-
AuthorContent
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2005
3:58 PM

Post #1739014

I found out something really interesting this morning. Maybe this will not come as any news to those of you that grow this beauty, but after 3+ years, I just caught on. LOL
I have 2 inground areas I grow the Corkies, and this year I planted 2 big pots. The inground plants are always covered with ants & I am not able to really get in and investigate as I would like. I had decided that the 2 pots I started would remain ant-free, and have been spraying ant poison around the base of the pots to keep them out. It has been working fairly well, but occasionally a vine will wander out & touch a tree or a fence, and suddenly it is swarming with ants. But I spray the whole plant good with soapy water & wait about 5 minutes, then I hose down the whole plant and whatever ants have not been killed yet seem to not be able to hold on & they fall down into the pot where the water is soapy bubbles & that finishes them off. But that is not what I wanted to tell you about.
As I said, I have not been able to really get in and explore the buds and when my first pot bloomed they were above my head, so still no exploring. But I have a pot on the deck that is on a short trellis & it just started blooming so I can scoot my chair up & explore to my hearts content. I tried something that Laurrie had told me about, squeezing the buds together to find the pollen, but I must be doing something wrong cuz I can't figure out what she is doing. Maybe she will post and give more details. I would like to try my hand with a paintbrush & see if I can do the ants job. But again, that is not what I discovered... What it was, is that those little roundish white knobs that I always assumed where chewed off buds? they are not! They actually exude a sticky substance! THAT is what is luring the ants! It is like syrup! How fascinating is that?
I know, that was pretty long winded to get to that little statement, but hey, I got there eventually! LOL So I think if any of you have interesting tidbits about the Corkies that you should post them here, so we can have a good thread of questions and answers.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2005
4:05 PM

Post #1739022

I tried to get a better picture to identify the knobs. My camera does not do good closeups so maybe someone can add a better one. I circled the knobs in case no one knows what I am talking about. (I suspect that "knobs" is not the proper term. LOL)

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2005
4:46 PM

Post #1739092

Gorgeous flowers! Have you every tried cuttings?
:) Donna
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2005
4:36 AM

Post #1740313

I wanted to KILL my DH!!!! He was near killing my Corkscrew vine other day by pouring gas to kill the ants...The vines was across the ants mount.. It have full of buds and blooming until I realized why they was wilted and leaves falling off from its vine.. I went and checked each vine and saw the vine from the pot was burned and die.. then it lead to the vine to turn yellow.. Sad, I cut it off and remove the vine carefully... But...

There's several new shoot from the vine from pot.. I was so happpppy! Also there are other vines that are starting bring some buds!!!!!!

From the vine that I cut off.. from the top new vine.. I made lots of cuttings and replant in the other pots.. and hopefully they will shoot root and new plant to grow.. I'll let u know soon if it come alive.. since it still up and notice few shoot new baby leaves.. Keep u posted..
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2005
6:24 AM

Post #1740380

My plants, Snail and Corkscrew vines, are not blooming yet and my Snail vine has those little bitty ants. But you know how I have gotten rid of them in other places?

I mix some powdered sugar with some Borax and sprinkle it where they are walking. They normally have a trail. And they are gone the next day. What happens is that they walk in it to get to the sugar and they take it back to their nest and the Borax kills all of them.

Ok, now tell me how to make cuttings. My Corkscrew Vine has what I call arms, 6 feet long but neither plant is blooming. Do I want to cut those off for cuttings? How do you make cuttings?

Jeanette
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2005
1:11 PM

Post #1740608

Where can I find Borax? I have same problem with ants on my Corkscrew vine.. I tried with water/one drop dish wash liquid.. It didn't work longer..

All I did is I took long arm and cut about 7 inches each and plant in the moisture soil pots. On each leave on arm, I took leave off and plant it. I never tried this before and I am trying to see how it come.

Note: The Corkscrew vine (mine) is two years old. This year is first time that they did blooming. I keep feeding them with Miracle Gro once every weeks. On my, they are both sunny/shade on the backpatio corner.( West to East).
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2005
2:07 PM

Post #1740690

I guess I'm on a little different quest than you gals...I try to SOLICIT the itty bitty ants. It wasn't until a colony parked itself right under my corkscrew and right under my snail vines, that I ever got seed pods. They are the only creatures small enough to get inside that curled/coiled reproductive part, and pollinate it...

Now, don't get me wrong. It has to be the RIGHT ant...no fire ants, acrobat ants, or other large ants. They cannot fit, so chew their way to the inside and harm the flower.

Originally we had a Terminex contract, and ALL the ants were destroyed. Then I read that I needed the ants, so tromped around the yard with the terminex guy and only let him treat mounds that were "not the right ones". If we found any of the little tiny black ant mounds, or clear brown ants, he was not allowed to spray them...

That was not only my first season with snail and corkscrew pods, but also my first year with millettia reticulata pods...I think the ants are VERY helpful, just has to be the RIGHT kind of ant...

Mini-
Borax is usually in laundry section of the grocery store. It comes in a sea green box, with a lot of horses on the front. It is a powder that helps your wash get cleaner. It is also a naturally occurring element(or mineral, I forget which), that is sometimes included in fertilizer in very small amounts.

What is it with men and gasoline?? It seems the same with weedeaters! LOL...they just cannot HELP themselves!, with them...
My hubby tried to start a chiminea with gasoline once...I scolded him and warned him, but he insisted he knew what he was doing...as he started to light the match, I ran, prayed...then dared to look back...

It blew out a fireball and singed off all the hair on his legs ,as well as a nice patch of skin...he still has the scar, lol...
-T
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2005
3:30 PM

Post #1740847

I have not had any success with cuttings, but I have with pinning down a vine. And it really did not take that long to root either.
Hopefully Laurrie will come in here today & tell her method of squeezing to hand pollinate.
I would really like one thread with all the tips & tricks we discover along the way about these vines. There is so much conflicting and incorrect info online about these things that I think we need one place for lots of reference by people that are growing them and actually know the difference between the vigna & phaseolus caracallas.
Maybe it would be a good idea if we all mentioned a few things like what kind of soil we grow ours in, whether we have them in full or part sun, and what our usual summer temps are. Also whether or not we fertilize & if we suffer from yellow leaves.

I will start.
Our NORMAL summer temps are dry heat, 100-110 degrees, (this year is odd though) and I have some in filtered sun, full sun & part sun. Only difference is the full sun blooms earlier.
I don't fertilize and I don't get yellow leaves. The ones in the ground are in adobe soil. I water every day. Our winter temps are usually in the 30-40 degree range, and we used to only get a couple of freezes a year. But this last year we got about 10 days of freeze. The vines died to the ground but once Spring arrived they came right back.
I have a real problem with aphid on mine, but that is from the ants bringing them to farm. One effective thing I do is take my spray bottle of water with about a tablespoon of dishsoap in it, spray all over the plant (I do this early in the morning when the sun is not quite up yet, would not do it in the heat of the day) then use my hose nozzle on "shower" setting and hose down the whole plant. The soapy water kills the ants & aphid, but if I have not waited long enough before I start hosing, then the water washes them all off & they fall on the ground where the soapy water is all bubbled and that will finish off any scragglers. I have not had any problems doing it this way, but I can tell you that if you do it in the heat, you will discolor your blossoms. If you must do it in the heat, just use the hose, forget about the soapy water. Even the hose will clean it up alot.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2005 8:32 AM
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1741229

I never thought about this one.. Have any one of you success rooting the vine cutting.. with out cut the vine.. put other pot with dirts filled under the vine and put brick or any weight on top of vine.. will it root??
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2005
6:29 PM

Post #1741233

Donna what a terrific idea this thread!! Questions and answers, perfect, ok anyone else mess with their blooms, that curly part that needs pollinated? lol sorry don't know how to explain it, I don't have any problem getting ahold of both parts of the bloom and gently pulling and as I do this I see the "curly part" it lets the perhaps stigma come out of the curly thing...I know not scientific, but i then get the little pollen fragments and do this to the next one and so on down the plant. Don't know yet if it is going to help with pollenating them, but worth a shot I thought. I would have to have someone take the picture while I am doing this as I need 4 arms...

OK see the curly-q thing? if I grab the left side of "bloom" and right side of the bloom at the end of that curly thing a little teeny thing pops out loaded with pollen!

I love this thread!! I think we should stick totally to questions and answers here, this could really become a great thread on how we get it to pollenate and set seeds or how we get runners rooted, or cuttings to root, etc!!

~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 5, 2005
6:39 PM

Post #1741251

I love this thread too.

First year grower here, the plants so far are in one gallon containers and getting ready to bloom from seeds sown in Jan 2005. Used bottom heat/dome and lights, they grew so fast I couldn't believe it.

We are also in 100-110 degree heat here and they are in full to part sun as they are intertwined with the regular snail vine which are in full sun. I agree with dee, they sure did surprise me surviving in this heat. I do water them often as the wind and heat dries out the pots quick.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2005
6:42 PM

Post #1741255

OK tried to take pic myself, so will have to explain this...
first if you look at this picture, see where my fingers are on left of flower, and look to the right, lower dark purple part of bloom, that is the one you pull on right side - then the "thingie" (please someone tell me what to call this!!!!) as you pull the thingie pops out.

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2005
6:44 PM

Post #1741259

Here is the "thingie" before I pull on the purple petal...

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2005
6:46 PM

Post #1741262

and here is after I pull on purple petal... see how the (stigma???) pops out of the curly thingie and see the little hairs covered with pollen.

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2005
6:51 PM

Post #1741268

ok, so that strip of yellow in the back, is that the pollen too or just the color of the petal? and where are you dabbing it, on the coil? And another question I was pondering this morning, is the knob I mentioned in the first post that exudes syrup, do you suppose that is just to attract the ants or does it aid in pollination somehow...

Mini,
I just take a stray vine, pinch off a set of leaves & then where the vine is open where the leaves were attached, that is what I lay on damp soil & then lay a rock over. That keeps the "wound" pressed against the soil. I have heard of some people not removing the leaves first, that may work too. I just have always removed the leaves.

I water mine in pots everyday, the inground ones every other day.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2005
4:28 PM

Post #1743407

OK yes the yellow strip is part of the color of the bloom/petal. I then dab it from one to another, doing the same process until I think I got all the open blooms. I get the pollen from the hairy part that extends when I pull the petals apart, then move to next one, make the "thingie" pop out and dab it there, make sense?

I wonder too if that knob aids in pollination? no idea, we will have to investigate this furter!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 10, 2005
4:36 AM

Post #1750310

This is great information for me. Here is the first bloom for me. I can really smell the fragrance. Usually I can't smell a thing, I did have to use a stepping stool to smell and take a photo..

Do the flowers change colors as they age?

Also, I notice several little itty bitty flies on the blooms. A few ants around too.

Thumbnail by Gourd

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2005
4:57 AM

Post #1750338

They turn an antique white color, then to tan & fall off. Have you had alot of unopened buds fall off?
I have been watching the "knob" I talked about earlier that oozes the syrup. It actually drips if it is not consumed by the ants. The sun was hitting it just right & it looked so cool! So the flower is not the main attraction at all for the ants, the syrup is.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 10, 2005
5:06 AM

Post #1750348

The first two stalks with buds only had a few each, so far none have fallen off. But, there are only about 6 on each one..

This is the first year that the regular snail vine has seed pods on it, over 2 dozen, so I am hoping that this one will get a couple of pods (wishful thinking here..lolol.)
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2005
5:13 AM

Post #1750355

Wow, good for you! How old are your vines? I did not get seeds on either the Corkscrew OR the Snail until the 2nd year.
Did you grow yours from seed? Have you had any luck with cuttings? I think Taylor has, maybe she will post again.
Glad you were able to get up to where the smell is. :~)
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2005
10:41 AM

Post #1750561

Donna, remember Cheyenne said she thought it smelled like grape koolaid? Well my brother showed up last night and as he walked past it, ha ha ha, get this, he started looking around, I knew why, but didn't say anything, so I kinda kept him standing there near the corkscrew vine talking, and the whole while I could see him nose working, finally he asked me, what is that grape like smell, I pointed to the vine, and he stuck his nose into the flowers, and said Yep, that is what I was smelling!!! So maybe some people think it smells like grape!!! I don't know I can't put my finger on the scent myself.

My one vine as you know Donna is 2 years old, and so far I haven't seen any sign of seedpods on it yet, so perhaps the proper pollination is needed no matter how old the plant is?

Donna is yours setting seed yet? When you get the chance can you take a closeup on the seedpod etc. if you are getting pods?
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

September 10, 2005
2:39 PM

Post #1750832

Such a beautiful vine. I need to buy me some seeds...lol.
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2005
5:15 PM

Post #1751053

I quite agree, put them on my list of seeds to find and try !!!!

~Julie =0)
jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2005
5:46 PM

Post #1751091

I did have luck rooting a couple pieces from my vine last year. I just cut off a piece of firm vine and dipped the end in rooting hormone and made sure I had two nodes covered. Put it in a damped gallon ziplock bag, blew air in and let it stay there for a month or so. However I do have my cuttings inside a greenhouse where it stay's warm day and night.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2005
2:34 AM

Post #1751796

Patricia-
...I've heard that works well, but have never tried it...A lot of people use that method for rooting rose cuttings and swear by it...
-T
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2005
3:03 AM

Post #1751860

Taylor, I may have just missed it in this thread but how can you tell if the ants are "okay" ants?
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2005
3:12 AM

Post #1751880

Taylor, I thought I remembered you telling me you had success with cuttings. If I am right, can you post your method? Thanks! :~)
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2005
12:02 PM

Post #1752228

Yes please Taylor, I would love to share this vine with others, if I can get it to root :(
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2005
3:11 PM

Post #1752471

Terrie-
The large ants are "bad", and the teeny tiny ants are "good" for pollinating both the snail and the corkscrew.

Bad ants certainly include FIRE ants, acrobat ants, and other such large red&black ants.

The good pollinators include the teeny tiny brown ants, clear brown ants, tiny black ants, and Pharoah ants. The Pharoah are the ones you never want in your house, because they love sugar. But, for this reason they are also very attracted to the nectar. These tiny ants are all about 1/4th the size of a fire ant...

They are small enough to pollinate without hurting the flower.

The large ones cannot fit, and are impatient. They just chew right through to get the nectar and destroy the flower.

Donna & Laurrie-the snail are so easy, I've rooted them in just water. They are very easy to root in just about any potting soil, coir, water, you name it.

The corkscrew seem harder and I prefer coir for them. Much less water content for the corkscrew. They rot easily, so keep more on the drier side than the snail...

I have pods on my snail vine, and feel it is due to the tiny clear brown ants making their home beneath the vine for the second year.

