Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Brugmansias: BRUG CUTTINGS

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 23, Views: 391
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2001
3:30 PM

Post #7788

OH BOY - OH BOY. Thanks to some one that posted that you could root brugs from the leaves. I was out with mine last week and pulled a couple and first stuck them in some peat moss type dirt to see if they would root. In a couple of days I decided I would put it in some water instead and did so. I had a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup and threw some water in it and the leaves went in also. I checked to see if they had rooted and I have a heavy set of roots on each. I am so proud of them. When mine blooms this year I will post photo for id. I had 9 but lost 2 this winter and now I have 9 again. Should these be planted in peat moss type soil? Help Brugmansia. I am headed to the garden to gather more leaves. Where did I put those other coffee cups? Thanks again Jim
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 5, 2001
12:55 PM

Post #90565

Jim,
Now you have taught me something. I have rooted Brugmansia in styrofoam cups in the winter outside, in perlite, in water, in all kinds of soil, peat, etc, but I never tried rooting the leaves. Funny that I never tried that though as I have rooted coffee plants and other plants from the leaves. Just never thought about trying Brugmansia that way. Could you please take some pictures and post them when you get a chance? Do you bury the petiole or half the leaf? Multiple plants from the veins? I have had leaves fall of from cuttings and rot in water, but any new knowledge is good knowledge as they say.
Thanks,
Brugmansia
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2001
6:18 PM

Post #90704

My camera has dead batteries. I will post later. Jim
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2001
7:58 PM

Post #90775

How does this happen? I decided I would rob the T.V. remote controls (4) for some batteries. I need aaa all the controls have aa. The last time I needed aa and all of them had aaa. This is a big mystery to me. How do they know how to change just to make my blood pressure rise. I sure am glad I have my plants to work with to get the B.P. back down.
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2001
1:06 AM

Post #91357

Jim, did you cut off the leaf section or did you pull it off with a heel? Worlds of possibilities open up!!!
Liz
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2001
11:27 AM

Post #91455

I posted a photo yesterday. I was mistaken about it being a leaf cutting . I guess it is a stem cutting. Jim
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
8:58 AM

Post #94622

Batteries, like coat hangers and safety pins, are the larval forms of more complex items, like toaster ovens and cassette tape players. It all depends on their stage in the life cycle whether they're A, AA, AAA, or D.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
1:14 PM

Post #94676

I'll have to start keeping birth records of all my batteries. I didn't know how that worked. Thanks judith for the information. Jim
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 15, 2001
1:31 PM

Post #94683

hmm, just for the record---I some plants are easily rooted from leaf sections without any petiole being present. Of course this is a Brugmansia group so we won't go into that. I hate it when I have a favorite Brugmansia that I have too many cuttings of. Think 18 or so Brugmansia aurea Culebra's in the yard would be too much? Rambling...Brugs
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2001
1:42 PM

Post #94691

yes, I think that is just way too much!!!!! Send all extras my way:)
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
1:47 PM

Post #94693

BRUGMANSIA, I pulled up the side branches from the brugmansia of several of mine wanting to make them a tree form. These branches had roots and I put them in the ground. This was Friday late evening. Of course I watered good and watered again Saturday morning. Later in the day they drooped and I watered again and watered again that night. I went out this morning and they are all standing up erect except for one that is a little drooped. Is there anything that I need to do to assure they will survive. The branches are 10 -14 inches tall. I will be so glad when mine start blooming so I can post photos for you to id for me. Now if you decide that you ever have to many of any you let me know. Your favorite might also me my favorite and I just haven't found out yet. Jim
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2001
1:49 PM

Post #94696

Brugmansia ~ feel free to lighten your work load by sending one up here for adoption!! I'm still waiting for my order from hodnik's. You were right - they seem to be really nice to work with. I found it surprising to get emails from Andre Hodnik. Owner?
Liz
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
1:54 PM

Post #94698

What and where is Hodnik??? Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2001
1:54 PM

Post #94699

you do know that any of us would of course pay our own postage right? Just trying to butter you up, but I do understand that you may not have time. We're just ribbing you, don't let us scare you!!!!
Still would love to see a picture of what has captured your heart!!!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 15, 2001
2:04 PM

