Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Louisville, KY

OK well today I was out moving tons of plants indoor for the frost scare. I have about 15 trays of seedling cannas they were to small to put out before the frost so I have left them in trays to overwinter. While picking out the tropicals I noticed this flower about to open. This is the seedlings first flower and from what I know their seems to be nothing like it. It's not what I would call true purple but it has to be the closets thing going so far. It is very dark looking and I have been trying to creat a purple for sometime. Though I have been told many times this is impossible this canna has given me some hope. I figure I am either going to make a purple canna or one so dark that it looks black. From the looks of it I maybe on the right trail?

This message was edited Oct 25, 2005 12:03 AM

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

Please post a picture when it has a full size bloom. I'd love to see it!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh. I cant wait to see it. I hope it remains that color. That would be a must have.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Really. A deep purple wine color. A beauty.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

pretty cool

Wichita, KS

Ooh, that is gonna be a beauty!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

hey everyone i was out there today and this is no joke its a beautifull ew canna and i cant wait to owne one.
thanks Brian ill see ya soon

Louisville, KY

Another picture of the flower more open.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Holy Smokes.....that is purple to me! It's gorgoeus!!!
:) Donna

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Very pretty, good job.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey , I must have a few of those!!!!!

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! A very pretty wine color. I think the flower is a little small and if there were lots of blooms at one time, it might make up for it. Is there anything striking about the foliage?

Louisville, KY

Green common foliage. The newest bloom is looking darker. I am sure the blooms will get a big larger as it matures this is a first bloom on a seedling and they commonly produce smaller flowers. The next flower bracket will let me know more about what the adult plant will do.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

What a good job bwilliams! That is beautiful. I'll be anxious to see more pics as it opens.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

How long does it take a seedling to bloom?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

"It is very dark looking and I have been trying to creat a purple for sometime. Though I have been told many times this is impossible this canna has given me some hope."

The color looks quite nice and the bud definitely has purple in it.

I'm thinking that with the "Bio-Tech" industry and genetic engineering and so on, that eventually "they" will be able to splice in color genes that the natural plant line doesn't contain. So, for example, a true blue daylily will hit the market and a true deep purple canna will be seen. All those "impossible" color dreams we have will no longer be impossible dreams.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I do believe you've hit upon a gold mine!!!!!!!!!!! Elaine

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Out of curiosity, what do you use to keep track of your hybridizing? Computer and spreadsheet? Special program? Pen and paper? your mind?

Louisville, KY

I have several systems. I would love to have it all on a spreadsheet or website were with ID numbers and such. Maybe in the near future? I am working on a new website and will put a lot of time and effort into it. But for now most is in my mind and on paper.

Imoportant hybrids I doubt I could forget if I wanted to. But with many cannas like ones in the field. I put a tag for each one I think is worthy to be propagated and moved up. I usually put something like this one the tag

DL PF ***
which means dark leaf pink flower and the stars are a bit of a rating system. If one gets 5 stars its one I really really liked. One star is interesting but not to power. It may improve in time or be better used in breeding new forms.

With aroids I can usually tell most forms just at looking at them. I consider them children and know most by first and last names :>)

Their are a lot of books out there that many off this list would be very interested in specially on aroids. The aroid society has a great library to order from. The really interesting stuff is in the small books called aroideana also on the site. These are some of the most informative books I have read.

If your like me its hard for people to buy me gifts for christmas. I usually list down some good plant books with author. Its hard for them to get it wrong and I get something I am really interested in besides socks.

Louisville, KY

OK well I am extremely excited about this plant. I think many of you will really like this one. This maybe the key to a whole new color spectrum in cannas. I hope!

Strange turn in the growth of this odd Canna.

Well the flowers came out and looked like the photos above then as it aged the flowers turned a red to pink color very hard to describe. I was fairly upset with this but then then another flower came out and it was the odd purplish red color. Now the older pinkish red flowers have a purple tint on the edge of the peddles. This is more purple than then the flower first opened. Very interesting. I will soon have pics of both new mid and old flowers all on one plant.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is a closer pic of the peddles. This is a winner already and I am still not sure what its going to do next.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's a beauty!
:) Donna

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful . I would love to have it in my garden.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

A beauty for sure.

Louisville, KY

Does the last two pics look like purple to you guys? It does to me but maybe I am hoping so hard I am seeing purple??? :>))

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

seems like it has evolved into a dark fuschia with a purple edge

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This is a winner for sure Brian. Finally a canna that's not yellow or orange. lol

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

It definately looks like you have some purple on the edges. Almost a blue red color. The middle has a nice fuschia color to it. This is a very nice flower. I am sure that maybe in a few generations you can come up with a totally purple flower. Who knows, maybe you will cross over into blue??? Then you can start on roses ;^)

It looks like a nice big flower, too. It would almost be luxurious to see a patch of these. Is the plant big as well? Self cleaning? Non seeding? Just curious!

Thanks and great work!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Brian, You've done it again with another canna we all want! The petals on this one are gorgeous, even if you were aiming for a solid purple. The petal rim makes it really exciting!

Louisville, KY

Thanks for the great responses. This canna has been possibly the oddest canna I have really messed with. The newest flower looks to be a solid dark purple more so than any of the other flowers. I will get a pic as soon as it opens up it looks almost black now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.