Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 21, 2005
3:12 PM

Post #1772937

We just came from doing yardwork at our rental house in Arlington, and while there we found these beetles all over everything, especially the numerous dried stalks and seedpods of the cleome (tenants apparently know far less about gardening than we thought!) They were all sizes, most were shaped like ladybugs, but these have different markings and some were more umm... shield shaped? Another pic follows. I think they aren't good, mostly because there were so, so many.
Liz

Thumbnail by edevenny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 21, 2005
3:14 PM

Post #1772938

Thumbnail by edevenny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gregr18
Bridgewater, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2005
3:44 PM

Post #1772981

The largest bug in the first picture with the yellow dot in the middle of its back is not a beetle at all, though it looks like one. It is a Harlequin Bug, Murgantia histrionica. They are agricultural pests, but I imagine they could do quite a bit of damage to ornamentals if they turned their attention towards them.

The bugs that look like bees are the same Harlequin bugs, but in the nymph stage. Not sure about the lady-bug like insect.

-Greg

This message was edited Sep 21, 2005 11:57 AM
edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 21, 2005
11:38 PM

Post #1773898

Thank you Greg, you are right on. We were researching for beetles and never considered "bugs". It is so interesting that these things chose this summer, our first at renting the house to tenants who let all kinds of weeds achieve bush status, including poke weed! I was puzzled that the cleome were all parched and dead when I thought they should still be flowering, but now I know why - these bugs sucked them dry.
Thanks again,
Liz

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America