Post #94704

RedClay,
Hodnik is where I purchased my second set of Culebra. My first set where from England and were being sold for 250 dollars a piece. Hodnik is in France and sells them for about 10 or 15 us dollars if memory serves me. Wishing I had of ordered from Hodnik a few months later. Hodnik is my favorite place for quick Brugmansia orders and they have some of the best Brugmansia hybrids. All in all this place is my one true favorite place for Brugmansia. Speed of shipment and quality of plants can't be beat. I will say though that even though this company sells hybrid passiflora, datura, and other hybrid weeds it is one of my favorites if not my favorite company. No one company is perfect.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2001
6:44 PM

Post #95240

BRUGMANSIA. In a posting of yours (I think it was you ) you said that you rooted some Brugs in water by cutting a thin layer of the stalk off each day and that it would soon be rooted. I am trying that with two that I got out of the ground the other day. The other ones are standing tall now so I guess they will be algight,if they can withstand this weather we are having. The cutting of the root reminds me of when I worked in a produce department at a grocery store. Our supervisor wanted us to carry asparagus and it just didn't sell. We would order it and start cutting every day a thin slice off of the bottom. We had some short stalks of asparagus but it kept him happy. Jim
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 16, 2001
6:53 PM

Post #95242

Georgiared,
Yes, that sounds like just the lame brain thing I would tell you guys. My apologies. I am such a moron. Cuttings rot primarily because the cut end stays in water too long before it has caloused over.
Surely you must know that I don't advocate that method as it does work, but one does end up using too much of the stalk as fodder that way. One must be especially carefull not to knock the root nodes off as one cuts that way as well. A much prefered root water method of propagation by me is to simply soak perlite in water for 2 hours and then pour the perlite over the cuttings in a clear pastic cup with pin holes in the bottom. If the cutting begins to wilt you can fill it up with water and as it slowly drains through the minute holes in the bottom and sides of the bottom the Brugmansia returns to normal non wilting status. This makes for very well aerated roots as well and hence very fast rooting. If the water takes more than 4 hours to drain completly out of the cup you don't have enough needle holes in the cup. Ahh, and remove all the leaves or most off the leaves before placing the cutting in the cup and pouring the perlite over the cutting.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 16th 2:55 PM
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2001
8:56 PM

Post #95286

BRUGMANSIA- That sounds like something that I can handle. So much for the trimming. Thanks Jim
pansey
vancouver, BC

July 19, 2001
2:20 AM

Post #96366

Hi I was given my first brug last night as a gift, it is about two feet tall and has four buds on it. How old do they have to be to start propagating them? Do you just take a leaf off and use the perlite and water in a plastic cup? New to Daves garden thanks for help.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2001
2:27 AM

Post #96373

no, don't take the leaf. That proved to be wrong, at least until another attempt. :) It might help if you start a new thread about taking cuttings. I wouldn't if mine was that small.
Talk about lucky! I have brugs everywhere, and not a bloom:)
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2001
3:02 AM

Post #96407

Tig, I think it is a little early for blooms here. Mine is about 6'tall now and no buds yet, wait a couple of weeks to panic, I have a picture of mine last year with over 100 blooms on it mid August. I try to keep mine in tree form too, it is 3 years old. It started with one stalk, last year it had two and has sprouted several this year. I have simply dug up some of the babies and rooted them in a jar of water.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 18th 11:03 PM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2001
3:07 AM

Post #96411

6 feet??? Then I don't have a chance:( oh well, maybe next year:) I'm still going to talk to them everyday. I told them all in private that the first one to bloom gets a nice big fancy new pot. We'll see if that works:)
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2001
3:19 AM

Post #96419

tiG: They can bloom at any size. I had a cutting of frosty pink not even two feet tall that had buds on it. Unfortunately I took the top off to give to someone who wanted a cutting now and I noticed the buds after I had cut it off. I've had lots bloom at 2-3 feet.I have waited for 5 years for my unknown white to bloom and I have had plants bloom in the first year. Right now I have suaveolens 'white" starting to bloom, charles grimaldi should be out tomorrow. I overwinter them in the greenhouse and slightly cut them back. I guess that is why they bloom early here.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America