The corkscrews I have are in newer beds, and the "good" ants have not found them, yet. The buds are not getting pollinated and are dropping off... ;o(

Two years ago, I had my corkscrew in a spot where the ants found it right away. That was a great year, and I actually got corkscrew pods that year...:0)

-T

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2005
4:52 PM

Post #1752649

Hmmmm, interesting about the moisture for rooting. That's why I cannot get them to root in water. What is coir? And do you think that sticky knob is anything other then an attractant?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2005
6:22 PM

Post #1752781

So what am I going to do with mine for the winter? I don't have a greenhouse. Had planned on bringing them in the house. The snail Vine has a next of the little ants underneath it. Probably in the pot itself.

Jeanette
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 12, 2005
4:18 AM

Post #1753762

Dee,
The regular snail vines are almost three years old and there are 4 plants in each 15 gallon pot. The ones in the ground did not do a thing (except die)..

The corkscrew fragrance is something else. I can't tell what it smells like. The flowers are changing colors now too. In a couple of weeks, the six plants will go into a 15 gallon pot, they seem to overwinter better in a bigger container. They will stay outside in a protected area (under the porch somewhere)..

This past summer I put some of the passion vine fruits to finish ripening inside the bottom of the pots and a rotting banana, that also attracted several ants, maybe that had something to do with all the pods they got this year.

If anyone wants seeds to the REGULAR snail vine, let me know. I can do about 10 SASE's with about 6 seeds each.. they are very small seeds too. (or trade for something weird in the vine catagory).. some pods only had a few seeds and some had up to 8 seeds.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2005
7:02 AM

Post #1753881

I still have some if you need more Gourd. I mean if you get more requests than you have seeds. LMK

Jeanette
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
1:22 PM

Post #1754109

Donna
- I learned about coir in the rose forum. It is shredded coconut hair fiber, and is what the rose growers use as their medium for rooting hard-to-root roses.

I pick mine up at Petsmart. They have it in the lizard section, since many people use it for lizard bedding. It has the consistency of coffee grounds. But each little particle is spongy. If you don't pack it, it allows the cutting the proper amount of moisture AND air. Most cuttings die from not getting enough oxygen, as well as moisture. That is why worms are so great for the soil(aeration), and rooting in water is limited to so few plants(little to no oxygen, and the longer the water sits (stagnant) with stems in it, it actually produce a gas).

This is just my opinion, but I think the sticky knob is just where a bud used to be attached, and was formerly responsible for delivering the nectar to the bloom. Now that the bloom is not there, it is just leaking a bit...? ...just my guess...It does still attract the ants, but I'd imagine the vines main interest is still attracting them to the FLOWERS for pollination. It offers the nectar in exchange for pollination. If the ants just sipped the syrup from the knobs and left, that would not benefit the vine in any way. The vine would be yelling "hey! come back!" LOL...

Antoinette
-I like your way of attracting ants! LOL...learned something new!

Jnette
don't worry if you don't have a greenhouse. You can still over winter them just fine. Just make sure they stay on the dry side, and experience a dormant cool spell.
I brought mine in the greenhouse a few years ago, and even though it was sunny and warm in there, the corkscrews still went dormant on me. They KNEW what time of year it was, regardless of me trying to trick them! lol...
They NEED a dormant period to rest...

Also, the ones I over wintered that year, got watered with the rest of the plants, and that turned out to be a bad thing. When Spring came, I anticipated digging those huge tubers out and planting them, and they had turned to slimy mush. It was a hard lesson to learn. Now, I've learned I can keep them outside in my zone, with sharp drainage, and a layer of mulch.

In YOUR zone the easiest thing to do, is store them in your garage, or other such place(light isn't necessary, since they'll go dormant, anyway). It can be very cold, it just has to not freeze. Keep them on the dry side. Only water minimaly, and only a few times for the whole winter...Some people even keep them in the crisper in the fridge. That is another great spot, because it is moist and cold, but doesn't freeze. But, not everyone's spouse will go for this one! lol...and many people just don't have room to spare that drawer for the entire winter, either...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
2:15 PM

Post #1754222

ps-
Donna-
here is the link with pictures and details of coir http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/489204/
It begins about halfway down the thread...
-T
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2005
2:39 PM

Post #1754261

I have a brick or 2 of that around here! I just have to find it. I had no idea that is what it was though. I got it a couple of summers ago at the 99cent store. (guess how much it was? LOLOL)
I am gonna hunt for it & give it a try. Thanks for the info! :~)
As for the sticky knob, that is what I had always thought too, but with this one that is blooming & antless, I have been studying it daily upclose & personal, lol, and the knobs never had buds on them. It really surprised me, I had been blaming the ants for chewing off buds. Poor maligned things... LOL

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
3:18 PM

Post #1754332

99 cents was a DEAL!
I pay $4.99 each, for mine...if I EVER find them at my 99cent store, I'll clear the entire shelf of them! LOL

Which ants do you have? and keep "hosing off" and "blaming"?, lol

...a lot of my buds have been dropping off, too, but I think it is just stressed because we've not had rain in weeks..
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2005
3:26 PM

Post #1754348

Funny you should ask about the ants I have. I was talking to Laurrie the other day & we were talking about ants and I thought I had normal ants and turns out I have what you call tiny sugar ants. I did not realize that mine were small, but turns out they are. I have only ever seen these & I did not realize that there were giant mutant ants running around in TX & OH! LOL Kind of creeped me out.

And if I had known what those bricks were then, I would have too. Bet they never have them again! LOLOL
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
3:44 PM

Post #1754374

Those sugar ants are "your friends", lol...they are only trying to help you get pods, lol...

That coir is great stuff. I've heard it makes a great soil ammendment in general. It is much more neutral than acidic peat moss.

I've also heard it is a great worm bin medium.

Roses love it, and I even have some roses in pots and substitued coir, instead of using soil. They grow much faster and healthier than the ones in the ground, or potted with soil ...
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2005
7:22 PM

Post #1754774

I need help. I purchased this from Ebay as corkscrew vine, is it? and why do the leaves have so many brown spots.

Thumbnail by kareoke

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2005
8:46 PM

Post #1754913

I have on occasion had the leaves do that, not in the numbers that yours appear to be doing it though. I am not sure what causes it, but when the leaves fall off, the new ones coming are fine so I have always just assumed it was sun damage or something got sprayed on it.
The leaves do look like corkscrew, but many of the bean family have the same leaves. I can not tell my corkscrew and snail vine leaves apart. My beach pea looks the same too.
I CAN tell you that the corkscrews get big & you will have to have a pretty sturdy trellis or fence for them. This is a pic I just took this morning of my 3 year old that is in the ground now. (at least as much as I could fit in the shot) And this is not near as big as it was last year when the weather was normal.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
8:56 PM

Post #1754937

Yes, but Donna, don't forget...you are in CA. It is one of the best places in the world to grow things.
Other parts of the world and even one zone or two can make a great difference. You're probably frost free, aren't you?

Mine are two years in the ground, and no where near that size...

Kareoke-I'm not sure, either, but looks like a bug of some sort got to it.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2005
9:00 PM

Post #1754942

Oh gosh no! We get several freezes a winter. The Corkscrew freezes to the ground & returns from the roots in the Spring. That is why it surprises me that the Snail vine is sold commonly here but it freezes and does not return for me. I thought it was hardier, but not so.
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
9:08 PM

Post #1754958

Donna, if mine that I just planted looks half that pretty next year I'll be happy! That is so-o-o cool! Just planted it this morning (it was in a 2 1/2" pot mail order from Logee's) and quite trailing -- about 6 ft. and already a few teensy weensy buds.

Taylor and Donna, I planted in full sun. Hope that won't be too much of a shock and I hope it's not too late in the season. What do ya' think? Taylor, thanks for the tip on perlite and bark -- I'll do it right away.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
9:09 PM

Post #1754961

That IS strange they act that way for you...I've had people tell me that their snails came back, that were several states north of me...

But, only the southern states can over winter the corkscrews in the ground...

Maybe it is time for you to try another snail? Maybe yours just didn't like that spot?
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
9:11 PM

Post #1754962

BDunn-
mine are in full hot baking Texas sun...I tried them in part sun once, and they didn't bloom as well...
-T
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
9:18 PM

Post #1754976

T-
Well, if your hot sun doesn't hurt it then I'm probably ok. Just hope I didn't scare the little guy to death by taking him straight to his new home!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1754984

Yep, I buy a new Snail every year. I just got several on the Lowes Clearance table & I put them in the bed where I had the Thunbergia Grandifloras that I just removed at Roundup. There is an overhang above and I am hoping that will protect them. I find the same thing as Taylor, full sun gets you the earliest & most blooms.
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
9:25 PM

Post #1754992

T-
I think you asked for a pic of the new addition so I'll get it to you by tomorrow so you can, hopefully, confirm that's it's real a corky rather than a snail. Barbara
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2005
9:28 PM

Post #1755001

Well mine is in a pot so when it's time I will bring them in and see what develops.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 12, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1755017

Does anyone have a photo of the tubers, I would be very interested in seeing one.. too afraid to dig mine up ...lolol. Maybe when I transplant.

Dee,
boy what nice coverage on that fence.. wow..
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2005
10:30 PM

Post #1755112

Here is a pic in PlantFiles. I have never seen one myself, I have always grown from seed. But I have heard that some places you buy them actually ship the tuber.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/15572/

Yes, it covers a fence well. With the crazy weather we had it has stayed pretty small this year, it has made very few attempts to go up & over.
kathyvm
Fruitport, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2005
10:56 PM

Post #1755152

Do you know the names of places that ship the tuber? I've been watching this thread for a while and decided that this is one plant that I have to find. I've heard of this plant before and have looked all over Michigan for 2 years now with no luck. I have the snail vine but it doesn't smell. I like flowers with nice scents. I'd really like to find this one.
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2005
11:56 PM

Post #1755270

Kathy,
I just ordered 2 plants from Logees.com and they arrived very quickly and were very healthy and one even had small buds! Each vine is approx. 4-5 ft. even though they were in 2 1/2" pots. (Don't let that fool you since they like being pot bound when they're getting started.) I'm very impatient and like instant gratification in the garden and was thrilled to get these healthy plants. I planted one outside along my picket fence and I'm going to keep one inside potted till next Spring. I'll let you know how they do. I know you're in a colder zone, but if you want one that is already started, I highly recommend checking that website. I also just got their catalog and they have some very unusual plants for indoors for the winter. The plants were @$7.95. Good luck!
Servants_heart
Laurens, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2005
2:27 PM

Post #1756452

Someone (I don't remember who) this Summer shared a rooted chunk of this vine with me. It has not flowered and doesn't look like it will this year. I am in upstate SC within a couple hours drive of the NC/TN borders. Will this be ok in the ground over Winter?? I haven't noticed any ant problems but mine is growing with some Morning Glory I did not plant and is under my bird feeder--the base of which is covered in Sunflower seeds shells and there is plenty of millet growing all the time too!! hehehe Keep pulling it up but just get more in its place!! Maybe the things growing around/near the vine are keeping the ants from being attracted or maybe it is only because there are no buds or blooms yet??

Bonnie
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2005
8:43 PM

Post #1763642

OK I just had to share, now I talked to Donna today, we can't say for sure that my "pollination" efforts are the reason I found these today or not, but I found seedpods forming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES I am so very excited, just had to show these little buggers off LOLOL

Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

September 16, 2005
8:46 PM

Post #1763651

Wow, you're a Mommmy!!!
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2005
8:49 PM

Post #1763656

and the "threesome" aren't they beauties ;) at least I think so, now just hope they don't sit on the vine all fall into winter or I won't get any seeds before frost!!! Here is what I noticed, all the faded blooms that normally were falling to ground, I noticed these were "hanging on" and when I investigated, that is when I noticed the baby seedpods :)

cross your fingers for me please!!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2005
8:50 PM

Post #1763661

LOL yes an expectant mommy!!! I hope they stay on and ripen :)
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

September 16, 2005
9:19 PM

Post #1763708

I've got a bid in on ebay for some seeds. I hope I get them. But I would luv a rooted cutting one day.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 16, 2005
9:27 PM

Post #1763721

Laurrie,

Good going there.. maybe you can put some insulation around the plant when the cold starts. Or bubble wrap, I saw somewhere they had used rolls of bubblewrap. Place stakes all around it, then wrap around the stakes.. you never know, it may work just until the pods dry. Hopefully they will be dry be then.

Congratulations on your baby pods.. that is great news..

edited to say: The flowers are not staying on here.. but, I figured out what I think they smell like, Jasmine.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2005 1:28 PM
jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2005
9:32 PM

Post #1763729

PudgyMudpies so even with frost, you keep your corkscrew in the ground? I am so afraid that it will freeze and not come back, but it is getting mightly large to be digging up.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
2:26 AM

Post #1764181

Laurrie-
Congratulations girl! I am so happy for you! I hope you get lots of beans!

Patricia-If they come back for me in zone 8(which they do) they will definitely come back in yoru zone 9! Just be sure the drainage is good and they are "dry cold" instead of "wet/soggy cold"...

Donna- don't go nuts on ebay...I was hoping to surprise you with our trade...
-Taylor

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

September 17, 2005
2:28 AM

Post #1764190

Oooookay!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2005
6:06 AM

Post #1764547

I'm still lurking out here and that is so interesting and exciting for you Laurie. I have got to bring mine in soon as it is still around 37 at night here but don't know for how long.

I doubt if I will ever get to the point that you are Laurie but it is fun watching yours.

Jeanette
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2005
1:13 PM

Post #1764767

Thanks Taylor, I didn't think I would see beans either, and I am not holding my breath LOL

Jeanette, I also lurk around some of the forums too ;) I have both mine in pots so when that nasty ole frost heads this way I can just grab them and stick in garage or basement, I don't want to lose these vines and am already coming up with ideas in case we go without power again for 8-9 days like this past December!!!!

I have no idea how long these may take to grow and ripen, but I am definitely excited! Donna (Pudgy) was correct in telling me to put them in full hard sun all day, they started blooming so much faster then.

Perennialgirl Donna, LOL Taylor is a truly wonderful trader, you'd never be disappointed trading with her.

Laurrie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
1:58 PM

Post #1764832

Laurrie-that was such a sweet thing for you to say...
thank you
-T
...(now can I just copy and paste that to my feedbacks?) LOL...just joking! Hard to show facial expressions, including "nudge, nudge, wink, winks" in here...lol...

by the way...I think you'll have your pods set. If they do not drop off in the next few days and start growing longer, you'll be set. They do take a while to mature, but you've still got a few months until hard freezes. A few light frosts in November can be warded off with an old sheet over them for the night...then uncover late morning when the temps are back up and the sun is out...

