Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Your Favorite Rose Book and Why

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 122, Views: 277
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2005
11:49 AM

Post #1872825

hi everyone, altho i plan on getting alot of my rose info from you all in the coming months and years (LOL), i still would like to buy a book to help me along. as i have mentioned in another thread, i am totally rose-stupid at this point and being as anal as i am, i need a book or two or three, just to cover basics. thanks in advance for your input. debi
repeatbloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2005
7:49 PM

Post #1873441

As far as rose books are concerned, here are some books that I think have particularly good content for each topic in an index that I have created for myself over time. The topic appears first, followed by the book title and relevant page numbers:

Anatomy of a Rose
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pg. 27
Roses for Dummies pg. 26

Bloom, Flower, Blossom, and Petal Characteristics
Roses for Dummies pp. 28-31
Ultimate Rose pg. 157

Blooming Cycles
Roses for Dummies pg.35

Classifications & Characteristics
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 28-35
Ortho’s All About Roses pp. 6-7, 51
Roses for Dummies pp. 18-22
Ultimate Rose (best for bloom photos that accompany descriptions)
Better Homes & Gardens Roses pp. 14-57

Companion Plants
The Art of Gardening with Roses (by Graham Stuart Thomas) pp. 153-158
Roses for Dummies pp. 77-84

Containers & Pots
Roses for Dummies pp. 78-92

Cutting and Conditioning Roses for Personal Display
Roses for Dummies pp. 288-299
American Rose Society website: [HYPERLINK@www.ars.org]

Diseases and Pests
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 118-119, 122-127
American Rose Society Rosarian’s Manual pg. X-11
Roses – Time/Life Enclyclopedia of Gardening pp. 56-57

Drainage
Taylor’s 50 Best Roses pg. 67

Fertilization
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 97

Glossaries
Ultimate Rose pp. 156-157
Taylor’s 50 Best Roses pp. 120-122

Hardiness & Heat Zones
American Rose Society website: [HYPERLINK@www.ars.org]

Landscaping with Roses
Ortho’s All About Roses pg. 21
Roses for Dummies pp. 71-76

Nutrient Deficiencies
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 98-99
American Rose Society Rosarian’s Manual pg. VIII-13

Planting Guidelines
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 76-77
Roses – Time/Life Enclyclopedia of Gardening pp. 44-47
Roses for Dummies pp. 204-207

Propagation
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 160-161

Pruning
The Complete Rose Book pp. 26-27 (hybrid teas); pp. 28-29 (foribundas); pp. 30-31 (shrubs); pp. 32-33 (climbers); pp. 34-35 (ramblers); pp. 36-37 (standards)
Ortho’s All About Roses pp. 46-49
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 106-115
Ortho’s The Easiest Roses to Grow pp. 18-19
Roses – Time/Life Enclyclopedia of Gardening pg. 53, 67 (climbers)
Roses for Dummies pp. 228, 234
Ultimate Rose (new vs. established) pg. 146

Roots
Roses for Dummies pp. 190-191

Schedule/Calendar
Ortho Complete Guide to Roses pp. 100-103

Soil
Roses for Dummies pp. 200-203

Sunlight & Shade
Roses for Dummies pg. 49

Terminology
Roses for Dummies pg. 23 (denominations)

Winterization
Roses for Dummies pp. 243-244
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2005
7:52 PM

Post #1873446

What an impressive list..

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2005
11:33 PM

Post #1873759

WOWEEE (and YIKES) thank you soooooo much. there is enough info here to keep me going a long time. you have no idea how much i appreciate your taking the time to compile this. i think it appropo that Roses for Dummies will be my first purchase! thanks again repeatbloomer. debi
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2005
11:36 PM

Post #1873769

OK
since you asked FAVOURITE -- I will try to narrow myself down to my past and present.

My all time forever and forever favourite rose book is Graham Stuart Thomas ( just a pseudonym for God -- whenever I see the Time Bandits, with god appearing as a little man in a suit... I think of GST)

anyway three books in one; published by Timber Press in 1994
"the Graham Stuart Thomas Rose Book" a man who loves roses, is eloquent on their behalf, but not, as too many modern writers, blind to their faults. if it dies as soon as look at you, he says so. If it is rare (not a j&p oreo hypersell) he tells you why you should look. He teaches you to love roses of all sorts so painlessly, drawing on a lifetime of experience.

My present love also from Timber Press; (the true gardeners publisher par excellence, may their name never wither. ) Charles Quest-Ritson Climbing Roses of the World -- again because of his eloquence and his forthright style. AND his truly international guide to all the climbing roses fit to grow, with open slurs on those that are not. What is it about these Brits, so unafraid to call a dog a dog???? MORE of this would be good --- heaven knows the companies send enough promotion.

I own about 30 books on roses alone-- some of these are fabulous, some utterly useless. Since this thread is personal favourites not swank, I will say no more; except that the back of Charles Q-r gives pithy advice on roses that replaces at least 20 of them.

M

This message was edited Nov 13, 2005 5:38 PM
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2005
1:11 AM

Post #1873931

We have yet another Rosarian in our midst, by the sounds of how many and the kinds of material she has! My shelves are remplis with Beales 20th Century and Classic roses...Graham Thomas's books, and, I think my favourite, really, is the Roger Phillip & Martyn Rix bible, simply called, "Roses"...but the best info for around here in zone 8a, is, definitely, my friend, Brad Jalbert's book, "Roses for British Columbia"...Elaine
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2005
4:16 AM

Post #1874222

Elaine, I have and love P&R and like it a lot, but do you think mb their newest, which I am covetting night and day may be better -- covering stuff that isn't on the website?? (don't forget that saying oh no, not at all will save me money :)
M

This message was edited Nov 14, 2005 12:06 AM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2005
12:05 PM

Post #1874513

i think i need to rephrase my question or maybe clarify it for my own good. "favorite" means different things to different people, so my question is now, what is the best book for an absolute beginner? i already ordered Roses for Dummies, but if there are others, i'm game.

you all have to understand that i don't know a tea from a floribunda from a romantic from a...you get the picture. i would like a book that tells me how the roses are classified, how they get their names, what it all means...thanks again, debi
repeatbloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2005
2:57 PM

Post #1874756

For technical knowledge and know-how, I would select the Ortho Complete Guide to Roses from the list I printed above.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2005
4:12 PM

Post #1874882

Oh, what a great thread...I know I will end up babbeling on a bit here, but - oh well! I love roses, and I LOVE to read...so naturally I have quite a few books on roses. At present 16, with several new Amazon purchases on the way, and 3 from e-bay being shipped soon! Since I have so many books, and no one wants to hear about them all ...what are you most interested in reading up on?? General care?? History?? Pruning? Descriptions of the rose classes (Hybrid Tea, Old Garden Roses, etc...), or a book to read up on specific roses you are looking to buy?? The thing about rose books, actually any gardening book, is that some are really good on 1 or 2 things, and barely skirt by other topics. Some are written specifically about, say - Climbing Roses, and so go into them in greater detail than a general rose book. What are you most curious about right now?? The 'Roses for Dummies' is a GREAT starting point, and covers a lot of really good, general rose info and care advice. Is there any other area you would like a book to cover??

