sweet potato vines

Hudson, WI

I have several sweet potato vines that I would like to save for the next growing season. Can these be over wintered and if so, how? I live in zone 4, so leaving the vines outside or in the garage is not an option. Thanks!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry can't help you but did notice you are having a birthday and new subscriber. Happy Day and WELCOME!!!!!
Edited to add boy am I a dingbat. No birthday but have a happy day anyway and welcome welcome welcome. Some of us are pretty dingy.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2005 1:25 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

IIslee, Welcome to DG! The sweet taters root really easily in water to make more. If you get lucky, you can actually sprout a tater under the dirt and bring it in. Honestly, I have tried overwintering the plants inside a few times and they are SERIOUS bug magnets!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

WElcome, Islee, the poor thing is about worn out come winter. It is after all basically an annual. But rooting cuttings should be fun. maybe you have a greenhouse? to keep the buggies confined?? ~Blooms

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

The thing I hate about the sweetpotato vine is it is an anual. It is so pretty. I have the black one and I may try to keep it this winter and put some garlic cloves in the pot for the bugs.

Hudson, WI

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the warning about bugs! I think I will just dig up the tubers and trying storing those in the basement and see what they look like next spring.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

tried storing the tubers - rotted!! I take a bunch of cuttings and root them in water, then plant. Then I take cuttings off the cuttings. Start with a couple and you will have a dozen by spring

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I also take cuttings and they do great. They root easily and I even have some inside by a sunny window and it's been healthy all summer.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm glad someone asked this because I was wondering too. I have Blackie, the pink varigated one, a heart shaped leaf black one and the lime green one if anyone needs cuttings from any of these. I do have the names of all them, but would have to check the labels to let you know. Anyone have others?

Susan

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Last yr I saved my tubers/ When OI tried to root them they rotted on me but I missed getting rid of i pot it sat in the green house and abt the middle of the summer it started growing. watered and sat on porch it just now is starting to get nice. Go figure. Dont think I will bother this winter. Just get a plsnt early in spring and take cuttings. dixie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/544615/

I have blackie, margarita and another onth that is maroon with a golden tint.

Dint know it came in apink variagated.. do you have a photo or cuttings?!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My golden maroon sweet potato vine cuttings has appeared to have bite the dust....but on checking the roots..hmmm... I poked them back into the pot and am still keeping my fingers crossed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images