Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Yellow jacket?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

July 7, 2001
11:30 AM

Post #7985

This guy was hanging out inside my house here. Is it a yellow jacket?

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2001
12:39 PM

Post #91469

got 2 guys here who say no, not a yellow jacket. Maybe a paper wasp or hornet of some kind. They aren't bug experts:)
Candy
Corinth, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 7, 2001
12:54 PM

Post #91481

Hi Dave,

It sure does not look like the yellow jacket who stung me just yesterday. The first sting in years! I also have no idea what it could be. I am sure someone will identify it.
Candy
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2001
4:51 PM

Post #91546

http://www.evergreen.edu/user/serv_res/research/arthropod/TESCBiota/Vespidae/kweskin97/jacket.htm

The link above has great pictures and info on how to tell a yellow jacket from a wasp
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

July 7, 2001
5:43 PM

Post #91582

Dave, that is what I call a flowerfly! Great disguise, huh? It is a fly, who for defensive reasons looks like a wasp. They visit flowers for nectar. You can tell it is a fly when you look at the eyes and wing-shape. Also, the abdomen will be shorter, and often flattened.

Okay, after looking it up, it is likely the american hover fly, Metasyphus americanus. Adult drinks nectar, larva preys on aphids and larvae of scale insects.

HTH,
Cedar
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2001
12:23 AM

Post #91703

Here is a fly that looks just like your bug:

http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/Diptera/syrphid/milesi.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America