Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hibiscus: Jamaica

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 3, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Servants_heart
Laurens, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2005
3:05 PM

Post #1727431

Anybody know what kind of Hibiscus it is that Mexicans use the flowers of for a drink they call
Jamaica (sounds like Ha mI ka)??

Boiled flower petals with sugar and chilled.

My husband is Mexican and LOVES this stuff--unfortuately the petals cost around $5 a pound!!! I would love to get some seed or a seedling or two of this. I need to get the right kind though!! Not sure if any of the other Hibiscus petals would work--might even be dangerous to try other ones??!! Thanks!!

Bonnie
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2005
9:21 PM

Post #1728103

Roselle hibiscus, I bought these in Mexico for about $2.00 a big bag full.Last for ages in an airtight container.

Hibiscus sabdariffa (annual ) in most places

http://www.rareseeds.com has the seeds ...listed under roselle. Enjoy!

:-)

This message was edited Aug 29, 2005 4:42 PM

This message was edited Aug 29, 2005 4:52 PM
Servants_heart
Laurens, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2005
2:07 PM

Post #1729318

Thanks Eclipse!! They do NOT last for ages at my house!! My husband drinks it like a fish "drinks" water!! hehehe He LOVES it!! I cannot afford those high prices however so I need to trade for seed or something. The seeds are $3 at this place. I think most nurseries that sell seeds overcharge QUITE a bit!! Bonnie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3796582

Did you find these seeds?

Does anyone have the roselle tea recipe to share?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM
I bought sight unseen Kell 28 Sep 17, 2007 11:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America