Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Does anyone know.....

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 176
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gwydion
Kitchener, ON
(Zone 5A)

July 7, 2001
5:57 PM

Post #8006

I have had this flower for many years. I have no idea what it is and would appreciate any help.
It is a night bloomer. The flower is approx. 2 to 3 inches across and a lemon yellow. Every night at dusk I get a new one which prompyly dies in the morning. In the picture you can see the new flower buds waiting to open. The leaf is much like a dandelion. The seed pod is black.

Thumbnail by Gwydion
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2001
11:27 PM

Post #91682

This looks like a evening primrose of some sort (oenothera). Not sure which one though. It looks similar to Missouri primrose but I don't recall the leaves being serrated like that.
Baa

July 7, 2001
11:51 PM

Post #91695

Gwydion

How many petals on the flower?
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2001
2:37 AM

Post #91760

I have several of these plants, my tag says Oenethera acaulis "Aurea"; my favorite plant place also lists oenethera flava as having serrated leaves-the 2nd he lists as pale yellow. I love these, they (both) open exactly at dusk, you can actually see the petals unwind. They have a tap root, so transplanting has to be done carefully. They do re-seed, as the seed pod is at the bottom of the spent bloom. I went out to get the tag and had 17 in bloom. Enjoy!
Gwydion
Kitchener, ON
(Zone 5A)

July 8, 2001
12:47 PM

Post #91893

That is most definitely it! Oenothera acaulis aurea. I couldn't find much on the net about this particular Oenothera but through trial and error I've figured out it's wants and needs over the last few years anyway.
Thankyou all so much. I thought this would be more difficult.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America