I did that last year with all my lemon trees/bushes. They didn't ever come inside, but rather made it the entire winter outside...in Jan and Feb(our two coldest months) I left the sheet on day and night.
They never even lost a single leaf!
-T

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2005
2:11 PM

Post #1764855

Shame on ME Taylor, I always forget about our feedback system! I better keep on my toes huh? LOLOL You don't have to copy/paste that! I did, and proud to add feedback for you!!!!

I think they will be ok, I have some that are larger as well, and they haven't dropped off yet!!! We get below zero weather in winter and always always below freezing for long time here, so it will definitely have to come inside later down the road. I have until around mid to late October before I will have to bring inside.

Here is the larger bean :) I think about 4 inches would be an accurate guess without actually measuring it, can you just see my grin! LOL

Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
2:29 PM

Post #1764881

Even MORE shame on ME!!!!

I was just joking, and just now looked to make sure I'd left you great feedback, and realized that I'd never left any for you, either!

Ack!, lol...

I knew I should have edited that, the second I typed it! lol...
...now I am embarrassed!

Wow! October??!! that is just around the corner...maybe you can put a plant light on it, in your basement until they are ripe? Seems that plants just know how long they have, and places like Canada, can have things grow and ripen so much faster than "down here"...

Maybe they'll "just know" and hurry up for you! I hope so, for your sake!
...I still think you should relocate down here! lol...then you'd have a longer season, and it would save you and Donna a lot on long distance phone calls!! LOL!
-T
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2005
2:46 PM

Post #1764907

LOLOL too funny!!! I think we get caught up on these threads and sometimes forget things eh? I am known for that!! no worries, we are squared away now lolololol

Yes October, and Yes I do have a plant light and it will be coming in when I "have" to but until then I will leave them alone and not even touch them for fear of them falling off lol

Yes poor Donna, she has no computer right now, in case you wondered from no posts, they need to get the cable re-installed, slight problem with it ;) talked to her yesterday on phone, but I never worry about the call fee, it's not often we chat on phone, mostly online, I save the phone calls for special occasions like SEEDPODS LOLOLOLOL
Servants_heart
Laurens, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
2:48 PM

Post #1764910

I'm sorry if someone has already answered my question (don't have time to read all of every thread--have to use computer at the public library):

I am in upstate SC zone 7/8. Can I leave my vine in the grown over Winter or should I dig it up and pot it?? I got a rooted bit from someone here this Summer, it has not even flowered at all yet but is growing a bit of vine and leaves. Thanks!! Bonnie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
3:25 PM

Post #1764964

Bonnie-
I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong, but think they are very marginal in your zone. If you had two, I'd say try one either way, to experiment, but only having the one, I'd not risk it...
-T
roblkey
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
3:41 PM

Post #1765003

Donna, that is gorgeous. That is one vine that I have not been able to try yet. BTW, how are you?

Robin
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2005
5:55 PM

Post #1765293

I am back online! WHEW! lol
Love the pics Laurrie, I am sooo glad you posted them! I am so positive that these resulted from you with your paintbrush cuz you don't have the tiny ants. Good job girl!
Patricia, I do not dig mine up. It is along a west fence with no overhang to protect it. In the beginning I used to throw a sheet over it when a freeze was predicted, but I don't do that now because I now know that all the above ground growth is gonna die off whether I cover or not. And another thing I wanted to point out about the seeds. Last year was the first year I got seeds on mine & when Fall got here, we went right into winter. I was getting really nervous because my seedpods had not ripened yet (I could see the full-sized beans inside) & much to Laurries amusement, I was spending alot of time alongside my vine with my hairdryer...I know, but I was DESPERATE! lololol Did not do any good, they did not turn brown, and then the first freeze warning was issued. I went ahead and picked them green and laid them on paper towels above the tv cuz it was a warm spot. It took awhile, but those seedpods did turn brown. I planted some inside around January I think it was, (used bottom heat) and darned if I did not have near 100% germination!

So if you have to pick green, wait as long as you can & hopefully you will be ok.

Hi Robin, doing fine. Hope you are too! :~)
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
6:24 PM

Post #1765336

Donna-glad you are back online...weird to NOT be, when you are so used to it, isn't it?
-T
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
6:29 PM

Post #1765341

Taylor and Donna,
Remember I ordered the 2 corkies in pots and they arrived so healthy? Well, I planted the one and T. you told me to add perlite and I did... This little guy was planted LAST SATURDAY! It had tennie weenie buds when it arrived and they are starting to get larger...already!

And it's amazing about the little ants...they already found it!

Do you think there's enough "summer" left so that these bitty buds will bloom? I sure hope so as I can't wait to see.

The other vine is going in to a pot shortly so I can bring it inside for winter and see how each does. It didn't have any buds when it arrived so, naturally, the one with buds went in the ground.

Oh, almost forgot...T you said you would take a look at this photo to confirm that I actually received a corkscrew rather than a snail. Whatcha' think?

Thanks for all your help!
Barbara

Thumbnail by BDunn

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2005
9:44 PM

Post #1765621

YEP!
Barbara! That is the "real deal"!
Congratulations on your blooms after only one week! lol...you must be excited.
Those buds are pretty well formed already...they should bloom in the next week, or so!
yipee for you!
-T
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2005
5:18 AM

Post #1766477

MiniSchnuz can you tell if any of those pieces you are trying to start have done anything? Maybe it is too soon. Looks about 2 weeks. I have to take mine in soon so I guess I will try some.

Patricia I think you said yours took? I will try some that way also.

Seedpicker, I have an extra refrigerator in the basement that I have not had plugged in due to lack of use. So you think that might be a good place to put them? The big plant. That is if the reefer works since it hasn't been used for a while. What do you think about putting my begonia tubers and dahlia tubers in there also?

Gosh, if it works I could stuff it full. LOL Jeanette
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2005
5:23 AM

Post #1766487

Yipee! I can't wait. Taylor, I'll send a pix when they open. Thanks for your help!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2005 12:24 AM
mountainmeadowseeds
Augusta, WV
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2005
6:16 PM

Post #1767239

Do you think I can bring this plant indoors in a container to over winter here in zone 5? I have not had success in getting my corkscrew vine to bloom yet. I bought 4 plants from Parks, two died and the other two have just grown and grown, but alas no blooms. This is my first year growing these I'd like to get seeds.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2005
7:46 PM

Post #1767391

Jnette-
I've never heard of someone using the entire fridge for an entire plant, but might work!! It would truly be an experiment!!

On the other hand, the lower crisper drawers are an age-old place for keeping tubers(not plant in soil, just the dug tubers and bulbs) of all sorts. If you keep your dahlia and such in the crisper, just don't seal them in a plastic bag. They need to breathe. A paper bag is good, or a plastic bag with a lot of holes punched in it. Potatoes are tubers(for example...) So, if you have(or can save) an empty potato bag that would work perfectly!

Most over winter the corkscrew in their garage. It is cool or cold, but not freezing, and they barely water it.
..they can take dry cold better than wet cold(which they do not like at all).

Seems the fridge would be the perfect moist cold, and you shouldn't even have to water it the entire winter...sounds like a great idea, but would hate for it to not work, and you be mad at me...:0)

Barbara-I was so relieved you had the real thing! I just hate being the bearer of bad news! lol...

Dennis- I think the garage would be a great place to overwinter your corkscrew. Just keep cold but not freezing and keep on the dry side.
If you store in a greenhouse, they seem to know it is winter, anyway, and it stresses them, because they need that rest period... I tried them in the greenhouse the first season I had them, and mine went completely dormant in 80 temps!

It also is hard to keep them on the dry side, when they are in a greenhouse with everything else that is getting watered more than the corkscrew would like to be watered. They will rot easily if overwatered...I know because I've done it, lol...and did do that to them, that first year...
-T

mountainmeadowseeds
Augusta, WV
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2005
8:45 PM

Post #1767486

Thanks Seedpicker for the advice. My Corkscrew vine has spots that turn into holes on the leaves what is that an indication of, any idea? Maybe watering too much? Oh and it is growing in a large container which is the way I grow most of my vines. Reason for that is our soil is so poor, full of hard clay and shale. Sometimes my morning glories get the same spots and the leaves fall off, but my Corkscrew vine is the only vine having that happen this year. My greenhouse gets down into the sub zero temps in the winter so most temperate plants I bring into our sun room. I really want this vine to survive. I am curious. If I was to get seeds do you know if they would come back true?
Thanks again for your help.
Dennis

Thumbnail by mountainmeadowseeds

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2005
10:18 PM

Post #1767680

Seedpicker, I don't get mad, I have killed a lot more plants than this one. No, I think my one concern might be if the frige were frost free. That might dry it out??? Will have to look. Actually, I didn't know the Corkscrews were tubers. That is interesting. No wonder they won't winter here.

Dennis I will rent you out space in my refrigerator. LOL

Jeanette
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2005
12:47 AM

Post #1767937

Dennis-
Several people have posted the same looking spots on their corkscrews. My honest answer is "I'm really not sure"!
I thought it was bugs, but that was just a guess...why don't you take a leaf into your local mom n pop retail nursery and ask them?

If you over water them, the leaves turn yellow. If you continue to over water them, they rot and die. Yours look a little on the yellow side, so maybe you are "loving(watering)" them too much. A good dose of fertilizer with some epsom salts and a little superthrive, should help green it back up.

Yes, they definitely come back true to seed. No crosses possible.

Jnette-
Well, you could always give it a little water now and then, just keep a saucer underneath it, lol...I think just whatever will best imitate a dry winter in a frost free zone, should work!

-T

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2005
1:33 PM

Post #1768711

Taylor,
How do you dilute your epsom salts?
Jan...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2005
1:39 PM

Post #1768721

Hi Jan!!
I use 3 tablespoons per gallon, or a cup or so, per 5 gallon bucket. (That is if I'm using it in water. )
In the Spring, and Fall, I just sprinkle a cup of epsoms and two cups alfalfa pellets directly around the base of my roses and nicer vines...then just scratch it in the soil surface a little with a three tined garden tool/fork.
-T
Servants_heart
Laurens, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2005
2:51 PM

Post #1768830

seedpicker--you think it is marginal in my area. Maybe if I protected it well like I do my Brugs?? Well, maybe better safe than sorry. When should I dig it up--before temps get into the 50's?? Thanks!! Bonnie
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2005
3:10 PM

Post #1768882

Thanks Taylor,
The one I got from you last year set buds but they never opened.
It had been potted so I just put it in the ground and want to give it a boost in a couple of weeks.
Jan...
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2005
3:13 PM

Post #1768884

So...am I correct to understand that if I have big ants and no pods the big ants are eating off the blossoms. ?
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2005
6:19 PM

Post #1769200

Bonnie- you are in the exact same zone as I am. Mine rotted in the ground the second year, from too much rain in winter...
So, I dug their spot, backfilled with lots of sand, perlite, and fine bark mulch along with some of the soil, so it would have good to sharp drainage. The past two winters, I've had them come back from the ground just fine, and just get larger and larger.
If you have good to sharp drainage, I think you could probably mulch them and they'll do fine. If your drainage isn't good, I'd dig them up and improve your soil in Spring when you replant...

Jan-you are welcome...sad to hear you never got to see/smell the blooms!

Charlotteda-you can tell if they are eating them...they'll look chewed. They may just be falling off on their own. If they are falling off, it could either be because they are not being pollinated, or because they've been stresses by too much, or too little water during the blooming phase...
-T
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2005
9:30 PM

Post #1769515

Thanks T. I've have to look closer its been very dry here.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2005
5:09 PM

Post #1771086

I've had a few seeds drop off, but the majority of them are still hanging on here :) Perhaps I will have some for trading in the spring, keeping my fingers crossed!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2005
8:32 PM

Post #1771491

I just saw this post and did not get a chance to read all the posts. But I am curious the difference between the corkscrew and the snail vine vines. are they two diff vines? Mine has white and purple in the flower, but isn't a long flower like the one in the very first picture, and as far as i can tell isn't very fragrant.

Did we find out what the ants do? do they promote the pollenation?

kathy_ann
I'll go out and take apicture of mine I've always called it snail vine, was given to me as snail vine.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2005
8:44 PM

Post #1771512

Here is mine, Now that I see the flower, it is quite diff from the cork screw vine, so mine is the snail vine, being a much smaller flower right? and no fragrance. It did have lots of the sugar ants on it.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2005
10:43 PM

Post #1771764

Hi Kathy,
the solid purple is Snail vine Phaseolus Caracalla and has no fragrance. But ants do pollinate it.
The Corkscrew is Vigna Caracalla & is a cream colored flower with purple edging & highly fragrant. Ants pollinate it too.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2005
1:14 AM

Post #1772009

Ok, Glad to know there is a difference. I see the flower diff is quite a big one. Darn, I wish I had the corkscrew LOL, I love the fragrant flowers so much. I could spray perfume on mine I guess LOL.

thanks for letting me know the difference.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1772339

LOL, you would never be able to match the scent. The snail vine is interesting, but the scent of the corkscrew, oooh lala, my favorite smell ever! :~)
Try Logees or Ebay for a plant & then you will have a jump on blooms next year.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
12:08 PM

Post #1772631

So question here, since I have never grown the snail vine (phasaelous) do they actually have a scent?

Donna was soo right when she told me once I had the Corkscrew (vigna caracalla) that I would never want to be without that plant!!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2005
1:36 PM

Post #1772799

Laurrie-
Nope...snail vine has none whatsoever...
-T
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2005
1:57 PM

Post #1772837

But on the positive side, the snail vine blooms more often and in greater numbers than corkscrew.
Jan...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1773128

Tis true, No scent at all, but it's a bloomin fool I tell you. Shame something so unique looking has no scent what so ever. I'm sick, now I'm on the hunt. I can smell the scent now. calling my name. LOL
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
5:02 PM

Post #1773141

I think perhaps next year I will try to grow some of the phasaelous seeds just for kicks, they sure look pretty even if there is no scent, but don't think I could NOT grow the corkscrew - vigna one. I will definitely be keeping some of my corkscrew vines over winter even if I have to put them in my bedroom!!
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
5:42 PM

Post #1773236

adding an updated photo of the seedpod:)

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
5:54 PM

Post #1773265

I wish I could get up to mine to try the hand pollinating information. All my blooms are over my head. I have been growing this one that I started from seed over 3 yrs ago. A friend is possibly bringing over a larger ladder than we have and I think I might make a trip up there to get a whiff. Right now my brugs are over powering the night air here. I do remember last year the distinct smell of hyacinths when I had the same plant by the back door. Who needs potpouri when you have all these fragrant flowers flowing in the night air.

