-
AuthorContent
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2001
6:10 PM

Post #7806

i have a double white that is showing no signs of wanting ot bloom. there are about 6 stalks coming up, all look healthy. but, there are no Y's. i read on one of the postings (cant find it now) that they only bloom from the Y. should i pinch it back? help me please, lol
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
5:15 AM

Post #90509

bringing this to the top. None of my brugs have a Y. One was starting one at the bottom, but it didn't make it. Brug is fine, about 2 1/2 tall.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
3:09 PM

Post #90617

bumping this to the top. I have found a y on a couple of small ones, but my big salmon is one straight stalk. Is that okay??
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2001
6:17 PM

Post #90702

No tiG that is not OK. Dig it up and meet me at Corinth tomorrow at 9:00 A.M. I will bring it back in November and then you can decide what can be done before next year to make it a crooked stalk. Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
6:25 PM

Post #90705

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2001
6:59 PM

Post #90733

If you cut the stalk just right and send it to me, you will get a Y from the new growth! LOL
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
7:17 PM

Post #90741

y'all are sooooooo cute I could just squeeze you!!!
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2001
8:08 PM

Post #90783

oh boy, what have i gotten myself in to, lol
so, let me get this straight, (rofl) if i got the top off and sernd it to tim, mine will Y? sounds easy enough, lol
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
8:23 PM

Post #90790

okay, the guys are real funny, but seriously, does it have to have a Y to bloom??? cause I want to do something to the salmon if so. And is it even tall enough to do that to??? oh, so much to learn for beauty!!!
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2001
8:30 PM

Post #90793

tig, im trying to be serious too. im thinking about going out there and cutting off 2 of the 6 stems to see if they wont Y for me.
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
9:17 PM

Post #90804

ok, havn't even looked at my Brug to see a "Y". I'm assuming and I hate to do that, but you need a main branch with a Y off it for a bloom to start? Just got my first one late May and it bloomed like crazy through mid June then nothing. Healthy as all get out, but no blooms. Now my purple one is an entirely different story. Looks much more like a Datura than a Brug. Can anyone give me some help here?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2001
10:30 PM

Post #90820

There are no purple brugs. Purple is a datura. Datura's (devil's trumpets) have flowers pointing up, brugs (true angel trumpets) have flowers that hang down. I have several daturas with different leaves.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2001
2:35 PM

Post #91514

I have one which has a bud on a sprout,that comes from the bottom of the plant, about 2 1/2 foot long , not really a "Y",unless its "y" ing from the bottom .I can post a picture.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2001
2:52 PM

Post #91519

that sounds like branching, crestedchik, from what we've been told before. Most of mine are doing that.
I just got an answer from kHT, that if it wont' branch on it's own from the bottom, "you can cut out the top about two~three (or more depends on what you want to root) inches down from the top at the leaves. Then take the top piece and root it. Do this the easy way by putting it into a jar of water. This will force the plant to 'Y' and problems is solved. Also let me tell you that it may look like it died at the top for a while but when the new growth come in you can cut the dead area off so it can heal. This all depends on the age of the plant. "
And bad news for me, lots of them won't bloom the first year:(

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2001
12:10 AM

Post #91700

I posted a picture in the identification forum,cause I want some one to identify the Y.I have more pictures. crestedchic
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2001
9:52 PM

Post #92042

Thanks tiG, appreciate the information. I am new to these Brugs and am relly getting hooked. Just after I posted my "Y" question, I started getting new blossoms. Have also gotten lots of help just reading through all the posts. Thanks to all of you for a great site!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 9, 2001
1:20 PM

Post #92237

Secret to branching-spray with a bit of ga-3 and your Brugmansia will branch out. The resulting new growth will be much more prone to sun damage and cold damage. Hope that helps. Or, just let your Brugmansia be, everything will happen when it should based on genetics and the size of the pot. Smaller pot equals spindlier growth.Brugmansia love room to grow and many seedlings will bloom long before they have reached 4ft in height, but don't worry if a seedling doesn't bloom until it is over 9ft. Height seems to be more of a deciding factor with seedlngs and age more so than height with a cutting.
Brugmansia
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2001
3:05 PM

Post #92266

Brugmansia - what is ga-3?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 9, 2001
3:28 PM

Post #92273

liz,
Ga-3 is a plant growth hormone-used to create seedless tomatoes, tissue culture, etc.
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2001
5:25 PM

Post #92776

Is it sold retail or just to the nursery industry? The Ga-3 I mean
Thanks Liz
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2001
10:05 PM

Post #96237

Seedless tomatoes, eh? By all means, tell me where to get it! I've decided that this is the year I'll try growing tomato plants inside for winter---I am so TIRED of those hard, tasteless, orangey things the grocery stores sell in the winter under the name 'tomato'.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America