-
AuthorContent
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 18, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1882906

I thought I'd start a thread for folks who are either able to grow veggies during the winter months or those that would like a little fix while they wait to start their seeds for spring planting. I'm growing 4 types of radishes, 4 types of lettuce, 3 types of beans and some carrots. (I'll leave the tomatos, peppers and herbs for their respective forums.) My first harvest was today - some radishes: Philadelphia White Box, Purple Plum and Pink Beauty. Pic attached. The carrots have just sprouted, the lettuce was just transplanted from their seedling pots in to the garden and two of the three bean varieties are a month into growing.

Is anyone else doing veggie gardening now? If so, please join in.

Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2005
10:23 PM

Post #1883004

Flip pictures of Philadelphia white box http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/117536/index.html , Pink Beauty http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/99997/index.html, and Purple Plum http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/99997/index.html are needed in the Plantfiles.
Last nights freeze took out the last of tomatoes ,peppers and butterbeans. Have to be content with Broccoli, Cauliflower, Collards, Kale, Kohlrabi, mustard and turnips until spring.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2005
11:32 PM

Post #1883107

I recently moved from a 9/10 zone to a SIX - and we already have had a hard freeze here! Planting trees kept me amused last month, but now that we're settled into our new home a bit, the urge to plant, plant, plant is upon me again... I would go with houseplants, but they don't seem to like me much. I think the stuff outside always does better because Mother Nature and The Man Upstairs tend to compensate for my brown thumb :-) I've been shoving pictures of greenhouses under DH's nose. I think he's getting the hint!
faronell
Henderson, NV
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2005
11:40 PM

Post #1883118

I live in Henderson NV and have a nice row of swiss chard about 6 to 8 inches high. Have not gardened in the winter here before so hoping to harvest them soon. I also have 2 young key lime trees that I put into the ground about 6 weeks ago, they had lived prior in pots that I brought inside last winter...anyone know if the cold will hurt them or if they will take a light freeze. We don't usually get hard freezes here.
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 19, 2005
1:01 AM

Post #1883305

FD, I'll get those pics in soon.

Kmom, nice to hear from you. Work on that greenhouse angle. You need to keep growin' stuff if you can.

faronell, if you have true key lime trees, I can promise you they'll not do real well in cold weather. I've had them down here in Miami and they did well but they don't do very well the further north you get. Even central Fla is too cold for them during the winter. Let us know how they do and good luck.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2005
4:18 AM

Post #1883606

key lime pie...ooooh, a slice of heaven... ANOTHER reason to have a greenhouse - and HEAT it, too...
cottonpicker
Audubon, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2005
11:08 AM

Post #1883753

Interesting thread & I'm glad Flip started it!! At 23 degrees here this morning, my garden is dead except for some mustard greens begging to be picked. All you lucky southern gardeners-- enjoy!! the fruits of your labor while I dream & plan for springtime.
LD
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2005
11:41 AM

Post #1883769

kmom - would you like some houseplant cuttings? I will be cutting back a few varieties of Begonias and 5 varieties of Wandering Jew and would be happy to send you a box to get you started. Both are pretty hardy and fairly easy to root.

JLMK via d-mail and I'll put you on my list. I intend to do the pruning over the Thanksgiving holiday - keep me off the streets and out of trouble. LOL! I will mail either the Friday or Monday after Thnx.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 7:41 AM
meszaros9
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2005
1:57 PM

Post #1886937

This is my first year growing a raised bed vegetable garden.

I have Semi-hot peppers, Broccili, Cabbage, Tomatos, Collards, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Beans, Cucumbers, Peas, Watermelon, Radishs, Lettuce, Spinach.

So far so good. When i get home i will take some pics. I need to find some trellis's for my vining crops.

I have one pepper ready to be picked and the other plants are loaded with baby ones. Radish's are ready in a week...

