Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pets: Does your dog have stinky fishy breath?

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 7, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2005
1:53 AM

Post #1895226

Boy Pebbles our Aussie has had the most NASTY fishy smelling breath. For years. It has been just awful! It is repulsive. Dog breath is normally not the best, but this has been -- like a fish market on a bad day.

I have asked the vet several times. We have checked her teeth. Checked her blood. We have fed her apples. We have brushed her teeth.

She has been eating Wellness for probably 5 years. Some that feed all raw would say that's not a good food, but I think it's better than most... at least it's a "human grade" all natural food with real meats. We don't feed her junky biscuits, and very very little table food. She does get a half a small apple and some celery cut up in her food for added crunch with low calories.

Well, finally, I searched and searched the internet, and came up with an obscure article about fishy breath being caused by omega oils coming from fish souces. It said to use a different source of Omegas and over time, the fish breath will go away. They were unable to figure out why it gives some dogs fishy breath and not others.

I searched my local pet store, and finally found that Natural Balance does not use Omega's from fish. There looked to be nothing in it from fish that I could find. We got a bag, and started feeding it about 3 weeks ago.

Already, Pebbles breath is nearly odorless.

HAPPY People! Happy PEBBLES! No more "get out of my face fish breath!!!!" Now when she comes up to us we can cuddle her without turning up our noses in disgust!

Natural Balance is what I fed my old cat that had kidney failure and he would not eat the prescription diets. He did wonderful on it.

Of course, it would be the most expensive food in the entire store. :-(

Just thought if there were others out there with this problem with their dogs that you might try a food without omegas from fish and see if it helped!

magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2005
12:34 AM

Post #1898009

try greenies too!!!! great treat and freshens breath!!!! LOL
janet930
Mayfield, KY
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2005
11:02 AM

Post #1898585

Greenies, yes! My bunch loves greenies

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2005
3:16 AM

Post #1900358

very interesting and makes sense. cat breath is the worst and we know there is fish in that!!! LOL
sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 30, 2005
10:56 AM

Post #1900632

Glad to hear you found a solution. Not much I can do with 5 cats
Dedda
Petersburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2005
12:09 PM

Post #1900688

Of course, it would be the most expensive food in the entire store. :-(

Well, once I started feeding the premium foods to my pets their health improved, less trip to the vets
for geriatric problems, no more more pills for allergies..Worth every penny
I use Innova EVO, no grains.My DH about fainted when he saw the price tag, but then I reminded him it was usually $150 per trip to the vet, with four dogs at least twice a year for each, he shut up.
As we have had to go in for just annual check ups for the last 2 years.
What I tried to say here before I got long winded, you pay for what you get, as most brands of petfood make only good lawn fertilizer.
http://www.net-pets.com/Flint_River_Ranch/whats_really_in_pet_food.htm

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2005
2:22 AM

Post #1901933

We fed ours Innova dry for several years, but when push came to shove and we needed to help our parents, Emma began eating Purina ONE. She's doing wonderfully on it. Ironically, she has smaller stool with it than the premium Innova. Her coat's great, too. Our other dog has to eat Prescription C/D because she's a bladder stone factory otherwise! ;)

The first Purina ONE formula we fed Emma was the sensitive stomach one and it had salmon as the first ingredient. Oh, man, TALK about fish breath! We switched her to another and she's still doing great - and doesn't stink.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2005 10:24 PM
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2005
1:13 AM

Post #1903664

you know come to think of it my son says Skillet's breath smells like tunafish--- science diet - puppy smells really fishy yuck!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America