-
AuthorContent
saggitta
Birchington
United Kingdom

September 9, 2005
9:48 AM

Post #1748611

I 've just got back from Jersey CI and brought back a bag of the 'tall' Jersey lilly bulbs, what is their correct name please & how deeply do I plant them, they made a spectacular show over there! Many thanks Ann
Baa

September 9, 2005
9:59 AM

Post #1748614

Welcome to DG Saggita!

Jersey lily could be either Nerine sarniensis http://images.google.com/images?q=nerine%20sarniensis&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=safari&rls=en-us&sa=N&tab=wi or Amaryllis belladonna http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=amaryllis+belladonna&btnG=Search

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

September 9, 2005
10:22 AM

Post #1748623

H i there
If you have a Nerine , do not plant them to deep, they like To be a bit exposed,
Although mine flower in the shade.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/90419/index.html

sueone
Weymouth, Dorset
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2005
6:02 PM

Post #1749289

Hi Saggita, bet Jersey was beautiful, not been there, been to Guernsy loads of times though.Where is Birchington?is it near the coast?

What a fantastic colour bootandall, I always thought they were only pink, checked out baas link too, and see they come in a variety.

Another plant I've tried and lost, though according to the books my front garden should be perfect for them. I use Agapanthus instead, they seem to thrive there.Hot and dry.

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

September 11, 2005
8:01 AM

Post #1752154

thanks sueone , I was very lucky they where here, when I brought the place, some very nice fine white Nerines are also here, and the pink . they like to be dry when dorment,
saggitta
Birchington
United Kingdom

September 11, 2005
10:15 AM

Post #1752171

Thanks everyone! Birchington is on the North Thanet coast, near Margate, in Kent. Excellent growing area for all sorts as have sea on 2 sides but the wind is a killer. Can grow most of the plants mum grows in Devon, excellent hunting-ground down there too

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

September 11, 2005
10:47 AM

Post #1752187

Hope they grow ok for you. I have just looked , with a torch, and found a few seeds of the White one I have, Not sure how they send, does anyone want them

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other European Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Sweet Peas what is the English Secret? gardendragon 22 May 1, 2009 4:40 AM
where are you? mark 265 Apr 18, 2009 12:30 AM
calling all Irish gardeners mark 53 May 18, 2011 6:49 AM
Old Address in Edinburgh Dinu 7 Mar 26, 2013 10:31 AM
What's occuring in the backyard? Baa 201 Jun 2, 2007 12:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America