Let me know!

Jamie

This message was edited Nov 14, 2005 9:13 AM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2005
1:25 AM

Post #1875979

Jamie, LOL, thanks for asking. i know this sounds really stupid, but i find it difficult to proceed with a "passion" until i know all the ins and outs of it. i can't just go out, buy a rose and plant it and say to people, "o, that's so and so rose". it is maddening even to me, but i need to know all the different kinds, teas, etc. i need to know some history, i need to know how they are classed and rated. it all looks so mysterious on the rose sites. i am pretty confident in my gardening abilities, i know disease and pest and nutrition and will brush up on all of the specifics for roses. i don't think i will be killing any of the little devils at any rate. thanks everyone for your continued comments. debi
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1876187

Debi, that is too hilarious!!! I lay in bed last night thinking about rose books, why I like what I like and why I find others useless; or at the least, not relevant.

I love to read. Really thats the end of the story; but I love to read people's experience with roses. i love to hear about the duds as well as clinical "objective" information about rose. I love hearing a dog called a mutt (and separately, and less admirably, I love to hear people rationalize that their mutt really is a rare, but unrecognized...)

I love reading Graham Thomas, becausehe puts the long history of the rose out there for me to get some perspective on my tiny niche in time; and because he never once advances the idea that caring for roses is so timeconsuming you would have to be independently wealthy or the scion of a pesticide company to do it well.

Charles Quest -- is the same; full of down to earth advice, and lots and lots of stories.

I agree with Elaine, above. For getting a visual sense of the roses that can be grown; no-one gives more pics (the clearest form of understanding than Phillips and Rix. they have several books on roses alone; and what is most significant, the info on caring for these wonderful plants is simply presented in the front.

Brown side down; trim new bare root plants top and bottom. bonemeal in planting hole; water if it isn't going to rain. Fall is best. Spray preventative March, then again a month and a half later. (substance depends on your politics) Make the soil good, feed if you get around to it. Don;t prune until the forsythia blooms in your area.

That will do most of them, making them grow instead of fading away, -- but like you, I wasn't ready to start until I had the atlas. In addition to the ones I recommend above; I recommend sending for Peter Beales catalogue; a gold mine of info - hxs, shade tolerance, fragrance etc. You can log onto the site; but it is a lot of fun going throug the catalogue and he only charges postage.

I hope this is useful not just more blabbeling.
m

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2005
4:16 AM

Post #1876319

Roses for Dummies is the first book that I read on roses, it is the one that helped get me started on all this...
My favorite book is In Seach of Lost Roses by Thomas Christopher...(who will be in Dallas at the rose conventions in October 2006 I am so excited!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2005
10:48 PM

Post #1877605

Hortensia, thanks for all the info. i, too, love to read and maybe that is part of it, just having that info "in my hands" makes it real to me. i once knew a man who had a small black shepard mix with half her tail missing. he was convinced she was a rare and royal breed called Egyptian Carrier (a breed that i have never to this day heard of) LOL. believe me, she was a mutt.

not babbling at all! i have tons to read, digest and research-the way i like it! debi
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2005
5:30 PM

Post #1878939

As a newbie, I wanted to know before I bought... but I couldn't make sense out of the descriptions... So I bought a David Austin & then ...a grandiflora... & for me actually seeing the bush & then reading the descriptions made things clearer... Just call me a...dirty hands on... kind of reader...LOL

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2005
10:26 PM

Post #1879493

i know what you mean. sometimes that is the best way, just not always the way my twisted mind works! i have to admit tho that all of the tropical gardening i did in the keys wasn't always book first. books make things easier and clearer alot of times, but there is nothing like "dirty" experience. LOL
repeatbloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2005
11:38 PM

Post #1879635

To say nothing of "dirty books"...

;-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2005
12:00 AM

Post #1879698

and the best part is when we can visit DG and "dish" the dirt with our fellow gardeners.
ElizabethF
Taylors, SC

November 17, 2005
12:34 AM

Post #1879762

I am w/ repeatbloomer---Orthos Complete Guide To Roses.---so far, hands down. Found it at the library and ordered it on Amazon before I even had to return it!!
I also have The Encyclopedia of Roses by Charles and Brigid Quest-Ritson which I like mostly because of the vastness of the pictures and descriptions.
Thanks for the thread---I love to read about them too---but I definitely want lots of pictures along w/ those descriptions!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2005
11:18 AM

Post #1880392

thanks everybody who posted on this thread. please don't stop posting. i ordered a couple of books and they are on the way (but i will be out of town for the coming holiday. when i return i will devour them and report in. everybody have a safe and happy thanksgiving and i will talk to you in a couple of weeks. debi
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2005
2:15 PM

Post #1883935

okay I'm going to go to ebay to buy ---Orthos Complete Guide To Roses.---

What about a good book on old roses? any suggestions
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1883976

In Search of Lost Roses by Thomas Christopher...do you mean OGR's? This is it!
I am having problems with the computer, or else I would wax eloquently, on why I love this book...

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 10:44 AM
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2005
1:59 AM

Post #1884851

I have recently bought a couple books on both eBay and Amazon - really great rose books!! One was 'Gardening with Roses' by Patrick Taylor (1995) This book is so much better than so many others in that it provides so much more detailed information about each Rose as a plant - Fullness, wide or narrow, foliage, toothed, shiny, large, small, burgundy etc.., plant combo ideas for each and every rose, and so much more. After reading one of his 2-3 paragraph descriptions of a particular rose, you truly know if it would be a good choice for your garden. I feel this type of info is more important that a billion pictures of rose blossoms, and many other rosarians do as well. The number of prominent rose gardeners that recommend this book is quite telling. GREAT BOOK!!!

Another special rose book is: 'Roses, a Celebration: 32 Eminent Gardeners & Their Roses' by Wayne Winterrowd (2003) I love talking to fellow gardeners about the roses they love and why, this book does just that with some very famous gardeners. I have only gotten to read an excerpt of this book, but I was entranced!! And now I am looking for the mailman every day to get it and read the rest!!!

I have several more neat Rose books, and will post about them when they get here..I can't wait... :-)
Jamie
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2005
4:19 AM

Post #1885081

Jamie, i agree with you so much about " I feel this type of info is more important that a billion pictures of rose blossoms," The rose pictures only feed my (already insatiable) appetite for MORE MORE MORE. Thw experience of other rost fanatics; their discussion of the faults and virtues of a particular rose are far more enriching.