I love it.
Michelle
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2005
3:56 AM

Post #1891783

Have a zillion fall tomatoes here, hoping we don't get a freeze. Got nipped by frost and the cukes are now history. Fall green beans are flowering am crossing my fingers on them. Early broccoli should be starting to head up anytime now. Second planting still small. Have lettuces: Buttercrunch, Romaine Verte Mar, Green Ice, Red Sails, and Great Lakes in various sizes (I sow some every week or two). I just planted 2 varieties of Spinich but they haven't germinated yet. Have been planting garlic as fast as I can clear out space for it. Plan to plant some carrots tomorrow or Friday (running rather late with those). Want to plant some really early peas (usually plant them on Martin Luther King Day--who knows why--I just got in the habit of it because I'm off from work that day and they have always done well planted then). That about does it here from Houston!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2005
1:19 PM

Post #1892063

Ok, Houston - now I'd REALLY jeolous! It's only Thanksgiving and I'm already Jonesing for the good stuff!
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2005
10:18 PM

Post #1892554

It's the middle of the day and there is ice on the back patio... I rescued a sweet potatoe and stuck it in a glass of water a few days back, and it now has two tiny white roots. My DD thinks I'm crazy, but just thankful I didn't "rescue" all the sweet potatoes so we can eat some today! Take care & Happy TDay!
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 28, 2005
1:56 PM

Post #1896979

Hi all - I've been out of town with the family for a several days over the holiday week (camping at Blue Spring State Park). Glad to see a few posts.

FD - Plantfiles have been updated with some pics and plants.

LD - nice to hear from you. Hope we give you some reminders of how it'll be next spring for you.

meszaros9 - sounds like you've got a bunch of veggies goin'. How big is your garden? Try and post some pics!

dmj1218 - sounds like you have a lot goin' on also. Your lettuce vars. are many of the ones I'm growing now. What type tomatos are you growing? Will you be able to grow thru the winter in Houston? Try to post some pics of your garden if you can.

Also, I should be posting some more pics pretty soon. Everybody have a good day!
Flip
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 28, 2005
10:30 PM

Post #1897775

Okay, I promised a few pics so here they are:

Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry Pole Beans (courtesy of Big Red). This is the second try - Wilma got the first.

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 28, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1897780

Here's the second picking of Philadelphia White Box, Purple Plum and Pink Beauty radishes.

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 28, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1897783

Here's a new variety of radish for me - White Hailstone harvested today.

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 28, 2005
10:37 PM

Post #1897789

Here's the new garden with bush beans and tomatos (five of which are Wilma survivors)

Thumbnail by aries44

cottonpicker
Audubon, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2005
10:43 PM

Post #1897799

My-tee-fine photos!!!!!!!! The pole beans look great and the radishes have such dark green tops...don't waste 'em!!! They ARE nutritious!! My Chinese wife stir fries radish greens with garlic & olive oil..dash o' salt... for a tasty veggie side dish! THANKX for the pics!!
LD
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 29, 2005
5:51 PM

Post #1899075

Great pics Flip ! When I look at your garden I am tempted to copy yours. Can't wait till you are in full production. Never knew a radish could look so good. I'm not a radish lover but your pictures could change all that...
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 29, 2005
11:17 PM

Post #1899534

Thanks LD and TP. I like taking pics of the gardens and veggies and tomatos.

It's been pretty busy in the gardens - I had to stake some of the tomatos today (and have more to do tomorrow) as some vines were draping over their wire cylinders and looking as if they would break. Also, I had to extend the staking so the pole beans can keep climbing. All of the radishes have been harvested so I have to set out another few varities of them.

TP, I know you have some "in-ground" gardening space at your place. You should reserve or create a few spots for some lettuce and radishes. They're easy to grow and taste really good fresh from the garden to the salad bowl (along with the tomatos and peppers). Let me know if you want some seeds.
Flip
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2005
8:49 PM

Post #1901423

Seeds heck ! I'm waiting till your crop is ready and then pull a midnight raid...
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2005
8:54 PM

Post #1901429

LOL! I'd be with ya, T, if ya'll weren't so far away!
meszaros9
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 1, 2005
12:35 AM

Post #1901748

Hello everyone.

I will have to wait to post pics till the weekend. I have a 4x10 raised garden bed. By the time I get home it is dark. My neighbors think I am crazy. Who is that weirdo out there with a flash light. :) :) I have to check on my babies. One question, how do you know when your radishs are done. I pulled the soil back on a few and they are so tiny. Size of a nickel. Just wondering. I will give them more time. My romaine lettuce is getting so tall i would say a good two feet. hope that is normal too..

