(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

This is a picture of my arbor that we made by using a cattle panel. I have MG's planted on the sides.

Linda

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

That's very nice

Thank you Jazz

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

VERY nice! I need to look into cattle panels when I move.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

You are welcome but I am thinking I should thank YOU! I have been wanting to have a long trellis tunnel and I think I just discovered how to do it economically! :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Super creative support structure for those lovely Morning Glories. Great idea!
don

Pembroke, ON(Zone 4a)

Ohhhhhh that is so pretty with all those morning glories! Great job! I envy you because I have been wanting an arbor for ages! I might just have to copy that! lol

Marly

I could be totally wrong but I think I read a forum where Scooterbug was talking about the use of cattle panels. Then it could have been someone else. I know I can't take the credit for thinking of it. I got it from Dave's Garden.

It is a very cheap way to have an Arbor.

Linda

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

That is a great idea! I have some left over and would have never thought of using them for that..til now! LOL

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Linda,
How did you secure them in the ground ? Most people use fence posts but I didn't see any in yours..... I want to build another gazebo and add the tunnel to it but I hadn't figured out a good way to secure it .......

I love cattle panels..... difficult to cut but great for growing vines ......

Thumbnail by vs71099
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Ok now THAT is awesome!! WOW... WOOOOOWWWW.. Do you have more pictures??? I didn't realize that cattle panel was that rigid.. Is it the same as the cattle fence or something different? Very cool

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Vicki, ya gotta get a bolt cutter to cut this wire ;-D

Cuts like a hot knife thru butter .

Where did you get plans for that ?

This was my cattle panel trellis last year with air potato vines.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2005 11:55 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

cattle panels.......not just for cattle anymore
our rose wall we built this past winter,with a small
arbor in the middle...seems to me great minds think alike

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Scooter.. love the trellis and the peek at your garden.. nice brugs :) and Geaorgia! That is very nice also.. your yard so so neat and pristine! Wow

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Jazzpunkin - yes the arbor is made from the 16ft by 8 ft cattle panels..... They are hard to cut but I use a "RotoZip" and lots of pads ......... It takes 4 panels with the extra used on the roof...... I've built ones like the picture and some that are just columns to walk through and alot I've done like georgiagarden3 as trellis type arbors. They are great to put C9 Christmas tree lights on ........ They hold up to any type of vine...... I want to do some arches like Linda's, Scooters and georgiagarden3.... I just have not figured out a good way to secure them

georgiagarden3 - What did you use to secure your panel (the one that is bent on the top of the arbor)......

Sorry Jazz editted to say 16ft X 4 ....... I cut the 16ft in half to make them 8ft tall...... sometimes my fingers go faster than the brain.....

This message was edited Aug 24, 2005 9:37 AM

Thumbnail by vs71099
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have been looking online and I don't see any panels that are 16 by 8 foot... the largest I have seen are 16 by 5..am I looking in the wrong place?

Edited to ask if you guys know what gauge the panels you used are?

This message was edited Aug 24, 2005 8:39 AM

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

vs71099,all we used where farm staples
stapled it to the frame the panels are sturdy enough
that when bent they will hold the shape.

jazzpunkin,Thank you but the neatness is not me, my
hubby and (now )oldest son are lawn freaks
I must be the only person in the world who gets
the lawn mowed twice a week.now if I could only
get them to weed as often.......:)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

weeding husbands... now wouldn't that be nice?

We had our cattle panel some we had gotten when we had
Emus. We got them at the Coop. When we put it up my husband didn't want to cut off the small holed side, so we left it on. Once the MG's started on them you couldn't tell anyway. He had some stakes that he hammered in the ground to hold it in place. Then we took some timbers and cut them to the size we wanted and filled with dirt. I like the MG's growing on it, but for next year I would like to have a vine that has flowers all day long.

The cattle panels are very sturdy once the stakes are put in place.

vs71099 I really like the one you made.

You can see where I got my ideal from scooterbugs picture, isn't it neat.

Linda

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Linda Is that just 1 panel? I may be copying ,like that a lot. dixie

Yes just 1 panel. My husband and I did it by ourselves. We started to use 2 had them together, and then set it up, and we both about busted a gut laughing. He said we could put this over the drive way, because it is big enough to drive the car under. So then we used the 1 and was very satified. It does make a cool arbor, with very little expense. I am not sure what the panels cost now, but when we got them a few years back they were like under $15. We used 2 timbers, and they are real expensive either. Now the stakes I don't know where to tell you to get them, we also had them, I think they were steel. We didn't put anything out on this one had everything at hand.