IN light of this, I would like to add another couple of books which I don't YET own; but have ordered

The illustrated encyclopedia of roses / general editor, Mary Moody ; consulting editor, Peter Harkness.
Published Portland, Or. : Timber Press, 1997 a truly inspired read through ALL TYPES of roses

Author Scanniello, Stephen.
Title A year of roses / Stephen Scanniello.
Published New York : H. Holt, c1997

a fine, though climate specific, book written by someone who understand the meaning of "care"

and my current longing book " Best rose guide : a comprehensive selection / Roger Phillips, Martyn Rix.
Published Toronto : Firefly Books, 200

the latest from this dynamic duo.

M
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2005
7:25 PM

Post #1887446

Although this book doesn't focus on just roses, I have to add to the list, a fabulous book on natural gardening.
The approach is not just "organic" pest control or fertilizer.
It's about how you can use natural products to build your soil, how you can provide nutrients to you plants that also make them more pest and disease resistant.
The book is out of print *grumbel grumble* but you can get it from amazon used books http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561707163/102-8302824-4277712?v=glance&n=283155 At a very reasonable price
The Complete Natural Gardener

ISBN 1561707163
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2005
3:21 AM

Post #1903938

I was looking at the reviews of rose books on the Amazon site and noticed that "Roses for Dummies" apparently has a list of the 10 roses beginners should avoid. I'm just curious. What are they? I don't have the book, so could someone who does have the book please tell me (and the rest of us) which ones they are?
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2005
4:52 AM

Post #1904042

The book has a list of "Ten roses never to grow...unless you know what you are doing"

1 - Austrian Copper Rose (Rosa foetida) - the book says this is the original source of blackspot in roses...and is never without it

2 - 'Brandy' - So tender it should be grown as an annual in all but the warmest winter climates

3 Climbing Orchid masterpiece - every disease know to roses will find this rose...avoid it!

4 - 'French Lace' - same as #2

5 - Lady Banks Rose (Rosa Banksiae) - This very vigorous rose will grow and grow and grow...do not plant it unless you are Edward Scissorhands

6 - 'Mermaid' - Rampant grower, will kill a tree if allowed to grow into it. spreads by underground runners...difficult to get rid of...avoid

7 - 'Mint Julep' Avoid this rose because it is just so ugly.

8 - 'Newport Fairy' - same reason as #6

9 - 'Snowfire' - this rose has thorns that are near deadly...very difficult to handle even to prune...

and last but not least...
10 - 'Sterling Silver' - This rose was a big hit when it first came out, the first mauve for retail sale. But it has been much improved upon and doesn't stand up to all the newer mauves...Lady X, Fragrant Plum, Angel Face, or Stainless Steel'
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1904058

Oh, thank you, Jamie. It's an interesting list, but I don't agree with some of these. I'll say why and I hope others will chime in.

# 1, 3, 6, 7, 8: I'm not qualified to comment because I've never grown them.

# 2 and 4: I guess I don't have to worry about this in my zone. These roses never suffer from the weather here, but many people I know think French Lace should be avoided because of its weak stems.

# 5: What's wrong with vigorous?

# 9: Snowfire's a wonderful rose, and I've never noticed the thorns being any worse than the thorns on other roses, so they can't be that bad. Besides, this shouldn't be grounds for avoiding it. We all expect thorns when we grow roses, right?

# 10: Silly reason. I'm growing or have grown Sterling Silver and three of the other four mentioned here. They all look completely different, so this reason is relevant only if you're going to grow just one mauve rose. There aren't many people in this forum that would limit themselves in that way.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2005
5:48 AM

Post #1904069

I was hoping people who had grown these roses would chime in...the book was so specific in its reasoning with regard to these roses, I just knew there would be some dispute on at least some of them. I tend to agree with you Zuzu about most of those you mentioned. The only one I happen to agree with the book for me, just ME in MY garden, is the two or three listed as very rampant in growth. I don't have room here on my lot to grow anything that is likely to want the kind of room this type of rose needs. But that sure doesn't mean others should avoid them as the book says, it is just a question of right rose/right place...and my gardens are not the right place. But you have more than one rose that is amazingly well grown and as vigorous as they want to be...and someday I might have the room to grow them...I can only hope!

Can't wait to see what others have to say :o)

Jamie
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2005
6:29 AM

Post #1904091

I think I'll take the book's word on some of these. I won't mind avoiding #1 and #3 if they're really that disease-prone, although I'd also put Baronne Prevost in the category of roses that get every disease imaginable (at least in my garden). I grow it anyway, though, because it's so pretty.

The same goes for #6 and #8. I don't think I want anything rampant by means of underground runners. That sounds too hard to control. As for the Banksiae, though, I recommend it to anyone. I have three of them, one on a set of two arbors, one on the garage wall, and one on the back fence. They're big, but they're not as big as the climbing Cecile Brunners or the Mme Alfred Carrieres, and they're only half the size that Dorothy Perkins grows to in just a few months. Besides, they have one major advantage -- NO THORNS. Who cares if you have to keep pruning a rose that has no thorns?

Here, by the way, is Mint Julep, in case anyone else is curious about this "ugly" rose. I think I've seen uglier roses.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A4269&tab=10

On a completely different note, I knew it was raining all day today, but the rain gauge says I got almost 4 1/2 inches of rain since yesterday evening. Isn't that amazing?
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2005
7:37 AM

Post #1904115

I planted Lady Banks, because Roses for Dummies, told me not to...and I have never regretted it...the fact that it has no thorns is a definate plus, as Zuzu says...I am not sure about Mermaid spreading via underground runners, I wonder about the truth of that..as I have never heard anyone mention it. I know it is a monster, with terrible thorns...Michael Shoup at ARE says to make sure where you plant it, is where you will want it to stay, as it is so painful if you have to move it. I have a friend, who managed to get a thorn of Mermaid stuck in her hand, and it went into THE BONE! she had to have a series of IV antibiotis...It is pretty but evil (as she says) this same person, refers to French Lace, as "defoliated sticks, with a flower on the top" I have taken her at her word, and I don't grow French Lace...I don't know about any of the others

This message was edited Dec 2, 2005 2:38 AM
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2005
8:35 AM

Post #1904133

What an interesting list ( now THAT was a pet and a slap if I've ever heard one -- sorta oops) I've only grown French Lace and banksiae lutea; and have just planted Sterling Silver, so can't really comment from my experience on the roses mentioned.