Tplant I saw some of your pic's I like those EB's and you have a lot of space. Good for you.

Aries44- Your pics are great very neat and looks well planned out, I really like how you have it. Those radishs look yummy

What is everyone's favorite vegetable to grow tomato, pepper, beans, etc...
I love pepper's .. Of course were I live I have had good luck with them.
This is my first attempt at the raised bed. And I like it so far.
Michelle
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 1, 2005
10:59 AM

Post #1902354

Michelle - when I plant my radishes I dig about a 4" deep furrow and back fill it with a few inches of Miracle Gro garden soil. Then, I lay in the radish seeds and cover them with about an inch of the MG. After they sprout, I thin them out to give them room to grow and basically wait and watch. You can usually see the tops of the radishes and watch them develop.

My favorite veggies to grow, in order, are: tomatos, beans, peppers, lettuce, radishes, cukes and broccoli. In the summer I grow only melons.
Flip
meszaros9
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2005
12:30 PM

Post #1904278

I made my first salad last night. Had some Romaine, onions, a little tiny tinie radish :) peppers, basil and tomato (that was store bought) none yet on my plants. It was yummy. It was neat to go through the garden and pick what i wanted. I picked some beans but my daughter eat them before we even got back in the door. I asked her how they were because I didnt even get one.. :)

I have one question. It is supposed to get down to 40 - 48 degrees this weekend. Do I cover everything?
Michelle
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2005
6:40 PM

Post #1904812

Cover only if the temps will go below 35 degrees. Water well this afternoon. This is to prevent dehydration.
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2005
5:00 PM

Post #1909233

Does this quality as Winter gardening? This is one of a dozen broccoli plants I put in last May. I have been picking from them since late July. I think this little head will be the last for the year. I only plant broccoli in Spring and pick side shoots until a hard freeze. This pic was taken an hour ago.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1909252

Very cool! Looks like you got more than we did this weekend. But it also sounds like you may miss out on the big storm we're expecting tonight. Oh, boy!

BTW, I had no idea brocolli grew like that! I've had no luck growing brocolli, cabbage or cauliflower. Any timps?
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1909260

Now that's a great way to grow and harvest broccoli. Just a dozen plants, you say? Wow.

Wonderful thread & pics: I'm living vicariously through you all. My garden now has a thin blanket of snow which the chickens are happily stirring into the leaves and straw we spread on it. This is how I'm "prepping" the soil... easier on the back. :)
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1909268

Sequee, One spade full of compost per plant, 2 ft. apart, full sun. Lots of water. Encourage paper wasps to your garden as cabbage worm removers (they are cool to watch).
Plant a variety that makes side shoots. This is Green Goliath.
Don't plant them in the same place for 3 - 4 years. Have fun.
Works for me.
Andy P
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2005
5:27 PM

Post #1909284

Do you start the seeds indoors then plant out in early Spring?
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2005
5:33 PM

Post #1909293

Yes, 5 - 6 weeks before last frost. In flats, then into a little cold frame a week or so before dividing and planting. I put bottomless Dixie cups around them for cutworms.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2005
7:36 PM

Post #1909446

Thanks - I'll give it another go in a few months!
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 5, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1909520

Big Red,

If you're out there lookin' - here's a pic of the Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry pole beans. I planted these a few days after Wilma. They are doing great! I started with 5' poles and increased another 3'-4' using string. These things are going wild. They're absolutely loaded with flowers, beans and new growth. Next time I'll start with a better pole system.

Questions - what's the best way to eat these - like regular pole beans or just the beans inside? Also, for saving seeds, I guess you just leave them on the vine until they are ready to fall off? Thanks,

Flip

Thumbnail by aries44

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1910843

Flip --- Everything looks terrific. Congratulations. It's fun to watch everything grow! Tell me how you like pole beans ? Never tried them.
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 6, 2005
6:10 PM

Post #1910892

TP, I just like to take them off the vine, wash 'em and throw 'em in a pot of salted boiling water until just tender. Add a little butter, salt and pepper and...yum
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 9, 2005
7:18 PM

Post #1916065

Here's pic of the first time harvest of the Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry pole beans.

