Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: My H2O bound Hoya

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
old_rose
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2001
10:28 PM

Post #7721

this actually started in another forum because I want to know if anyone can help me make this grow.
I hesitate to put it in soil as the friends plant I recieved it from 17years ago was grown only in water. but it has stayed the same size or close to it for all these 17years.
Also I do not know what kind it is so if you can help with either question I would appreciate all the help I can get. Note the pop can is there for sizing. This is it's bad side but I wanted you to see the roots. I moved it to this bigger jar about 2 years ago thinking maybe that was the problem.

Thumbnail by old_rose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2001
3:39 AM

Post #90100

I would experiment with part of it and plant it in soil and fertilize it, etc. 17 years is an awfully long time to not have any growth.
eltel
Macclesfield, CHESHIRE
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2001
7:29 AM

Post #90154

It looks like hoya carnosa and you're right GL it shouldnt be left in water. My reference book says "grow in a coarse, open medium that is free draining !!

I would certainly get it into soil, which should help it put on some growth - mine make about a couple of feet each year and have to wound round supporting wires to keep it in check. If you are nervous about losing it, take some cutting - they are easy. Simply cut off some of the long stems (semi ripe) and put them in a closed propagator with gentle bottom heat. Dont let them be exposed to direct sunlight (they wilt pretty easy). Good luck

El Tel

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America