Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

African Violets and Gesneriads: advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 57, Views: 586
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2005
1:36 PM

Post #1852803

When we were at The Violet Gallery, Barb gave us some culture tips for trailers. I hope Nanna will elaborate & fill in what I've missed!

When a trailing violet starts getting leggy, Barb suggests taking a crown cutting to root. In fact, if you take a long, trailing cutting, you can break it up into several pieces and root each piece. (Notice how you can sometimes see roots forming along a trailing stem; it'll root anywhere along its length.) Once you've cut the crown off, a trailing violet that was growing as a single stem will often start setting suckers, eg trailing branches.

Barb prefers wide, shallow pots for her trailers (like Rob suggests -- no more than 2" deep for minis or 2 1/2" deep for standards, as I recall from his website). She also suggests putting the crown cutting & other cuttings into the same pot as the mother plant (presumably after rooting them in a humid environment?) so you get a fuller effect. That sounds good to me, but I wanted to note that I'm pretty sure plants for *show* have to have only a single plant in the pot. In a show plant, the trailing branches may spread across the surface of the soil and root themselves as they go along, but the branches are all still connected to the mother plant.

Barb gifted each of us with an overgrown, leggy trailer so we could have fun breaking it up & repotting it... I will take before & after pics when I do this, and report on the progress of the plant. :-)
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2005
8:57 PM

Post #1853401

Thanks CritterO,
That' wonderful info to have since I have soo many trailers...I agree, far as I know trailers for show can not be multiple plants it has to stem from one crown.

On the upside of that since I don't grow to show so I see nothing wrong with putting multiple plants in a pot to save space.They make a nice display this way, too.

MsC
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 2, 2005
10:45 PM

Post #1853574

When you are showing a trailer it must have at least three crowns all from one plant. Also all the crowns must be blooming ! I love growing trailers :)) Allison
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 2, 2005
10:51 PM

Post #1853591

Ps I got a box of 14 plants plus leaves today from Violet-Gallery .
My first from them ! It is wonderful !
I ordered one trailer from the ~ ANGEL TEARS TRAIL- (6126) 01/22/1986 (C. Sotkiewicz) Double white frilled/pink fantasy. Medium green, pointed, quilted. Standard trailer ~
I had to cut all the roots off and put it down in a new pot of fresh soil-less mix. But let me tell you its hugh ! I also have a tiny baby plant from it. And at least a half a dozen solo cups which each has two or more leaves in them ! I will have some in Spring to Share !
I will be ordering many more boxes from them. :))
I am dancing the Happy Dance ! Allison

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2005
10:52 PM

Post #1853592

Thanks for the info, Allison! Growing AVs for show would be a whole new level of obsession for me... hmmmm... :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2005
11:09 PM

Post #1853625

Oh, good news about your VG order! We were so pleased with the selection & size of the plants we saw there. I was happy with my spring order from Rob's Violet Barn, but these plants all seemed twice the size of the ones that Rob's sent. I'm still splitting & repotting & putting down leaves from the 20 plants that I brought home from there...

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2005
12:27 AM

Post #1853756

Yes I was excited when I saw your posting . What a dream to be able to go there ! I saw you plants and were hoping mine would be as wonderful ! And WOW they are ! I will be getting a lot more in the Spring ! How far do you live from them ? Allison
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2005
5:08 AM

Post #1854199

It took us about an hour to get there from here, so if you're ever up this way... :-) I'm sorry I didn't "meet" you sooner, as I'd have been happy to do a little shopping for you... I just sent a big box off to MsC with various "trade goods" and a couple of trailers I got for here there. I will let you know when I go again!
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2005
9:35 AM

Post #1854280

WHY your lucky ! Do they sell them for less or the same as on line ? Do they have more in the store to pick from ? I know I will be getting more in the Spring :)) I was very happy with my box. For 14 plants and three sets of leaves they only charge me $ 11.00 for shipping ! I am so pleased , they also have a nice selection ! You muct have had so much fun. I am disabled home bound/ bed bound so I can only dream. Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories ! Made my day. Allison

This message was edited Nov 3, 2005 10:06 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2005
3:55 PM

Post #1854717

I think their price was the same as online, only of course I didn't have to pay shipping. I did get a few that weren't in their web catalog.

We'll have to "shop" one another's selections this spring and do a nice trade!