The worm of suspicion that stirs in my brain is why 10 (--eeww, I wish I'd phrased that differently, I went on to say the other worm, but the thought of having worms in my brain...well, lets change the subject)

Ok, here are my cavils: why 10? I can think of lots more that I would strongly discourage a beginner from planting, because they were just TOO MUCH WORK, and that is what puts people off roses (just reading Taylors guide to roses, one (forget which) is said to be "disease resistant but subject to blackspot and mildew LOL, or actually Cry OL)

5 and 6 whats wrong with big? and if banksiae, which banksiae and why not Paul's Himalayan Musk or Kiftsgate or or or...

and if Mermaid spreads underground (which could be true for all of me) and if that is wicked, then goodbye rugosa, gallica and philadelphus Galahad :>) just checking to see if you're still awake.

and 6 again -- I hate that kill a tree stuff. I really really really doubt it. but "experts" are always warning against climbing things up trees.

and if it kills an ugly tree, BONUS!!!!!!

7&9 ugly is as ugly does -- I'm not wild about rosa chinensis viridiflora. But you can grow it. even love it.

On the other hand, I don't grow many of these. Was there a top 10 do grow list??? That would give some perspective on this "expert"
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2005
8:49 AM

Post #1904135

Where can I buy a philadelphus Galahad? Sounds like my kind of plant! Oh wait! you didn't describe it...okay, truth be known, I sometimes choose plants, by whether I like their name or not, and that one sounds like a gallant plant...

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2005
8:54 AM

Post #1904136

The parent of Mermaid, the MaCartney Rose, suckers (underground runners) but Mermaid itself is not supposed to do so.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2005 4:00 AM
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2005
9:35 AM

Post #1904156

That's so funny, Melva, because I often buy plants for their names too, but mostly because they sound like delicious desserts. I have so many plants with names that include sorbet, parfait, etc. I also name my cats after food -- Mango, Chutney, Lumpia, Vanilla, Ambrosia, Waldorf (the salad, not the hotel), etc.

Hortensia, I also doubt that a rose could kill a tree and I would be very grateful to a rose that could kill some trees.

Here's my Snowfire. Do you see any horrible thorns? This isn't a baby. It's about 4 feet tall and at least 5 or 6 years old, but it still hasn't developed any killer thorns.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2005
9:47 AM

Post #1904160

...tiptoeing in...ssshhh.

yes Melva, philadelphus Galahad, though he runs around (saving things, no doubt) is a wonderful plant. tolerates lots of shade; blooms his head off and has a wonderful fragrance somewhat different from yer basic mockorange. its a P. lewisii hybrid, (I think) and has that wilder scent; but stays short (about 4 feet with me) You could plant the rose Great North Easter aka Sir Galahad nearby too!!!

but then wouldn't you need Magic Dragon for him to slay??

...tiptoing out, who me, hijack a thread?...ssshhh...
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2005
1:32 PM

Post #1904348

I already have Magic Dragon (the rose) so I am set...
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1904537

There you go, then --- and you could plant the lupine Noble Maiden, too!
M

ps what is the name of the white delphinium of the King Arthur series. Is it Galahad too????

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2005
4:07 PM

Post #1904576

you are not hijacking this thread by any means hortensia! i forgot i started it and have to read the whole thing again this afternoon. i just got the dummies book and haven't read it thru yet. (i did see the list) and i will be able to make comments when i get my act together (after the house move) LOL but i did think the 10 list was interesting and had planned on introducing it for discussion, you all just beat me to it! debi
ElizabethF
Taylors, SC

December 2, 2005
7:02 PM

Post #1904851

I currently have Mint Julip in my garden. Bought it beacause the flowers were interesting, pink and white w/ green. But I must say what is UGLY about the plant is it's lack of foliage and form. Would I buy another, NO. Will I chuck it, NO. I have discreetly placed it behind some tall daylilies! It is, as someone described another rose, a stick w/ a flower on top.
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2005
8:45 PM

Post #1905021

LOL Elizabeth, I have heard that & actually believed it up until a couple of years ago... And there is a reason a rose is held in such high esteem, but there ought to be warnings attached to those critters that don't live up to its name.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2005
11:49 PM

Post #1905345

The other Top Ten list is a list of the 10 most popular roses for the last several years...It contains mostly Hybrid Teas, a Floribunda, and a couple shrub roses...so naturally those of us that Love our OGRs, we may have issues w/ this list as well. Here goes:
1)Blaze - Red climber
2)Bonica - Pink Shrub
3)Chrysler Imperial - Red hybrid tea
4)Double Delight - Red & white hybrid tea
5)Iceburg - white floribunda
6)Mister Lincoln - Red Hybrid tea
7)Peace - Yellow and Pink hybrid tea
8)Queen Elizabeth - Pink grandiflora
9)Simplicity - Pink shrub
10)Tropicana - Coral-orange hybrid tea

I, myself, just me - am less than impressed with this list of roses, and can't say that I would buy any of them - they just don't fit what I am doing in MY garden. They are great for anyone else who chooses them. It is just not a list I would put put together for me, me and my garden! I don't want anyone to tell me all the reasons I should love 'em, I know they are popular...just not my type. Any other opinions out there??? Thoughts??

Melva, Zuzu, Hortensia ~~ I read all your comments about the 10 not to plant...interesting comment one and all!!

Jamie
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2005
2:12 AM

Post #1905548

The only one of the last list that I have grown, was Queen Elizabeth...she went bye bye mainly because she had no scent at all...
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2005
3:41 AM

Post #1905667

For someone who wants to be interesting, even intriguing, and thinks of herself as an eccentric person full of surprises, it's a terrible shock to learn that I am the proverbial statistically average individual. I not only have grown all 10 of these roses, I'm still growing 9 of the 10, and mostly in multiples: 4 Blaze, 3 Bonica, 5 Peace, 5 Queen Elizabeth, 25 Pink Simplicity (not to mention 5 Red Simplicity), 4 Tropicana, and 1 each of Chrysler Imperial, Double Delight, and Iceberg.

The only one I'm not growing is Mr. Lincoln, and that's for reasons beyond my control. If it weren't such a gopher magnet, I'd still have the 15 or 20 I've planted over the years. It's a gorgeous rose with a fabulous smell, and the gophers definitely agree. One of the ones I planted lasted no more than an hour before it was gobbled. Another was in a container, and the gophers ate the bottom of the container to get at Mr. Lincoln's roots.

