Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daturas: Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'?

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 20, Views: 355
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 13, 2005
5:28 AM

Post #1755924

Hello!

These interesting Daturas are now blooming up a storm in my yard. I started them from seed last April, with the understanding that they were 'Black Currant Swirl'. Is that true?

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 13, 2005
5:38 AM

Post #1755929

Another flower picture, from a different angle...

The flowers are very heavy and solid - they almost look to be plastic - and are also very fragrant/odiferous.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN

Servants_heart
Laurens, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2005
3:12 PM

Post #1775001

Yup that is it!! Very pretty and lovely fragrance too!! Unfortunately in my garden it is simply too hot even out of direct sun so my flowers only last one day each. So now instead of lovely, fragrant blooms I have 3-4 seed pods forming!! Bonnie
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2005
6:46 PM

Post #1810436

Erick,
those are beautiful !! I have some seeds like that and your picture just wants me to plant them today with some of my Daylily seeds I am doing today.
HOW long do they take to germinate ?
Thanks,
Brigitte
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

October 11, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1810460

Hello Brigitte.

I agree, they are very beautiful flowers. I found the seeds quite easy to germinate. As I recall from last spring, they were out of the ground within a week at the most. Next year, I will probably start them indoors at the end of April for planting outdoors at the end of May.

Good luck with your planting!

Erick
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

October 11, 2005
7:34 PM

Post #1810501

gorgeous, erick. makes me want to start seeds, too, but it's fall already...will wait for april then.
jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b
United States
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2005
4:44 AM

Post #1815338

do you have seed to trade erick?...this is a pic of my purple one...dmail

Thumbnail by jackieshar

jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b
United States
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2005
12:51 PM

Post #1815603

and a triple yellow to trade

Thumbnail by jackieshar

ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1818738

jackieshar, I send you a Dmail.

Erick
cyberiris
Williamston, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2005
7:54 PM

Post #1833295

Hi Everyone:

Can daturas be overwintered in Zone 5? Ours are looking beautiful at the moment but the first killing frost is already overdue.
jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b
United States
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2005
9:56 PM

Post #1833489

erick, if u sent mail , it did not come thru
jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b
United States
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2005
3:19 AM

Post #1836811

cyberris..I doubt they will overwinter in your zone as a perinneal would, but they are soooooooooo easy to start from seed in the spring after frost...snatch all the seed you can before frost...
soozer
Safety Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2005
11:06 AM

Post #1848761

Have this Black Currant Swirl (double and triple blossoms) and had to do a major trimming (yesterday, finally) after the winds from Hurricane Wilma knocked them over. Guess they were a little top-heavy and all the bricks I was using to anchor them and prop them up couldn' handle that weight. It just hurt to see all those giant seed pods gone. But there are more on the plant. How do I know when the pods are mature and ready to harvest? My friends want some, too!
:)
JLD_II
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2005
5:14 PM

Post #1849336

The purples and some yellows don't show signs of being ripe like my white(D. Inoxia). The whites will actually split open when really ripe, I try to pick them before that happens. My purples are almost completely bare due to the fall weather and I'm going to leave the seed pods on as long as possible. I'm hoping I'll see a change in color to a more brown look. It's happening ever so slowly, I'll take some pictures of them to show as it seems many of us have the same questions about them. I think my growing season is a little short for these colored Datura's since they didn't bloom until very late in the summer, they still have buds on them trying to open. I think its too cold and cloudy for them IMO.
I think I'll go ahead and open a couple seed pods to inspect the insides to see if they're ripe. I'll have pictures today or tomorrow and show what I find.
Til then, I say leave them on the plant as long as possible.
Good luck!
JD
jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b
United States
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2005
8:37 PM

Post #1849637

white seed inside is immature, brown seeds are generally fertile. Yellow will ripen on the vine given warm weather...I watch them closely and as the begin to split I bring them in, put them in a sunny window to dry...you might be able to ripen them that way even before they split...the purple don't seem to make as many seedpods here and they are small and tight...they will be alright til frost...
soozer
Safety Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2005
10:30 AM

Post #1850632

When I split open the pods on the trimmings a couple days ago, they were loaded with white (immature) seeds. So, wait until the pods go brown...

Thanks for the tips.
soozer
Safety Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2006
3:32 PM

Post #1973579

-bump-
SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5073273

ZONE 8B, SAM RAYBURN LAKE, DEEP EAST TX

My Datura 'Black Currant' over wintered in green house. It is now too leggy (too tall).

Its June 8, 2008 as I write. I'm wondering if this is a good time to cut the tall stalks back and then root my cuttings?

What would you do?

My 'Black Currant' is being attacked with leaf suckers! We have too many bugs, insects, fungi, etc. in Southeast TX

I have my 'Black Currant' outside in part shade for better air circulation. It recently bloomed a couple of flowers.

Keep the water flowing!!!!!!!!! So dry in TX now
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5256593

Okay... I didn't know what a "Datura" was- I just saw that the thread was one of the most recent posts on DG. I'm in LOVE! How are these different from brumagelias (SP?)??? Thanks for sharing- these are STUNNING!!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5279409

Here is the difference

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5260018

X
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5279737

Oh Sudie you live in my heaven! We spend a week or to up at the lake every summer at Powell Park Marina. We will be up there again in August I can't wait!
Take Care!!
Caren

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM
Anyone grow variegated daturas from seed? chrisaggie 10 Nov 15, 2007 4:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America