Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Omlette in a Bag

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 55, Views: 149
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2005
6:23 PM

Post #1769210

Farizona sent me this...and said she had tried it and it works! Jo

"OMELETS IN A BAG"

Have you ever heard of this? (This works great! Good for when all
your family is together and no one has to wait for their special omelet)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size freezer bag with
permanent marker.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake,.

Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Ingredients:
Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2)
shake to combine them. Put out a variety of ingredients such as:
cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, mushrooms,
etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.

Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot.

For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for
everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved
in the process and a great conversation piece.

Directions:
1. Crack the eggs into a large resealable freezer bag. Press out most
of the air, and seal. Shake or squeeze to beat the eggs. Open the bag,
and add the ham, cheese, onion, green pepper, tomato, salsa, and
mushrooms. Squeeze out as much of the air as you can, and
seal the bag.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place up to 8 bags at a time
into the boiling water. Cook for exactly 13 minutes. Open the bag, and
let the omelet roll out onto a plate. The omelet should roll out easily.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 19, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1769220

roadrunner, do you just use freezer zip locks? I'm not believing this. I've just got to try it!
farizona
Bowie, AZ
(Zone 8B)

September 19, 2005
6:44 PM

Post #1769251

IO1--I used a freezer zip lock bag with a slide thingy on top, quart size.
Worked well.
Today I added some fresh parsley and salsa to it too. GOOOOD!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 19, 2005
7:10 PM

Post #1769282

Okay, thanks. I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow! How quick can you get!!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
1:38 AM

Post #1770008

Jo, I love a recipe that sounds so good and so simple that you hafta run right to the kitchen and try it. Well, your recipe is and I did, and I just had it for supper.

I didn't have many omelette ingredients on hand, so I just diced some American cheese and some home-grown cherry tomatoes and added some dried onion flakes and herbs--parsley, dried tarragon, cumin. Added some seasoned pepper and kosher salt after it was plated. What a yummy, impromptu supper! I used a zip top sandwich bag. Didn't even open it when it was done--cut a corner off and slid it right onto the plate. AND NO CLEAN UP!

Going to Sam's tomorrow to get some of that microwave bacon to have as a side for my next NO CLEAN UP breakfast or supper. And maybe some of those Pillsbury frozen biscuits. My next overnight company will think I got up at 6 am to slave over breakfast.

THANKS for (another) great recipe! (Still making sopaipilla cheesecakes regularly.)
...Pen
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
1:44 AM

Post #1770016

Just happened to think: there's no clean up, and you know what else there's nothing of? No fat to cook it in. For a 2-egg omelette I would normally use at least a T. of butter, but this omelette tastes great without it. Hey, every little bit helps.
...Pen
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1770077

Pen...I haven't made it yet...although Farizona did spend a couple of days with me last week...I cooked the sausage/eggs and Pillsbury frozen biscuits...now...I wonder why she didn't tell me about this while she was here?

I made the Sopapillas last week also...had some to share with Farizona...Jo
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
2:28 AM

Post #1770088

Jo, try it. I can see where this would be a lot of fun for a crowd at breakfast. I'm going to serve it at my next family thing. I should say I'm going to let them serve themselves. ;)

For company, I would give each diner a bowl containing the two cracked eggs along with a sandwich bag with his/her name on it (or pass a marker around). I would have them put the omelette extras in before adding the eggs--less squishy to deal with. Also, I turned my bag over half way through the cooking.
...Pen
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
2:37 AM

Post #1770096

I will try it when someone comes to eat with me...why get all that much good stuff for just me? Maybe DD will come by for breakfast one day soon...I'll tempt her with Grits on the side!! LOL Jo

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2005
2:41 AM

Post #1770104

Hey, maybe grits in a separate bag? Would only work with quick grits, I suspect!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
2:49 AM

Post #1770120

Darius, that's a cool idea. Let us know if you try it. We love grits, but I don't keep the instant on hand.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2005
2:59 AM

Post #1770144

LOL, Pen. Doubt I will try it. In many ways I'm a Southerner, I like REAL grits and you cannot cook those in 13 minutes!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 20, 2005
3:23 AM

Post #1770246

Roadrunner, this is a winner! I, too, just had to have it for supper. It's absolutely perfect. I used 2 eggs, red bell pepper, 2 tbs salsa, some of that cooked chick in the pouch and through in a tad of Mexican cheese. Boy, was it good! I mean, this is one of the best recipes I've come across lately. There's no clean up, and I was surprised at how moist it was. I also turned mine. In fact, I turned it a couple of times. The only thing I probably did wrong was I should have cut back a bit on the ingredients. Not the number ... but the amount of each. I was just throwing it in. Anyway, thanks for posting. ... Elaine
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
2:32 PM

Post #1770796

I'm with Darius on the Grits...no instant grits for me.

Jo
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2005
3:49 PM

Post #1770942

You know, I think Grits is the one thing I've never eaten. I don't think we can even buy them up here.