As for the other nine, I can't say any of them are favorites, and yet they're still here. Roses come and go in my garden. I lose them for various reasons, mainly the gophers, but also because they might be too fragile for my less than comprehensive care. I have occasionally gone years without fertilizing my roses, last year I never got around to pruning them, and sometimes they succumb to my long hot summers no matter how much I water them by hand, but not the ones on this list. They survive all of those things. Furthermore, nine of the ten apparently don't appeal to gophers.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2005
5:16 AM

Post #1905761

The list does say they are the ten consistently most purchased roses year after year, so they must be doing something right. Probably many somethings... I have a 'Double Delight' that was here when I moved in, and that darn little bush blooms and blooms, and the fragrance...WOW!! I had a 'Peace' here as well when I bought the house...but I believe the complete lack of care and pruning it received for the 4 years before I got here were to much for it...it coughed its last poor bloom early this summer and I released it to plant heaven with its buddies 'Sunsprite', 'Barbara Bush' and one other yellow that also couldn't bounce back after all the lack of care before I moved in. 'Ingrid Bergman', 'Sunset Celebration', DD, 'Don Juan' all survived the neglect and are shining examples of how good culture can really make a difference in a rose bush. When I got here I assessed all the plantings over that first year. Many things were overgrown, lacking nutrition, not in the right amount of sun, or just plumb in the wrong climate. I revived what worked well design-wise here, tried to resuscitate what I could and have torn out many things that just didn't belong, or were past saving. But those darn roses that I mentioned above took a bit more time to evaluate. Ultimately the 4 I took (or am taking) out were given every chance...and might have just not been all that great of plants. The lady who lived here first bought a lot of plants at K-mart and Home Depot...maybe the roses weren't as good of specimens as I tend to buy from Rose Nurseries and Rose growers...I don't know. But the 4 that are staying are really pretty and now that they are all shaped up, don't need much attention from me to look great!

Enough rambling...
Jamie
pic is of 'Ingrid Bergman'

Thumbnail by jamie68
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2005
5:32 AM

Post #1905776

mmmm
that list is altogether too much what I imagined. Apologies beforehand to those who like Oreo cookies; but to me, these are the Oreo cookies of the rose world. Nice enough, if you want sugar, but carefully massaged to appeal to the largest possible market without offending any distinctive (ie characterful) taste.

There is nothing wrong with any of these roses. No reason to be ashamed of their presence in a collection...or their absence. Easy to bud, widely available, easy to grow...

I put them in a lot of commercial plantings; they are good for "display".and management. I don't have one of them in my own garden and the only two I toy with are Queen Elizabeth (as a tree) and Double Delight (thank you jamie, been listening to the dire disease warnings and resisting this lovely)

hung for a second staring at this post. No-one is more discriminating a grower than Zuzu, who grows all of these. But I'll bet my bottom dollar that if she was moving to a teeny tiny space with only 10 roses for joy; these guys would stay behind.

M
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2005
6:11 AM

Post #1905792

You're definitely right about that, M. These are not roses I would take along if I had to move and I were limited to 10. They'll always be in my top 100, however. Most of them smell great, and they never fail to bloom like crazy, even after all these years. The Simplicity roses have the added advantage of not being grafted. My pink hedge of 25 has been nibbled by gophers for 20 years now, but the bushes never surprise me by coming back as Dr. Hueys.

Aside from their survival characteristics, there is the consideration of price. I bought most of these when I was a single parent, barely scraping along from one paycheck to the next, and in the case of these roses, the price was right. They're the ones you can always find in the cheaper-than-cheap bins at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, etc. Later on, I still bought them occasionally, especially after the gophers had been particularly active and I didn't want to pay $12.95 or more for something that ultimately would be gopher food.

In short, I am no rose snob. Even today, if I had a hole in a flower bed and I saw a Double Delight for $1.99, I would buy it in a New York minute. I enjoy collecting the more obscure roses, especially the "lost" and "forgotten" hybrid teas and floribundas that have disappeared from the trade and are difficult to find, but there's something to be said for guaranteed good performance at a low cost too.
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2005
6:52 AM

Post #1905811

Well said, Zuzu and I think that points like that are the ones that these "top number" lists fail to encompass. I bought a whole pile of roses this fall on sale --- if I had chosen them freely from all the roses available to grow on the planet would each and every one have made the cut???? Most unlikely.

Am I delignted with them? You betcha. Am I looking forward to seeing them bloom NEXT YEAR, instead of umpty ump years down the road.? Ditto in spades.

As the years go by; will there be some I chuck?? Perhaps. but only for active offenses. "guaranteed good performance at a low cost" adding "available where you live" should be a category all on its own.

I got Sterling Silver, for example, much maligned above, for 3 bucks. It is in the ground behind some senecio. Myself, I can hardly wait to see this combo...
M
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2005
7:47 PM

Post #1906437

hortensia & Zuzu ~~ I agree with you both in all of the above. As I order roses, and order more...and more roses, those 10 above are not what draws me. But this WAS a list of the top-selling roses over the years - and these 10 roses do have what many drawn to roses, or that show them, would want...long season of bloom, BIG flowers, fragrance for the most part, and disease resistance in most (I know at least one of them are prone to BS in my garden). As well as the cost/availability factor - all these add up to top-sellers. I won't be adding any of them to my garden, but they will probably continue to sell well for years to come.

I think with all the lovely, revived interest in OGR - maybe someday a list of the 10 most purchased will include at least 1 or 2 oldie but goodies...maybe??? Hopefully!! My own personal top 10 is almost all OGR - Nicole Carol Miller, Kaleidoscope, Lady of the Mist, and Mary Rose, as well as all my new "Blue" roses, are still beloved by me though!!
Jamie
ElizabethF
Taylors, SC

December 4, 2005
1:03 AM

Post #1906802

There was a book by Amanda Beales (I believe) I borrowed from the library awhile back which had several lists I enjoyed. I copied the list of must have "roses for the scent garden" and the "roses for the shade garden".
I find authors' and davegardeners' lists very helpful to narrow down what to look at more closely when I am searching for what to put in my rose beds next. But when all is said and done, I take my list with me and take home only the ones that catch my eye (or nose!) as the case may be. Afterall, to each her own...it would be boring if we all had the same roses in our gardens.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2005
10:01 AM

Post #1907217

Elizabeth, if you still have those lists, it would be interesting to know which roses she recommended for the scent garden and shade garden.
ElizabethF
Taylors, SC

December 4, 2005
1:24 PM

Post #1907353

Zuzu, I will be happy to find them and post them. I will probably post them in a new topic thread in case anyone else would be interested.
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1907582

I love lists... LOL as is evidenced in my pockets, my drawers, my shelf, my refrigerator...
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1907584

I would also LOVE to read those lists - both of those, fragrance and shade, would be really interesting. I could probably use some roses off of both lists in my garden!!

Jam
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2005
7:43 PM

Post #1907847

I would like to see those lists as well, Elizabeth. I love lists; Graham Thomas has a couple of fabulous ones in the back of his books recommending climbing roses for specific uses (pergola, arch, fence, big ugly shed hiders, etc) Maybe we should have a new "favourite list" thread!
M
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2005
9:50 PM

Post #1907990

Good idea!!!
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2005
12:18 AM

Post #1908194

oooh let's go for it.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
1:55 AM

Post #1908377

jamie, i think you were the one on a thread that recommended bayers all in one. i bought some today for other plants since i don't have roses yet. it looks good! thanks for the tip (if it was you) debi
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2005
3:42 AM

Post #1908591

Yes debi, that was me. At the very beginning of summer - or late spring - aphids were devouring my roses new, tender growth. So after I tried spraying them with water, and brushing them off, neither of which worked, I went to a rose nursery, and asked for help. They used that Bayer product...the three-in-one systemic insecticide/fertilizer/fungicide. I only used it once, after that I only used Alfalfa Tea and Messenger for the rest of the season. I never had a single other problem, on any of my roses. I sure did like that it was a systemic and not a spray, as I have kids and dogs that are always by the roses.

