Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 21, Views: 303
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2005
9:14 PM

Post #1730127

I love hot peppers & always grow a good selection of them. This year, while I'm thoroughly enjoying my Red Cayennes, Yellow Cayennes, & Thai Dragons, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my Hungarian Hot Wax.

The Cayennes are fabulous in just about everything - from meatloaf to vegetable sautes to chili, etc.; & the Thai Dragons are, of course, a necessity for Szechuan stirfries & Indian curries.

But those Hot Wax peppers. They're as big if not bigger than sweet Cubanelles & hot enough to blow the top of my head off. The size & heat make it virtually impossible to use a whole one in a recipe - if I had a recipe I thought would suit them.

For any of you that grow or have grown them - what do you use them for/in?

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2005
1:21 AM

Post #1730576

Breezy - I don't know about Hot Wax specifically, but I hoped to have a lot more peppers this year than I have. The weather has been weird and my garden hasn't grown much at all. Anyway, in prep I bought a little book called 'Too Many Chiles!'. It has recipes and preserving methods, freezing, drying, smoking and pickling. If you can find it, it may give you some ideas. Becky.
kanita
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 31, 2005
2:12 AM

Post #1730673

Hey Breezy, I grow and use the Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers and the Hungarian Black peppers. If one is too much for you to use in a recipe, then you could freeze them easily. They are also good sliced and then pickled (for hot pepper rings). I am also very fond of drying my peppers, even the larger ones like the hungarian yellow.

kanita
Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2005
2:16 PM

Post #1731393

Yes - I was thinking about pickling some of them & freezing the rest.

When you pickle them, do you find any difference in the heat level? Lower or the same?

It's funny because I have some peppers in containers & - smartypants that I am - didn't bother to label them thinking I'd remember which was which. Well, thought I was picking a Cubanelle, & while slicing it to fry up with some onions, popped a raw piece in my mouth & then quickly experienced my life rush in front of my eyes - lol!!! So now, every time I pick a pepper from a plant I haven't harvested from yet, I very briefly touch a very tiny part of the cut surface to my tongue before proceeding with the recipe - lol!!
kanita
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2005
3:00 AM

Post #1732738

ROFL!!!! Breezy, thats so funny. After a while, they do kinda start to look alike. After pickling, they are still just as hot. I like to make bottles of hot sauce and jellies with my peppers as well. They make great christmas gifts.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #4035514

I got an itch to grow Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers after reading an article about them in the SF Chronicle. It came with a recipe.

Unfortunately, I've been ill or injured so much this year that I haven't been able to pick them on time. And they continued on past yellow to red. Man, oh man, are they hot! I'm a native Californian raised with a father who's a hot pepper fiend and I have to say that I was surprised how much punch these peppers packed. Yeow!

Here's the article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/09/HOGSTDJQ331.DTL&hw=hungarian pepper&sn=001&sc=1000

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #4148802

I use the Hungarian Hot Wax and related varieties to make some of my favorite pickled peppers. Pickling seems to have little effect on the heat level, perhaps reducing it just a tad. Be sure to do some experimentation with added spices. My favorite combinations so far are garlic and bay leaf and garlic and basil. Just add what you think sounds good to you. Paul
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2007
7:42 AM

Post #4152828

I like using dill and mustard seeds for pepper pickles, with a bit of salt and sugar added.
I made a batch of chilli jam with my hungarian yellows last year, using kiwifruit, limes and feijoas as well. Was great, except for the long time it took me to finely dice a huge bowl of peppers! My hungarian yellows dont get that hot though. Only habaneros get seriously hot here. Might be my cool damp climate.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #4152943

> I made a batch of chilli jam with my hungarian yellows last year, using kiwifruit, limes and feijoas as well.

That sounds fantastic. Any chance you'd post the recipe?
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4154869

Sure. I made the recipe up as I was going along, then took some notes afterwards. So if anyone tries this they may need to adjust it a little in the process. All measurements are approximate. So this recipe is a work in progress:

1 litre jug full of very finely diced peppers, sees removed.(I put a few habaneros, bell, and cayenne in with the hungarian yellows).
6 peeled and diced kiwifruit. I think I might have used the zespri gold type.
6 feijoas scooped out and chopped up
500g sugar (I used castor)
1- 1/2cups white vinegar
1t salt
Maybe a handful of chopped capers, I forgot if I did or not (thats actually what it says in my recipe notebook, sorry)
Juice of 1-3 limes, to taste. maybe some of the zest as well.

I just combined it all in a pot and simmered for almost an hour, just like you would do with jam. Then into sterilised hot jars. It seemed to be keeping really well, but id eaten all 4 jars before winter had even began properly! Great with cheese and crackers, or on sandwiches.