Here is a shot of this plant growing up an old antenna that was left on the house. Ignore the UGLY gray house in the background. We are still debating on colors to paint. (I am still having a hard time trying to figure out why someone whould paint an old stone house. )

Thumbnail by dottnmd

dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
5:55 PM

Post #1773268

Closer view of one of the flowers.

Thumbnail by dottnmd

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
5:58 PM

Post #1773272

WOWIE Dott, that is a huge vine!! Your grey isn't so bad! But I agree, who would paint lovely old stone!!! I think you will need more than a ladder to get to the top of that vine!! Does yours overwinter there? just curious if it doesn't how the devil do you get it down, just chop and overwinter the roots???

Laurrie
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
5:59 PM

Post #1773275

Dott, do you get alot of pollination there? seedpods? just curious how you'd go about collecting if you did get them! LOL, I love it, wish mine could overwinter outside here :(
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
6:06 PM

Post #1773287

No Laurrie, it doesn't overwinter here. We will be cutting it back to 6 ft or so and bring it in on the inside back porch where it stayed last winter. Believe me, I wasn't expecting it to grow that much when I placed it on that antenna. It is still in the original pot I blaced it in over 3 yrs ago and I am suspecting that the roots might have grown through the holes in the bottom and are in the ground now. This will be an experience that will need to be taken care of soon since colder temps aren't far away.

Laurrie, your pictures are so lovely and are picture pefect of the flower.

Dott
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
6:08 PM

Post #1773293

I have never had seeds on the plant. I will have to get DH's bonaculars out this evening and see if there is anything pollinating it naturally (lol.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1773310

LOL well as tall as it is, you'd have to look out the window to search for seeds!!!

What size pot did you put that bugger in? I can' t get over how tall it went, I have mine in pots here too, but kept winding them around each other because I didn't want to try to cut or unwind if I happened to be lucky enough to get pollination! I think mine would only be about 20 feet if I unwound them, but yours looks much higher than that!

Thanks for the photo compliments, I love those closeup shots!
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
6:34 PM

Post #1773352

Getting out those windows are another story. Old house lots of air getting in so I caulked those windows shut late last fall. We didn't open them this year because we didn't need them. Unless it's humid outside, it stays confortable inside without AC even in 90 plus heat. It has to be the fact that the walls are over a foot thick. They don't build them like they use to.

The pot is a 10 inch one I think. At most it would be 12 inches. It is deffinately over 20 feet I think. I think I might try your way next year. It will be easier for me bring in, in the fall.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 21, 2005
6:52 PM

Post #1773398

Dottmd,
what a gorgeous vine, it is nice that you have a runner going towards the window there, you can try smelling it from there. Just beautiful..

edited to say: boy, I totally missed the caulking part.. .

This message was edited Sep 21, 2005 1:06 PM
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
8:18 PM

Post #1773542

Wow that is a thick walled home, that is terrific, and I wouldn't attempt to open the windows either then.

Thanks for the pot info, mine is 12 inches that I have mine in, used a little wooden "ladder" thing for it to climb on, it outgrew that so I just started twining it up and over and everywhich way I could, and yes it will be easy to bring in, I think garage first that way when all the leaves start to drop they can be swept up instead of having them do all that droppin in the house.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2005
10:30 PM

Post #1773775

Dott-
Gorgeous going up the side of your house like that!

You know...who says you have to paint over it?? Why don't you and your hubby rent or pay someone to sandblast the paint OFF, and have the natural color of the stone back??
-T
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1773785

Taylor, that was my thought too!! and perhaps just paint windowframes, etc. Wonder which would be the easier/cheaper way?

Dott, at the bottom, was there an old window that was taken out and stone replaced there? Perhaps it didn't match correctly and that is why it was originally painted? I love the color of green on shutters and trimwork! I love green and the "older" looking things :)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2005
11:34 PM

Post #1773894

That is a wonderful idea Seedpicker. Then they would only have the expense once and no painting. I really like that stone. Don't know why people paint that and also fireplaces. So weird.

Laurrie, your seedpot is fantastic. It looks like an extra long string bean. So interesting.

Dott, I just can't even imagine that vine getting that big and being in a pot. What in the world do you feed it? I hve mine on my deck by my pond and it has wound around everything in site. the begonias, daturas, and even the fountain itself. I have to unwind them. The thermometer read 29 last night.

dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
11:40 PM

Post #1773902

Wow Laurrie, you picked that stoned up window well. It was actually the original door to the old place. On the inside there is a built in bookcase.

Low down on the house. First we are renters and will most likely always be so it's not ours but out wonderful landlord said do what you would like and treated it like yours. We moved here last spring after over 2 yrs of hunting. Here's the beginning of why the house was painted. The house use to be an ole store with one floor and a basement where they made dandelion wine as well as others. That stoned up door was the original way to get inside. We have other old windows that were stoned up also. They eventually turned it into a house and added the second level. If you look in the pic, the second floor is block. This why we think it might have been painted. The windows one the first floor of the house are extremely old and will eventually be replaced with new. As soon as I walked in the house it felt like home. I love the thought of old. The window sills are perfect for plants of course. The sills are a foot deep or more. I will admit it is a little freaky when I hear critters(usually squirrels and chipmunks) scampering. Most people can't find us since we are back off the road and hidden by another house (asset). Anita (landlord) told me to pic out what colors I would like to have the house painted but It is a big decision so it may take awhile. They had discussed sand blasting the stone and using siding on the upstairs. Work in progress but I don't mind and I love my old house. I just hate the gray. I hear there are a lot of stories to go with this place and when I talked to one of my older neighbors he said that the owner knew more and I will eventually find out.

I suppose I rattled to long.
Dott
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
11:41 PM

Post #1773903

Yikers Jnette! you better be getting those babies inside and fast LOL
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2005
11:45 PM

Post #1773912

we posted at same time :)
Dott dear you could never rattle too long, I love the story and can see you fell in love with the place! As I would have I am sure, I do love the older homes they show such character, I noticed the block at top and figured perhaps that was why they painted it, I think an interesting color might be a pale yellow or I know in my head the color but describing it is impossible LOL, it would work well with that lovely green painted trim too!

I would love those kind of windowsills, almost window seats! too neato!

Will the landlady help with the painting, or help fund the painting if and when you decide to do it? too exciting either way, I think it is too neat!
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2005
12:10 AM

Post #1773947

Landlady will be paying for the paint and we will be doing the work. She said she will even compensate us for our time but we don't much care about that. I have been thinking along the lines of a dark cream/yellow but this color green has to go also. I was thinking along the lines of an olive green with white trim as well as the front porch in white. I still haven't gotten all the living areas done yet.
We use to live in town in OLD rowhouses with few windows, dark paneling and white where the wall could be painted for 15 yrs. This is my first experience picking colors and I want everything bright and airy. I want the sun to bounce off of eveything when the light comes in the window. The biggest plus is NO CURTAINS. We don't have to have them because there's no one that can really see in. We only have blinds in the upstairs for the summer to keep the sun out so it doesn't warm up to much. I will eventually make valances where I want them but haven't been able to find any material that suits the house yet with the colors I am interested in. You can see it will be years before this will come together.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2005
1:18 AM

Post #1774059

Dott, too great!!

I agree with your choice of colors, those would look really vibrant and nice and airy. I don't use curtains either! we too have miniblinds upstairs on bedroom window for same reason here.

oops I totally forgot which thread I was on, Donna I am sooo sorry, I will try to not write anymore "off topic" stuff here :(
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2005
5:25 AM

Post #1774536

Darn, I was just getting into helping her decorate her house. Just one question and then we will quit. Promise. Why won't she sell you the house?

Ok, back to vines and climbers.

I brought my Corkscrew in tonight but cut off 4 lengths about 6 feet long. I think I am going to try rooting in water and also in soil. Taylor do you have any suggestions? I saw someone said somthing about peralite? Funny thing, when I cut the vines I smelled kind of a sweet smell.

Jeanette
downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2005
9:37 AM

Post #1774655

I want to jump in and talk about my corkskrew.I planter mine in a large pot at the end of a pergala.It is right next to a peach colored black eyed susan vine.I made bamboo tepees for both pots.Both vines grew very rapidly and I also looped them over so that they wouldn't grow too high.At some point they got away from me and of course got intwined.
They looked great but there was very little flowering on both vines.I thought that they weren't getting enough sun.
Low and behold about 3 weeks ago they both started putting out lots of flowers and really look good together.
So far no pods but I have alot of the tiny ants so I'm hoping.
I will never be without the corkskrew again.
Sorry but I don't have a camera to post pictures.
Nancy
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2005
2:06 PM

Post #1774903

Jnette-
Some people root things in perlite with success, but that is not my experience. Coir is my rooting medium of choice, and my top pick, out of lots of trial and error.

They sell it in bricks at the petstore in the lizard bedding section. It is shredded coconut fiber and is like spongy coffee grounds. It is what the professional rose people use.
I've gotten things to root in it, when they would't root in anything else.

I don't think water is a good choice, because they rot easily as it is. I'm quite sure they'll just mush on you, if you set them in just water. They need more air than is available to them in a glass of water. Now, maybe a bubbler in water, would change all that, but I've not tried it.

google "rose cloner" and you can find out more about the bubbler systems...you can make your own, or they are kinda pricey to buy...

Coir is cheap, easy, and very reliable!
-T
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2005
5:48 PM

Post #1775307

Well, I found this thread perhaps too late - Planted my corkscrew from seed this spring, they've been flowering all summer but no seed pods. I went and checked after reading about the ants and the few flowers that are on there now do have ants of all sizes and descriptions on them - fire ants and tiny ants alike. I was going to try Laurrie's hand pollination method, but there is only one flower right now with a nice 'thingy' so I can't cross pollinate it with any other flowers - I assume these need to cross with other flowers? Does anyone really know what the pollen needs to pollinate - where does it need to go? is real seed-producing part of the flower just that little 'thingy'? The rest of the flower is just ornamental?

I also have had problems with yellowing leaves and they fall off. I took some to local nurseryman I know and he said it was fungus - sprayed for fungus (several times!) and it slowed it down some, but still have yellowing leaves so I gave up on fixing that. Decided to fertilize heavily and hope the vine could withstand whatever it was making the leaves yellow. My husband got mad at it for looking that way (and not making any seeds) and cut the vines with the yellow leaves way back - not sure that was a good idea at this point, but it's done now. At least he didn't pour gasoline on them! LOL!

I planted some of my vines in full sun (BAD - never really did anything - bloomed one time, now my morning glories that were growing on either side of them have taken them over, so I can't even find them), mid-day sun (yellowing leaves, bloomed first) and bright shade (look best, but bloomed later). I'm in Central Florida, the sun is brutal here . Do you other folks from central/south Florida grow yours in true FULL SUN?

thanks much for any info -

Onalee

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2005
5:58 PM

Post #1775323

Hi Onalee,
I'm in St.Pete. I found my snail vine loves the full sun and has it from sun up to sun down. However, I found it too hot for the corkscrew vines. They seem more prone to withering under the full sun so I have moved them to an area where they only get full sun a few hours a day. This in only my 2nd year with the corkscrew and one budded for the first time but the buds failed to open. It was potted and I just planted it in the ground and will be fertilizing when it recovers from transplanting.

Jan...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2005
9:11 PM

Post #1775660

Seedpicker, I went down to a town 40 miles away with a pet store and got some of the coconut fiber. No, I didn't drive that far just for that. LOL Do you think I should use a rooting hormone also? I have a bubbler going with brug cuttings in it, wonder if I should try some Corkscrew vine in there too. Might as well, I have enough to play with. Also, I find peroxide does wonders for some of this stuff. Do I mix potting soil with the coconut fiber? Do I just wrap a cutting in some and put it in a ziploc bag? Tell me what to do with this Taylor. Thanks, Jeanette
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 22, 2005
9:24 PM

Post #1775674

I also have a question for Laurrie,

What did you use to put the pollen on with?

Well, there was a small pod here about one inch long yesterday, but this morning it was gone, so it did not stick.

Dee,
Have you noticed any tiny flies around yours (almost like fruit flies)? That is all that was on all the flowers here, the ants somehow stayed on the regular snail vine, so I cut off the racemes full of small ants and draped them over the Corkscrew flowers. It seemed to keep the tiny ants there, but the pods did not stay on. I am wondering if it got too cold last night, or it just was not pollinated.

There are no flowers or buds left here, so have to wait till next year.. or will it bloom some more? Anyone know?

Thanks..
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2005
9:39 PM

Post #1775694

A~ I used only my fingers, It is kinda hard to pull open the one side and then pull on the other side, and then the only way possible for me was to use my pointer finger cuz there was no way I could have held a paintbrush while doing it. After you pull on the bloom, the "thingie" sticks out and you can see the fuzzy hairs loaded with bright yellow pollen, I just rubbed my finger all over it really well (you can see it sticking to your finger) then I went onto next bloom, and rubbed same finger all over that pollen, thus adding more from that bloom, so then back to first bloom, after that it was a tossup, cuz I had all that pollen from both, I just continued around the plant going from one to the next. It' s just soo hard to describe and very difficult to take photos while doing this, I literally would need 4 hands :(

Your may bloom some more, I noticed after awhile mine went like yours didn't see any buds or blooms then they seemed to "flush" again and it's loaded once again. Good Luck and if you have any other questions, I will sure try to help.

~Laurrie
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2005
10:31 PM

Post #1775767

Laurrie, I did not realize you used your finger, I thought it was a paintbrush. Interesting! I have not tried it myself, I have just been too lazy. I have pods forming on the ones in the ground that I let the ants have, so I know I am covered seedwise. I will have to get ambitious and try it in my protected pots.
Antoinette, I do have little things flying around. I call them fly-bees cuz they look like teeny-tiny bees that crossed with flies. These latest must be babies though cuz they are super tiny,like the size of a flea. They are always trying to get into the corkscrews but the ants swarm around every place the fly-bees land. But the carpenter bees try to get in there too. So I don't think it is not that nothing else is attracted to them, more that the ants keep everything else away.
Mine is still covered with flowers & buds. I agree with Laurrie about flushes, you may still get another wave.

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2005
11:02 PM

Post #1775821

LOL well Donna, I just didn't have enough hands to go around that day! It must have worked or mother nature did it for me, can't say 100% which way it came about.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2005
11:35 PM

Post #1775859

I'm putting my money on your finger. If mother nature was responsible there would be a whole lot more seedpods on everyones plants. :~)
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2005
1:08 AM

Post #1776001

you are probably right LOL *-*
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2005
5:00 AM

Post #1776333

Laurrie, that is really funny because for years at the first sign of blossoms on th tomato plants I go around and stick my finger in each one and do that until there are a lot of tomatoes on all plants.