Let me know how you like it - I always like to hear of other gardeners experiences!!

Jam
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
3:45 AM

Post #1908595

Is it a soil drench? Does it include a fungicide? I would love to find a cure for Dorothy Perkins' mildew, and spraying is out of the question, because it's HUGE.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1908679

Yes Zuzu ~~ It is applied to the soil at the base of the rose...and it is also a fungicide/insecticide/fertilizer

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/532121/

I think I talked more about it on the thread at that link...if it doesn't answer your questions, I will be back on DG in about a 1/2 hour...2 more roses to plant out there and it is getting cold...BRRRR!!

Jamie
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
5:19 AM

Post #1908682

Out there? Out there? You're planting roses after 10:00 at night in December? Get back inside this instant!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
5:27 AM

Post #1908693

Yes, Jamie, all the information was there. I guess I missed that thread because my Darlow's Enigma doesn't have holes in its leaves.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2005
7:35 AM

Post #1908717

OK Mom...I came back in 2 hrs ago...I just had to get those last poor little roses in the ground. I heard your post in my Mom's voice..."Jamie Lynn, you get in this house right this second!!" Oh man, what memories LOL!

I had the holes dug from earlier this afternoon, came in to help my daughter with a book report, and forgot to plant the other 2 roses...

I think you will like the Bayer product...It really helped mine last year!!

Jamie
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
8:35 AM

Post #1908744

That's exactly the way I meant it to sound, Jamie Lynn. It's cold out there! Have some sense!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2005
11:35 AM

Post #1908799

My middle name is Lynn, as well...are you sure we are not related?
Melva Lynn AKA Melva Lyn
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
11:57 AM

Post #1908818

Well, my middle name is Konstantinovna, so I'm clearly not related to either one of you.
ElizabethF
Taylors, SC

December 5, 2005
12:42 PM

Post #1908895

Alright... Zuzu, Konstantinova?!? Where in the world are you from originally?!
I know down here (re:in the south) we often (especially older families) give our children our maiden names as their first or middle name. Why did your parents settle Konstantinova? Hope you don't mind my asking...
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2005
12:48 PM

Post #1908905

I don't mind at all, Elizabeth.

I'm Russian, and a Russian person's middle name is derived from his or her father's name. My father's name was Konstantin (Constantine), so my middle name (and the middle name of all my sisters) is Konstantinovna. If I had a brother, his middle name would be Konstantinovich.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2005
1:06 AM

Post #1909893

i see all of your questions were answered, zuzu k. i bought a sunset rose book today. i really like the sunset series. i now have roses for dummies, ortho's complete guide to roses, ortho's all about roses, foolproof guide to growing roses, roses for the south (i had it and didn't know it) and the sunset one. all of these and i haven't read them and i don't have roses yet. am i wierd? deborah todd (after my g aunt mary todd lincoln) lol
ElizabethF
Taylors, SC

December 6, 2005
2:40 PM

Post #1910620

Wow, how fascinating to think of all of our different lineages! That is really neat, Zuzu, to know that the children's middle names are all derived from the father. I love information like that.
Trackinsand, you will have no $ left to buy roses if you keep buying books at that pace !

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2005
4:05 PM

Post #1910730

ain't it the sad truth. i continue to show how anal and repressed i really am. i love to read as much as i love to garden. hey, that's a good thing.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2005
10:39 PM

Post #1911266

Melva,
I just got in search of lost roses.My beloved fat beagle died last night :-(,
so I bought myself something to look forward too.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2005
11:08 PM

Post #1911305

(((jodyc))), i am so sorry to hear of your loss, my heart is with you tonight. i had a beloved skinny beagle pass away two years ago, kopperdabeagle. your pain is felt by all here on dg, i have no doubt. please take care. debi
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2005
11:19 PM

Post #1911317

Jody,
I am so sorry about your dog..I know how much your doggies mean to you...you are in my thoughts...
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2005
6:32 AM

Post #1911897

Jody ~~

I am truly sorry to hear of the passing of your dear friend. I write this with a lump in my throat, and my eyes welling up... I know my Nakota is getting up there, and can only imagine how you are feeling. You are in my thoughts, and please take comfort in the fact that you gave that sweet, fat beagle a great life - he was one of the lucky ones to have had you for a Mommy!!

Take care...
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2005
6:39 AM

Post #1911899

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jody. I hope you can concentrate on the good memories of your time with him and not feel too sad.
hortensia
Langley, BC, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2005
8:11 AM

Post #1911934

My thoughts to you too, Jody. All of us who know our pets lives are shorter than our own know the sadness of that ticking clock.
M
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2005
11:06 AM

Post #1911997

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, You take care & remember the fun playful friend he was.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2005
5:01 PM

Post #1912478

Thank you all for the kind words.I have 2 other inside dogs,they seem to be in mourning too.They just don't last long enough and I get sooo attached.I'll remember the good times,how could I forget
:-) I just wish she could have died at home and not scared and alone at the vets.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2005
7:05 PM

Post #1914412

I promise not to talk about my dog anymore.:-)
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2005
9:52 PM

Post #1914688

Don't be ridiculous, Jody. You can talk about your dog, or anything else, as much as you want. We're not in an office. How are you feeling today?
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2005
10:10 PM

Post #1914704

Better Thanks,
I just don't want to drive everyone crazy and chase them off this thread...No one had posted since I did last...so I thought...well you know.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1914769

Oh, poor Jody. You didn't chase anyone off. People just ran out of favorite books to talk about, I think. A lot were ordering new ones, though, so I'm sure we'll hear some new reviews any day now. I'll have to go through my shelves and see what I have that no one else has mentioned yet. I'm trying to put together a list of roses that will grow in containers, but so far I haven't found a really good list, just a lot of good articles. Any ideas, research whiz?
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2005
11:44 PM

Post #1914836

Zuzu,
I'm looking forward to the container rose list.I just have no where to store them over the winter.In a barn but it still would be what ever temperature it was outside.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2005
11:53 PM

Post #1914855

oh jody, you know that the only thing this bunch of old broads (meaning me) likes to talk about as much as roses and gardening is our pets. LOL. you can absolutely unload anytime about anything and esp. when it comes to losing an old friend. you are right about your other two being in mourning. i have always noticed a change in mine when one is gone. continued hugs coming at cha! debi
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1914937

Thanks Debi...
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2006
11:35 PM