Thumbnail by aries44

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2005
7:22 PM

Post #1917820

Fresh buttered beans tonite! My mother used to saute stringbeans with butter and onions. No matter what I do with that simple recipe it never tastes as good? It looks like one bean is a mouthful...
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 15, 2005
1:54 PM

Post #1924771

Here's bean crop #2 - Burpee Brittle Yellow Wax - first picking

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 15, 2005
2:38 PM

Post #1924831

Here's some lettuce - Ruby Red, Red Sails and Oak Leaf - ate some last nite!

Thumbnail by aries44

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2005
3:12 PM

Post #1924855

Flip, Plantfiles need pictures!
Brittle Yellow Wax bean- http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40023/index.html
White Hailstone radish - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/118979/index.html
Purple Plum radish - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/117885/index.html
Oak leaf lettuce - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31588/index.html
Red Sails lettuce - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31601/index.html
Ruby Red lettuce - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/105620/index.html Pretty well down to winter greens here. Fall broccoli is still hanging in but in slow motion. A current pic of Green Comet.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 15, 2005
8:51 PM

Post #1925362

Pics for all exc Purple Plum (I ate them all) now in Plantfiles.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2005
5:21 PM

Post #1932512

Turnips today, saving the collards til New Year.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2005
5:37 PM

Post #1932536

Oh, yum!
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 20, 2005
5:49 PM

Post #1932554

Lookin' good FD - are those in Plantfiles??
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2005
5:55 PM

Post #1932557

Hahahahahaha!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2005
7:37 PM

Post #1932694

Nope, I only put my good pics in Plantfiles. This ones raw, have to massage it abit in photo shop yet.
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2005
11:14 PM

Post #1932925

Farmerdill, Thanks for reminding me. I have a nice pic of my Green Goliath broccoli to add to PlantFiles.
Andy P
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2005
11:24 PM

Post #1932937

Great, Green Goliath is the best performing OP broccoli that I have tried. Hope yours did well.

And Flip, I was taking you snipe hunting. Every cultivar that I have grown in 2004 and 2005 is in plantfiles.
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2005
11:35 PM

Post #1932958

Farmerdill, It's still going.
Actually this was taken a couple of weeks ago, it is a side shoot from my Spring planting.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2005
11:58 PM

Post #1932983

The bunny is eating my frozen ones. I had Green Goliath, Triathlon, and Arcadia
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2005
12:01 AM

Post #1932988

I like them after they have been 'kissed' by frost, but not frozen and thawed and fr...
Andy P
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 21, 2005
12:52 AM

Post #1933047

FD, I'm a snipe hunter extraordinaire. I've bagged many a snipe in my day, having been out hunting them boogers more than a few times! And guess what?? I KNEW you put all of your stuff in Plantfiles because you're the Plantfile guru! How could you ask us to do that and not do it yourself? I'll tell you this - I have 33 vars of maters and I will post at least one pic of each of them in Plantfiles. Also, over this winter and next spring, I'll be doin' more types of maters, peppers, radishes, lettuce and beans and they'll all end up in that sacred spot. We need to get the veggie pics on a par with those flower people!!
Flip
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2005
1:06 AM

Post #1933063

Flip, I'm with you. There are too few veggie and fruit pics in Plantfiles.
I didn't get started here at DG until it was too late for veggies, I'll be ready next season.
Andy P
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 21, 2005
1:24 AM

Post #1933093

I'll help also. Anyway, I love to use my fairly new digital camera. Flip should have a bumper crop after Christmas. I just heard the weather forcast and it calls for a cool front for the holidays. Tomatos seem to jump start after cool weather. I'm about two weeks or so behind Flip so I can back him up.
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 21, 2005
12:10 PM

Post #1933635

Way to be Andy and TP. We need to keep those pics coming! I'm sure there are more folks out there that will help out, too.
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 24, 2005
4:35 PM

Post #1937980

Okay - the last veggie pic before I go on vacation. All picked today from the winter garden: Uncle Walt's pole beans, yellow wax beans, Jaune Negib maters, Red Sails, Ruby Red and Oak Leaf lettuce, basil and cilantro - to accompany tonite's dinner of rib roast and mashed taters. Hope everyone has a great holiday. See you in a week or so...
Flip

