Mirror "bead curtain"

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Didn't really know where to post this, so hope no one minds it in this forum...

We have a lot of windows and this time of year we get a lot of bird smacks on the windows. The hawks have certainly been multipying in the last few years, and every time they swoop in, birds scatter. Many times they try to fly through shut windows...

I thought this was an "artsy" way to not only prevent the bird smacks, but also to help bring in the light, since winter is so gloomy.

I just love the way the reflections glitter on the wall, and travel around the room as the sun moves...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, that is really a pretty way to solve that problem! rjuddharrison, in Houston, has mobiles in his back yard with the small round mirrors. When we ended our Houston Nursery Date at his home, there were reflections dancing all over the garden at that time of day. He said he calls it "sparkle hour."

Roseville, CA(Zone 8a)

What a brilliant idea!! I love it....very magical :-) Did you make it seedpicker?

I love that idea too maggiemoo...so creative. We had a huge mirror break once when I moved it to paint. I could have used some of the pieces to make mobiles. Too late now LOL tossed the broken mirror awhile back (more than 7 years ago for those of you who are superstitous) LOL.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

What a great idea.

Da lil boidies are appreciative , I am sure.

Did you make them ?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Whoa, take me back to the sixties...That's fabulous! I can hear the Jefferson Airplane music in the background.

Go ask Alice....

You can share whaterver you'd like here and I'm sure no one will ever object seedpicker. Very cool......in fact....groovy!

best,
don

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey we got bead curtains and disco lights all in one !

dis is me in my wilder days .....*make love ~ not war * hehehehe

Thumbnail by scooterbug

I was born in the sixties, so must have made a big impact on me.

...I guess the first music that ever hit my ears was either the doors or Jimmie Hendrix, and the first views of my mother were frosty pale lipstick, and VERY black eyes.

She was pretty young, too, and go-go boots and short skirts were her daily wear, lol...

I still love the sixties music, sixties makeup, and sixties clothes!! I even have a lava lamp that my hubby "allowed", lol...(he isn't as into it).

I figured the mirror bead curtain satisfies my inner hippy, but also is a much more "modern" version.

I did make something similar: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/544782/ , but while trying to explain to someone where I got the idea, I browsed the catalog I first saw them in, and discovered they were on clearance! They were much cheaper than I could even make them, so bought them.
-Taylor

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh that would drive my cats crazy! Very pretty!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It is pretty cool.. did it work?

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Great idea seedpicker! I have had problems with birds in the windows. Another one of those projects calling me. It would be neat to try and make the mirrors and beeds in flower and leaf shapes. Small ones. There goes my imagination again..............will have to experiment.
Thanks for sharing!
Dee

Yes, it has worked. That was a window that seemed to get the most frequent smacks...Now, there hasn't been a single one since I put them up. Normally, I'd have had multiple smacks by now...

Today there was a dove smack(hawk swooped in again) and it smacked another window...guess that one is next!, lol...

By the way..., they look just as magical from the outside of the house, as they do the inside.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

T .. it certainly is a 'bright' idea !!

So glad that it's proven to be effective too ..

- Magpye

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I luv it, Taylor! Has it helped?
:) Donna

Hi Donna
YES! It has helped a LOT! No more bird smacks! yay!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm glad it's helped you! Sometimes we have birds hitting our huge living room window. I would put it up but Pinky and Mel would have a hay day....lol!!
:) Donna

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't know how I missed this thread! Great job and love the reflections!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a string of mirrors across one of my arbors and I also added a mirror ball to the garden-I have several mirror balls in the house windows! luv them mirrors and the sunshine!

very cool!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Could this be done with little pieces of stained glass like 2zues (Cheryl) uses? She does such fantastic work!

Sorry, I've not been on the computer much in the past few months...

I certainly think you could use stained glass. It wouldn't be as reflective as mirror, but would certainly be pretty. ...Especially when the light hit it.

I saw a mobile the other day that had a combination of mirror, colored glass, and colored beads.

The possibilities are endless.

I tried to order more of these mirror ones, but they've been discontinued.
-T

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

LOL @ Don....Did you know Alice, too???? Did you go chasing rabbits? LOL

Seedpicker, I can't thank you enough for sharing this brilliant idea!!! We have a feeding station that's only about 20 feet from the back of our house and we have fly-bys and a few fly-ins when the windows have been open (we take screens out).....And, a few birds have actually hit the windows hard enough to drop and die. Geez... we feel horrible when we find a dead bird.

We have alot of wooded property and we have 3 woodpecker species and several species of hawks but thankfully, no casualties with them that I'm aware of. I don't believe we have any swoopers at the station area.

For the past month, we've had a female Cardinal rapping at our kitchen window. The females will sometimes do this for territorial reasons. The male hangs around but isn't particularly interested in pecking, so he just watches her....Anyway, what was so 'novel' and interesting at first has now become a bit of a nuisance. LOL What's that poem that Poe wrote about that rapping bird?? "Tis some visitor", I muttered. Only this and nothing more." Well, I've fast-tracked that poem and I'm now at the stanza where he's saying "Nevermore".....

Looks like my next little artsy project is going to be making some of those beaded strings. I have plenty of mosaics (even some reflective, mirror'd ones!!), and a glue-gun. And since I fish, I'll raid some tippet line. (Will this 'qualify' for "Garden Art"??? LOL)

If this project works out okay, I'll post a picture or two....

Ah, take me back....Come on Woodstock....Jimi Hendrix, CSNY, John Sebastian....

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Just noticed your thread.

Pirl...You can use the little bits of stain glass. I have drilled holes in little leftover scraps and connected them. I have also wrapped in wire and wrapped with foil and soldered. Some of my stain glass pieces have been hanging in the yard for years. My grand children love the reflections in the afternoon when the sun hits the glass.

The mirror pieces in the window is a great idea, we get so many bird crashes.

I will try some in the window.

Betty

Bohemia, NY

LOOOOOOOVE IT!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

This just popped into my thread watcher---COOOOL idea! Love those mirror strings, and I really like that you've done something practical with them!!

Thanks!

I was referred a pretty reasonable source recently, if anyone is interested in some:
http://www.partyoasis.com/garlands.html

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

And they have disco balls, too, which I love to put in my garden! Thanks for posting~~

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Seedpicker, that's a great idea. I need to put something up to stop the bird strikes. That is a great site you posted. How did you hand the strands?

Sarah

you mean hang?...I took a bamboo plant stake and cut it the width of the window, and then hung it by using two cup hooks, one on either end.

The garlands had a loop on the top and bottom. The top loop got looped over the bamboo, and the bottom loop, I cut off...
-T

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, yes I meant hang. Thanks for the info.

you are welcome.

Edinburg, TX

It's much too humid and the mosquitoes are vicious...so am inside browsing old posts...

Seedpicker...this is an old post indeed! I think I made mine around the same year but I used crystals, rhinestones, shiny buttons and pieces of glass intermingled with the mirror craft tiles. Years of sun and wind have deteriorated them but a few are still hanging on by a thread :o)

The crystals send wee little rainbow shards all over my back porch as well as a few that reflect in through the patio doors onto my living room floor and wall. Nothing brings on a smile like shiny objects and the colors of a rainbow!!!

After seeing this oooooold post I need to make time to repair the old dangles and make new ones!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images