Post #1961020

I got my book today...In search pf lost roses.So far I love it and can't put it down.:-) Thanks Melva for the good review.lol.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #1961107

after you read it, make sure to post here re: what you liked about it! debi
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

January 8, 2006
6:00 AM

Post #1961664

wow, i'm surprised i haven't spent on a rose book. i've learned so much from the people in this forum. other infos, i got online.

but will go to the library and borrow some.

thanks for the liss.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2006
7:12 PM

Post #1962373

JodyC ~~ Mine is getting here soon, I am glad to get the advanced review!! Can't wait to read it! I got a couple really neat rose books on eBay in Dec. One is called 'Growing Roses Organically' by Barbara Wilde ( Rodale Books - 2002 ). I got this book to see what it might have to offer in terms of battling blackspot/mildew without chemicals. I was also curious to see what else it had to offer to aid in growing roses well without chemicals. I was pleasantly surprised at the many things this book had to offer. Besides solid information on good, organic rose culture, it has an extensive list of roses that respond particularly well to being grown organically. This was a pleasant surprise, and I have ordered many of the roses on this list. Overall, a very good book for anyone wanting to grow roses without chemicals, but also wants gorgeous, disease-free roses - GREAT book!!

'Visions of Roses' by Peter Beales with Vivian Russell (Bulfinch Press Book - 1998) is an awe inspiring book that has changed the way I want to grow roses in my garden. It covers 30 of the most amazing rose gardens in the world, and not only has gorgeous pictures, but great descriptions of the roses and the supporting plants which I loved!! It has always my plan to grow other plants with my roses that support and bring out their beauty...and this book offers literally hundreds of ideas within the descriptions. I couldn't put it down, and it isn't a short book.

The third book I got recently was 'Rosa Rugosa' by Suzanne Verrier (Firefly books - 1999) is a fairly short book, that covers a ton of info!! I had no idea how many Rugosa roses there were, and I want several of these beauties in my garden!! The toughness, beauty, and variety in this group of roses is amazing!! I now see why so many of you grow Rugosa's!!

More books are coming in soon, Christmas presents from my Mom - I can't wait to read them, and then share them with you all!

Jamie
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #1962768

Jamie,
Isn't the firefly book one of a set of different roses books?If it is I've been looking at them,do they have a gallica one too?
I'd love to have a Peter Beals book to and I want all of Graham Thomas too.I don't want much do I? lol.
I'm heading to town tomorrow to get a library card...I can't afford to buy to many books...that way I can buy my favorites from what I bring home to read.I'm sure I'll want several to go back to refer to in the future.:-)
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #1963038

That is such a good idea, and I wish I had done more of that. I wouldn't have bought a couple of mine, if I had checked them out first...Then I could have bought more roses instead...LOL :o)

I don't know about the Firefly book...if it is a series, I would want them all as it is a great book!

Jamie
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #1965435

I got the most amazing book in the mail from Amazon today. It's one that Hortensia mentioned above: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Roses; general editor -- Mary Moody; consulting editor -- Peter Harkness. It describes over 1100 different roses, and has more than 1000 great color photographs.

Okay, here's the really amazing part of this: It cost $1 (one dollar!). I bought it from the used and new section, but it's a new book. A new $39.95 book for $1. How much do I love Amazon.com?
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #1966278

Oh wow Zuzu you did good. :-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #1966289

me too! i ordered it this morning! thanks for the tip zuzu.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #1967111

I just went and got a 3 month library card and checked out everything they had on roses,coming from a tiny town of 6000 that was only 5 books.lol.But I did ask for about 15 more from nearby libraries.
I checked out:
Roses love garlic
J & P beautiful roses made easy (midwest edition)
Modern Garden roses-Peter Harkness
Better homes and gardens-roses
Best Rose Guide-Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix-this looks like I'm going to have to buy it and I haven't even started reading it yet.
I also grabbed The Expert Garden Hints it looked good.:-)

I'm reading In Search of Lost Roses-Thomas Christopher it's more a story about rose rustling...but I've learned alot too.I'm glad I bought it,I won't resell it.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2006
1:49 AM

Post #1968112

I just read J&P Beautiful cover to cover,basic rose care for my zone.It's an informative book...but I'm not going to buy it.Since Roses for Dummy's cover most of it.It does go into more detail.But I already have a basic book.:-)
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2006
2:42 AM

Post #1968271

JodyC~~ There are a lot of those type of books, they tend to cover the same info...I bought several before I realized they were all so much the same...good idea to check them out first!

Let us know what you think of the others...

Happy Reading!
Jamie
southernOhio
Proctorville, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #1969591

That looks like the same list from our library... The names are great. I am sure it would be a tough job, finding a variety if you are choosing the library books!
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2006
5:50 PM

Post #1987004

The library called me...They had about 15 books there for me...Looks like I have some serious reading to do.lol.
Zuzu and Jamie,
I got The Rose Bible from the library for $1,I'm so excited.:-) It was a donated book...Zuzu I also got The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Roses from the library,I haven't had time to read it yet...it does look like it will be a good book though.So many rose books to read...I'm starting to keep notes from each book in a word file.I'm going to keep the info on Dave's too in my diary...in case my comp crashes or something bad...God forbid.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2006
2:15 PM

Post #2021799

well, with all of the beginner books i bought for roses, i have to say that my favorite is one that wasn't even on anyone's list, it's Foolproof Guide to Growing Roses by Field Roebuck, the Creative Homeowner series. if i could do it all over again, i probably would still buy one or two of the others, but in the future, if anyone asks me for a good beginner's book, this is the one i will recommend.

it has all of the usual stuff, plus good advice and recipes on pests and diseases and a very interesting garden soil chapter.

i bought it on amazon for a couple dollars.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #2022824

That's a great recommendation, Debi.

I'll buy it on my next Amazon journey.
jamie68
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2006
8:38 PM

Post #2033339

Ok guys...this is gonna be a long entry, but I have read a LOT of books this rainy, wet, rainy, long, rainy winter, and now you all have to listen to me rave about some of them...LOL :-)

1st ~ Several amazing books about using roses in the landscape...

Landscaping with Antique Roses, by Liz Druitt and G. Michael Shoup (The Taunton Press) -- This book was a joy to red, and illustrated beautifully!! Chapters included "Integrating roses into the landscape' and "Designing the garden". Many, many gorgeous pictures with OGR used in all. I look thru this one often as I plan my new landscape.

Passion for Roses - comprehensive guide to landscaping with roses, by Peter Beales (Rizzoli International Publishing) -- Oh my word, this book is awesome!! In the true sense of the word. Peter Beales knows his stuff!! He goes into each rose group (Moss, Climbing, Procumbent, etc...) and gives great ideas of how to best use them all. Including ideas for what to grow with them, and amazing photos...really a wonderful book I will use regularly I am certain!!

