Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Q & A on Garden Sphere making

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 3, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2005
2:45 PM

Post #1790029

You just look around for round plastic items that could be a half sphere then glue them together by buttering with mortar.

You can cut a basket ball in half and make a mother mold to keep them round while pouring in da mix.

Many have used the glass globes that fit onto light fixtures but these are a one - use mold as you must break the globe to get the sphere out.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2005
3:34 PM

Post #1793222

Thanks Shirley. Now if I used a basketball size, about how long would it take to cure? Also I'm thinking of adding some small stones for decoration, do I add them after them they start to cure but are still soft?
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1793247

Assuming you are using tufa, you can carefully de-mold when you no longer can easily put a dent in the tufa with your fingernail.

Depending on the weather 18 to 24 hours should do .I would first check around 12 hours so you know how it is setting up.

You can use Gorilla Glue or a clear exterior silicone to attach stones & half marbles after the sphere is dry.

Take pictures while doing your project so you can start your own thread ,

'cause you know how we all ... Wannseeeeeeeee !
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2005
4:03 PM

Post #1793258

Boy that was fast! Thanks, it won't be for a couple more weeks before I attempt this as we are still exhibiting at shows until next weekend - but then I'll be ready to take a break for awhile and thought this might be a fun project - one for myself and two for my best gardening buddies. When I get started, I'll be sure to take pics.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America