I'm so happy you've joined this forum -- I think you're inspiring us all to new heights of collecting & propagating!
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2005
4:50 PM

Post #1854811

This is a very nice forum ! I don't even know how I fount it :))
I have some really nice babies growing, leaves down, or leaves to trade. Trades are a lot of fun ! Does the forum ever have secret leaf trades ? Those are fun ! Or Bingo's ? Allison
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2005
4:56 PM

Post #1854828

Oh, a secret leaf trade does sound like fun! I was thinking we could try a plantlet swap in spring, although maybe people want to just trade for specific varieties... I was thinking along the lines of, send in 5 (or however many) plantlets, get 5 different ones back... a way to swap varieties witha bunch of people for the postage cost of 2 trades... we'll see how things develop here over the winter & if there's interest.

How do you play Bingo online? I'm intrigued...
nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

November 3, 2005
6:22 PM

Post #1855026

I think you touched on everything. I'm with MsC--if I'm not going to grow for show I may as well fill the pot with trailer cuttings.

I divided the "freebee" into three pieces and stuck them back into the same pot with the original pot. My hope is a very full, bushy, loads of blooms display.

Nanna
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2005
8:05 PM

Post #1855246

I don't show. I'm 99 percent bedbound/ home bound . I just know about showing .
But I let my plants do what ever they want ! And Trailers :)) I just let them grow and grow . I like growing them once large in pan pots ! I have two Chimera trailers. One in heavy bloom. and one just a tiny sucker just rooting my friend from Canada sent me !, as I bought her the plant for a gift. It's slow going but I sure hope it grows.
trailers are the best as they can just grow and grow and the more crowns in the pot the more flowers ! Allison
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1855256

Oh Nanna,
I like that kind of trade. You send me five I send you five. Or you send me 15 sets of leaves ,I send you 15 . sets.
The best trade I had a couple years ago I sent this person 75 plants Av's some Strp's. And sense she was having plant problem she sent me 75 sets of lvs. I wanna tell you it was the best trade I ever had ! " I will never forget it" I had bought 100 leaves when Blooming jungles I think it was out of Canada was still selling lvs. And I also went to local group then. Each meeting I was given all kinds of leaves ! And they would sell raffle tickets I'd come home with 6 or more blooming plants ! Then the show/sales we got a discount and I think I bought the mini/semi's , in bloom plants for $ 2.00 each and the large plants in bloom for $ 3.00 with my discount ! FUN ! FUN ! We did not get any doubles either. With 20 thousand plus Av's out there I hardly get any doubles and even if I do I don't mind :))
Trading and sharing is fun ! Allison
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2005
8:30 PM

Post #1855270

Allison,
We are so glad you found us,too. And all of us ARE really nice folks who just love AV's & Gessies. Basically, we all like to share our plants & information. One of the things ME thinks makes our group so special is that we are still small and most only grow for the sheer pleasure of the AV's.

Our motto is to have good ole fashion fun!

Anyawy glad you found us.

MsC

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2005
8:40 PM

Post #1855293

Thanks MSC that's why I grow for FUN ! Av's are fun to grow and share ! It's nice to meet people like you all. Allison
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2005
11:17 PM

Post #1855544

I started to write more here about doing an AV swap, then realized I was straying waaaay off topic and should just start a new thread... so that's what I'll do!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:24 PM

Post #1881264

I finally got around to repotting my bonus plant from The Violet Gallery, and I took some pictures to show how I went about it!

Here's a "before" picture of the very leggy 'Allegro Appalachian Trail' AV:

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:27 PM

Post #1881269

When I looked closely at the stem, I could see several new little clumps of leaves emerging between some of the bigger leaf stems. So I figure this plant will not need much encouragement to branch out, but it does need a little help. I thought about where to make my cut so a few leaves and a couple of new leaf clusters would remain on the mother plant, and then I severed the main stem with a very sharp knife.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:28 PM

Post #1881271

The piece I cut off looked large enough to be broken up, so I separated it into a geneous crown cutting and another length of stem that had a new leaf cluster as well as a number of leaves.

Here is the crown cutting just after I cut it off:

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:31 PM

Post #1881276

And here is the crown cutting with a few of the lower leaves removed (and potted up, of course!) so that the nub at the base is a little longer... This makes it easier to pot up the crown and get good soil contact all around the bottom of the stem where new roots will form. I pack the potting soil pretty firmly around a crown cutting, too, and they it goes into a high humidity environment until roots form (Rob's has a good culture page on doing this).