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 2, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #1950617

Well, I'm back from vacation. Picked 7 lbs of beans from brittle wax and 1 pound from Gator Green 15. Here's a shot of the Gators...
Two images to Plantfiles

This message was edited Jan 2, 2006 11:39 AM

Thumbnail by aries44

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2006
3:30 PM

Post #1950620

looking good Flip. want to trade for some collards and kale?
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 2, 2006
3:41 PM

Post #1950636

Sure FD. I've never tried kale before before.

Here's the shot of the 7lbs + the gators

Thumbnail by aries44

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2006
5:18 PM

Post #1950833

When all your crops start coming in you will have to open a supermarket. Hope you have a huge freezer?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2006
2:16 PM

Post #1959986

Rabbits love kohlrabi, Just gave the Grand Duke, the taste test. Strange they have not bothered the other brassicas.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #1960010

The broccoli has hung on this year. This will be the last central head of Green Comet. But the plants are taking temps in the low 20's in stride, so sideshoots should continue.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 7, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #1960013

FD - that looks really nice but how does one eat that odd lookin' veg?? The kohlrabi, I mean

Also, my Green Calabrese broccoli is about a foot tall. Can't wait as I never tried this one.
Flip

This message was edited Jan 7, 2006 10:27 AM

This message was edited Jan 7, 2006 10:29 AM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #1960025

Kohlrabi? It's an educated turnip. Can be used anyway a turnip can be used. It is more firm than a turnip and little more cabbage flavor, so its very good in soups.and hold s up well au gratin.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #1960319

I think I will try some next year. I've been slowly branching from the original herbs, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. The year before last I added radishes, carrots, squash, turnips, brussel sprouts,okra, and a few flowers. The okra and radishes didn't do anything for me, but the rest were pretty good. Last year I added beans, peas...which did well, and my radishes, carrots, and okra knowcked my socks off. I also tried my hands at cauliflower, cabbage, beets, and onions - these were a dismal failure. Hopefully, they will do better this year.
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 27, 2006
8:33 PM

Post #2004459

Haven't been here in a while. Have a couple of pics. These are the first carrots I've ever grown - Royal Chantenay. They smell super sweet.

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 27, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2004467

And here's a couple of White Icicle radishes.
Also have broccoli and onions getting a little closer and we'll be planting some beans this week.

Flip

Thumbnail by aries44

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2004579

Holy Moly! Your carrots don't even look like they are related!!!

Good job!
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 28, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2004884

Sure they do...kinda. I only washed one of them. The carrot on the right is the red-headed step sister.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2005007

You guys heard of "Farmerdill?" Meet "FarmerFlip." Can't believe this is the same guy from last season! LOL
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2005026

Hey, I flip dill into my scrambled eggs; when I make them that way!

I need some garden fresh veggies soon; I'm going stir crazzy.

~* Robin
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 16, 2006
10:07 PM

Post #2049543

I've been awol from here for a while - just a pic or three for grins. Here's a nice head of Green Calabrese broccoli.

Edited to ask F Dill - I saw your description in PF. Not being an experienced broccoli grower - Does it help the side shoot's development if the main head is cut out a little early? How long do these thingd grow? Seems like they've been planted for a long time.
Flip

This message was edited Feb 16, 2006 6:19 PM

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 16, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2049550

Here's a recently started Dusky eggplant

Thumbnail by aries44

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 16, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2049559

And some Evergreen Bunching onions.

Thumbnail by aries44

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2049879

Other than the lettuce (which you've seen pics of already) and broccoli (luckily the spring batch has not been eatten by urban night raiders); I've got lots of different heirloom creole garlic varieties going in both the ground and in pots in my herb garden. I'm sure glad I was able to get a hold of 3 lbs of various varieties from some La and TX friends prior to last years hurricane season. Hope to share with Zeppy and others here to keep these magnificient varieties going--they are excellent (actually the best in my opinion) varieties to grow in the south.