Jeanette
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2005
12:41 PM

Post #1776620

Jeanette-
There is a post I did a while back discussing rooting in coir. I included some pictures of the coir and of the containers:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/489204/
Hope this helps.
-T
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2005
1:37 PM

Post #1776700

Jeanette, too funny, but you are right about doing that, sometimes we just have to help mother nature out a little bit :)

Great link Taylor!! I think I will try to start my grandmothers rose in that stuff!

~Laurrie
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2005
1:47 PM

Post #1776727

Hey Taylor,

Wonder if you could do us all a favor? Since you're talking about rooting in coir, please share with us the whole scenario you do when you buy your Bed-A-Beast. Way back, didn't you post something about soaking it and then putting it in the oven to pasteurize it? I couldn't find the post. Thanks, Barbara.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2005
4:15 PM

Post #1777038

Barbara-
look to the link, two posts above this one...

I just posted that link for Jeanette...;0)
-T
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1777161

Okay...I have read this thread again and I'm going out to stick fingers in blooms :)
Fog_in_the_Mist
Lordsburg, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2005
3:40 AM

Post #1780210

Well, here's a bit of seemingly trivial but actually useless information. I got three cuttings from Donna at Round Up and attempted to root them in sharp sand and rooting harmone. They promptly turned up their toes and checked out, I believe I heard them quietly screaming as they perished. Scratch off one method of rooting.

Fred
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2005
5:56 AM

Post #1780392

Well, when I brought my plant in for the winter, prior to putting it in the refrigerator, I am trying several different ways to start some plants.

One, I have taken 4 or 5 and put them in a zip-loc baggie in some polymer gel and wrapped a rubber band around it. Another I have taken some and put in coir in a zip-loc baggie with a rubber band around it. I still have some more I can try if anyone has any more suggestions.

Seedpicker told me that they would not make it in water. I know the polymer is probably just like water. We'll see. Let me know if you have some ideas.

Jeanette
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2005
9:42 AM

Post #1780457

Hi

I just love the look of this corkscrew vine. Does anyone know if it will grow in the UK. I have found the seeds on ebay US but no luck so far with ebay UK or UK seed sellers on the web. I would love to have a go at growing this.

Sue
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2005
11:14 AM

Post #1780486

With the snail vine, I have better luck rooting if the piece is from older area like where the vine is just starting to harden to wood. I have tried tip cuttings to no avail. Same with water. Just rots away. I have good luck taken older cutting and just putting it in plain old wet dirt, well drained, and keeping it wet. I'll try a piece of my corkscrew and see if it works for that one also.
Jan...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2005
10:49 PM

Post #1781447

Sure wish we could send you a plant Alrac. Seeds are pretty hard to come by. I have seeds for the Snail Vine and find it pretty easy to germinate. But it isn't the corkscrew. I got my plant from Parks this spring so it maybe isn't old enough to bloom??? Jeanette
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2005
12:30 AM

Post #1781618

DH climbed the ladder this weekend and I are going to try the coir you suggested seedpicker. I picked up 2 bricks and am hoping for the best. If it doesn't work (because I'm an ameture) it won't be a problem. They have been so easy to start from seed but a gardeners needs to play and experiment a little. Thank you for sharing all the great information about the coir. I love experimenting and learning.

Jnette, on your question about my landlady selling me the house. This was a large property which she gave a few acres to her son to build. Her son is my neighbor and a great one at that. He will be my future landlord. The only way this property sells, is if her son wants to sell and move. If and when it ever happens it will go for a large sum of money for the whole shabang. I don't have to worry about anyone coming in and building around us, so it is a great escape for us and I have never really worried about owning. I just look at it as another hassle that my kids will have the burden of when I am gone.

Also, from what I have read and my personal experience. If Parks started your plants by seed, it will depend on when they were started if they will bloom the first year. From my personal experience. We both have shorter growing seasons and this vine doesn't usually bloom for me until late august. We don't get much time for blooms but it is great to have them even for a short time. My vine has been in it's present spot since early spring and as we all see has been nicely growing but has only been flowering for a couple of weeks for me.
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2005
3:42 AM

Post #1781927

Well, I went out today to try Laurrie's method of pollination and guess what I found! A SEED POD! I hadn't even seen it before and there it was, big as life - so I guess the ants did do their job!

I think I messed up my other vines by spraying to try and get rid of the yellow leaves - that probably kept the ants off, too. Either that or those vines, which get direct sun during mid day, are just in too much sun here and are too hot to set seed or something. The vine with the pod is in complete (but bright) shade.

I started my current vines from seed this May and they started blooming in mid July, so they don't really take that long to start blooming.

YIPEE!

Onalee

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2005
3:59 AM

Post #1781957

Well, maybe I should have left mine for a bit. Oh well, there is always next year. Jeanette
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2005
7:59 AM

Post #1782080

Well, I have taken my first step to growing this plant, I have just won an auction on ebay US of 10 seeds, can't wait to see how I get on next year. I shall be reading all the tips on DG for germination and care with added enthusiam.

Sue
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2005
11:35 AM

Post #1782202

Onalee, that is great!!! Congrats!

Sue, I hope you get the true corkscrew vigna caracalla, I had seen 2 sets of seeds recently on there, and I am not sure they weren't the phsas. snail vine, the unscented purple variety.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2005
12:49 PM

Post #1782286

Sue-
Show us a picture of your seeds (with a penny, or something for size reference), and we can tell you which one you have. Snail vine seeds are about 1/4 the size of the corkscrew vine seeds...so they are easy to tell apart
-T
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2005
8:21 PM

Post #1785312

Hi

The Ebay vendor did have both varieties for sale but according to the descriiption, I have won the corkscrew (fragrant) one. When they arrive I will post a photo for you to see. By the way I see the same vendor has more of these seeds in auction (ebay vendor is smartseeds) in case anyone is interested. Just out of interest I read the hand pollination of this plant by Laurie and it gave me ideas to try the same with my cobaea I get some funny looks when I'm at the front of my house paintbrush in hand dabbing away flowere to flower but who cares if it works.

Great website so friendly and informative, I shall be adding to the plant files anything I may have growing in the Uk that is not already listed, just the thing on those cold winter days.

Sue
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2005
9:25 PM

Post #1785383

Sue - how wonderful!!

I hope the hand pollination works for the cobaea! It seemed to work for my vine.

I am glad to hear you will add things to plant files, that is wonderful.

Good luck with your seeds and let us know how they turn out for you :)

Laurrie
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2005
11:24 PM

Post #1785527

Laurrie : I went out there last week and stuck my fingers in a couple of blossoms and guess what... I have two tiny SEED PODS !! Is that wild or what...even though the one in the ground is huge with many blossoms and lots of bugs...there have been no seed pods.

Also interesting that if the blooms just fall off - thats it...but the pollinated blossoms making a pod hang by a thread for a bit :)
downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1785536

Where exactly do you stick your finger?I looked at several blooms the morning and could not find an opening or see the pollen.Although I have lots of ants I have no seed pods either and would love to have some.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2005
12:30 AM

Post #1785624

Go up to the posting by Ohiobreezy on the 5th, she took pics that will help. :~)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2005
4:38 AM

Post #1786046

That is so funny. Tomatoes are easier to pollenate. LOL

Jeanette
downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2005
9:55 AM

Post #1786190

O.K.
I will try again this morning.This time I will wear glasses so that I can see something.
Thanks
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2005
11:43 AM

Post #1786275

The pollen if it is ready is on the end of the "squirrelly" little tendril in the blossom. It really takes a more coordinated person than me to gently pull the blossom apart and unroll the "squirrelly" tendril and touch the end with pollen...many times I dont think they were ready but sometimes you will see the pollen rub off on your finger.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2005
12:08 PM

Post #1786290

Yeah Charlotte!!! Congrats, it is HARD to get coordinated fingers I know! But it's worth even a try! I am glad you got some seedpods :) Let us know if they hold on for you!!! Some of mine dropped after a few days, while others really hung on there!

Laurrie
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2005
1:12 PM

Post #1786386

Charlotte thanks for the tip about the flower hanging on by a thread, I have one like that on my cobaea now so I will keep a close wach for the seed pod.

Sue
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2005
5:49 PM

Post #1786797

Laurrie...FALL OFF...you mean they can fall off !!! rats :)

Since I am doing the "pollinating" I think I will spray sevin on the plant to protect it.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2005
8:02 PM

Post #1787009

I have STUPENDOUS NEWS!!!!
You do NOT need ants to pollinate corkscrew vines!
I had always read & been told that only ants pollinate these. But I can totally disprove that right now. I have a first-year vine in a pot with my centrosema and it has NEVER had an ant on it. I have kept the base of the pot & the surrounding area sprayed because this is the only place I can sit at face level with the plant & enjoy the flowers without being attacked by ants. Imagine my surprise when I went out & looked at it, after not paying it any attention for the last couple of weeks because of Roundups, and finding seedpods! And LOTS of seedpods too. The only thing I have seen on them is carpenter bees, flies, those little brown butterflies & the little things I call fly-bees (tiny little things that look like a cross between a fly and a bee). I did not even get around to trying the finger method that Laurrie talked about cuz I have been too busy! Needless to say, I will be eliminating all those darn ants from my flowerbeds next year. I have only put up with them and their aphid in the flowerbed corkscrews because I wanted seeds. I am a happy camper! :~)

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

September 28, 2005
8:08 PM

Post #1787019

OOOOH, that's great news.. Congrats and I am so happy for you. Yeah, those little flies are something else, I had never seen those around before. It is the fragrance that attracts them I think.
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2005
8:17 PM

Post #1787029

Congratulations Pudgymudpies I love that name. I'm very envious of the obvious sunshine in your photo.

Sue
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1787037

Thank you everyone, I am thrilled as you can probably tell. I really thought I was sacrificing seedpods in that pot. It must be my lucky spot/pot cuz I am getting centrosema seedpods for the first time too!
The best thing to me is being able to spray those ants in the flowerbed next year. We have soooo many ants & they are so destructive. I try to keep them away from the house, but have not gone after the ones in the beds. Now I can. Yippie!
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2005
11:03 PM

Post #1787275

Oh Donna!!!!! that is terrific news, now I won't have to go play in them anymore, geesh but that was time consuming LOLOLOL

I am sooo totally thrilled for you!!!!

and yes there is always a slight chance that some of the seedpods dont' make it but fall off :(
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2005
5:27 AM

Post #1787845

Yeah, Donna!!! I'm happy for yah!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2005
10:00 PM

Post #1790565

I was watering & looking at the corkscrew vine seedpods in the potted plant & I remembered seeing a praying mantis on there last month. So I started rooting around & darned if I did not find it! I don't know, of course, that its the same one, but it is possible. Only thing I cannot figure out is what its eating. There are no bugs of any kind on that plant. I always thought they were meat eaters but is it possible they are eating the nectar that exudes from those knobs? I know I had a couple of praying mantis in my inground corkscrew vine bed last year, but I never actually saw them on the corkscrew, only the hyacinth bean vine that was in with the corkscrew. (Maybe cuz of the attack ants. LOL)
Well whatever it is that is pollinating this corkscrew is doing a terrific job. This is the best crop I have ever had, even though it is only a first year plant. I did not even have this many pods on my 3 yr old inground vine last year. Really amazing! I just wish I knew what it was cuz I want more of them. LOL
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2005
10:58 PM

Post #1790655

Hi PudgyMudpies. Need your help. Bought a new vine today (Thunbergia Grandiflora Blue Sky) with a few buds starting to open. I think I'll like it alot.Looked it up under plant files and saw your posting with the leaf comparison and that's the one. Now can I pick your brain as to care. I'm in zone 8a/b so it's very likely it will be deciduous. Is it ok to plant it in the ground? Even though it says it can take full sun, I'd like to get it filtered a little since the FL sun is so-o-o hot and direct here. What do you think? Your help is always appreciated!
Barbara
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2005
2:54 AM

Post #1790940

Barbara,
I have my t. grandiflora in bright shade/filtered sun here in Central FL - the person I got the cuttings from had theirs in shade, so I planted the same and it's doing great - I'm not too sure that it can really take Florida FULL sun.

Onalee
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2005
11:36 AM

Post #1791367

WOW Donna, that is wonderful, so you think the praying mantis helped or that there were actually some kind of teeny bug on there doing the pollinating and the Praing mantis was eating those bugs???? How very interesting that there are more seedpods on that plant!!!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1791678

no, there are no tiny bugs on that plant. I don't know WHAT the mantis is eating, just speculating about the nectar. What ever pollinated these was flying or the mantis.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2005
6:21 PM

Post #1791820

very interesting!!!! Thanks for sharing this info with us Donna.
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1795465

Hi everyone

Well Charlotte you were spot on when you said that the pollinated flower hangs by a thread for a bit and then produces a seed pod, my Cobaea had a flower doing just that a few days ago and guess what when I looked today the flower has now dropped off but I can see a pod growing, I know what to look for now. I am still busy with my paintbrush dusting pollen from flower to flower.

Sue
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2005
12:40 PM

Post #1796744

Well...obviously..something pollinates these things but although my in ground vine was covered with ants, gnats, etc...no seed pods.

My containter plant I have tried to "pollinate" each flower myself and so far I have a pod on each bloom :)
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2005
8:25 PM

Post #1799270

Found more seeds today. This is one that is also in a pot, sharing with double blue clitoria. This was a pot I spray ant poison around too, but my neighbors trash cans are on the other side of the fence, hence, lots of ants. Twice they managed to get on the plant when a vine touched the fence. I quickly sprayed them all with soapy water & got them off, but the point of this is to say that I cannot say positively that the ants did not do the pollination. But I have several pods forming & I personally don't think there were enough ants on there long enough to have done it, but I cannot rule it out. It just got me thinking when I found pods on my "never been touched by ants" pot.
All I have seen on this plant, aside from the 2 ant breaches, are carpenter bees, lots of wasps, teensy flies and the little brown butterflies.
In all honesty I am getting a much better crop from these 2 pots then I am from the one in the ground. (I have another in the ground in a back corner but I never go back there so no idea what its doing).
The one in the ground is just a constant struggle to keep the aphid off that the ants bring. It is actually starting to look a bit ragged from all the abuse.
Personally, with Laurrie having such success with her finger pollinating, I cannot see any reason to even put up with the ants in the first place. Especially for those of you that have to bring your pots in for the winter.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 5, 2005
8:44 PM

Post #1799300

Just wanted to let you guys know that I tried using my finger on the regular snail vine and it worked, got three more pods.. just tried the three. Although I am heavy handed, I think I ripped all three flowers trying it, but it worked.