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:34 PM

Post #1881282

The stem section had leaves going off in every direction. I decided to keep only those leaves that went up into the same plane as the new leaf cluster... basically, I tried to imagine how I would plant the stem segment into the soil, and I removed any leaves that would've pointed down into the pot.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1881286

Here are the crown and stem pieces in their new pots (mother plant is on the left).

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2005
10:37 PM

Post #1881293

Here is the mother plant of 'Allergro Appalachian Trail' in its new blue pot. I left space in the pot to plant the other 2 pieces... If I'd planned to show the plant, I would put only one plant in the pot, but adding the other pieces once they root will make the pot look full in no time at all (I hope).

Hmmm, looking again at this picture I'm thinking there may only be enough space to add that stem piece when it roots. The crown piece may just get a bigger pot of its own down the line.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2005 6:39 PM

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 18, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1881536

Wonderful ! Thnks for sharing .
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2005
1:45 AM

Post #1881603

If I hadn't read that culture info at the Rob's site about removing and repotting AV crowns, I don't think I'd have had the nerve to execute this procedure! I'll post an update picture down the line, and we'll see just how well it worked...
nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

November 18, 2005
11:34 AM

Post #1882017

Good Morning, you'all,

Have a picture of the very leggy Allergro Appalachian Trail that I was given at V-G in October. Mine had only one bloom and that was gone in two days. I decided to chop it up and put it all back in the same pot. That was about a week after we returned from Violet Gallery, which I think was a month ago.

I looked at her today and to my amazement there are at least 20 or 30 new growth succors. The blooms are now just starting. The plant is full and beginning to trail over the pot.

You can see the 3 or 4 main succors that have started, but under the leaves there are tons more. I will share another picture when the blooms start opening.

Nanna

This message was edited Nov 18, 2005 7:35 AM

Thumbnail by nannanavarro

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

November 18, 2005
11:38 AM

Post #1882022

I simply decided that before I started taking leaves or starts from AAT that I wanted to experiment with cutting the neck into several pieces and planting them in the same pot.

Is'nt it wonderful that we can have fun and experiement in the ways we want.

Nanna
nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

November 18, 2005
11:56 AM

Post #1882036

One last picture.

I purchased this violet at VG thinking is was a regular semi mini. It only had two blooms but I fell in love with the color, shaping and texture of the leaves.

Once home, I began to notice the way the blooms developed and raised above the plant. It sure looked like a trailer to me. I called VG to ask about the plant because I couldn't find it listed on any of the links. Sure enough it is a trailer or "has trailing tendencies."

Here is First Robin.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2005
12:54 PM

Post #1882110

Wow! So that's what mine might look like in a month or two...

Nanna, did you put the whole pot in a bag or terrarium while the pieces rooted? That's the consideration that had me putting the crown & stem piece into little pots for a bit... not enough room in the terrarium for the big pot, and I didn't want to do the baggie thing.

'First Robin' is lovely with those slightly bell-shaped blooms!
nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

November 18, 2005
1:29 PM

Post #1882154

Nope!! I jut cut them and stuck them in the pot with the mom. I thought since I had the plant set up with the wicking system I wouldn't have to worry about moisture.

I couldn't believe how fast it grew!! One other thing; I snipped off the center of each crown on all of my trailers. Rob said a little ugly now makes a lot of pretty later.

Nanna

This message was edited Nov 18, 2005 10:18 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2005
3:11 AM

Post #1936253

Update... The base part and the stem cutting from my 'Allegro Appalachian Trail' plant that I dissected above are both enthusiastically putting out new suckers! I'll have to get a photo...

I did manage to get a picture of the crown cutting, which is doing really well! It's blooming now, and popping up a bunch of buds as well.

MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2005
3:52 AM

Post #1936295

CritterO,
That's great. I found your advice wonderful for my trailers too.
I finally got brave enough and cut several back and I'm now having great luck with them sprouting new growth.
One of the variegated ones is really pretty and sprouting almost lime green/white foliage.

Pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing the info.

MsC
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 24, 2005
12:01 AM

Post #1937166

Nanna sometimes I take a crown off my trailers, or just one or two leaves every once in awhile make they trail like crazy ! Fun to play around with !
Chris_Lorry
Vero Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2005
11:58 AM

Post #1937666

Thanks for the info :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2006
9:29 AM

Post #1948711

Hey, scroll up to the November 17th picture of the stem cutting (6:34 PM), and then take a look here at how quickly it grew! The base of the original plant has grown like this also! Wow!

