Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: another unknown bush

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 227
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gabrielle

(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2001
3:48 AM

Post #7751

I have always wondered what this bush is. It blooms in early May, zone 5. The blooms are 1 1/4 inches and lightly scented. The bush has been trimmed back in the past, but right now it is about 8 feet tall. It is loaded with clusters of these flowers and it almost looks like snow after they fall.

Thumbnail by Gabrielle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2001
6:42 AM

Post #90143

Philadellphus it sounds like!
Gabrielle

(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2001
3:49 PM

Post #90247

Looking that up, I do think that it is some variety. Do you know which one(s) would grow more upright? The ones I saw were more fountain shape than mine.
marshseed
Santa Barbara, CA

July 4, 2001
4:50 PM

Post #90271

I'd say a painting by Monet or perhaps Degas but not likely to be a Philadelphus that I know which is pure white flowers, at least 2 inches across and deeply scented. There are however hybrids and even a dwarf variety. One species, P. coulteri (the Rose Syringa) has petals stained purplish red. But the Common Mock Orange, P. coronarius, is a very fragrant white-flowered, fountain-shaped shrub.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2001
9:59 PM

Post #90380

Its a mock orange (philadelphus). Not all mock oranges are as fragrant as others, in fact there is a species that is not fragrant at all.
Gabrielle

(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2001
3:54 PM

Post #91530

Do mock oranges necessarily make "oranges?" I have heard that they do, but this one never has.

Gabrielle
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2001
5:47 PM

Post #91584

No, there aren't any oranges. They are called Mock Oranges because the scent of the bloom is supposed to resemble orange blossoms, but that's where the similarity ends. They are not related to oranges and no fruit is produced.
Gabrielle

(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2001
8:12 PM

Post #91631

That's what I thought, but was told they made an unedible "orange," so wanted to be sure. Thanks, Gabrielle
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2001
2:58 AM

Post #91770

I have a feeling that the plant you heard about being described as having inedible oranges was Poncirus trifoliata, a.k.a. Trifoliate Orange or Bitter Orange, although I suppose Mock Orange would be an acceptable name as well. This indeed is a citrus relative and does produce small "oranges" that are inedible although some claim they can be made into a marmalade. The fruit itself turns yellow when ripe and is covered with a sticky fuzz and have the distinctive odor of citrus. The interesting thing about this citrus relative is that it is hardy through zone 6 and possible protected areas of zone 5. Here is a link for some good pictures of the fruit. http://www.saalfelds.freeserve.co.uk/poncirus.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America