Our last avg freeze date is Feb 28th here so everything warm weather (tomatoes, green beans, squash, etc) will be going in about the weekend of the 25th. I usually wait till mid-March for peppers since they like it a bit warmer. Too late for anymore lettuce, etc. for it will be hot by April around here.

This pic is from mid-Jan; everything is much bigger and growing by leaps and bounds with the longer daylengths now...

Thumbnail by dmj1218

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2051300

deb, how long do you need to grow the garlic? Any particular time of the year to start? I've never done it and would like to try it in pots. Thanks,
Flip
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2052025

Hey Flip,

Garlic, Allium sativum, Amaryllidaceae family

Language and mythology: Garlic has been around for thousands of years. While its origin is unknown, some people believe it originated in Siberia, then spread to the Mediterranean area, becoming naturalized in the process. Classical writers such as Homer, Chaucer, and Shakespeare mention garlic, and it was present in the diets of early Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians.

Description: Garlic has long, flat, solid leaves and a culinary bulb. Its grayish leaves are about 12 inches long and up to an inch wide. A round-stemmed flower stalk originates from the center of the plant and produces a ball-shaped, compact collection of white flowers that are sometimes tinged with lavender. Each bulb multiplies during the growing season, producing highly flavored segments called cloves. Each segment as well as the 4 to 15 cloves comprising a bulb is wrapped in a white papery sheath. Some varieties have a reddish sheath.

Plant type and hardiness: Perennial; hardiness zone 3.
Height and width: Height 24 to 36 inches; width to 6 inches.
Light and soil: Full sun; rich, moist, well-drained soil with a pH of 4.5 to 8.3.
Pests and disease: None noted.

Cultivation: Spring is the best time to grow garlic. Break bulblets apart and plant each clove, root-end downward, about 6 inches apart and 2 inches deep in cultivated soil. Cover each drill with soil and water well. Spear-like leaves soon will appear, followed by flower stalks. The plants tolerate poor soil but will thrive if manure or amendments are added yearly to poor soil. Divide and replant garlic every three to four years. It can be grown indoors.

Companion planting: Garlic and roses benefit each other in the garden. Garlic is a natural pest deterrent that repels aphids. It helps peaches, tomatoes, cabbages, and eggplant. If garlic is near peas or beans, however, it inhibits growth.

Propagation method: Division or seeds.
Bloom time and color: Spring and summer; white to lavender.

Harvesting: Harvest about 6 months after planting when the flowers are fading and the leaves begin to turn yellow and shrivel. Dig the bulbs, shake off dirt, and hang in a dry place with good air circulation. Moisture in the air may cause bulbs to mildew. After the bulbs have hardened, cut off any leaf remnants. Store in a dry, airy place in a basket or other open container.

Herbal uses: Culinary and medicinal.
Sauteed or fresh garlic tastes vibrant and onionlike. It is added to many dishes, including spaghetti sauce, pork roast, herb butter, fresh salads, beans, stuffings, dressings, stews, soups, and marinades. The cloves are either minced or added whole and removed before the dish is served. Garlic is said to have medicinal qualities.

Garden notes: Garlic is an easy, hardy plant for beginners to grow. Plant cloves in early spring, as soon as the ground can be worked. When flower stalks appear, cut them back so that the plantıs energy goes into producing useful bulbs. Cloves can be planted in late autumn so that they will not sprout in the fall.

Need more info?

~* Robin
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2052099

Robin, what a great breakdown of one my most favorite things to eat. Thanks a lot! I use garlic with everything (well, almost).
Sounds like you could just take a garlic bulb, break it apart and plant the individual sections. I think I'll try some in the garden and some in pots also.
I wonder how they'll do in the S. Fla heat?
Flip
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2052103

Get it in the ground by end of Nov down here in the south (I start after Halloween to Thanksgiving) Flip...preferably in the driest part of your garden. Start withholding water about on the summer solstice--the tops will then start dying down and you can harvest then. They never bloom in the south.

Spring is too late down here--these are southern varieties and need that cold--they come up immediately after planting.

They are super easy Flip--I'll send you some "heads" in July--when I send Zeppy some.