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 1, 2006
12:47 PM

Post #1948786

wow beautiful ! That's the same plant, it was so scragly and tiny before. great growing Critter !
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #1949245

Yes, that was the center section from the very leggy plant I started with... most of the leaves had to be removed in order to pot it up, but it did have a couple of suckers starting already when I planted it. I think my violets are really loving life under the lights!

I wonder if Nanna's 'Allegro Appalachian Trail' is blooming yet...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2006
11:23 PM

Post #1995917

Here's an updated look at the stem cutting from 'AAT'... soon it will be time to put it in a little pan pot!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2006
11:27 PM

Post #1995928

And here is my latest "slice & dice" victim...

My nice little plantlet of 'Rob's Sticky Wicket' from Deb had grown into a corkscrew but wasn't really trailing. I had a couple of "insurance" suckers rooted from it, so I went ahead with radical surgery, distributing several suckers and rooted pieces around in this pan pot. My fingers are crossed!

(ed. for typo)

This message was edited Jan 23, 2006 7:27 PM

junglebob
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2006
11:40 PM

Post #1995954

ok now i have to look at the violet gallery
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #1995979

ROTFL! They're taking orders for spring shipping, Bob! I sent an order for pickup, since Nanna & I are hoping to take another road trip up there. If you order, post your wish list before finalizing your order, because you know the rest of us will propagate the ones we're getting (Allison & I have both put in orders, and I think somebody else did too but can't find the thread).

I've become more fearless about popping crowns off my trailers, especially when I can see a couple of new crowns trying to grow just below where I want to cut. However, I did lose the original plant of my 'Teeny Bopper' when I de-crowned it, so this technique is not foolproof... fortunately, the crown cutting is still clinging to life.
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2006
11:39 AM

Post #1996840

Ok just wanted to let you know that I took a crown cutting from my huge NOID- not that anyone necessarily wants it but more for the experience. So far so good- after a week it's not dead so that has to be a good sign, right?
nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #1996975

Up to date of trailers following suggestions from Violet Gallery.

This is Robs Gundaroo received from BetsyJ in September of this year.

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
1:44 PM

Post #1996982

Allegro Appalachian Trail. She has filled out almost completely and is starting to bud.

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
1:47 PM

Post #1996988

Deer Path Trail. You can see she still leans to one side, but there are several crown from the main stem. She is in full bud now.

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
1:56 PM

Post #1997007

Milky Way Trail. Has filled in and is not beginning to bloom.

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #1997010

Three mini trailers from leaves I got this summer from MsC
Falling Snow
Ramblin Angle
and a pink noid

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
2:00 PM

Post #1997013

Robs Sticky Wicket is now completely recovered from the strip down

nannanavarro
Silver Spring, MD

January 24, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #1997016

And this is Maggy who watches faithfully and helps keep the bugs away.

junglebob
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #1997047

oh Magg is so cute...how wonderful...and your trailers...om gosh...just great
RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #1997049

Sticky Wicket is gorgeous! They all are! And Maggy is absolutely beautiful! I love dogs! Life just wouldn't be the same without them. :o)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2006
3:13 PM

Post #1997133

Thanks for those gorgeous pictures, Nanna! Maggy has the sweetest face... please hug her for me!

Deb, I hope you're not too depressed to see what I did with your 'Sticky Wicket' -- I really think it will come back better than ever!

My 'Rob's Gundaroo' plantlet is about to bloom! Fun!

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2051486

Jill how is your Rob's Sticky Wicket' from Deb from Jan. 23 rd. ?
Nanna you have some gorgous trailers too !
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #2051536

Oh, dear... that 'Sticky Wicket' still has not bounced back from its "procedure." I know you were hoping for a lovely update photo, LOL. But I have 2 nice cuttings and several plantlets in a leaf pot, so if it does fail, all is not lost.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 5, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7533143

I'm new to this thread, and to African violets from seed. I planted in January (from Parks, trailing violet mix) and five have germinated. The seeds were so tiny that I don't have a clue how many I planted - it looked like dust to me.
They're very tiny plants. How long will it take to become blooming size? Over what period of time can I expect additional germination from this planting, or is it done now?

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7533262

:-)

What fun!

I think it'll take them at least a year to get to blooming size. I haven't grown AVs from seed, but I've read others' accounts... you can prick out the little seedlings (and maybe get additional germination from the remaining seeds, I'm not sure), but I think I'd let them grow a bit bigger where they are if they're not super crammed together, maybe at least until they have 4 or more leaves.

Check out the african violet & gesneriad forum for more info!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM
Saturday Project nannanavarro 89 Apr 17, 2007 11:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America