I didnt think of trying that jam idea untill the end of the season, so only ever got to make the one batch. Will definately be trying that again this summer. It turned out to be my favourite of all the various preserves I made. The diced peppers held their shape quite well, which gave the jam an interesting look and texture, especially with the yellows, reds (from habanero and cayenne) and greens (bell) all mixed up in tiny little cubes. Wonder how it would turn out if done in a food processor... posibly not quite as pretty

If anyone tries this, would be interesting to hear how it goes!
Lena

p.s. some advice, wear gloves when dicing all those peppers. I didnt have any gloves, but I did it anyway, ouch!
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #4154956

I have to learn how to make jam first, but I'm eager to try it. One of my feijoa bushes is giving for the first time. One of them is a monster fruit! I have some Hungarian wax peppers in the garden still, too. Weather has been very weird this year so some of my plants (the peppers, the Morus alba "Pakistan" ) have had a true second spring where they've blossomed and fruited again!

Thanks so much for the recipe!
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

November 4, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #4155256

Fejoas are great arent they. I always freeze a bunch of them. And make jam. Yummmm!!!! Jam is very easy to make. Lots of fruit and sugar and a little lemon juice and rind, boil till it sets (about 40min). I was making feijoa jam last autumn, thats where I found the inspiration to make chilli jam. Had made way to many chilli pickles already, but the plants were still producing.
I didnt realise feijoas grew in the States. Thought it would be too cold. They dont grow in Europe, thats all I know. None of my relatives over there have ever heard of them. CA is quite warm though isnt it? I dont know USA geography that well.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2007
3:45 AM

Post #4155666

There are only a few places in the world with a Mediterranean climate: the Mediterranean, the coast of most of California, the coast of Chile, the tip of South Africa, and the southern tips of Australia. It's a really interesting climate and we're able to grow a lot of things here that are pushing the boundaries of what we can do. So even though feijoa is not native to a Mediterranean climate, it's close enough. And it requires some winter chill to set fruit. Feijoa actually does very well in Berkeley. It's used as a hedging plant here and very few of the people whose yards it is in know the fruit's edible. Which means lots of good foraging!
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 27, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4593507

Did anyone try that jam?? Im going to try my first batch for the season this week some time. There are no feijoas available yet though. Will use more kiwis instead. Or maybe a pear...?
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #4601666

I hope to learn canning this year. When feijoas are in season here again, I'll give this a whirl.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4601996

I found some of my last years feijoas in the freezer! And made a big batch of jam, its even better than last year. This summer has been so warm, my chillis are hotter than ever. I mixed in some finely diced yellow and red capsicum to add sweetness and colour, it has a mighty kick. Good thing my spouse and I like to eat HOT food!

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 29, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #4603405

I should have put mine in the freezer. Instead I had them in the open air and kinda forgot I had them there... They're growing interesting fungi now.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

February 29, 2008
8:58 AM

Post #4604000

I scooped them out of their skins (a long and tedious task) before freezing them into bricks in plastic-wrap lined containers. A big chore at the time, but Im now very glad I did! I have never tried freezing them whole. I like the idea of having them ready to use in the freezer, or else Ill never actually get around to using them. When is your main feijoa season? Mine will start in about a month or so.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 29, 2008
9:28 AM

Post #4604010

The fall. It starts around October and stretches through, depending on the variety.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #4628077

I've got seeds for Hungarian Hot Wax peppers this year (thanks, Shirley!), but I had no idea what feijoas were... had to go to PF... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1398/

I'm thinking I probably can't find these locally but could probably substitute tropical guava or mango... :-)
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4683446

Last year I bought a six-pack of "Sweet Yellow Banana Pepper" plants at a nursery, and they turned out (I think) to be Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers. The labels got switched, probably by a customer, and I had noticed a bunch of the Hungarian hot peppers right next to the ones I bought.

All six plants had bumper crops of course, then we tried to figure out what to do with all those hot peppers. A couple of my wife's Italian dishes were pretty exciting before we figured out that all those "sweet" peppers were really hot.

I made a lot of hot salsa from them, a lot went in the compost pile, and we diced and froze a bunch. Those are still in the freezer, and we'll probably end up throwing them out. I like hot peppers, but I don't really know what to do with 10 lbs. or so of them.

That deal was kind of a garden disaster for us. We use and enjoy a lot of sweet peppers every year, and I was mostly relying on those six plants - so we didn't get near as many sweet peppers as we wanted.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #4685054

Bummer, O. I find that the hot peppers WAY out-produce the sweet peppers, and like you, I have far more uses for the sweet.

Argh! I can hardly wait for Spring. All of a sudden, I am antsy as can be!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM
PMMV Resistant Varieties? Ozark 12 Jun 26, 2011 1:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America