I like the omlette recipe though. I think I'll try it on a weekend when all the kids are home from college. Or at least some of them.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
4:44 PM

Post #1771039

Joan...I could send you some. When we had my DD's Over the Hill party the other day...we put some grits into a small bag and wrote "Kiss my Grits" on it. also, a small bag of oats...with "DD's left-over wild oats...50 years old...probably won't germinate" on them. Jo
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1771048

Jo, will you also send me instructions? LOL I don't have a clue what to do with them. I'd love to try it though, and I'll pay the postage. Thanks!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 20, 2005
4:50 PM

Post #1771051

We always take them to Montana to some friends of ours because they can't get them, either. We took GA peaches and cane syrup made here in my county, also.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2005
4:55 PM

Post #1771060

Send good instructions for cooking..If they are not cooked right, and that means the longer the better to me, they are not fitting for the dogs, lol..and a lot of folks that say they don't like them, just haven't had them cooked right.. It is for sure, a southern thang!..No sugar allowed in the grits, lol...

Larkie
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2005
4:59 PM

Post #1771067

We make the bags when we go camping. I pre-dice everything at home and store it in ziplocks. The kids like their's with alot of cheese, mushrooms and ham. I like them because of the no hassle in the mornings, lol.

I never thought to do them at home, why is that?

mg
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 20, 2005
5:54 PM

Post #1771175

You are sooo right, Larkie. Even though I'm southern born and bred ... never liked grits before until I had them cooked in a crock pot. They had been cooked long and slow. Now I like them cooked on top of the stove, but like you said ... the longer the better. And no sugar, please. Although, to each his own. I had a boyfriend who ate them like that. He was from north GA. Don't know if that's the way it's done up there or not, but no sugar for me! Only with cream of wheat!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1771493

Jo - thanks so much for this idea/recipe. Sounds like so much fun :) Hey, there's no butter or oil !!!! :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2005
9:18 PM

Post #1771585

Yeah, but if you read this, butter and some oils are good for you!
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=1726
Posted originally by Sbarr: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/545812/
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2005
9:24 PM

Post #1771595

What darius...you think we don't use butter and oil? LOL :) You know me way butter than that - ooops, better ;)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2005
9:25 PM

Post #1771596

LOL, yes I know YOU better!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2005
12:29 AM

Post #1771895

I know I would throw a chunk of BUTTER in there...as to the grits...chunk of butter, salt, pepper and some grated cheese on top...fit for a queen. Now, I learned to eat them with Cheese at Rock Eagle 4-H Camp in Georgia (Leaders meetings)...so don't be coming at me for the cheese! LOL Jo

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2005
3:19 AM

Post #1772278

Cheese grits are big here Jo!! Delicious..

Larkie

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2005
2:51 AM

Post #1774269

Yummmmm Grits! I can't find anything but the quick kind around here and I like the real ones that you have to cook for a long time...no such luck. Maybe if I go into the city and head for the core I could find real ones but I'm not sure I'm that brave...maybe I can mail order them somewhere. It's my favorite winter breakfast, grits with a big blob of butter melting all over them and a couple of eggs over easy...and maybe a strip or two of crunchy smoked bacon. Dang! Now I'm hungry and it's time for bed. Anybody see "My Cousin Vinny"? Explains how long it takes to cook grits. LOL
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 22, 2005
3:17 AM

Post #1774312

meezersfive ... I can mail you some. Dmail me if you want me to. Elaine
ottosgirl
Providence, RI

September 22, 2005
5:28 PM

Post #1775272

This sounds like a great idea. How about for a sleepover birthday breakfast or a scout camping trip. I'm going to try it for my grumpy 16 yo for breakfast since he's still hoping I'll make him breakfast when I take his sister to the bus stop.l He will like this and so will I. No dishes in the sink. THanks
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 22, 2005
6:58 PM

Post #1775434

I have to tell you this is the absolute best recipe I've tried in a long time. It's so quick and healthy. No mess ... no fuss. I've already had 3 of them. I did find that I like it better if I whip my eggs with a wisk in a glass measuring cup and then put them in the bag and throw in the rest of the stuff. Makes them light and airy. The first time I made it, I threw it all in and shook the bag, but I like it better the other way. Great recipe! ... Elaine

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2005
1:10 AM

Post #1777974

meezersfive,
You can long cook the quick cooking ones and they do just fine.. Just simmer and stir for as long as you would the long cooking..

Larkie
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2005
1:23 AM

Post #1777997

Do any of you cook your grits in Milk? My DH learned this from a chef for a Village Inn In FL...very creamy. Jo
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 24, 2005
2:06 AM

Post #1778056

Yes, I always use milk in mine. Makes a world of difference.
knotimpaired
Vieques, PR
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2005
10:47 AM

Post #1782155

The recipe sounds great I will try it but you all sure got my attention when you mentioned grits.

