Photo by Melody

Hoyas: Wintering over my Hoyas - what's best?

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 19, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BetsyJ
Mt Zion, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2005
1:24 PM

Post #1784311

When should I bring my hoyas in for the winter? How cool of temperatures can they tollerate? The forecast for my area is calling for low's in the mid/lower 40's for a couple nights this week...then back up to "normal lows" of mid/low 50's the rest of the week. Will a couple "cooler" nights harm them or do I run them back and forth between indoors and outdoors? Daytime temps are suppose to be very pleasant and sunny...with highs around 70... but I hate to think of dragging them in for the night and back out for the day.
Once they're in permanently for the winter...what's the best way to care for them? I always worry about the heat and dryness from the furnace for ALL my plants. I may have access to a greenhouse for wintering this year...would that be better?
Would appreciate any advice you can give...and nothing is too basic as I'm pretty much a beginner! THANKS.
Betsy
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 27, 2005
5:24 PM

Post #1785069

Betsy...we had some lower 40's a couple of weeks ago, and my plants fared just fine (as long as they were kept on the 'dryish' side) ...it's the 30's that you'll have to watch out for, 'cuz they usually mean frost!

I hauled several in last night, and have more work to do tonight, as I'll be gone Wed. night, and Thursday morning's low is predicted to be 35!!!!! Yikes!! I probably still have 50 or so plants out there...Succulents, ficus, brugs, etc... Time to get 'em all in the garage!

If you have one area, in particular, where you're planning to locate your hoyas for the winter, you might want to invest in a small vaporizer/humidifier.

I don't know what I (or my plants) would do without mine in the winter!! I have (ahem) *a lot* of tropicals, and those located near the humidifier during the winter always do better than those that aren't!

The greenhouse would be great to overwinter them in, but I'd hesitate to do it if it weren't attached right to my own house! Can't keep an eye on them on the coldest nights, can't make sure the heater's working...(have to count on someone else!), etc..
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2005
6:30 PM

Post #1785157

Betsyj, since you're new here, you probably don't know that everyone sends their hoyas to Arizona for the winter:-). So just pack those puppies up and send em on! Seriously I'm no help when it comes to what to do with wintering hoyas since I keep mine outside year round. We're still in the mid 70's at night.

Blessings,
Awanda
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2005
7:19 PM

Post #1785234

I have mine in the house sometimes with plant lights, sometimes not but most are in low light areas and they do well as long as I care for them properly. I also have a small humidifier (from Wal-Mart) that works really well. I have already brought my plants in as it is starting to get down in the 50's at night. I don't want to take a chance in case a 30 degree night slips in.

Susan
hbabcock
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2005
7:40 PM

Post #1785263

I have already brought mine into the house also. Right now I have them all over pebbles with water to keep the humidity up. Even the ones that hang. I simply put gravel around the bottom of the drip tray. I used a humidifier last year but with energy costs this year, I might skip it.
Heather
meltn
Knoxville, TN

September 27, 2005
8:07 PM

Post #1785297

Betsy,
I am in the process of moving my plants inside. Since I have more than a few plants to move into what appears every year to be a shrinking space, I tend to take my time getting them placed indoors.
I like to get them in place a few weeks before the heat goes on. That way they do not go into total shock from the difference in the light plus the dry heat of the furnace.
I like to have them moved in when night temperatures are below 50.
MsKitty
Chowchilla, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2005
10:47 PM

Post #1785474

This is not a direct answer to Betsy, but more of an extension of part of the discussion - humidity.

Since I don't put my Hoyas outdoors (live in an apartment complex), I have become a monster sprayer - I usually spray at least five times a day. But, I am a student/teacher, so I am at home during more hours the day, which allows me this option.

For the rest of us wage slaves that are gone most of the day, and who don't want to be (how to put this delicately) "screwed" even worse by their utility companies by using humidifiers, I would like to offer some suggestions:

I noticed in Christina's (MyHoyas) pictures they put water holders on their heat radiators. For those that have those, it might be a good investment. Also, my grandmother always takes pots filled with water and places it on the vents (a possible useful idea for those with central heating). Finally, if you have a small place and your plants are located somewhere near a kitchen that is pretty open to the rest of the house, you can just boil a pot of water on the stove every now and again so that the humidity will increase in that area of the house (I have even been known to walk the hot, steaming pot around the entire house just to raise that humidity level throughout).

Anybody else have some creative suggestions as to how we can increase our humidity in the winter time?