Linda if you have panels with smaller squares along one side , those are combination cattle/hog panels and they are not as tall

Cattle panels are around 4 ft tall but both are the same heavy guage wire and come only in 16 ft lengths.

stakes pounded 6 foot across gives a nice tall arbor. I used rebar to anchor it.

The panels are still 16$ ea. and last forever.

Are we getting any ideas here ? *grin*
http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html
http://www.kountrylife.com/articles/art1.htm
http://www.lioby.com/shed.htm

Pembroke, ON(Zone 4a)

Well, I am downcast right now! I just phoned our local farm supply company and they tell me that ONE panel will cost me $85!!! and will take a couple of weeks before it comes in!!! Being that I am in Canada, and these cattle panels are made by Stelco who is located in the States now, I have to pay the freight on this item. That is where the price hike comes in! Gulp! Hmmmm... may have to rethink this one.

Marly :(

Yes at $85 I know I would think it over real hard. My DH says he thinks they are selling for about $16 now. But I know when we got them about 9 years ago I think they were about half that price. Keep us informed if you come up with something else to use.

Linda

they are still 16$

Marly , I suspect they may have quoted you for a pipe cattle panel which would sound about right.

A pipe one is that the kind you put at a entrance and the cows won't walk over.

You're thinking about cattle guards that the cattle will not cross over.

pipe corral panels are like big pipe gates that are connected together to make enclosures.

http://www.gobobpipe.com/images/bobpeg2-w-name-wo-addy-web.gif

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Yep... you want to make sure they are the panels maybe not call them fences... maybe that confused them.... : - )

Economy Cattle Panel..... is what you want

http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page3/

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

and i love the hens and chicks! not plants, real ones! debi

Thornton, IL

I love this trellis idea, it would be a cool tunnel. Maybe you could try growing hops, supposed to be fast and has flowers, then green cones. I'll be copying this one.

PrairieGirlZ5 what is hops, and do they climb. I like the morning glorys, but I want something that will bloom and stay blooming all day.

Linda

trackinsand, thanks I got them a couple of years ago they need to be repainted. My BIL welded some long nails on the bottom of there feet so I could stake them in the ground and they would stay there, because they kept falling over.

Linda

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I tried hops on mine Linda ....in fact I just spent Saturday ripping it out and digging it up ...... I didn't really like it and it died back midseason so I ended up with a dead vine... LOL ..... but you may have better luck ..... I didn't ever notice any blooms just the green cones PrarieGirl mentioned.

I think I will do some checking into it before next spring.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I love your 2pugdogs! Did you dig your fence down into the little boxes you have at the bottom of each side? I will have to show this to my hubby and I am sure he can come up with something so I can have one of my own :)

Mount Vernon, MO(Zone 6b)

welded wire panels aka cattle panels are so versatile they can be used for all kinds of things. My dh built me a dog yard with pipe and cattle panels. My Standard Poodle wouldn't stay in the yard with a 3' fence but he hasn't jumped the new fence, he could but he doesn't know that.....shhh don't tell him.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I just want to tell you that this thread inspired me. I have always wanted an arbor, but never knew where to put it. Last weekend I sat on our swing for the first time this year and saw that our "natural garden" (for the birds) was overgrown so much, that you could hardly see the water. I started hacking branches, found a path that the dog made chasing squirrels and after 4 or 5 hours, wood chipper making chips, and a trip to the woods for dead cedar, this is what I got.
The pitcher pump is a working pump and the fence around was there, but you could not see the birdbath or wishing well that were in this mess. I wish I would have taken a before picture...but I didn't know I was going to do this!

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Although much different from yours, I was inspired by the simple idea and how you can turn a "nothing" into something wonderful.
Thanks for sharing your idea and inspiring me.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

That's awesome cpartschick - I have an old pump laying behind the shed now I'm inspired to try your idea.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We put in this well when we were just camping up here. I wanted to keep it as the water is so cold and fresh. We have a very rustic setting, so I thought this fit well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images