Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Asparagus Beans (Yard Long)

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardening101usa
Burlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2005
4:52 PM

Post #1845711

Has anyone grown these. I wondered if there is any special care in growing them and what do they taste like. I'm adding an oriental vegetable garden into my plans next spring. {Dow Gauk} Asparagus Beans (Yard Long).
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2005
5:16 PM

Post #1845745

I have only grown the traditional "Yard Long". It is actually a form of southern pea,(Vigna sesquipedalis) very easy to grow. Flavor is different from snap (green) beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) but are particularly good in stir fries.
From http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-402/426-402.html#L2 [quote]Southern Peas
Southern peas are not actually beans or peas, but are used in the same ways. There are three commonly grown types - blackeye pea, cream pea, and crowder pea. They are available in both pole and bush forms. Southern peas may be harvested in the green shell or in the dried "pea" stage.
The yard-long or asparagus bean is related to blackeyed peas and has similar flavor, but the entire pod may be eaten. On trellised vines, pods may be produced which are 1-1/2 to 2 feet long ("yard-long" is stretching it a bit). Asparagus beans need warm temperatures and a long growing season to do well. Look for the seeds in novelty, gourmet, Oriental, or children's sections of seed catalogs. [/quote]

gardening101usa
Burlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2005
6:43 PM

Post #1845846

Thank you FD, They sound delicious. I bought just one packet to try. I wonder how they'll do next spring. Sounds like for my area I'll have to start them indoors in plugs. I got the variety called "Earth Gems". They'll need a trellis but I don't think they are pole type. The germination period is long about 15 -21 days. These mature in 67 days so I'm probably looking at a three or four month window from start to harvest depending upon growth rate and what mother nature throws our way next year.

We had a very long winter last year and things did't warm up enough to grow long seasoned crops. In fact most farms here last year had to replant there long season crops a second time as the first plantings never took. Even pole beans were late and not as productive as previous years. There saying we are going to get almost the same type of season for 2006.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2005 1:43 PM
Agrinerd
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2005
7:02 PM

Post #1845876

As far north as you are, you may want to try a variety called 'Liana'. It's day neutral and doesn't stop producing when the days get long in the middle of summer. I got mine from the Martha Stewart seed rack at Kmart.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40690/
kathyvm
Fruitport, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1852006

I planted "Earth Gems" variety by Ferry Morse this year. It was my first time with the asparagus beans. They produced very well. 67 days to harvest. I harvested beans into October. There is one thing I should let you know. Don't allow the beans to mature too much. They become fibery and loose their flavor. I let some go to seed so I have some for next year. I have lots extra to share. If you would be interested I can send you some.
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 2, 2005
6:03 AM

Post #1852543

They're good when about 16 inches long.
gardening101usa
Burlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2487577

Just an update on the earth gems, I now know chipmunks love the entire plant...third planting after sulphur bombing the chips burrows. Plants have now had a chance to grow and are about a foot tall.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2494190

I tried several varieties this year, but c'monks aren't the only things that like them!!! Sheesh - there isn't a bug in my 3/4 acre yard that hasn't munched out on those babies. Not to mention Hidey Ho - my small kitty with the VERY large butt who though their bed was a fab place for napping. I finally have some growing (on round 3!).

I look forward to sharing reports!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America