SOLVED: unknown bulb

(Zone 5a)

This flower is a small bulb plant, about 8 inches tall, and has 1 1/2 inch blooms. It has grass like foliage and a light scent. In zone 5, it blooms in early May.

Thumbnail by Gabrielle

Ornithogallum umbellatum - Star of Bethlehem

(Zone 5a)

Thank you. I thought it looked like some I had seen on HGTV, but when I looked it up on the net, it looked different. They were just different varieties listed than what it was.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

My blooms are white with a speck in it and I can't remember what color the speck is. Want to trade a bulb or two? The description and the flower match other than the color.Jim

(Zone 5a)

Sure! Assuming I can find them, as the foliage has died back. I think I can though. I'll e-mail you my address.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I think I can find mine or hopefully anyway. They sure are pretty and I don't have but two clumps. I dug the clumps up and moved the whole clump so i'm not sure how many bulbs I have.I will get to digging. Jim

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Other common names are: Eleven o'clock lady, nap at noon and would you beleive should I say "uncommon" name for this one is Doves Dung - according to my "Passalong Plants" book by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing. This one is an easy and fun read.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I try and gather all the names for plants I can.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll have to remember that dove dung one. Any body ask for some bulb's that I don't like I'll use it on them. Maybe embellish the story a little. Thanks for posting.Makes gardening even more fun with this knowledge.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I have extra Star of Bethlehem for postage if some is needed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.