Raising Rabbits

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

We are retiring next year and DH says he is going to raise rabbits. Any body know any good sites for rabbits raising. We will be doing it for meat and fertilizer for Plants.
When I was growing up we had rabbits and had a long wire box that had about 6 different cages. We had lots of meat and it was good but I don't remimber what kind of rabbits they were other than grey colored.

Lavina

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I haven't tried rasing rabbits, but I have found all of the "Storey's Guides" to be very helpful. You may wish to check this out from the library or order your own copy. This is the link to the item as shown at amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580172601/103-3617406-3941465?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits: Breeds, Care, Facilities

Good luck & have fun with your retirement!

Many blessings to you :-)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I raised rabbits years back. I was hauling a couple hundred to market every couple of weeks. I can't remember how many does I had, but it was around 100. New Zealand is the best meat rabbit.
The market we took them to, was real fair in price. Feed for rabbits is expensive & they eat a lot. I had to buy it a ton at a time. Then for some unknown reason, my rabbits wouldn't get pregnant. Whoops, food is disappearing, no rabbits to sell. I sold all the rabbits, then I had money to spend again.
Check with Horseshoe, he lives in NC & has some rabbits, I think.
He should be able to give you some pointers.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here is the link to him.
http://davesgarden.com/members/Horseshoe/
Bernie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We use to have just a few does and I butchered and sold some to private customers. I just had California, New Zealands, etc. Some mixed breed that did well too. Then I just could not bring myself to kill them anymore so I stopped the breeding and kept them as pets until they all died.

I think the Storey books are quite good and give basic and sound advice.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

{{ LeafLady - so good to see you again. Hope you are feeling better. }}

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

LavinaMae, I have a copy of "Raising Rabbits Successfully" by Bennett. I'd be happy to send it to someone who can use it, because I have no interest in raising rabbits. Email me here if you'd like it, and I'll send it on.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

We raise rabbits for food and profit. Down here, in the heat, the Florida Whites rein. I love the larger size of the New Zealands tho. Keep in mind (we did) the Giant breeds. The Checkered Giant and the Flemish Giant. They don't eat more than the smaller breeds but do have smaller litters BUT have a substantial yield of meat.

The new thing here with $ being tight is feeding soy pellets. My rabbits loved it and it is a 1/5 the price. Nutritionally- I don't know and the meat flavor I don't know. We ran out and went back to regular food. Altho, the guy who feeds strictly soy pellets to his meat rabbits is dropping off 30 +/- rabbits for me to babysit while he works out of town for a few months. My hubby doesn't mind but my brother hates the idea. He thinks they aren't worth it and alot of work. I look at it as a food source, a hobby and a source of fertilizer. I even use it to feed the chickens. I call it "recycling". The chickens still get a good feed diet but why waste the rabbit dung? It's also fantastic for plants. Anyone in way-South FL is welcome to come and retrieve all they want!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images