I've also got them in the ground---but they are rather a pain to keep weeded with the "winter" dandilions (how do you spell dandylions?lol). You know, those pesky weeds the rest of the country gets in the summer and here in the south they bloom their fool heads off in mid-Jan?

Debbie

PS--they will handle our winter heat just fine Flip...lol...they are a winter veggie for us!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2006 5:34 PM
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2006
10:44 PM

Post #2052143

Thanks, Deb

I'd really like to try some of that gourmet garlic you have! So, I guess I'll wait until the end of the year. PLMK when you're mailing out and I'll give you my address. It's also here at the Address Exchange. Also, keep us posted on how yours are come along this year! Thanks again,
Flip
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #2053387

Quoting:Edited to ask F Dill - I saw your description in PF. Not being an experienced broccoli grower - Does it help the side shoot's development if the main head is cut out a little early? How long do these thingd grow? Seems like they've been planted for a long time.
Flip

Green Spouting Calabrese is a mid to long season broccoli. As long as you keep the heads cut before they bloom out, they will keep sprouting. Here they last until the summer heat knocks them out. The sprouts will get smaller as the plant ages, but they will keep going longer than you probably want to fool with them. If you want larger heads on an open pollinated broccoli try Green Goliath. It also is not early maturing, but does produce a reasonable main head, plus muliple side shoots. I much prefer it to the older "sprouting " cultivars. Of course if you want production of uniform heads of broccoli, Hybrids are preferred. I prefer Super Dome, but Packman and other earlys are good.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8328863

Hi, all. Im here in Houston and I just harvested my last terminal head of my 9 broccoli plants. They are putting out side heads now. Freezes didn't hurt them this year or last year. I finally pulled them up in April 2010. This year they are gorgeous and have no pests that I have detected. Not single hole in any leaf. Im also growing snow peas. These did well for me last year so I planted again this fall. My radishes got humongous without any air inside. The snails ruined my Bok Choy...laid eggs all over it so it looked more like lace. My beets and lettuces are growing merrily along and I harvest as needed for salads. I started my carrots late so they are only about 6 inches tall. I grow the beets for their greens since I dont like beets very much. Last year I grew arugula for my neighbors because I dont like it. I have some bell peppers from my summer crop that are still hangin' on. I have to cover them anytime it gets too cold. They are not blooming now but the peppers on them are still increasing in size. I really like gardening in fall and winter here for lots of reasons...fewer bugs, pleasant temps for doing the work as well as not as much supplemental watering needed. Next time Im going to stagger my plantings more with the broccoli, radishes and carrots so they dont all get ripe at once. I want to try garlic too. If you are in 9a, can you tell me when we should start our potatoes? Cam

This message was edited Jan 25, 2011 12:22 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8329290

Cam,
Jump on over to the thread called "Zones 8-9 Spr/Sum 2011 Veggie Gardening is UNDERWAY- Pt l". There are a bunch of us Houstonians and others in Zone 9a comparing notes on our garden progression.

I have 4 varieties of seed potatoes that I'm sprouting now for plantout soon as the sprouts get a little larger. Perhaps in about the next two weekends, on the 12th. Some here have planted spuds out at early as January 15th.

Order your sweeties now (if you plant on doing any), and start rooting them for slips. Sweeties go out in April!

P.S. Here's what I'm up to. I have 6 varieties of heirloom tomatoes under lights that I've started potting up to 16 oz. cups. Next stop for them will be the plantout in the yard starting on February 19th. Let me know if you're interested in any seedlings.

Also, please post pictures. We in the garden LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pictures!

Good to make your acquaintance!

^:-)^^:-)^ (Linda and her new friend Cam!)

P.S. I love the fall/winter garden the best, too!

What side of town are you growing in? I'm near Hobby Airport.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8329312

Looks like you've been busy, Gymgirl! Love all your little seedlings in their individual cups :)

edited for spelling!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2011 11:30 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8329337

Thanks, HoneybeeNC!
I'm about 1/3 of the way with potting up!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8329515

So far, I have beets and parsley sown in 3 oz cups.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8331357

Sure hope you "guys" have a warmer season then Flip and I had. Brutal cold for Florida however, Flip is thirty miles south of me so his cold was not as bad. I don't think he had frost but I never asked him.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America