Dividing Peonies

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

What is the best way to divide Peonies? How can I determin if the tubers are big enough? How many eyes per tuber should there be?

Thanks

Gary

Corte Madera, CA

my guess is sharp, disinfected knife. rhizomes are sold with 3 eyes. more eyes would grow into a prettier, fuller plant =).

best of luck on dividing, gary. i hope someone in the know comes along. bumping this up.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Buying peony tubers with 3 eyes is typical. So, I'd say thats safe.. and like Moonglow said.. the more eyes.. the fuller the new bush will be.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

At least 3 eyes, more is better!

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. Now I can do my first trades and be quite sure that I am doing the correct thing

Gary

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How many eyes are too many?

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't think their is such a thing. LOL

Corte Madera, CA

my sentiments exactly. lol.

I want to lift one to send it to someone. If it has 10 eyes is that okay or would I be accused of being "over generous" again?

I'm sincere.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Your over generous, what kind is it. Cut 5 of those eyes off and send it to me immediately and I won't call you over generous, I promise.

I'll see what I get when I dig it up and just might do that. It's the old one, Festiva Maxima.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

No pirl really, I was kidding. I have a couple of the Festiva's. 10 eyes are VERY generous, if you split that 5/5 , perhaps you could get another trade out of it?

Thanks for the good idea but I'm overflowing with plants to get in the ground, mostly daylilies, and another trade (beyond the three I have working) would be too much since our weather has been horrific.

Bossier City, LA(Zone 8b)

How I miss NY state (said sarcasticly). I was born and raised in Oswego NY the snow never stops and the sun don't hardly shine. Glad I moved to LA 2 years ago.

I tried a tree peony for the first time this year, they are so pretty looking. I had a Sandra Bernhardt, it turned brown and withered... never to be seen again. I may get brave enough to try again next year, oh well.

Brian

We're just about as far away from Oswego and zone 5a as you can get in New York. Our October was lost to rain and more rain.

We're at the northeastern tip of Long Island, not exactly the end of the world but you can see it from here.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

ZZSandman - be sure and discuss how to grow peonies in the south with ur next attempt. They are treated differently than for us up here. There's a couple of threads on the subject and some folks in the south who will gladly share tips. Ask Moonglow, who posted earlier in this thread.

Thank you kooger, I will inquire next spring when I get ready to plant.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

smile - actually, up here they're best planted in the fall.

You're 100% right kooger. In New York our radio gardening guy says Oct. 15th is THE date for transplanting them.

I bought my last peony at lowes and they did not carry them until may, and they have not had them again since may, go figure lol.

When I knew nothing at all about them and we were new to this house and some had to be moved I did it in June and they all did just fine.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

holly cow
i wish i had discovered this forum last oct i bought a house and the previous owner was a Master Gardener and wow i am up to my ears in Day Lillies and Peopnies, not to mention TREES and more TREES she was a tree freak. She planted them all in STRAIGHT ROWS !!! We had to dig 12 out already just so we could mow.
i didn't know what to do with all my other plants so i had a garage sale with a you dig ,you get for free sign. It went over very well.
anyone in the Ohio area in the need for trees hahahahhaa. Also have some day lillies left.
taynors

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

welcome to the best gardening site on the net!!! Glad to have u join us! :)

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Wow, where was I when you were trying to get rid of all those !!!! We just moved and have a new, unlandscaped yard of over an acre. Obviously I don't have anything to trade, but will gladly pay postage if anyone has any perennial divisions they don't know what to do with. I'm pretty needy. LOL

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

We chopped down a hedge and I have a bunch of extra hostas to move as that bed will now be in full sun. LMK if u are interested. I can stuff a flat rate box as full as possible. They are shiny green and don't get really large, maybe about 2 feet at the largest.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh, thank you. That's so very generous and kind. We don't have much shade to be able to plant them in I'm afraid. Our lot is so "open" with only a couple of small trees. I love hostas though. I have 2 growing on the north side of a small area that gets only a little sun. I'm hoping that it will be shady enough for them there, but I can't tell yet. Thank you again for your offer, it made me feel good, even if I couldn't take them.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

:)

Burkesville, KY(Zone 6b)

I had my husband dig up a couple of peonies from a friends yard and we planted them in our yard. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of root to either of them. I have always loved peonies and I know these are from the old strains as our friend was in her 70's when she passed away and her son hasn't done anything to them since then which was about 5 years ago. Wehave very good soil here and I staked them up as they were drooping. Is there anything special I should do to make sure they survive?

Tomorrow is Oct. 15th - the ideal day for planting peonies, here, but instead I'll "probably" be digging Festiva Maxima. Anyone interested?

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

hi pirl....is it too late for your offer?
i've been slowly getting around to various forums :-)

Sorry, I sent out 5 clumps early this week.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

no problem...nothing ventured, nothing gained :-)

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have any peonies to trade for something other than peonies? I am dying for some of them and DH says I have spent my limit on plants for a while :(.
I have lots of good stuff to trade. LMK if interested.

Charlene

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

I just sent out a request to all members of my local gardening club looking for Festive Maxima then sat down and popped onto DG....hit the peony forum, reading and came across your thread, Pirl.....so very sorry I missed this. Deb

Larlienda and Depsi: I'll be dividing again tomorrow in order to give a piece to the nice woman at the post office. If I have more than I need I'll post it here for you.

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

You are a sweetheart....I will pay any postage required. We divided 30 some peonies at one of our club member's gardens Sunday for the University of Idaho Arboretum's annual sale next spring but no Festiva Maxima. Thank you and will be watching.....Deb

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl, I would love to have a piece also if you have enough. I am really wanting to start some peonies. DH says my limit on plants has been maxed out for a while. That's okay, I can trade or pay postage and that doesn't count! LOL

Charlene

Anyone that has any peonies, I have trades and will gladly trade or pay postage.

Thanks in advance

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

thanks Pirl!

charlene i just divided one...we just moved in our house a year ago and this summer i had one bloom on this big peony...when i worked on it just a few minutes ago there were tons of bulbs growing in, around, through the roots of the peony which may have been why it didn't bloom...i have several pieces with eyes (it's getting dark, so don't remember how many, etc) and your welcome to try some...lmk...can send dmail

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, yes, that is great. Would you like a trade? LMk and I'll let you know what I have.
Charlene

I'll do my very best to please everyone and should be able to dig in the afternoon since I'll have my 18 month old grandson trick or treating Grandma and Grandpa in the morning. No chocolate - just blueberries, his favorite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.