Boy do I wish I had tried it with the Corkscrew when it first bloomed, but I did not know what to do.

Dee, that pod looks great, hope you get tons of them..

TTYL
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2005
8:48 PM

Post #1799305

Congratulations Antoinette! I am so happy for you. :~) Yes, I wish you had done the the corkscrew too. But now we all know what to do next year, don't we? Thanks Laurrie!!!
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2005
12:13 AM

Post #1799655

LOL hey, I wanted to see the blooms and get to smell them, I never imagined I would get seeds, but after seeing so many pods drop and no sign of seedpods, I felt like I just HAD to experiment with them! I am so tickled to see everyone that is trying it, are actually getting results!@!!!

Here was photo from few days ago :)

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2005
12:15 AM

Post #1799659

Wow! Laurrie, that is huge!...way bigger than mine have ever been...
Congratulations!!
-T
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2005
12:34 AM

Post #1799690

Really?? must be from all that Messenger and alfalfa tea! LOL
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

October 6, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1799852

Yeah, Laurrie! Definitely bigger than mine...lol.
;) Donna
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1799866

LOL...Donna...(you don't have one, yet...lol...)
(but one is gonna be on the way)-T
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2005
4:53 AM

Post #1800160

Yeah, all of yours are bigger than mine. LOL Jeanette
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2005
11:50 AM

Post #1800371

Does anyone know how long it takes a seed pod to mature ?
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2005
11:55 AM

Post #1800378

I wish I knew how long to ripen, mine just keeps growing and staying green!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2005
2:07 PM

Post #1800526

I don't mean to make anyone cry, lol, but here in my zone there is not enough time before the first freeze to ripen. I picked mine green last year & ripened them inside on paper towels over the tv where it was warm. But the seeds were already formed inside, you could see them bulging on the sides. Those were the seeds I used to grow the 2 that I now have in pots & all the ones I gave away at RU. So no question as to viability. I am guessing that zone 10 or higher are the only ones that can leave them outdoors on the vine until they are ripe. :~(
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

October 6, 2005
5:35 PM

Post #1800839

I know one day soon.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1800938

Yikers, I do remember that Donna, I can at least bring the pots inside and hope they stay on long enough to ripen!
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2005
6:38 PM

Post #1800958

Well...I have 3. One in a big pot...one in a smaller pot and a big one in ground.

My plan is to overwinter the big pot inside...sorta like a houseplant but with less water and let it go semi dormant... store the smaller potted one in a dark closet (dormant) and dig up those taters on the big one so I will have some info on all 3 storage ideas.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2005
6:55 PM

Post #1800996

That is a great idea, try all ways and see which works best, please keep us updated and let us know which works (it not all of them) and what way was best.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2005
10:10 PM

Post #1801323

Charlotte, I think some people grow these as houseplants so I would not be surprised if there was no dormancy period. :~)
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2005
10:15 PM

Post #1801343

mine went dormant even in the greenhouse, with temps of 75-80 degrees...seemed they just "knew it was winter..."

...that is just my experience with them...

Hopefully, they perform differently for everyone else, lol...
-T
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2005
10:17 PM

Post #1801344

A friend who had one of mine over last winter in her greenhouse experienced the same thing, it went into dormancy, dropped all leaves, etc. This past spring she started with the fert and water again and it shot out the new leaves :)
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2005
2:12 PM

Post #1802566

I'm thinking...or hoping...that the small one will overwinter much like my mandevila vine. Just cant provide enough light and "whatever" in the house for it do GROW over winter...so it dies back and I water the pot very little until about early FEb.

I will keep you all posted on my success or lack of it :)
alrac
wolverhampton
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2005
9:26 PM

Post #1823646

Hi everyone

My corkscrew vine seeds arrived today from US, I have checked them for size against the seed pictures in PF and they are def corkscrew. Can someone point me in the right direction please, I am sure I read detailed instructions on germination of these seeds somewhere in one of the forums but now I can't find it.

Also I have read that Dave does not nick his seeds but puts them in water, I'm not really sure how or where to nick the seed or if it is necessary, I don't want to make a mistake as I only have 5 seeds.

Just an update on my hand pollination of my cobaea, it now has 25 to 30 seed pods maybe even more higher up that I can't see under the foliage, so the DIY has worked very successfully.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sue
jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1823734

That is great to know about the Cobea's. I will hand pollinate mine next year. I didn't get one pod off them this year.

Patricia
prettylady24
Calhoun, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2005
3:41 PM

Post #1827048

I have enjoyed all the info--and didn't nearly complete all -will this evening. I have two corkscrew in the ground that I am cutting back and digging up. Leaving them in the ground long enough for the seed pods to mature. Hope they do before we have chance of frost. I will just fix something to protect it somehow . This was the drawback to growing it on pergola. Here is pic of mine-I hope. Bugs got to it while I was sick and ate on leaves.

Peggy

This message was edited Oct 20, 2005 10:45 AM

Thumbnail by prettylady24

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2005
4:03 PM

Post #1827072

Peggy,
Hope mine look like that someday
Jan...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2005
5:15 PM

Post #1827235

Very nice. mine is going into the refrigerator today. LOL Jeanette
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2005
9:39 PM

Post #1827646

alrac,
I have done both the overnight soak in warm water & also the nick & soak in warm water. Both ways have worked for me. If I have to nick a seed, I take a pair of fingernail clippers & just nip the edge enough to get through the outer seed coat. Don't go deep, all you are doing is letting the warm water inside to speed up the process. I avoid the bellybutton, which is what I call the spot where the seed was attached to the pod.
Peggy,
really pretty! Can you imagine when the whole area is covered? :~)
Jnette,
are you talking about putting your corkscrew vine seeds in the fridge? They do not need cold stratification.
prettylady24
Calhoun, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2005

Post #1827886

Hon I live in zone 6 and I just planted this vine this spring. I came here because I was looking for info. I posted first message last night here--love this forum. I really have no idea what to do. No I wasn't talking about putting seed in fridge. I have never done cutting but am going to try. I just figured I would have to dig the plant up to keep from losing it when it freezes here in KY.
Do you know what their hardy tolerance is? I don't .
As far as getting it to grow and blossom--I just do it as I do everything else--just listen to it and I run energy on all my plants.

When I seen this plant is was just one I had to have..
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2005
12:09 AM

Post #1827948

Prettylady24, welcome to Daves Garden. I believe that the Corkscrew vine is listed as only hardy in zones 9 & up, but someone in zone 8 may have had success overwintering these in the ground... I am pretty sure you will have to dig yours up. :~(
the question about the seed in the fridge was directed at Jnette.
Hope you enjoy it here. :~)

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2005
12:45 AM

Post #1828033

No, LOL, not the seeds. The whole plant. I have no place to put it to go into dormancy. I either have a warm basement or out where it freezes so I struck on the idea of putting my Corkscrew, Snail, Begonias, and Dahlia tubers all in an extra refrigerator in the basement .

Jeanette
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2005
1:04 AM

Post #1828076

oh clever! Let us know how it turns out. Nice too that you can control the temp. Might be a bit of a shock to someone looking for a snack though. LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2005
4:52 AM

Post #1828481

Yes, but fortunately we only use it in the summer when we have people for weeks at a time.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1846708

Just updating the progress of my seeds to date, so far still huge and still green!!! they've been inside for quite some time, just finally starting to get some yellowed leaves and they are dropping, so maybe this will send it it panic phase and it will start ripening these seed pods!! still keeping fingers and all digits crossed here :)

~Laurrie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2005
3:51 AM

Post #1846731

How cold do you think I should keep the refrigerator? What temperature? Anybody???

Jeanette
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2005
4:09 PM

Post #1869858

The centrosema seedpods all turned brown & have been picked so I thought perhaps the corkscrew would be starting soon, but no brown in sight. I think I will end up picking them green like I did last year and drying them inside when the first freeze comes. But since I have such a big crop this year I will leave some out on the vine & use them as a test as to when they would turn & if they are viable next year.
Have you all brought yours inside or is it still outside & what is your seed status?
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2005
4:44 PM

Post #1869937

I ordered 2 vines late (Aug or Sept) in the year -- planted one in the ground and one for inside. The one in the ground gave me a few blooms and now is getting more foliage. Course, we've had a very warm fall. I'm going to leave it in the ground and see if it comes back. What do you think?? No seeds though since it's so young. The other one inside did give a few blooms that didn't do well and most buds fell off before blooming. I moved it to a window with better light so we'll see. I hope the one in the ground comes back if I mulch it very well.
Barbara
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2005
4:53 PM

Post #1869961

I left mine outside in its pot the first year, I remember pushing it under the eaves so the freeze would not get it, but it did fine. Once I put them in the ground I DID run out and throw a sheet over them when a freeze was forecast. This year I am not going to. I am gonna see what happens if I leave them alone. They are in 4 locations so it will be interesting to see if that makes a difference. Good luck with yours!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 11, 2005
10:10 PM

Post #1870517

Dee,
The centrosema here is still blooming and forming pods. I used the mesh from the fabric store (the stuff that is used for bridal veils) can't remember the name for the life me, anyway, cut it into square sections, then used the sections to wrap around each pod, used the bread ties to hold in place. I didn't tie them, just wrapped the bread ties around the cloth. What I plant to do when they are dry, is to use scissors and cut off the pods into a paper sack. But, this is what I was thinking after wrapping them with mesh, it seems that the mesh would protect the pods from the frost. What do you think?

I will be gone again for another couple of weeks or so during the Thanksgiving holiday and wanted to make sure I save some seeds.

Also covered a couple of pods on the regular snail vine using the same method. I don't know if it will work, but it may be worth a try. They will still get air to dry and protect them from splitting open. I was finding seeds all over the floor and losing alot of it.

I can hardly wait till spring now..
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2005
10:53 PM

Post #1870580

Hi Antoinette,
hope you have a good trip. :~)
Interesting with your "bags". Post your results and also, when will you get your first freeze, do you know?
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2005

Post #1871364

Well here in Ohio, my pots were brought inside, they are still green (seedpods) no sign at all of them wanting to ripen. The plant started drying and dropping leaves, but noticed just yesterday that the vines are growing again and leafing out!!! sooo I guess I am just going to leave the pods alone and see what happens.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2005
2:40 PM

Post #1871530

really! So maybe they don't need a dormancy period afterall? Interesting. I hope you will post updates and include your indoor care so we will know if it continues to thrive, and also if it does thrive all winter, how it performs next year without having gone dormant! Great experiment Laurrie! :~) Oh, and when your seedpods naturally ripen will ALSO be interesting!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2005
4:35 PM

Post #1871718

When I brought mine in it did the same as Laurie's. Minus the pods. Grew great guns for a while and then all of a sudden it lost most of its leaves just out of nowhere. Then started getting a little weak growth. That is when I cut it all off, left it sitting there for about 10 days. It did not try to put out any new growth but did stay green. I then put it in the refrigerator in the basement.

Jeanette
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2005
12:14 PM

Post #1894250

OK folks, update here, all my leaves have fallen from the vine - it looks really pathetic, but still has green, it's not dead, but if you didn't know it you sure would think it! LOL

soooooooo, yesterday kids were at kitchen table putting a puzzle together, I was in LR making a list for the store, next thing I hear something "tink tink tink" like kids dropped something from table, my daughter comes in and asked what I threw at them?????????????????????? OKKKKKKKKKKK, I told her I thought they had dropped something, she holds out her hand and shows me (what she thought I pitched in there at them) and its a seed!!!!!! I jumped so fast, it was a vigna seed!!! the beans had started to explode and were sending little seeds flying all over my kitchen!!! they ARE still green, but once I started checking them out some were hard and very dry, but still GREEN to the appearance, sooo we got the seeds picked up, gathered some old stockings and went to work covering the remainder of the seedpods, just tooo tooo funny, I was NOT expecting them to fly across the room, clear into the hallway and LR. but they did and they made their presence known!

so for all you folks who have them in the house, beware and cover them up, they may not look ripe, but if we hadn't been home - well lets just say we wouldn't have heard the seeds flying around and they'd have been swept up and not a thought given until I looked at the pods and found them all popped open LOL

so a safe bet for me here, would be right about turkey day, they ripened naturally, I've done nothing at all with these since I brought them in with the exception of a small drink of water once a month.

Go check your seedpods!!!! if we had carpet, we wouldn't have heard them hit the wood floors either!!

wooo hoooo :)
Laurrie
BDunn
Sunset Beach, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2005
2:17 PM

Post #1894373

Laurrie, that is too funny! I have this visual image of the kids ducking the pods as they're flying through the air! I left one of mine out in the ground and brought one in. It's been sickly looking, but now it is starting to grow again. I water it almost regularly. We'll see what happens with it. Both were tiny vines I bought this summer and I wanted to try one in and one out.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2005
7:43 PM

Post #1894712

Laurrie I can just imagine the look on your faces when they started really poppin, like having popcorn on the stove with no lid LOL
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

November 26, 2005
11:37 PM

Post #1894940

That's tooo funny...lol! I bet you were doing the happy dance!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2005
3:58 AM

Post #1895342

Hillarious!!! Fun. Jeanette
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2005
12:43 PM

Post #1895573

it was quite the funny thing seeing me take off flying into the kitchen I am sure LOLOL, but I think the funniest thing for me here was the kids thinking MOM was throwing things at them! har har, like I would even consider disturbing them while they were being soo very angelic like putting a puzzle together! tee hee ornery critters.

You are right though, I had heard before that someone said when their seeds ripened they "popped" open, I have seen my pink fuzzybean do that but it left the actual pods still hanging on the vine, and the seeds popped out, on this plant, one part of the pod was still hanging in the plant, the other was across the room and if had a very pointy end (bottom of it) goodness I can't imagine that thing sailing thru the air and nailing someone.

The things we learn while growing things!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2005
1:43 PM

Post #1895620

Too funny Laurrie, that will be a great memory for you all, especially since it would be SO out of character for you to do something like that to them...HARHAR
Seriously, that really is interesting. Mine are still outside on the vine and green. Guess I better pay close attention, huh? Fat black dog would have those seeds inhaled so fast that I would never know they popped. hehehe
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2005
9:04 PM

Post #1896137

LOL yeah, me throw stuff at THEM? har har, there are days though lol

Yours are still green even outside, I would think their "clock" would kick in and tell them to turn brown and ripen, did yours ever turn brown when you brought them in and dried with hairdryer, I can't remember what you said about that!!! Fat black dog, tee hee, too funny, you are right, I bet you'd never find them, she'd have them ate up so fast!