I love grits, any kind. Instant or not. My problem is they do not have them here in Vieques (we are a small island 7 miles off of Puerto Rico)

I would be MORE than happy to forward money via Paypal and throw in a plant if someone would be kind enough to pick some up and mail them down for me.

You would be a lifelong friend :)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2005
1:20 PM

Post #1782323

Knotimpaired...since I have grits on my shopping list for JoanJ...I'll add your request...send me your mailing address. Jo
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2005
11:55 PM

Post #1805401

My friend...that can't boil water...but managed to for this recipe...tried it and loved it...He said it came out nice and he would make it quiet often...Jo
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2005
12:05 AM

Post #1805416

Howse about leftover grits and a big chunk of butter in one of those bags. They could be put in the boiling water to heat up with those omelets.
I use the coarse ground country grits from the Mast or Hampton General store in NC; they take forever to cook. You can soak them all night and they still take almost an hour to cook.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2005
1:00 AM

Post #1805491

Those grits sound good..and I think "Grits in a Bag" would work well also. Jo
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 16, 2005
10:56 PM

Post #1819943

I am still loving this recipe. It's just perfect for a Sunday morning breakfast. I prepare the baggies ahead of time. Then on Sunday morning, all I have to do is get my water boiling, go jump in the shower and run back and plop the bags in ... drop the bread in the toaster and pour the coffee. Thanks! ... Elaine
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2005
11:17 PM

Post #1819983

Do you know if you can pre-mix and freeze for a couple of days? My dad and brothers are leaving for a hunting trip and this sounds like it may be a great idea for their breakfasts!
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2005
12:49 AM

Post #1820148

I certainly don't doubt what all of you say, but I could not believe this would really work. I tried it one morning with just the two eggs and felt it would likely stick to the inside of the bag. Slid right out just as you said it would. Tried it another day with cheese and it was wonderful. No pan to wash either...My friend was having all her children come home this weekend.I told her about this trick and they did it yesterday for breakfast. She called to say it was a real hit with everyone.Thanks for this neat idea. Gabriell
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2005
2:43 AM

Post #1820381

I'm having a group of ladies over for a luncheon in November...I'm thinking of having all the "fixins" ready and let them go to it!! Maybe serve a fruit compote and Garlic Bread with it. ...what do you think? we usually eat lunch a little early anyhow...

I don't have any idea about freezing eggs...anyone else know??

Jo
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 18, 2005
3:12 AM

Post #1822219

I don't have a clue about freezing, but I think it would be a big hit for your lunch. I really really love this recipe. Fix it for my lunch a lot. I've found all sorts of neat ways to do it. I was skeptical, also. That's what made me try it to start with. It's a great recipe!
Mimidi
Dothan,, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2005
11:20 AM

Post #1822543

Have read about omlets in a bag but never tried them. Can't wait to try this the next time my granddaughters send the night. They will love making these since they already like to cook breakfast. Will have to have those grits to go with the omlets though.

Just told hubby about this thread and now we are having sausage, eggs, and grits for breakfast. Might have those omlets for supper tonight.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2005
4:18 PM

Post #1893359

My family decided we would do a Thanksgiving Breakfast...at my house. It turned out so well I think we will do it again.

I had 12 of my family here...and I put out everything one would want in an Omlette...each one put their "fixins" in the baggie with their name on it...and I beat up the eggs desired...poured them in...and put them in boiling water.

They were very well accepted. So easy...and very little clean up...and each one had it the way they wanted it. Jo
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2006
8:26 AM

Post #2183479

gosh this sounds too good to be true. I think I will have to try it today. I have mushrooms and red peppers. wish i had some good old cheddar cheese, but i guess i'll have to make do with local cheese.

Roadrunner, thanks for posting this and bringing it back up.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2184007

Pebble...I'm glad you found it...it is so easy...and I love "easy"...LOL Jo
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2006
9:32 PM

Post #2323066

would this freeze? I could prepare them ahead of time and freeze... if so what would freezing do to the cooking time?

help would be appreciated... thanks!

one of my resolutions is to have breakfast as the heartiest meal of the day. this would certainly satsify the protein and vegetable part of that goal.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2323317

Janiejoy...I don't know the answer..ask Darius...Jo

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2324000

Don't ask me, I don't know.
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2006
2:20 AM

Post #2329983

I'll try it myself and let you know...
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2330611

I thought of that after I got off the computer!! I'll see what you find out...Jo
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

May 31, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2334074

Instead of freezing what about keeping a few things handy like onions, peppers and ham in small amounts already chopped and measured out in the freezer. You could take out that little bundle of goodies the night before. The ommlett is so quick and easy. This way it would be a snap. You could have a variety of combinations. Wouldn't that work? I freeze all these things anyway. :)
~Elaine~

Edited to add ... Jo, I *still* make these all the time. Just looove them!! :)

This message was edited May 30, 2006 11:07 PM
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2334781

Well, Elaine, that sounds like a plan!!! Jo
christmascactus

August 1, 2006
4:38 PM

Post #2574924

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 3:11 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America