Visions of Roses, by Peter Beales is a book that covers 30 gardens where roses are used beautifully and photographed wonderfully! Great ideas for what to grow with your roses in this one!! And all 30 gardens are gorgeous, of course!!

The Art of Gardening with Roses, by Graham Stuart Thomas (Henry and Holt Co.) -- What a gardener, and what a writer this man has proven himself to be!! This is one of the least expensive books I bought on Amazon, and one of the most cherished. He gives wonderful suggestions for perennials to grow with specific roses, wonderful ideas for ways to grow certain roses (pegging, pillar, covering walls and sheds, etc...). I love this author!!

Designing with Roses, by Tony Lord (Trafalgar Square Publishing) -- If I had to choose only one book to help me integrate roses throughout my new landscaping, it would be this one!! With chapters like : Roses for the Mixed Bordr, Roses for structures, Roses as Punctuation, and Roses for Wild Garden spaces...and more, it is a wealth of information. The photography is awe-inspiring, and since Tony grows roses in America, his words ring true for many of us who garden here...simply one of the best rose books I have!!

Jackson and Perkins has a book out called 'Rose Companions - Growing annuals, perennials, bulbs, vine and shrubs with roses' that is a wonderful little book, very affordable, and packed with clever combos and skilled photography. I refer to it often!

Landscape with Roses:Gardens, Arbors, Walkways, and Containers, by Jeff Cox (Taunton Press) -- This is another book I am pouring over to plan my new garden!! It really covers so many specific ways to grow and use roses, gives good examples of roses for each spot and use, and is beautifully laid out, and illustrated. This book has many, many sections - each one dealing with a very specific topic (growing over arches, covering bare ankles, reflecting roses at waters edge) that it is really nice for referring back for a specific spot in the garden!! Another GREAT book!!!

Ok, ok...I am going to take a breather here...let me know if you have any questions on these books...all are really special - and will help anyone learn more ways to grow our favorite flower in our gardens - well they all helped me anyway... :-)

Jamie
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2033620

Thanks Jamie for the update...I ordered to many books last time and didn't get to read them all.I had to take them back before I was charged a late fee.lol.I'll re-order some of them in a few weeks...they are going to get sick of shipping me all those books over and over..but we just don't have a big selection,we only have one small shelf of gardening books at my library...I need to order some on propagation too.
I have got to read some of Graham Stuart Thomas's books...everyone says he describes/writes so well...I will also order more of Peter Beales books.There was not one single G.Thomas book available at any of the local libraries ours is connected with :-(
I'll order a few of the landscaping books from my library...Jeff Cox drives me nutts;when I watch his shows...I'm not sure what it is about him that I don't seem to like...maybe it's just his shows...I'll go ahead and pick up his landscaping book,they do have that one in my library...I never thought about ordering the landscaping books...I was wanting just rose books,trying to learn all I could,seems most of the info in them,I had already read.
Have you read The Rose Bible yet? It's okay but Like I said before Best Rose Guide-Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix has been about my favorite book so far,mostly on OGR's though.Also The Rose Bible has a chapter on propagation,and yet it had nothing...all Reddell says in that chapter is he isn't any good at it.lol.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2036456

wow jamie, i'll say you've been reading! all i have is beginner books. the landscaping books sound great. i will have to check them out on amazon.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
1:29 AM

Post #2433271

zuzu was kind enough to refer this thread today to someone who posted regarding favorite rose books.

i have to add this one to the list. Botanica's Roses, The Encyclopedia of Roses with a forward by David Austin. the authors are Peter Beales, Dr. Tommy Cairns, Walter Duncan, Gwen Fagan, William Grant, Ken Grapes, Peter Harkness, Kevin Hughes, John Mattock and David Ruston. this is the revised 1999 edition. it is absolutely astounding and exceedingly heavy! LOL it is 700 pages of pure bliss.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2433953

I'll take your word on it..and have to go back to the library to order it from another library to check it out...Thanks always looking for Good/Great rose books to add to my collection...
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
4:56 AM

Post #2434041

Oh, I love this thread. We used to have so much fun in this forum.

Debi, the book sounds great. I'm ordering it from Amazon tonight. I was worried at first because I thought they only had the 3-pound paperback (which is 1,000 pages), but then I found the hardcover version.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:38 AM

Post #2434328

zuzu, i don't remember why, but the hardcover is the best one.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:45 AM

Post #2434344

The reviews of the paperback said the pictures were too small.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
11:31 AM

Post #2434424

that rings a bell. any rose before a certain date (and i'm not sure if that's 1999 or not) is in it. i've looked up really obscure roses and always found them. they give a surprising amount of info for them too.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
11:48 AM

Post #2434459

Sounds ideal. I can't wait. I'm getting the Rose Bible too.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
11:51 AM

Post #2434465

racing to amazon...>
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2006
1:12 PM

Post #2434689

700 pages? Yummy.
Right behind you Debi - I'm going to hightail it over to Amazon too
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5758834

I wonder if there are any more really good books out now?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #5759381

I have Passion for Roses by P. Beales. Nice story with it. I was staying at a b&b in the english countryside and admiring the gardens. The owner, noticing my interest, told me her first husband, now deceased, knew P Beales and created the B&B gardens per Beales suggestions. Then she takes me to the library and gives me her hubby's Passion for Roses book. I was sooo touched. I have read it and re-read it and I think that is why I'm been recently leaning towards getting duplicates of my favorite roses to create sweeps, vs. getting one of each. Has been very hard because I want one of each!

davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5759391

Wow, that is so awesome, what a doll. Do you have any reference pts to show what you mean by sweeps & how they are situated in the garden? Or should I just buy the book? lol
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5759441

u don't have to buy the book, ck library first and decide if you relate to his concepts. As to sweeps, well, all I can say is I am trying to plant at least two or 3 of the same together. Not necessarily crammed together, but side by side. May do a triangle, a row or a circle, depending on the rose. Hope that makes sense.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 9, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9380465

I just happened upon this old thread and found it highly entertaining. I got two rose books for Christmas; my husband bought them from the table of "removed" books at the local library. One is Hardy Roses by Robert Osborne which is interesting even though it is aimed at northern growers. The other is a real treasure: Roses by Gertrude Jekyll And Edward Mawley. It covers old garden roses and garden design. It had that never-been-opened feeling, what a pity!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9380629

I'm glad you resurrected this thread, Porkpal. I love reading the old ones. We were such a talkative group then.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9381047

Had fun reading this old thread. Thanks from me, reading this long threads are a guilty pleasure for me here at work.

I have Hardy Roses and agree, it is a good book. Gold star for hubby for finding the Gertrude Jekyll/Edward Mawley book!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9383227

I'm taking the books recommended here to the library with a list tomorrow.

I got "In Search of Lost Roses" used from Amazon, and some thoughtful would had tucked in an old article clipping about a lost-now-found violet from England. Plant nerd minds think alike!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America