OK well Donna, check yours out and let us know about the hairdryer and what they looked like please.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2005
7:20 AM

Post #1896767

LOL, for all the time I sat out there and blew those dratted seeds with the hot air of the hair dryer, absolutely nothing came of it except DH thinking I was crazier then he suspected. LOL They were still green and plump when I brought them in and they took a long time to turn brown & dry out. I am going to have to do that again I think. We have been in the mid 30's at night & I don't want to chance it, especially since I know from last year that they will be perfectly viable picked green & dried inside.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2005
3:30 PM

Post #1897095

too funny!! but you are saying that eventually the pods turned brown? my pods are green, not brown and they are fully developed little seeds inside that green pod. interesting!!!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2005
12:37 AM

Post #1898016

yes, mine turned brown but I never opened a green one to see if the seeds were ripe. Do you suppose it had anything to do with your seedpods still being on the plant?
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2005
11:50 AM

Post #1898620

I really can't say, but they were nail hard the shells, and man alive did those seeds fly thru the air!!!!!!!!! NOT the pods mind you, gosh, imagine those hard things - it would feel like an arrow hitting ya.

I wonder if there is anyone here who had pods ripen on the vine that can tell us, didn't Dave have the first listing in Plant Files? maybe we could write and ask him whatever came about with his seeds and if they were brown or green when they were ripe??????
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2005
9:06 PM

Post #1899322

Oh Laurie...what a laugh...I came looking for this thread to say that my two pods are still green and I wonder if they will ever ripen...now I have to run upstairs and see whats happening...

I'm back...:) nothing happening yet..they are still green but you can see little seed shapes in the pod. I gently pulled a pantyhose foot up on them...sure glad I read your post. This plant is quiet a hoot...
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2005
11:56 AM

Post #1900681

Charlotte - yes those pantyhose are a must LOL adn you are right from start to finish, this plant is quite entertaining!!!

Laurrie
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2005
2:27 AM

Post #1901945

To funny Laurrie.

Hubby cut down my pods a while back and thanks to your suggestion, I have the stems i a cup of water and all is still going great with them. I lost a couple of smaller pods but not many and the rest are plumping up. I think I will be picking up some of the nylon footies over the weekend. I did peek into one pod (green) since I had so many. The seeds were still green but pump and firm. After taking them out of the pod, I layed them out on my desk to dry a little and within a couple of hours the green seeds turned brown and were hard just like the ones I have purchased before. I am going to experiment with sowing them over the weekend and see how well they so.

Not one stem has a leaf left on them but a couple are taking root in the water with just pods on them. I supose I should keep some notes for next year.

Dott
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2005
11:49 AM

Post #1902389

Dott - that's terrific, yes please do take notes!! this is all so new and interesting to learn every little bit there is to learn about this gorgeous vine.

Please let us know if those seeds that were green, now dried to normal hard and brown, let us know if those germinate, sooo curious!!!

Thanks for posting and please keep us all updated.

Laurrie
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2005
3:50 PM

Post #1902710

Will do. I am just waiting on my order of seed sponges to arrive. Hopefully they will be here today.
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2005
11:10 PM

Post #1909743

Reporting back.

My seed sponge order arrived the same afternoon I posted. I didn't have time to soak the seeds before sowing because I was siked about trying my own first harvest of these and to tell you the truth I wasn't expecting much. Well, sown date was 12-1-05 afternoon and sprout date was 12-5-05 morning. Yes, they started to sprout for me already. Now I know it is ok to pick those plump green pods. Here is a pic I took just a little while ago.

Thumbnail by dottnmd

dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2005
11:11 PM

Post #1909744

and another

Thumbnail by dottnmd

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2005
3:30 AM

Post #1910142

Way to go!!! I bet you've been jumping for joy!
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2005
11:23 AM

Post #1910382

Congrats!!!! Dott that is wonderful news under 5 days to germinate and with green pods.

I came here to update too: yesterday I checked the hose covered pods and just about all had "popped open" inside the hose, I think like 2 seedpods haven't opened up on their own, so it doesn't take too long once they are inside, would have to dig back thru the thread to see when I first found seedpods and calculate :)

Congrats to everyone, we can keep this vine growing happy!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2005
6:01 PM

Post #1910879

Dott, what is the seed sponge and where did you get it? Do you soak it in water or some mix? Very interesting. Good for you.

Jeanette
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2005
6:51 PM

Post #1910947

Jeanette, seed sponges are an alternate to soil. I love them because I have lost so many seeds to rot or to drying out and these really help. They are real easy and in expensive. I have bought several sizes from Parks Garden website. I really love the little Parks Starts though. I just reorder the sponges when I get low. These are great for propagation also. I have rooted lots of plants this way. Here is a link (if I got it right) to Parks on the one I generally use for my seeds.

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=6701&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text Search&SearchText=parks starts&OfferCode=S1H
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2005
8:11 PM

Post #1911049

There are some good threads from the past that should answer questions regarding rockwool & sponges.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/411784/
and
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/414786/
and
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/415897/

hope that helps! :~)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2005
12:54 AM

Post #1911496

Well, I've tried the Rockwool, had some good luck and also lost some seeds. All Brugs. Think I will stick with Blaine's method. He does insist on bottom watering tho no matter how you go.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2006
11:19 PM

Post #1960978

Has everyone with seedpods brought theirs in? I picked mine green around the first of Dec & just today finished opening all the pods. Most of the pods had hardened and turned black, but some were still green. I was rather disappointed at how many "dud" seeds were inside. Shriveled and too small, probably not viable. I would say 1/2 were like this. I don't remember my harvest last year having that many duds, but my memory is not the best...
Looking forward to hearing how everyone else did. :~)

I
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2006
12:42 PM

Post #1961811

I would take the duds and mass plant them in large pots and see what comes up. You may get germination on some and won't have to waste pots on individual duds. Someone sent me about 20 good viable seeds and a bag of about 150 undersized seeds on the dry side.
I soaked some overnite and overplanted in a large pots and did get a few to sprout.
You never know.
Jan...

This message was edited Jan 9, 2006 7:52 AM
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #1962075

hmmm, good advice, I would not have thought to do that. Thanks!
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006

Post #1978389

Hi Everyone- Been reading this thread and I learned alot! I had to have this vine last year, so ordered it from Parks.Of the 5 seeds that I started all sprouted [ nicked them before planting] but only three lived long enough to pot up. I put them in a large pot next to my patio post, and they shot up fast!

Started to bloom late summer, and like someone else said,noticed the ants right off.Looking closer,I saw that this vine had 'nectaries' just like my Passiflora [the little bumps] so had to plead with my DH to not kill the ants [why do men hate ants so much?] Now I have three seedpods still on the plant,but I'll be bringing them in today since I don't want them to pop open!
I will hopefully have seeds to share...thanks for all the great advice from everyone!!
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006

Post #1978391

Hi Everyone- Been reading this thread and I learned alot! I had to have this vine last year, so ordered it from Parks.Of the 5 seeds that I started all sprouted [ nicked them before planting] but only three lived long enough to pot up. I put them in a large pot next to my patio post, and they shot up fast!

Started to bloom late summer, and like someone else said,noticed the ants right off.Looking closer,I saw that this vine had 'nectaries' just like my Passiflora [the little bumps] so had to plead with my DH to not kill the ants [why do men hate ants so much?] Now I have three seedpods still on the plant,but I'll be bringing them in today since I don't want them to pop open!
I will hopefully have seeds to share...thanks for all the great advice from everyone!!
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
4:53 PM

Post #1978402

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #1978502

Hi Kimmers, we are neighbors! :~)
Congrats on yours success with these. Did you just love the smell, or what??
I can totally relate to your husbands hatred of ants, I think our subdivision rests on 1 giant anthill, lol, and now that I know I don't need the ants for pollination, I am gonna be really vigilant with my ant control this year.
Watch the California Forum, I will be posting soon for our 2nd annual Stockton RoundUp. I hope you can come!
Donna

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2006
6:24 PM

Post #1978663

I gave up trying to read this whole thread just to find an answer to one question, so please bear with me if it has already been answered. I live in a cool climate but would love to try these vines. It doesn't warm up here until July. Can I start a snail vine now (January 15) and transplant it outside when things warm up or will it be too big to transplant? I have a small greeenhouse.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2006
7:02 PM

Post #1978777

Woodspirit do you mean a Snailvine or a Corkscrew? Last year I started a Snailvine before I knew the difference and it went crazy in the house, I'm zone 5, and I had to keep cutting it back. I finally got it outside in the pot but didn't have anywhere to put it in the ground. I soon discovered it wasn't the one I wanted so I ordered a Corkscrew plant from Parks. It did ok but did not bloom. There again, I did not have a place to put it in the ground.

I now have both of them cut back, in pots, in a spare refrigerator. I do not know what I am going to do with them if they make it. After seeing some of them on this thread, growing up chimneys, I don't think it is feasible for me to keep digging these things up every winter.

I notice that you are in zone 7. I wonder why you couldn't mulch the roots real heavy in the winter and the top would die back, but I would think it would grow back.

What do the rest of you think? Any advice for Woodspirit?
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
7:15 PM

Post #1978811

This is a good time to start them, you will be assured of getting blooms if you do. They did not get too big for me, they stayed fairly small until I was able to put them outside and when the hot weather got to them that is when they took off.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
7:24 PM

Post #1978827

double entry

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 12:32 PM
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #1979551

I agree with PudgyMudpies. Start them now to get late summer blooms. They really don't take off growing like gangbusters intil they are 5 months and really warm weather. The pics I posted above were in early dec and those plants are now only 8 inches high under good lighting. The best advice that was given to me was to start seeds really early for first year blooms and do not overwater this vine.

Dott
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2006
6:14 AM

Post #1980174

Maybe I will take mine out of the refrigerator now then. I have it in a 10 or 12 inch shallow pot. Like 6 inches deep. Do you think I should repot it?

Jeanette
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2006
10:41 AM

Post #1980245

I have 9 started already. They're about 8 in. tall.
Jan...
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2006
11:11 AM

Post #1980257

Jeanette,

I wouldn't worry about taking it out until it is closer to spring. Yours will do fine to take out in the spring when the temps get warmer. Mine did great last year when I brought it out of cold storage in march-april. First year seedlings are the ones that really need an early start to get going when the weather warms.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #1980947

Thanks, it is hard to remember this is still only January with this freaky weather we are having this year. My Butterfly Bush is all leafed out already and now it is back to freezing at night time again. It'll probably kill it.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #1981606

I thought corkscrew vine and snail vine were the same thing. I will check the PlantsFiles. I also ordered the corkscrew vine from Park's yesterday. Since our spring and summer tend to be rainy and cooler than most southern areas, I will start them in the GH first. Thanks for the help.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #1982239

My original seeds came from park seed years ago & they have always labeled theirs correctly. The cream flower with the purple edges and fragrant is the corkscrew-vigna caracalla. The solid purple non-fragrant is snail vine-phaseolus caracalla. Several places online are selling seeds & have mixed the names up. Some places even list the solid purple as fragrant, but they are not. I have seen many unhappy people posting that they bought what they thought was the corkscrew vine only to grow it & find out it is the snail vine. :~(

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2006
11:32 AM

Post #1982437

well, I'm glad I ordered this one from Park then because it says corckscrew vine and fragrant and the pictures shows the variation in color as it's supposed to. Thanks for the tip though.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2006

Post #1990577

Donna,
Remember a ways back I suggested mass planting your vigna "duds". Well I took about a dozen last week that were way undersized or dried out looking and put them in a small 4 inch pot. It's hard to see with the humidy on the dome but here is one that germinated so far. I didn't nick or pretreat or anything. just planted, covered and put under the light.
You can even make out where I wrote "vigna rejects" on the pot in case nothing came up. LOL
Jan...

Thumbnail by budgielover

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2006
4:17 PM

Post #1991056

wow, good job! I did as you said & left the duds in the bag. I am going to be starting a few soon for my neighbor and will throw some duds in along with the good. You have given me inspiration. :~)
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2006
6:40 PM

Post #1991379

Yes 12 down about 100 to go. LOL I may just do up a whole tray of 4 inch pots and plant them all at one time and see what comes up.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #2018798

if anyone has any "spare" seeds I would love to have a couple of the corkscrew-vigna caracalla. I have some seeds I could trade or will be happy to do SASE
flowerette
Alvin, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #2019733

I would also love to have seed of the corkscrew vine. I have purple wandering verbena seed as well as many of the easier seeds to grow which you may already have. I will be glad to list them if anyone wishes. I could also send a SASE.
A Happy Gardening Heart to all,
Carol
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2023395

I've got four seed pods off my vigna,finally picked them a few weeks ago and two have turned brown and hard,while two are still a soft green.Not sure if any are viable,but willing to share for sase.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2033598

This is what a 1 yr old vigna looks like under the ground. Kind of freaked me out, I have never dug one up before. It was in a tree pot, so what, 15 gallon? Anyway, needed to get it off the deck because we are taking it apart so I dug this puppy out to move to the flowerbed. They look like giant figs! I should have put something there for perspective but did not think about it, DH had to get the camera & my hands were dirty so I wanted him to take it, and amongst the sighs, lol, I was lucky to even get the picture. LOLOL
The deck boards it is laying on are 6 inches if that helps.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2006
2:59 AM

Post #2034149

That is interesting. Are you familiar with the Brugmansia forum? Do you know how Monika in Germany does her Brugs? In the double pots? She uses a 5 gal. pot with 2 inch holes cut out all over it and then planted in the 20 gallon pots. Then in the winter she digs up the 5 gallon pot and puts inside for the winter. I wonder if these could be done that same way? It is much easier digging up a 5 gallon pot than moving a 20 gallon.

If those giant "figs" grew outside the 5 gallon pot why couldn't they be cut off? And than potted for a new plant.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2034167

I wondered about the cutting off of the figs too, it seems to me I saw somewhere that places were selling them (tubers) so I guess that means that I could have cut off the tubers and gotten a plant from each one? But seriously, I did not really even want to put this one in the ground, but will no longer have a deck to keep it on. I already have a couple in the ground, they don't die here so I don't have to dig them out, they just act like perennials. I shudder to think how many tubers are on the inground ones! LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2006
4:45 AM

Post #2034414

Sounds like my dahlias in Seattle. I didn't dig them either and finally someone said they would help me if they could have starts. Since I had felt kind of guilty not digging and dividing the plants I went ahead and did them. One plant filled a wheelbarrow. Each plant did that.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
10:38 AM

Post #2034594

Amazing J nette. My u ncle used to raise dahlias in Conneticut and showed them in NYC. He had many, many framed ribbons in his living room . I have the slides of these dah lias and some are so old that they are made of glass.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2035734

I've never heard of that. Really interesting. Dahlias are great flowers but I now live where they have to be taken in in the winter so last year I got the bright idea to plant them in pots and set them on my deck or out in the flower beds, or wherever. I just didn't put them in big enough pots. This year will be different.
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2036087

Jnette - Your comment about big enough pots caught my attention. This year I plan to put a smaller dahlia (about 20" in height) in a pot. I was thinking a 10 or 12" pot. Do you think that will be big enough?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2006

Post #2036172

For a 20" plant a 12 inch pot should be big enough. You know, I just thought of something. Unless you want a decorative pot, you can get the pots like 3 or 5 gallon pots. Black. Remember the sun heats up black, but I get mine at the hyddroponic store for around $3 for the 5 gallon. I think the 3 gallons are like $1.95.

