guess I'm not too nice to them sometimes. However, I don't beat them like suggested in another thread...

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I do enjoy taking them!

Christina
sandy130
Abbotsford, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2005
7:58 PM

Post #1679589

Hi Christina,

what is your secret to keeping the variegated bella happy?...looking at it in your other frog planter pic, its cute and blooming as pretty as can be...mine is loving the humidity in my Home Depot-like plastic greenhouse outside but of course when i have to bring it inside in september or so, its a different story...I assume yours is indoors all year long?...thats my only "Whats your Magic Touch question" lol...your site is great and OT, how is your new kitty making out?

Sandy

This message was edited Aug 8, 2005 12:59 PM
MyHoyas
Trelleborg
Sweden

August 8, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1679606

Hi Sandy (and the rest of the bunch),

I'm going to be honest when I write this. This bella is actually one of my non-favourite hoyas. About every second year it seems to just die. I take new cuttings and stick them in new soil. For each time the pot gets fuller, so there is something good with it. The frog photo was taken about a month after this years renewal, so that's probably why it looks good. I've spoken to others that also have this hoya and they (mostly) have the same experience.

My "policy" is to just have hoyas that don't need special treatments like being grown in an aquarium or similar and stuff like that. If the hoya can't take my way of growing it - I either end up selling it or throw it out. I just don't have the time to fuzz with them!

My new kitten is doing great. Today was the first day he and the dog was left alone and the house was still standing when I got home for lunch! He loves helping out on the computer, but tends to fall asleep on the keyboard. He sure was a worthy replacement of my old beloved cat. Thanks for asking!

Christina
sandy130
Abbotsford, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2005
8:30 PM

Post #1679643

Thanks for answering regarding the var. bella...i have no problems with the green one, but the variegated does good for awhile then goes yucky or gets spider mites...obviously, humidity is an issue...i like the look of it but tends to be a picky one like you say...i do agree with you that growing the "easier" ones is more satisfying especially with less than idea conditions such as in a house in the middle of winter without being in a greenhouse...thats when the var. bella gets ultra frustrating...anyway, it almost seen Mr. garbage about month or so ago but I potted it down and is doing fine for the moment...lol

glad to hear your new kitty is doing good...if he can co-exist with the dog, then you have it made!...sounds like a match made in heaven!...keep up the great pics and site...

Sandy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America