Ann
BetsyJ
Mt Zion, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2005
10:58 PM

Post #1785487

Everyone...(well, everyone except for maybe Awanda...I think she tried to pull a fast one again...like with the prayers trying to get them to bloom!!) =0) ha ha
Thanks for your TIPS!! I really appreciate it. Since I only have 5 or 6 hoyas, I went ahead and brought them in this afternoon ~~ it makes sense to get them acclimated to environmental changes slowly AND I don't want to take any chances with the weather. Instead of being out on my screened-in porch, my hoyas are now in front of the double doors that lead out onto the porch ~ the daytime temps are still nice enough that I can leave the door open. The light isn't quite as bright there but when it's the dead of winter, it's THE Primo plant-spot in the house.
I will also make note to get a humidifier and/or sit them in a pebble tray when the heat comes on.
..and Meltn ~~ I've seen your pictures of your hoyas/garden. I bet it takes you so long to move them that you just barely get all your plants outside in spring and then have to turn right around and start bringing them back in for winter! LOL Illinois isn't too far from Tennessee...I'd be happy to 'winter over' a few for you. ... (Uh-oh, now I sound like Awanda!) =0)
Thanks again, all!
Betsy
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1785691

Here is a link to a temperature tolerance guide https://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/AHtemps.php

Remember to give them good air circulation...hoyas hate to be in a stuffy room, hot or cold!!...but not in drafts. The pebble trays are good ideas...anything with water is great!

Carol
Mairzee_dotes
Long Beach, CA

September 28, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1785731

One of my friends uses those little fountains everywhere. They were all the rage a couple of years ago, and I got a couple of them. However, I have trouble keeping the little pumps running good. Seems to clog up or something after a while. Anyway, there are all sorts of styles and shapes of those things. Great for adding humidiy.
I set a big tupperware pan of water on the bottom shelf of my Big Lots greenhouses.
They do seem to like humidity a lot. The plants I hang over my kitchen sink seem to always do well there. If I have one looking a little "iffy", I just move it to that spot and it perks up in a few days.
Marcy
ACsAgapePlants
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2005
1:45 AM

Post #1785760

Wow Betsyj, for you to be a newbie, you sure got my number fast:-).

Blessing,
Awanda
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2005
2:52 AM

Post #1785836

Guess what...she is now formally NOT a newbie...
BetsyJ
Mt Zion, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2005
1:08 PM

Post #1786379

I'm NOT a "newbie" anymore?!?! WHOO HOOO!
Thank you, ladies...i cherish my new stature. ;)
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1786418

Now I like Marcy's idea with setting a tupperware container on the bottom shelf of the greenhouse.

I don't think the small humidifiers in Wal-Mart cost a lot to run. I know Lesli in Georgia really believes in those fountains but I never see them in stores anymore.

Susan
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 28, 2005
3:39 PM

Post #1786605

I've used fountains in the past, too, but we have *really* hard water, and replacing the pumps has become too expensive, and with the amount of water used (which was considerable!) I couldn't justify buying gallons and gallons of distilled water, either (I already buy distilled water for misting plants.)

The small humidifiers don't really make a noticeable difference in your electric bill.
meltn
Knoxville, TN

September 28, 2005
8:41 PM

Post #1787063

Betsy, you are quick to catch on to Awandas method of increasing ones plant collection! I have several that need winter foster homes, but, they are a bit too large to ship!

Last year I collected a few of the fogging/ misting fountains. They put out a mist that almost looks like smoke and have to be refilled daily. I put them right under the Hoyas hanging in the house and it does seems to help raise the humidity. You can find some table top models in the ABC catalog for around 22.oo.
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2005
8:50 PM

Post #1787072

The small humidifiers usually have to be refilled twice a day and their output is kinda smokelike also.

The fountains are probably a little cheaper but maybe not, once shipping charges are added on.

Susan
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2005
9:25 PM

Post #1787124

Airflow over standing water is easy and it works...with the occasional misting.
Sodapopkid111
Dennisport, MA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1787159

There is a humidifer put out by Holmes...I have one... holds 3 gallons of water... also there is a setting to keep the humidity level at what ever you like...cost $ 179.00.Tel 1800 210 802 it also has built in fans to circulate moisture.

suzmyers
Turnerville, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2005
2:43 AM

Post #1787591

I have been a lurker here for several months, but this is my first post. I have a large aquarium with fish and lots of aquatic plants in my plant room. The tank has a filter on it that sprays water onto the surface of the tank water and it seems to really keep the humidity up in the winter time. It is a decorative way to keep water in the air and also allows me to garden "under water". Of course, Hoya's are not one of the underwater plants!
Sue

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America