Maybe I will try that. Because Dahlias are my favorite plants. I took the tubers out of the pot, soil, and dried them then just put them in a grocery sack and put them in the refrigerator. The spare one in the basement. With the corkscrew vine.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2006
11:50 PM

Post #2036185

So does anyone know about these Corkscrew tubers? I am curious if they would each produce another plant, if all the tubers can be removed or if 1 must stay on in order for the existing plant to live, and if they are each a plant, I wonder why mine that has been in the ground all this time has never sent up new shoots?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2006
5:28 AM

Post #2036933

PudgyMudpies, I think for them to start a new plant they would have to have an "eye". Like a dahlia. That is strange that they never have sent up any new shoots. I wonder if, now that you have disturbed the plant, if it will do that when you replant it. I wonder if it would hurt the plant to cut all of those "figs" off before you plant it. They must be storing something the plant needs like water or food?

This is getting pretty gruesome and I am about to go to bed. I do tend to have nightmares. nite.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2006
2:50 PM

Post #2037416

What a great discovery, PudgyMudpies! You always try cutting off one or two and sending them to someone who doesn't have any and see what happens.
;) Donna
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2006
4:58 PM

Post #2037685

Surely, there must be someone out there that knows. BUT, as Donna says it would be a good experiment. I wouldn't cut them all off. They just must be storing something the plant needs. Very interesting.

I think when I decide to start mine again like take it out of the refrigerator, I am going to put it in a bigger pot and see what is on the ends of those roots. I'll bet in the pot they don't have those things. Not even little ones. So, if they don't, then what are the big ones using them for?

I don't know if mine in the pot had more than one "trunk", more shoots, or what. Can't remember.

How tall did yours get in the pot on the deck? I was thinking I could put one in a muck bucket which is 19 gallons on the deck. Maybe I could even do like I said with the 5 gallon pot and then take that out of the muck bucket in the winter and store it in a trash bag like I do my brugs.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2006
3:14 PM

Post #2790958

I have gotten several questions on this vine this fall, so thought I would bump this informative thread back up for the newer folks :)
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2791631

I really like mine, it's in it's second year in a pot on my patio. It dies back in mid Winter, then comes back full force mid Spring. It's just about done flowering and I'm starting to see seed pods, very happy about that because I want lots of seeds for trade! The only 'bad' things about this vine is the ants that crawl all over the blooms [I think it aids pollination so I leave them alone] and the blooms don't last very long, just a couple of days, but they are very pretty and have a wonderful scent!
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2791662

Mine is still blooming some, and lots of pods. Ants were at their worst this year to the point that I was fighting them and their crops of aphids daily.
They won. LOL

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2006
7:21 PM

Post #2791666

Wah! I want ants!
Jan...
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2006
7:26 PM

Post #2791677

LOL careful what you ask for Jan!
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2006
3:00 PM

Post #2793890

How long does it take for seedpods to mature? I just noticed my first one, which is about 2 inches long now and still very young and green. I did not readily see the question and answer in the verbs above, so if it is there, please forgive. Have a great day!

Joseph
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2006
3:35 PM

Post #2793949

This is my first seed with a pod also. I know from what I've read, that there is not enough time in the northern climates for it to completely mature on the vine. There is someone here that brings there's in and lets them finish ripening inside but I don't know if they pring in the whole plant or just pick the pods while they are green.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2006
3:44 PM

Post #2793962

They get pretty long Joseph, like 6-8 inches. I wait until there is a freeze forecast and then I run out and pull off all the green seedpods and lay them in a box and every couple of days reach in the box and move the pods around so they don't rot. I had 88 seedpods (not counting the 25 I later found over the fence in the neighbors yard that had gone through a couple freezes and were still fine) so laying them out flat was a space problem. We don't heat our house in the winter, so as Laurrie said in another thread about these, that is why mine need to be pried open once they turn brown and hers explode and make her kids think she is throwing things at them. LOLOL
Donna
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2006
4:26 PM

Post #2794028

I have mine in a small container, so I'll be able to bring it in if I can extract the vines off the trellis. Thanks for the information!!

Joseph
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2006
4:33 PM

Post #2794039

Laurrie brings her whole plant inside, trellis and all and lets it keep blooming indoors. Can you imagine the smell??? Forget about potpourri!! lol
I take it your trellis is not portable?
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2006

Post #2794085

No, it is gigondo in shape and size. I will use a smaller one next year. Yes the smell is absolutely intoxicating!
ClaytonDT
Waco, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
2:42 AM

Post #2795546

Hi everyone, I have a question about corkscrew vine? This was the first year I had grown this vine It had the small tiny ants on it at first before it began blooming but the larger ants took over and ran off the smallers ant. The larger ants were there all the time while it was in bloom. I was sure I wasn't going to have any seed pods, but I notice another type of insect in the and around the flower blooms that the larger ant didn't bother them. They sort of look like some kind of gnat. At this time I don't have any blooms left but I do Have quite a few seed pods. Here is my question, how long does it take for the seed pod to ripen and how long does these seed pods get. I have some right now 5 or more inches long.

Clayton

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2795551

Wow I finally got a bloom out of mine. I started this from seed back last fall and thought it was never gonna take off. Pam gave me the seed and I was just thrilled to get one to germinate and make it to a one gallon pot. You can imagin how I felt when I saw the bloom starting...Yippppeeee and it was just beautiful, now I am waiting on the next one. Hopefully it will bloom again this fall ...

:O)

Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2795561

and the same bloom later...fully opened and turning an orangy color...this was soo pretty and I can't wait to see more of them bloom

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2797015

Clayton, your gnat-like insect is a flying aphid come to feed and lay eggs, the ants will not bother it because they will raise the baby aphid and milk them, so they will take really good care of them. One solution that I use that you might want to try, get a spray bottle full of water and add about a tablespoon of dish soap, you can safely spray the plant and kill the aphids/ants and pretty much any other bug you want including whitefly. If you do this on hot days in full sun, rinse it off a few minutes after you spray and they are dead, otherwise you will burn the leaves. If it is cool out, I do not rinse, but that is up to you.
The seedpods get around 6-8 inches long for me, but I harvest them green before first freeze so no idea if they would get longer if left on the vine. Try to leave them on as long as you can and then pick them, bring them inside and put them in a paper sack to dry, moving them around every couple days so they don't mildew. when the pods turn brown and hard they will either burst open themselves or you can open them and collect your seeds.

Congrats Dee, did you get to smell it?
ClaytonDT
Waco, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2797057

Thanks Donna, yes the smelled wonderful. I had my growing on a trellis bench I bought at the first of spring. They covered it very well. I have another question do I cut them back or let them stay on the trellis during winter?

Thanks,
Clayton

This message was edited Oct 8, 2006 3:59 PM
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
4:48 PM

Post #2797064

Clayton,
I just leave mine alone and in the Spring I pull all dead vines off the trellis.
Hope that helps :~)
Donna
ClaytonDT
Waco, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006

Post #2797071

Thanks Donna, very much for you help.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2006 3:58 PM

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
8:52 PM

Post #2797606

No Donna I didn't cause it was up to high and was even hard to get a photo. I hope to get to smell it next time.
Dee

;o)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 8, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #8959407

Bumping thread for informational purposes..
TKS Dee,
A.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9040282

Glad for the bump. :)

I tried to start from seed this year received in trade and lost them somehow - all 3.

Could I interest someone in a trade for seeds or cuttings? I would just love to try this plant - it is fascinating to me.

Thanks for your consideration!

~Amanda
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9040472

I finally got some seeds but haven't started them yet. If I have any luck Amanda, I'll send cuttings. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Robyn

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9040753

Fingers crossed! I received those 3 seeds in my Newbie envelope when I joined last year - who knows how old they were, but just the same . . .. -sigh-

Good luck with yours.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9041634

I'm going to plant four seeds and hope for the right kind of ants. I'm hoping that this year the weather is similiar to last year and if so we may be able to set seed. I got to say though, after reading everything and everyones comments, I feel like I'm getting ready for a flight to the moon, not planting seeds.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9041654

Ha ha - I was surprised to read that people kill the ants when the ants are needed for pollination!

Shouldn't Mother Nature take care of it all?!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9047944

Hi all, I have read alot on how to start the seed and now my head is spinning. Do I put them in the fridge? How long? After that, do I soak them? How long? After that I nip the seed, some people have suggested that trying to pull off a little more of the skin. After all this is done, do I direct seed into the ground? I want to do this right. Thanks, Robyn

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9048076

Ha - Robyn I thought if I had read less about it I might not have killed the 3 seeds I had in trade.

Good luck!!!

A.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9048885

Im looking for some seed of this. I had some and planted them but for some reason they just didn't come up and I don't have anymore. Anyone that may have some I would be greatful to trade or pay postage.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9053816

Here is how I start mine .. Both the Snail and Corkscrew Vine are hard coat seeds and have a long shelf life (over 5 years) if stored properly. I take cuticle scissors or toenail clippers and cut slivers off of the edge about half way around the seed .. the operative word here is SLIVERS - you want to cut enough of the seed coat off to see the white embryo inside .. I then just plant it about a half an inch deep in the soil .. keep the soil moist but not soaking wet. They should come up in a few days.

They don't need soaking if you nick them nor do they need cold.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 9:12 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9054677

Thank you so much.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9059712

I found some seed here and they say they are instock. I think it's a bit pricy since it is 5 seed for 5.75. But since I can't find seed anywhere else I'm going to order them

http://parkseed.com/fragrant-corkscrew-vine/p/02088-PK-P1/

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9059764

I saw Burpee carried them too. Price is the same since it's a "rare" seed. Shipping will get you to ten bucks.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9060215

They are expensive not because they are rare but because seeds are hard to come by .. if you don't have the right insects (ants don't really pollinate them - they just protect them) and I don't know which ones are the "right" ones, you have to part the petals in a very specific way in order for the pistil & anthers to appear and hand pollinate. Even by hand pollinating your lucky if you get 1 out of 5 to take.

This picture is of the Snail Vine .. the mechanism is the same.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum   Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9061312

This is the total of my order so the shipping is a bit cheaper than the other company.

Item Total

$5.75
Estimated Tax
$0.00
Shipping
$4.95
Order Total
$10.70
So like I said it is a bit pricey. Especially if none of them make it. LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9061362

Thanks for all of this information. I hope next time not to kill the seeds next time. ;)

A.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9086123

Wow, Xeramtheum. What great info and detailed photos. A few years ago, I grew these from seed that I bought but had no idea what was involved in pollination. Thanks.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9086164

The easiest way for me to keep these year to year is save the tuber. These are pale and sort of resemble roots from plants from the Daucus genus only thickest in the middle, tapering from both ends. I pull mine up, put it in a brown paper bag and put it on a shelf where it gets cold but not freezing in late October or early November. Start them into growth in early spring. I kept the same plant about 6 years this way once and finally let it go. Last year I started from seed again and have a plant growing from last fall's tuber now. Easy peasy and they bloom more quickly than seed grown plants. I have never tried dividing the tuber...
That could be interesting. Has anyone done that?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9118041

I wanted to add my observations about seed starting this plant.

I think I mentioned that I'd received some seed in my newbie envelope - no idea how old it was, but I killed them all after I nicked the seed coat. All 3 seeds rotted.

Next, a friend shared a packet of seed from Burpee. I did what it said to do on the package - "plant in full sun after danger of frost." Nothing from 4 seeds.

Another DG friend shared 5 seeds with me. For hers, I poured boiling water on the seeds which cools by itself shortly and let them sit overnight in that same water as if it were any other seed that called for soaking before planting. Some people I've talked to have questions about this method - I did too, but it's as simple as it sounds.

I did not nick the seed coat. No other special treatment except I used a very fine seed starting mix. I kept the seed container in a south facing window and had all 5 seeds sprout within 10 days.

I went back and pulled the Burpee seeds and treated them to the boiling water overnight soak. I re-planted them in the same container which had an organic potting mix. A single sprout within a week or so. I went in and dug up the remaining seeds after a few more days. One seed was as hard as the day I planted it. Another seed was bloating and probably rotting. The last seed had a nice long root, but the seed coat had not freed itself and no sprout forthcoming. The seed looked yellow and sickly, not like the others that sprouted.

Besides the boiling, I think the seed starting mix vs. the potting soil and probably planting too deeply are the culprits in the failure to thrive of the Burpee seeds and my newbie seeds.

I now have 6 very vigorous seedlings, and I am waiting to see what happens to the 3 Burpee seeds which I replanted AGAIN (third time's a charm?) in the seed starting mix.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9118273

Boiling water .. hmmm .. sounds scary but it's obviously successful! I might try that on some of my passiflora seeds that don't want to germinate.
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

May 14, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9123035

I tried soaking and nicking my seeds last year with no success. This year I just threw them in seed starting mix alongside my other seeds and both germinated. It took the first seed 3 weeks to germinate and the second took 5 weeks. Both are thriving now.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9386300

hi all-
have been away for a while, but i'm back, and want to correct something i said many years ago. I originally said that ants are the pollinators. That is what I had been told, so sadly passed that MIS-information along.

I apologize.

I actually saw the carpenter bees pollinating them, and watched very closely as they went to work just inches away from my face. They press into the center of the flower, and that causes the stigma to come out of the spiral and brush against the pollen on their backs.

I watched this over and over and had record amount of seed produced that year, thanks to the carpenter bees.
So sorry If I accidentally misled anyone. I was going on what I thought was good information told to me at the time, but leave it to nature to set me straight.

There are definitely lot of ants interested, but they are probably just after the nectar. Ants are not large enough to press in and lift that spiral high enough for the stigma to come out,

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9387716

Good to know. I have 3 now in for the winter that I started from seed last spring. Only one got big enough to bloom. They are sending out new growth now so I'll be eager to get them back outside.

Does anyone keep it inside as a houseplant/tropical?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America