Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Red-Leaf Hibiscus, False Roselle, African Rose Mallow 'Red Shield' (Hibiscus ace

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dacooolest
Brandon, MB
(Zone 2b)

August 10, 2005
3:09 AM

Post #1682495

Red-Leaf Hibiscus, False Roselle, African Rose Mallow 'Red Shield'
Hibiscus acetosella

Very nice leaves

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/63750/

Thumbnail by Dacooolest
Click the image for an enlarged view.

annetta51
Bradenton, FL

November 30, 2006
3:14 PM

Post #2955977

I purchased some plants from an open type market . This plant was growing on Anna Maria Island, in FL. There were two very tall, scraggly plants in a pot. I tried to grow them in the pot but they seemed to need more room so I put them in full sun in the ground. I was very surprised to see they grew so tall and fast. They dropped seeds and regrew in several other potted plants, but not very well. They seem to prefer the ground and not a pot. The blooms are smallish but very pretty. I have been using them to shade my deck and windows since they grow taller than my roof. After the seed pods form and dry, the plants are easily pulled out when they start to look bad. Since they grow so tall I have had to tie them up to keep them from drooping on the ground.
I wanted to use the blooms as tea but was afraid to try it until I see here that they are useable for tea.
annetta51@hotmail.com
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #4625429

Coolest -

Your plant should really be posted on this link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2112/

It is a red-leaf hibiscus, but not RED SHIELD. Red Sheild has more divided and jagged leaves than this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annetta:
The kind you want for making tea is the Roselle, Jamaican Sorrel or Florida Cranberry hibiscus. You use the calyxes for tea (not the leaves that I know of):
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2113/

Thanks,
Onalee

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America