Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Brugmansias: How to winter over datura?

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 8, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zinnia
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2001
3:37 AM

Post #8049

Some very generous folks sent me some datura seedlings and seeds this year. So far the seedlings are about10" tall, do you think they will bloom? The ones from seeds are about 3" tall, any hope for them? I have them planted in galvanized buckets and would like to know how I can save them through the winter in zone 6? Any suggestions for this curious newbie? Thanks
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2001
12:00 PM

Post #91881

daturas are generally grown as annuals. Sometimes they will come back. I'd save seeds:)
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2001
4:59 PM

Post #91960

Zinnia: Which kind of daturas are you growing. I have overwintered datura innoxia in a greenhouse. It now has woody stems and blooms profusely. I have also overwintered datura double purple. It is about 5 feet tall and covered in blooms for a second year. ( seeds from Thompson and Morgan, sold as brugmansia x candida black current swirl) It is definitely not a brug but absolutely beautiful.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2001
6:21 PM

Post #91980

that is so good to know brugcrazy!!!! Think of what I can have next year:) thanks!!
nefer
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2001
2:35 AM

Post #92139

Zinnia- I have a triple yellow Datura that is on its' second year and is also blooming like crazy. I over wintered it in an unheated garage. I would save seeds though. Never can tell what might happen
zinnia
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2001
2:41 AM

Post #92143

Nefer, did you cut back your datura before putting it in the garage and did you water it through the winter?
purpleiris
Powell, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2001
3:32 AM

Post #92155

I have a picture of a datura on the photo forum (although it looks like a brug 'cause it is hanging down). I didn't do anything to mine but clear away the dead stems when they died back. This is my first year with datura and brugs so we will see.
nefer
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2001
1:24 PM

Post #92239

Zinnia-No,I didn't cut it back but maybe I should have.I watered it only enough to keep it from drying out. But remember , you are in zone 6 and I am in 8. I have a double purple that I think I will try to over-winter this time,as well as save seeds. I have Innoxia, Torna Loco and a Brugmansia that are on their own for next year.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
9:05 AM

Post #94623

D. innoxia is reliably root-hardy throughout Zone 7, and I've talked to several people who have it coming back from the root in Zone 6. If you want to take yours inside, I'd suggest you don't try to keep it from going dormant---this seems to sort of 'recharge' the batteries for next year's growth. Keep above freezing, with good but indirect light, and water sparingly. Increase both water and light around late March, and give her room!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America